Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2009, 14:39   #661
BHPian
 
DocG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai - Singapore - Cali - Sydney - S.Korea
Posts: 870
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
You still don't listen to the radio?
I think I might have listened to the Indian radio maybe 10-20 times total in the last 8 years that I've been driving. My tuner has no stations tuned lol, so when I eject my CD and don't load one for some time all I hear is static, which strangely I prefer to all the random gossip that plays on the radio...

Besides with an 8GB USB drive full of high quality niche rap and R&B including oldschool and a collection of CDs including my old DJ sets, I'm quite happy with my collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I completely understand your plight! I for one think that the placement of the source button so close to the eject and option buttons is retarded!

I hate using the remote, and have kept that safely at home. I always memorize the location of buttons I need while driving so I don't have to take my eyes off the road to operate my HU. I can't even relate the frustration it causes when you want to switch from USB to CD or vice versa and your music stops, and all you hear is static!!! This is where my steering controls come in, the PAC controller is such a good use of 50 dollars it's not even funny!

In other news I got into an accident yesterday where a private contract bus hit my car damaging my right side rear door. I have an FIR which states the same. Surprisingly there is no advice on TBhp on how to handle enraged parents who still blame their son when the police, insurance companies and co-passenger of the vehicle vouch for him. In addition, the owner of the travel company also admits the fault of his employee.

But through all this somehow my ICE still gets blamed! I am devastated that for the next few days I'll be driving one of my other cars which has stock ICE
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 11:55   #662
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 978
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
I think I might have listened to the Indian radio maybe 10-20 times total in the last 8 years that I've been driving.
I used to listen to only radio for 1st 3 years of my driving, though these days I am busy playing ACDs alone!

Quote:
My tuner has no stations tuned lol, so when I eject my CD and don't load one for some time all I hear is static, which strangely I prefer to all the random gossip that plays on the radio...
In that case you may fiddle a bit with the tuner and find out the best frequency to give you perfect static! You may also prefer AM over FM static.


Quote:
I completely understand your plight!....
It happened to me a few times, but it didn't get onto my nerves since my tuner does have valid stations stored and I prefer non-sense on radio over static!

Quote:
Surprisingly there is no advice on TBhp on how to handle enraged parents who still blame their son .......

But through all this somehow my ICE still gets blamed!
Convince your parents that lack of music or stock music is more dangerous than quality music that you are used to. Even oldies on ICE forum would agree with you.

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th August 2009 at 15:56. Reason: Splitting Post to 2 separate threads.
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 12:49   #663
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
... I prefer non-sense on radio over static!
... lack of music or stock music is more dangerous than quality music that you are used to. Even oldies on ICE forum would agree with you. ...
No, wouldn't agree.

Safe driving requires the mind to be in a calm state all the time, and it is MUSIC, and not SQ, that keeps it calm. Fretting about quality would cause mental disquiet, and your irritation might cause more damage than good, especially to others.

Your mind is never completely on the music all the time, and it tends to blend into the background when one has something to do in traffic. Complete silence is never good. It may trigger your mind to react negatively to irritants from outside the car - some music at least keeps those tendencies under control.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 12:51   #664
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 393
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Besides with an 8GB USB drive full of high quality niche rap and R&B including oldschool and a collection of CDs including my old DJ sets, I'm quite happy with my collection
Do I sense a typo here? My 8GB pen drive got filled up with high-quality content so fast it's not funny :(
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 13:40   #665
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 978
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
and it is MUSIC, and not SQ, that keeps it calm.
Agreed, I enjoy Indian oldies just for the sake of quality of lyrics or music composition or singing, and many times all of them. I definitely don't need a SQ system for them, because quality of recordings is much lagging. Given an option, I will still prefer higher SQ system with full control over sound, though. But if it is a remix of the same song (which I may enjoy as a separate entity, not as a replacement of original), then SQ system (at least a decent sub) is a must. I believe all SQ lovers are bound to be music lovers first, because otherwise why should they bother about SQ at all?

Quote:
Fretting about quality would cause mental disquiet, and your irritation might cause more damage than good, especially to others.
Exactly! If the person is already fretting then giving him a music that he considers capable of good enough SQ will help him keep cool. Isn't it better than "forcing" him to enjoy a stock system?
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 16:06   #666
BHPian
 
DocG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai - Singapore - Cali - Sydney - S.Korea
Posts: 870
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Do I sense a typo here? My 8GB pen drive got filled up with high-quality content so fast it's not funny :(
No it's full alright, but I have around 250-300 songs on there, which is enough to keep me busy for the next 4 months or so, then I'll just get another USB drive, else will delete some stuff off this one and add new stuff. I have no issues listening to the same set of songs again and again.

DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 15:34   #667
BHPian
 
DocG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai - Singapore - Cali - Sydney - S.Korea
Posts: 870
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
I used to listen to only radio for 1st 3 years of my driving, though these days I am busy playing ACDs alone!

In that case you may fiddle a bit with the tuner and find out the best frequency to give you perfect static! You may also prefer AM over FM static.


It happened to me a few times, but it didn't get onto my nerves since my tuner does have valid stations stored and I prefer non-sense on radio over static!

Convince your parents that lack of music or stock music is more dangerous than quality music that you are used to. Even oldies on ICE forum would agree with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Safe driving requires the mind to be in a calm state all the time, and it is MUSIC, and not SQ, that keeps it calm. Fretting about quality would cause mental disquiet, and your irritation might cause more damage than good, especially to others.

Your mind is never completely on the music all the time, and it tends to blend into the background when one has something to do in traffic. Complete silence is never good. It may trigger your mind to react negatively to irritants from outside the car - some music at least keeps those tendencies under control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Exactly! If the person is already fretting then giving him a music that he considers capable of good enough SQ will help him keep cool. Isn't it better than "forcing" him to enjoy a stock system?
WEll DerAlte ji, completely agree with you. Music is so important, especially for a young hot blooded person like me. But as the quality of the music increases, you find yourself in a calmer state. I no longer take my car above 110 KMph, I cuss a lot less while driving, I don't drive aggressively anymore, and I can now take my time to reach my destination.

These are the few changes I've noticed since my ICE upgrade a month back. This has also induced an increase in FE, I now get around 10-11 KM/L vs 6-8 KM/L prior to my upgraded ICE. I'm not joshing you about the FE, I drive grandma style now .

Oh and Santosh, I rarely hear the static these days as my car is seeing downtime...anyhoo the USB drive I have is keeping me busy as well. I'm currently exploring the world of Yaani and Enya, things I would never do had my system not been totaly geared towards SQ. Oh and they soung MAGNIFICENT!
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 20:50   #668
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

Oh, oh! The discussion was not about SQ v/s stock, but how to accept stock in the interim period in the absence of SQ.

SQ is about absence of irritants disturbing music. The biggest irritant is when one expects something to be there, but that is absent or not enough - like sugar in tea, or salt in food! Now, what would you do when you are faced with a situation when everything else is fine except sugar or salt is less / absent? Refuse to consume on the grounds that the absence will cause insanity?

Think again, the calmness is about you being able to control the irrational emotions, not about surroundings being good or bad. It is about being a pragmatist, not an idealist.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2009, 23:03   #669
BHPian
 
DocG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai - Singapore - Cali - Sydney - S.Korea
Posts: 870
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Oh, oh! The discussion was not about SQ v/s stock, but how to accept stock in the interim period in the absence of SQ.

SQ is about absence of irritants disturbing music. The biggest irritant is when one expects something to be there, but that is absent or not enough - like sugar in tea, or salt in food! Now, what would you do when you are faced with a situation when everything else is fine except sugar or salt is less / absent? Refuse to consume on the grounds that the absence will cause insanity?

Think again, the calmness is about you being able to control the irrational emotions, not about surroundings being good or bad. It is about being a pragmatist, not an idealist.

Oh well in that case I'm driving a lot less, and I'm back to being more aggressive. To put it simply I'm slowly dieing inside...Guess I'm more of an idealist...
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 10:34   #670
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,500
Thanked: 3,878 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
My 8GB pen drive got filled up with high-quality content so fast it's not funny :(
For some of us even the 120GB ipod is in-adequate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
I drive grandma style now .
I assume you mean Grandma Carol.

Grandma Carol is my godmother and grandma to 12 grandchildren. When we visited her last (on her 80th birthday) she took my wife for a drive to the grocery store. She cut off a SUV, gunned the engine of her 1974 Triumph Spitfire passed an impatient teenager doing 60mph and give the 'bird' to someone who cut her off in the parking lot. My wife came home with a big grin on her face. 'I love your family' she (my wife) told me later.

This is one of Grandma Carol's favourite links
1974 Triumph Spitfire Car Parts > Victoria British Ltd. Has 1974 Triumph Spitfire Car Parts In Stock
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 00:18   #671
BHPian
 
tush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 328
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Friends will the 785 bought from the US get an international warranty in India ?
tush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 13:55   #672
Senior - BHPian
 
panky12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,652
Thanked: 126 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Friends will the 785 bought from the US get an international warranty in India ?
No.. the warranty would be valid in lower 48 US states only.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:46   #673
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Good news!

For all those looking to buy Clarion 785 from US and do not want to go the KMD or FizzMall route, here is some piece of good news.

Ebay India has launched the Global Buy page. You can get anything from Ebay US website (reputed sellers) and get it shipped to your doorstep. Ebay will take care of customs and shipping.

I did a quick search for Clarion 785 and found the final shipped price of 11.8k competitive vis-a-vis KMD. Here's a link for comparo
Global Easy Buy
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 23:40   #674
BHPian
 
jithudigitised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Thiruvananthapuram
Posts: 329
Thanked: 58 Times
Default

well thats a great news from ebay.But the price remains as same as the KMD quotes.hmm
jithudigitised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 15:19   #675
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Last night found a new feature but not sure how help full will it be or whether its discussed here before or not. By pressing the menu button for more 2 sec I found that the Audio CD when on a restart, to start of with track 1 again. Incase of MP3 it restarts the particular folder one has been listening too irrespective of the CD or USB.
May or may not useful but it's always good to know some added features that are not mentioned. Also there are 3 display mods that can be selected of the remote, am sure everyone is aware of this. But din't found these features mentioned anywhere in the manual.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worthy replacement to Clarion DXZ 785 USB nishantgandhi In-Car Entertainment 19 22nd November 2011 13:07
2011 i10 Asta A/T - its Korean, its new, its fast, its red, and its coming. nirupesh Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 1 8th January 2011 10:45
Its Clarion's small brother with +bonus! ( Clarion 576 usb ) Dhams In-Car Entertainment 51 28th February 2010 23:25
ICE done for Getz. Got Clarion 785 Bapu In-Car Entertainment 26 4th December 2009 10:58
Illusion Electra 4.1 in Alto - Upgraded with Clarion DXZ 785 USB HU + 6.5 mid bass Technocrat In-Car Entertainment 110 11th September 2009 13:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:02.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks