Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 9th October 2009, 00:24   #706
Senior - BHPian

Mi10@ you can look out at Amazon.com, ebay.com, buy.com, compuplus.com.
Search Clarion DXZ785USB on google you may get more options.

Nitrous@ Kenwood x693 is a good choice/alternative, but am not too sure if it could do 3 way active and set individual gain like the Clarion.
Overall it's the sound that matters, Kenwood though produces clean sound but I prefer the sound on the Clarion which is bit more neutral. But, than again each one of us has preferences.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 08:59   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Where can i get this HU,

tried out online car stero, Sonic electronics and woofesetc..they don't seem to stock this now
Amazon.com: Clarion DXZ785USB CD/MP3/WMA/ACC Receiver with CeNET Control, Time Alignment, 3-Way Crossover, Rear USB Port, Satellite Radio Ready: Electronics

NEW 08 CLARION DXZ785USB CD/MP3 CAR PLAYER AUDIO STEREO - eBay
shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 15:12   #708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Sir, I quote my previous post here. Hope this clarifies.
OK, in that case what are the options in other players ?

P.S You can just hold the button till you come closer to that 70 & then do individual hops.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 15:22   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
I agree, searching for a particular song or album from HU is quite difficult/tedious
Right now I am using CDs (700MB collections!) but still it is very difficult to play a particular track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Well if you have random songs, it would be difficult to find & play a particular song. The list feature isnt as good as it is on Pioneer HUs. Also even if you arrange the folders as Genre you still need to go through all folders to reach particular folder.
Quote:
What I meant was that let us say you want to create 3 collections of 4GB each. Then you can just create 3 folders under HDD's root, and select the required "4GB pen drive". It will be definitely easier than physically disconnecting a pen drive and attaching another one!
Quote:
A Pioneer 5090 (dont remeber the exact model number but costs around 10k) allows to view the list of folders & then go insides each folder & view the list of songs, you can then select any song. It is much easy to browse.

In the 785 you get the listing only on 1/3rd of screen & lists only whats inside the folder. I have not been able to lists folders in CDs or USB drive.
Quote:
You meant it will trace all existing folders till leaf level, and list them instead of listing just contents of the current folder? and how many (roughly) directories are displayed at a time?
Quote:
Yes, roughly 4 or 5 directories(not sure) are listed on screen but these can be very easily scrolled unlike the Clarion & if you want to go inside the folder just select that one & go inside. Most PIO's have a dial so scrolling is much easier than using the up/down button in the 785.
Observation: Clarion HU does not list folders- it only lists songs in a particular folder. So you cannot 'select' a folder. Therefore, suppose your pen drive has 3 master folders with 5 sub-folders each, the HU will treat the pen drive as having 15 folders. It has no regards for the root/leaf structure.

Suggestions:

1. Having multiple pen drives of smaller capacity is perhaps the best solution. You can have limited number of folders to play around with.

2. It will also help to design the folder/file structure such that each folder contains a large number of songs. Reason being, the list feature actually lists only songs, and you can actually move forward the list with 5 songs at a time. Hence, navigating songs in a folder is always easier than navigating folders.

3. I'd advise against using CDs as the primary source with this HU. It comes with motorized faceplate - a feature that can develop some issues after months of frequent use. Not to discourage anyone from using CDs at all, but let's say you can avoid changing the disc 10 times every day Of course if you have a large audio CD collection, you should seriously look at investing in a CD changer. Or just take a chance with the faceplate motor.

4. With the limited display screen, it is best to edit the song names (on your PC of course) so that a track title like 01-Alan Parsons Project - Eye in The Sky.mp3 is reduced to Eye in the sky.mp3. It really helps in using the list feature.

5. On a pen drive, you might notice a hugely decreased seek speed (time it takes for the HU to start playing after inserting a pen drive goes up) if you have made any changes to the files- like added/removed a folder or two, changed song titles etc. The best way to cure it is to dump the entire contents of pen drive on to a temp drive on your hard disk, format the pen drive, and then cut+paste the contents back from HDD to pen drive. You'll notice that the HU reads pen drive much quicker now.
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 16:22   #710
Distinguished - BHPian

@green : Thats what I have been saying, one cant list folders in this HU but only songs in a folder, that too is abit cumbersome if you have lots of song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Sir, I quote my previous post here. Hope this clarifies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post

P.S You can just hold the button till you come closer to that 70 & then do individual hops.
If I hold the Folder button either or Down it only acts once.

Are you sure if you hold it will keep scrolling through folders?
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 16:54   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Observation: Clarion HU does not list folders- it only lists songs in a particular folder. So you cannot 'select' a folder.
Quote:
@green : Thats what I have been saying, one cant list folders in this HU but only songs in a folder, that too is abit cumbersome if you have lots of song.
Pardon me if I am not really getting your point. Are you people saying it does not display folder names at all? If so, refer to my old posts #395 and #402. Have you tried various title modes?
(how easy or difficult it is to browse through them, as compared to pioneers, is a different subject)
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 22:47   #712
BHPian

Santosh, the display certainly displays the folder name, if you have selected 'title scan' mode (where it cycles between folder, track, artist etc.) or explicitly choose the folder display mode. All Techno and I are saying is that you cannot 'select' a folder from a list of folders- you can merely scroll through the folders one at a time.

This is a drawback compared to the Pioneers. How I wish there was some way to do a firmware upgrade and overcome this limitation.
Old 23rd October 2009, 13:55   #713
BHPian

I got a new DXZ75USB delivered by a friend from USA last week. He forgot to give me the remote battery and I tried to find one at navi Mumbai with no success. The battery number is CR2025 (I think) and have no idea where I can source it from, especially here in Pune. Any help will be appreciated.
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 14:24   #714

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I got a new DXZ75USB delivered by a friend from USA last week. He forgot to give me the remote battery and I tried to find one at navi Mumbai with no success. The battery number is CR2025 (I think) and have no idea where I can source it from, especially here in Pune. Any help will be appreciated.
Hey SPARKled,

You should be getting this battery from any of the electrical shops, electronic or computer shops. This is one of the common batteries used in many things, ex: remote, motherboard, etc.
deepax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 08:43   #715
BHPian

Finally I got my white apple as expected- 8GB Ipod touch, which I exchanged with 160GB Ipod Classic.

Haven't started using it yet. However I believe it will offer many benefits over cheaper HDD or pen drive options:

1. Allow me to use one of the main features of the HU- direct Ipod connectivity.
2. Allow me to play lossless from 160GB HDD (to be confirmed, not tested!).
3. Allow me to play "the song" or "the album" or "the artist" much much more easily, thereby overcoming one of the weak points of the HU, which is difficulty in browsing.
4. As Apple calls it, I can have lifetime collection with 160GB and it won't be limited to car alone. It can be taken anywhere as and when need, serving as the audio/video Ipod.
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:17   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Finally I got my white apple as expected- 8GB Ipod touch, which I exchanged with 160GB Ipod Classic.
Congrats santosh! A 160GB Ipod is anyday more preferable to a 2GB, 4GB, 8GB pen drive or a 160GB, 320GB portable hard disk. I am sure you're gonna enjoy the greater control and flexibility- not to mention the ability to play lossless (hope it does work out). Do post your experiences here soon!
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:37   #717
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys I have a question. How easily can the TA be switched on & Off?

I mean plain on & off without wiping out the existing settings.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:47   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Havent tried, but I guess selecting "All Seat" option to one over-rides the TA. (Logically, these 2 options are mutually exclusive).

At the same time, your TA settings are untouched.
Quote:

Haven't started using it yet. However I believe it will offer many benefits over cheaper HDD or pen drive options:

1. Allow me to use one of the main features of the HU- direct Ipod connectivity.
2. Allow me to play lossless from 160GB HDD (to be confirmed, not tested!).
3. Allow me to play "the song" or "the album" or "the artist" much much more easily, thereby overcoming one of the weak points of the HU, which is difficulty in browsing.
4. As Apple calls it, I can have lifetime collection with 160GB and it won't be limited to car alone. It can be taken anywhere as and when need, serving as the audio/video Ipod.
I am a bit confused here. How can iPod be used to play lossless on the 785? AFAIK, the 785 connects to an iPod using a standard USB cable (to which you would connect a flash disk /external HDDas well). So it would be using the HU's DAC na?

Or are you planning to connect your iPod through AUX / iPod adapter (if such a thing exists)?

Secondly, if you connect your iPod to the 785, do you browse the songs/playlists/folders on the iPod or the HU?

Disclaimer - I have never tried iPod with this HU so hence the nOOb question.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 3rd November 2009 at 11:54.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:50   #719
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, I am aware of that but I want to know from someone who has tried it
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:58   #720
BHPian

Quote:

I guess setting "All seats" to ON switch off the TA in 785.

EDIT : Yes, I have tried that.

Last edited by LionX : 3rd November 2009 at 12:00.
LionX is offline   Reply With Quote