Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 9th August 2009, 00:32   #646
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
I am not sure if I got your point. Went through hydrogenaudio link as well, but it went all over the head! This HU does NOT support WAV, given that will WavPack be of any use?
Ooops I thought the HU supported WAV. In that case much of what was said on that linky was not needed.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 21:22   #647
BHPian

As it has been a while since I started using this HU, I am discovering nuances. This one is regarding audio CD-text - when I play CDs on computer/laptop (say using windows media player with cd-text plugin), it reads album name, album artist, track names and individual artist names for each track. However, the HU seems to be reading only "album-artist" field and displaying it for all songs. If that field is empty it shows something like "no title" or something, but still doesn't show individual song's artist, which would have made more sense to me.

Another point to add to negatives?
Let me know if there is any way to make it read artist name separately for each track.
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 09:23   #648
BHPian

Default Bluetooth handsfree with Clarion - DIY (inspired)

Inspired by the DIY bluetooth handsfree thread on the forums - I decided to do it myself with the Clarion DXZ 785USB.

I've managed to wire an Enter bluetooth handsfree with the Clarion...and it works! A few hours of soldering, running wires and finding a mounting place for the device, I was finally able to make and attend phone calls over bluetooth (through the Aux) through the car's audio system. I've also wired the charging to the device through the car cigarette lighter adapter.

The sound quality is fairly acceptable and I've narrowed down the mounting location to cancel out echoes as much as possible. All in all - a big convenience at a fraction of the price of the company manufactured bluetooth device. Will be posting pics soon.
the_maassk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 10:43   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
Inspired by the DIY bluetooth handsfree thread on the forums - I decided to do it myself with the Clarion DXZ 785USB.

I've managed to wire an Enter bluetooth handsfree with the Clarion...and it works! A few hours of soldering, running wires and finding a mounting place for the device, I was finally able to make and attend phone calls over bluetooth (through the Aux) through the car's audio system. I've also wired the charging to the device through the car cigarette lighter adapter.

The sound quality is fairly acceptable and I've narrowed down the mounting location to cancel out echoes as much as possible. All in all - a big convenience at a fraction of the price of the company manufactured bluetooth device. Will be posting pics soon.
That was my DIY thread. In Pioneer 5090 the volume had to be pumped up while taking a call. Hows the 785 reacting when you just switch to AUX and take a call.

I never found time to shift this into zen from esteem.
shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 10:51   #650
BHPian

shreyasma - Thanks for the inspiration mate!

The 785 has Aux sensitivity settings - low, mid and high. At mid sensitivity, I have to push the volume up only three notches. I normally hear music at a volume of 13 and for a call, I have to push it to 16 (in mid setting).

I've kept it at high right now. So, just switching source to Aux on a phone call gives me good volumes (albeit a little hiss).
Old 14th August 2009, 11:10   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
shreyasma - Thanks for the inspiration mate!

The 785 has Aux sensitivity settings - low, mid and high. At mid sensitivity, I have to push the volume up only three notches. I normally hear music at a volume of 13 and for a call, I have to push it to 16 (in mid setting).

I've kept it at high right now. So, just switching source to Aux on a phone call gives me good volumes (albeit a little hiss).
Thats some good news man..
My nomal listening (Blasting!) volume is 18. So at high sensitivity setting, when I take a call, I should feel the presence of the person in the car?

I will do that in a couple of days with some pics for the 785 users

Last edited by shreyasma : 14th August 2009 at 11:18.
Old 14th August 2009, 11:59   #652
BHPian

Shreyas and mask, I think your amp gains are set a bit too high. In my opinion you should reduce them such that "normal" listening is about 25-27, leaving a "head room" up to 33 whenever you get an urge to crank it up all the way! Remember, we have been boasting about 6V pre-outs, make use of it. Increase volume from phone/BT device as much as possible and then you may want to lower default aux-in sensitivity from "medium" to "low" instead of increasing. That should reduce hiss in both your music and conversation. (my 2 cents)
Old 14th August 2009, 12:24   #653
BHPian

Santosh,

20 on HU is 90% any person can take in my car, even with windows down.
So the remaining 10% is achieved @ 26. I quite like the way it is now. I personally set the gains to get this.

But yes I had tried what you have stated above before I ended up at this :-)
Old 14th August 2009, 12:33   #654
BHPian

That is fine, you can have it whatever way you want! But, aren't you "wasting" 26-33 range then? BTW, I presume you are aware of the fact that high level listening can permanently deteriorate your hearing(?). Back in college, nobody told me that, and I might have already lost some hearing because I used to listen to headphones very loudly!
Old 14th August 2009, 12:40   #655
BHPian

My experience with the Clarion DXZ 785USB:

Alright It's been about a month since I first powered up my 785 and I haven't let her sleep much at all.

I average around 3-5 hours of ICE usage a day.

I am however now a simpleton when it comes to HUs. I need the basic features and they have to be easy to access. I don't want to ever stop my car on the shoulder and have to fiddle around to find something.

First Impressions: The definite cool factor of having a new HU was there, but died off in about 2 days. The SQ was much better than the Alpine stock system. The muticolour scroll that comes out of the box was irritating to the core! I'm glad all my instrumentation lighting is white, so the unit set to silky white actually looks kinda OEM. The slidetrack had novelty factor, and I was busy trying to wrap my head around the idea of not pressing the HU, but sliding it.

Now: I'm quite used to the slidetrack, and I love the SQ. My amps are good, and I definitely trust them to deliver the best possible SQ being amongst the ultimate amps . I find that most of the controls, even options to increase and lower subwoofer volume is easily accessable. However I find that the HU is extremely cramped. Many a time when I try to change the from CD to USB or AUX I often hit the eject button or the options button. This gets on my nerves. I have finally programmed my steering wheel controls with the controller I purchased, and life is a lot easier now. I love the preout voltage, and the clarity with which my music is delivered to my ears.

I do also understand that the other components have the major role to play in my pure SQ setup, but the weakest link in the set up being my Clarion HU, well all I can say is that I've not been let down.

Tuning: Done by my tuner, and I don't mess with it, only with sub volume, depending on my mood.
Listening volumes: 25-30. No it's not that I've set my gains that low, yes they are low for the power my setup has on tap, but boy does it get LOUD at 30! (NOTE: At voulmes of 30 or above it is recommended that you stand outside the car, as in the car even with the windows down you risk acute noise induced deafness)

Likes: Novelty factor for others never dies out; cheap; good SQ; controls well laid out; looks so simple doubt people would want to steal it (Works for me).

Dislikes: Looks so simple your friends make fun of it and you (LOL); good SQ (tracks you used to enjoy, well you'll hate it as those 128Kbps MP3s just don't cut it on this system!); rear AUX wire means you have to mount it somewhere or keep it in your glove compartment and keep opening it for everyone and their iPOD (My USB stick stays where it is, and I don't tell others that the player reads iPODs)

Bottom line: It has it's quirks, but in the end it delivers what it promises.
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 13:01   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
My experience with the Clarion DXZ 785USB:
Bottom line: It has it's quirks, but in the end it delivers what it promises.
You still don't listen to the radio?
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 13:13   #657
Distinguished - BHPian

@the_maassk: Could you please post a detailed DIY on this
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 13:27   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Shreyas and mask, I think your amp gains are set a bit too high. In my opinion you should reduce them such that "normal" listening is about 25-27, leaving a "head room" up to 33 whenever you get an urge to crank it up all the way! Remember, we have been boasting about 6V pre-outs, make use of it. Increase volume from phone/BT device as much as possible and then you may want to lower default aux-in sensitivity from "medium" to "low" instead of increasing. That should reduce hiss in both your music and conversation. (my 2 cents)
I also set the gains myself and it took me 2 days to do it to my liking! I can easily pump up the volumes without any distortion (and that is LOUD!). The max I use (when I am in the mood) is 25. I have sufficient range to suit my usage. There is no hiss in my music at any time.

The hiss in the phone audio is the inherent GSM line noise. At mid gain for the aux, the sound is fairly acceptable. To each his own though.
Old 14th August 2009, 13:30   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
@the_maassk: Could you please post a detailed DIY on this
I'm hoping to take a few pictures of the setup tomorrow to accompany the details. Will post.

EDIT - Thread Posted Here

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th August 2009 at 15:21. Reason: added new thread's url
Old 14th August 2009, 14:24   #660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG
Many a time when I try to change the from CD to USB or AUX I often hit the eject button or the options button. This gets on my nerves.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1369451-post469.html
And I got boo'd for this!
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote