Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 16th September 2009, 15:49   #676
BHPian

Abhishek, the first feature is indeed mentioned in the manual! ;-)

One thing I find surprising with Clarion is that when playing an MP3 CD (or a pen drive), it treats each folder as a separate CD in itself. This is why if you do 'track forward' on say song 6 of a folder containing 6 songs, it will start playing from song 1 of the same folder, instead of logically playing the first song from the next folder. That is why, pressing the menu button for 2-secs restarts the same folder, instead of say the first song from the first folder (at least that's how it has been in Pioneer and Alpine that I owned previously).
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 15:54   #677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Last night found a new feature but not sure how help full will it be or whether its discussed here before or not. By pressing the menu button for more 2 sec I found that the Audio CD when on a restart, to start of with track 1 again. Incase of MP3 it restarts the particular folder one has been listening too irrespective of the CD or USB.
May or may not useful but it's always good to know some added features that are not mentioned. Also there are 3 display mods that can be selected of the remote, am sure everyone is aware of this. But din't found these features mentioned anywhere in the manual.
Abhishek - both these features are mentioned in the user manual. Although I too stumbled upon the display-change-thru-remote accidentally. I have posted a pic also on the thread somewhere.

OT - One thing I HATE about this HU is the way it organizes tracks within the folder. It is not really alphabetical but of some other logic. My Pio 5050 used to do it on the basis of recently added/modified tracks.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 16th September 2009 at 15:58.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 16:51   #678
Senior - BHPian

hmmm My bad.. it seems I missed this part on the manual or must have not paid attention as It doesn't seem much important. But, display change I figured quiet sometime back and it's good it display the song name and the folder name together.
I am running a 32db pendrive through the USB, I categorised the songs as per the genre. Thinking that It may read the main folder "genre" folder but it doesn't. It reads the folder of the Album irrespective of what genre I had label them in.
Which actually turned out to be 510 folder so far. lol.. it's a nightmare at times to actually go through these and find the find I would wanna listen to. Looks like I have will have to figure some other way to sort this out.

Nishant@ any news on your amp ?

Last edited by Invinsible : 16th September 2009 at 16:57.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 17:17   #679
BHPian

I might have misplaced my Clarion remote. Not that I ever use a remote much (in fact that's the reason I can't remember when I used it last). Will try finding it again under the seats, in the boot or similar places, or else just forget all about it .
Old 6th October 2009, 21:44   #680
BHPian

Guys, did anybody try to use a big sized (160-250GB or higher) portable USB HDD with this HU? (greenh0rn, you had plans?)
Any issues with power supply or shocks/vibrations?

BTW, I am going to get an ipod-touch as a gift from company, trying to make it ipod-classic instead. I know touch is much much better in terms of features, but right now I am drooling over HDD in ipod classic (120GB or 160GB I believe, touch has much lesser memory), to such an extent that can trade off touch/bigger screen, wifi, windows/internet, BT, games etc! Both will extend ability to play Apple-lossless format, which is of not much use if storage is limited.

If I don't get classic, shall buy a HDD and use 320kbps mp3s. ebay-India seems to be flooded with following makes- transcent, segate, maxtor, buffalo. Many of the disks below 500GB seems to be USB powered, no other provision for power source. HU manual doesn't mention how much current it can source through USB slot but it is compatible with USB 2.0/1.1. Similarly HDD also just mention USB 2.0/1.1 compatible. Doest that mean HU will be sufficient to power them? Any recommendation regarding brands? Please help!
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 22:31   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Guys, did anybody try to use a big sized (160-250GB or higher) portable USB HDD with this HU? (greenh0rn, you had plans?)
Any issues with power supply or shocks/vibrations?

If I don't get classic, shall buy a HDD and use 320kbps mp3s.
Santosh, this is strictly my personal experience, you be your own judge. I currently use a 8Gb pen drive with 320kbps MP3s and with my 1-1 and half hour daily drive, I have realized that it will take me 1-2 months to listen all the songs on the pen drive. Besides, the HU user interface is quite clumsy as it is- you can't show the list of folders, so cycling folders to hunt for 'that' particular song or 'that' album gets awfully tedious once you load some 70-odd folders on to this pen drive.

In fact, I am now thinking of buying a couple of 4GB pen drives next to break out my music (1 pen for rock, 1 for Hindi, 1 for Pop/Easy listening types).

So, again my advice-

1. Go for a 160GB HDD if you really want to carry your entire music collection on a single device (for what it is worth, my 320kbps collection is hardly worth some 17 Gigs now), and if you don't mind the tedious job of cycling through hundreds of folders through a non-helpful user interface.

2. Go for multiple 4GB (or even 8GB) drives, spread your music collection evenly on them (if you don't mind the extra cost per GB, and having to change drives everytime you want to listen to a different genre/artist or whatever way you sort your music.

A bit off topic, I've begun to miss the special thrill I used to feel when listening to my favourite song, when it came on radio, or even when we had tapes and had to fast forward/rewind, then fast forward/rewind some more, to get to it. Now with gigabytes of storage keeping all your favourite music literally a few clicks away, that thrill is gone. I enjoyed my music more back then in the olden days.
Old 6th October 2009, 23:33   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
I currently use a 8Gb pen drive with 320kbps MP3s and with my 1-1 and half hour daily drive, I have realized that it will take me 1-2 months to listen all the songs on the pen drive. Besides, the HU user interface is quite clumsy as it is- you can't show the list of folders, so cycling folders to hunt for 'that' particular song or 'that' album gets awfully tedious once you load some 70-odd folders on to this pen drive.
+1 to that. I have plugged in a 16GB thumb drive with the Clarion, fully loaded with my music collection. Once you are in a mood to listen to a particular song, by the time you fiddle with the clumsy controls on the HU to locate that track, you have already reached the destination.

This is basically due to the reason that one cannot jump through the folders. The folders have to be accessed one after the other. You have to be actually patient to play your desired track.

Say I've just plugged in my thumb drive which is fully loaded with a hundred folders full of mp3's. To play the first track in the 70th folder, I need to slide that freakin' button 70 number of times!

Pretty much annoying.

@santosh:
I'd suggest this option. Convenient and hassle free.
Quote:
2. Go for multiple 4GB (or even 8GB) drives, spread your music collection evenly on them (if you don't mind the extra cost per GB, and having to change drives everytime you want to listen to a different genre/artist or whatever way you sort your music.

Last edited by live2drive : 6th October 2009 at 23:37.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 19:19   #683
BHPian

I agree, searching for a particular song or album from HU is quite difficult/tedious. Wouldn't really attribute the problem to this HU alone, because I think it may not be far different on other HUs, unless there is text based search (as in ipod or computer s/w players).

Splitting into smaller collections doesn't really solve the problem, it only makes it little better. However, the same can also be done by appropriately arranging directory tree in a big HDD. HU supports hierarchies up to 8 levels. We should easily be able to use first 2 or 3 levels for the sorting you guys are suggesting. Right now I am using CDs (700MB collections!) but still it is very difficult to play a particular track. When my little daughter accompanies me, she almost invariably demands "pappu can't dance sala" first, followed by "masak kali" which is from a different CD/Album.

Normally I like to have all my collection together playing random tracks. It is like having your own radio station with high quality and no annoying chit-chat and ads. Bigger the collection the better, because every song comes as a surprise. There is no fun if you can predict what is coming next! With 320kbps, 120GB may look pretty huge, but if it is loss-less then soon it will get filled. (17GB becomes roughly 45GB with FLACs and 75GB with WAVs). Not that it is really required to go lossless, but why not if you happen to have that capability and big space. At least until you get a feeling of running out of space.

greenh0rn, regarding the thrill of waiting for song on radio- you can reclaim it by having a huge collection and depending upon random playing mode to reach your favorite track! If you want to go back to cassettes, then I have a lot of them lying idle! Clicking 70 or more times should be surely more difficult than old day's forward/reverse buttons, so ideally you should be more thrilled with that. BTW, this HU allows you to move by 5 songs back and forth at a time, but not sure if the same is possible with folders.
Old 7th October 2009, 19:40   #684
Distinguished - BHPian

Well if you have random songs, it would be difficult to find & play a particular song. The list feature isnt as good as it is on Pioneer HUs

Also even if you arrange the folders as Genre you still need to go through all folders to reach particular folder.

Anyways if you are comfortable then good
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 19:49   #685
BHPian

What I meant was that let us say you want to create 3 collections of 4GB each. Then you can just create 3 folders under HDD's root, and select the required "4GB pen drive". It will be definitely easier than physically disconnecting a pen drive and attaching another one! What you do thereafter will be same anyway

PS: Can you elaborate a bit on what exactly other HUs (1-DIN only) provide with their listing function? Just curious.

Last edited by santosh.s : 7th October 2009 at 19:51.
Old 7th October 2009, 19:56   #686
Distinguished - BHPian

A Pioneer 5090 (dont remeber the exact model number but costs around 10k) allows to view the list of folders & then go insides each folder & view the list of songs, you can then select any song. It is much easy to browse.

In the 785 you get the listing only on 1/3rd of screen & lists only whats inside the folder. I have not been able to lists folders in CDs or USB drive.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 20:06   #687
BHPian

You meant it will trace all existing folders till leaf level, and list them instead of listing just contents of the current folder? and how many (roughly) directories are displayed at a time?
Old 7th October 2009, 20:11   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
What I meant was that let us say you want to create 3 collections of 4GB each. Then you can just create 3 folders under HDD's root, and select the required "4GB pen drive". It will be definitely easier than physically disconnecting a pen drive and attaching another one! What you do thereafter will be same anyway

PS: Can you elaborate a bit on what exactly other HUs (1-DIN only) provide with their listing function? Just curious.
Its like this on the Pioneers

It will list the Folders and tracks in the root. When a folder is selected, it will list the tracks inside

Name:  Folders.JPG
Views: 271
Size:  17.3 KB
shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 23:08   #689
BHPian

Dont know if anyone has already posted this. But I was just going through the Clarion website for user manual of 785 and I observed that its showing it as a "New Model". Was this already indicating as New Model when this thread was started or they have come up with some changes and now flashing it as a new model? Although the year shows 2008.

Clarion U.S.A. | DXZ785USB

Going through the specs now to find any change.

Last edited by tush : 7th October 2009 at 23:23.
tush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 23:42   #690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive
+1 to that. I have plugged in a 16GB thumb drive with the Clarion, fully loaded with my music collection. Once you are in a mood to listen to a particular song, by the time you fiddle with the clumsy controls on the HU to locate that track, you have already reached the destination.
+2.
For a while, I actually used the CD player alone.
The biggest drawback of this is that it diverts your attention from the road which is DANGEROUS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn
A bit off topic, I've begun to miss the special thrill I used to feel when listening to my favourite song, when it came on radio, or even when we had tapes and had to fast forward/rewind, then fast forward/rewind some more, to get to it. Now with gigabytes of storage keeping all your favourite music literally a few clicks away, that thrill is gone. I enjoyed my music more back then in the olden days.
Which is why I'm still a fan of the radio inspite of the pathetic quality.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote