Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 3rd November 2009, 12:01   #721
BHPian

I have a 4th gen Ipod U2 special edition 20GB model which is included as a model compatible with the DXZ785USB. Still I am getting an Error2. Any ideas?
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:46   #722
Distinguished - BHPian

Well the manual says this for the various error codes,

Check the Files types that you are using in your iPod

Name:  785.JPG
Views: 1066
Size:  72.0 KB
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:50   #723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Well the manual says this for the various error codes,

Check the Files types that you are using in your iPod
They are all mp3 files. Looked up on other car audio sites and found out tha like older generation Ipods are a lottery with this HU and you are better off with a newer ipod to be surely compatible.
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:46   #724
Distinguished - BHPian

Why dont you try putting in MP3 files which are encoded differently or may be a WMA & confirm if its the file format or the iPod.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:56   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I am a bit confused here. How can iPod be used to play lossless on the 785? AFAIK, the 785 connects to an iPod using a standard USB cable (to which you would connect a flash disk /external HDDas well). So it would be using the HU's DAC na?
As per what I have understood so far about USB connection to this HU, it has 3 modes-

1. USB mode- It connects to a flash or HDD drive using standard USB protocol (apparently referred as "USB mass storage"). HU handles everything from file-system operations, accessing files and decoding them. Can not play any lossless format in this mode.

2. USB-MTP- Similar to normal USB mode but file-system operations are handled by the connected device, not HU. However still can not play lossless because decoding is done by HU itself. For a big collection, it may provide faster access as compared to normal mode.

3. USB-Ipod- In this mode it digitally communicates with Ipod using it's custom protocol over USB link. I "guess" apple could be doing decoding in this mode and sending final audio data to HU (it is reasonable to assume that it can not have analog connection through USB!). I am also making a basic assumption here that Ipod should be able to be operated as usual while connected to HU. Given that it can play apple lossless when not connected, that functionality should be preserved even after connecting it to HU.

Quote:
Or are you planning to connect your iPod through AUX / iPod adapter (if such a thing exists)?
No, that would defeat the purpose of having USB-Ipod feature itself.

Quote:
Secondly, if you connect your iPod to the 785, do you browse the songs/playlists/folders on the iPod or the HU?
HU support many browsing options like composers, playlists, artists etc. in "Ipod menu" mode. I don't think it will support text based search directly from HU (how do you type in the first place?). However, as I mentioned above I hope Ipod itself should be fully functional in case I want to do text based search directly from Ipod, rather than though HU. BTW, HU displays title information as sent by Ipod.

Quote:
Disclaimer - I have never tried iPod with this HU so hence the nOOb question.
...and I am even bigger noob, I have never used Ipod itself, no question of Ipod in cotext of 785! Let me confirm all the speculations after a few days of REAL use.

BTW, "all seats" option not only disables TA but speaker gains as well (in case you have changed them). Unlike Ipod, this feedback is based on actual use.
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:06   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
BTW, "all seats" option not only disables TA but speaker gains as well (in case you have changed them).
You running active, mate?
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:11   #727
BHPian

No, I am using passive crossover of component set. But I have set gains on both sub and component amps to the lowest position and use HU gain to keep required relative difference between components and the sub. So, like most common setups, sub to components is "active" and within components it is "passive" mid to tweeter crossover.

Last edited by santosh.s : 3rd November 2009 at 15:16.
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:25   #728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post

BTW, "all seats" option not only disables TA but speaker gains as well (in case you have changed them). Unlike Ipod, this feedback is based on actual use.
I am running it under 3 way active mode, but haven't faced this issue after putting the 'all seat' option on/off.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:43   #729
Senior - BHPian

Which menu are we referring to as "speaker gains"? Does it come up when the 785 is used in "Normal", i.e. front + rear + sub mode?
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 16:33   #730
BHPian

B&T, we are referring to setting called "Speaker Gain" under the menu which shows up upon long press of "sound" button (next to ISR button). It is only available in 2-way or 3-way modes, not when it is set to "Normal". (I am using 3-way mode, too)

PS. To be more clear, refer to page number 21 of the manual. It has a range of 0 to -20 dB for each channel.

Last edited by santosh.s : 3rd November 2009 at 16:37.
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:16   #731
Senior - BHPian

Understood. That's what I was thinking. It does not show up in normal mode, and I have never used the 785 in 2/ 3-way mode and thus I have never seen it.
Old 3rd November 2009, 18:17   #732
BHPian

One query will a Ipod with Rockbox firmware work with Ipod ready H.U's.
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 12:43   #733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Understood. That's what I was thinking. It does not show up in normal mode, and I have never used the 785 in 2/ 3-way mode and thus I have never seen it.
What's your feedback on this HU, Ajay? (Asking since you get to hear so many different HUs)
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 16:02   #734
BHPian

Update on Ipod connectivity:
It was difficult to get time to try it out (had received it towards the end of a week long vacation, should have got it in the beginning instead). However, my patience ran out and I did some basic testing yesterday/today.

The bad first- my basic assumption turned out to be wrong. Whenever Ipod is connected to HU, normal controls are seized, only song information and playing status is displayed on it's screen. Just like when it is connected to a PC, only communication possible is through itunes software in this mode. So one can not use text search while it is connected, and (as expected) it is not possible through HU either.

The good part-

1. HU detected the Ipod and seems to play audio files flawlessly. When connected, it can only be operated through HU controls. (This is the latest classic-160GB model manufactured in October 09).

2. HU supprts a major subset of browsing options available in Ipod itself. As mentioned in the manual, you can browse by "Composers" , "Playlists", "Artists", "Albums", "Songs" and "Genres".

3. Up-Down keys on the HU replace Ipod's "click wheel" during browsing. It is easier as compared to normal folder browsing. You can scroll fast in a list by pressing and holding up-down keys, NO need to press them repeatedly! Based on some earlier comments, for normal folder browsing that may not be the case.

4. Ipod's text search CAN be used, though in a round about way- you have to disconnect it first, do whatever search you want and start playing the shortlisted songs list. Then connect it back, it plays only from that list! HU is enough to do basic control actions thereafter, like repeat/random, previous/next song etc.

5. You CAN play apple lossless through Ipod, as expected. So, I hope other lossless formats (wav and aiff) should also be usable.
Old 4th November 2009, 17:56   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
What's your feedback on this HU, Ajay? (Asking since you get to hear so many different HUs)
It's a nice head unit. And its an absolute steal for those that are managing to land these at Rs. 7k odd. It's really feature packed, what with TA, active mode etc.

The sound quality is also fairly good. Not as good as most of the Alpines, but still better than most other gear that we can buy locally. I installed a few of the new Kenwoods recently, and I think this sounds nearly as good.

I hate the looks, controls and the display, and the fact that any of the DSP settings cannot be saved as presets.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 4th November 2009 at 17:57.