Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 21st December 2009, 15:01   #751
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhams View Post
regret me if this sound hiking u guys-Technocrat & Sparkled but i am anxious to know about 2 way & 3 way active. I assume mine setup : 6x9 rear & 4"coax front runs by hu is 2 way?
no it isnt two way it is more like fullrange - 6x9's and coaxials most of the time will not be actively crossed over and are regarded as a single fullrange speaker

if you speak of a system then two way is when the speakers are separated by a crossover for example a subwoofer would be lowpassed and then you could have your coaxials highpassed then thats two way

if you are speaking about a front stage only independent of the subwoofer then a two way front stage would be when a midrange driver and tweeter are in separate locations and controlled by a crossover and a three way front stage would be when you have seperated midbass (probably in door locations) and midrange drivers (either in kick panels or A-pillars) and then a set of tweeters (also in kicks or a-pillars)

a two way frontstage with a subwoofer would be a three way system while a three way front stage with a subwoofer is regarded as a 4 way system
naughty001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 17:05   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
hmm I too thought that it can only do 3 way active.

How are you planning to achieve 4 way active setup?
Clarion 785 is indeed a 2/3 way active setup. Currently am running 2 way comps in front with coax on doors and a sub with the help of 6 channel amp(a single 4ch. & 2ch.)
Plan is to add another 4 channel amp minus the existing 2channel amp, which brings to 8 channels of amplifications.
Will be running the front setup i.e. Tweeter under 'Highs' and midwoofer under 'Mid'. On the 'sub' output will playing the rear coax bandpassed with the help xover on the amp. Take the preout from the channels running rear coax and feed to the sub channel. Again the amp xover will do the needful for the sub control.
TA will be added to the both the tweeters, midwoofer and to just left coax leaving the right coax without any TA. Since the sub doesnt require any TA will be using the LINE output of right coax from the amp, split with Y-cable and feed it to Input of sub channel on the other amp, driving sub under bridge mode.

In the end Tweeters and midwoofer can be controlled through headunit. Rear coax will be bandpassed through amp and sub will controlled through the sub remote with LPF being used of the amp.

Last edited by Invinsible : 21st December 2009 at 17:12.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 10:46   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Will be running the front setup i.e. Tweeter under 'Highs' and midwoofer under 'Mid'. On the 'sub' output will playing the rear coax bandpassed with the help xover on the amp. Take the preout from the channels running rear coax and feed to the sub channel. Again the amp xover will do the needful for the sub control.
Since the sub doesnt require any TA will be using the LINE output of right coax from the amp, split with Y-cable and feed it to Input of sub channel on the other amp, driving sub under bridge mode.

In the end Tweeters and midwoofer can be controlled through headunit. Rear coax will be bandpassed through amp and sub will controlled through the sub remote with LPF being used of the amp.
Hi Abhishek, don't you think a better option will be to use the mids output (from the HU) and split it to feed both woofers at the front, and coaxes behind? Since you have separate amplification for the rear coaxes, you could control the gains and thus the volume. Similarly, since your primarily requirement is to run the coaxes as bandpassed, this fits in perfectly with the front woofers who need bandpass anyway. Just curious to know why you didn't think of this choice instead of splitting the sub's output.
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 15:07   #754
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok I will try to put it in simple terms

You will select the 3 way mode

1 - goes to tweets

2 - goes to mid range/mid woofer

3 - gets split between rear coax & sub using amp's XO

Right?

Also I did not understand this bit, as in why TA wont be needed for sub? Also the rear coax would only give out lower frequencies(as in not the ones which high & mid would) so what's the gain? Besides wont the TA go for a toss?

Quote:
to just left coax leaving the right coax without any TA. Since the sub doesnt require any TA will be using the LINE output of right coax from the amp, split with Y-cable and feed it to Input of sub channel on the other amp, driving sub under bridge mode.
I too would recommend the same setup as greenh0rn has mentioned.
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 18:44   #755
BHPian

Yeah on the contrary, the only speakers that don't require any TA in a car is driver-side midbass and tweeter (and midrange, if any). Rest, all need TA, sub the maximum (since it is farthest), followed by passenger-side speakers. Gurus, please correct if i am wrong.
Old 22nd December 2009, 20:41   #756
BHPian

I think if HU takes in "distance" (which is the case with 785), then the closest speaker need not have any TA setting (it can be left at zero). On the other hand, if you are supposed to directly enter "delay" then the farthest speaker can be zero.
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:18   #757
Senior - BHPian

Here's the deal guys, TA works better when considered the furthest speaker and calibrate the others to make the sound travel at the same time.
In which case in my car, Fabia.. the sub is at a distance of 145cm, FR midbass at 98, FL midbass at 135, RR at 95, RL at 133 from my seating adjustment.
I delay/ or add distance to all the other speakers where the distance comes to 145 cms in order to get the music coming to my ear at the same time. Which means I leave the TA on the Sub at 0.
As of now using the Morel H.ovation 2 way comps at front and morel coax in doors. My image is right in the center of the dash high up with the sub bass giving the illusion of playing in the center of the dashboard. But, it's not that simple as it sounds, had to play around a lot with the phase to achieve the results.

In case of Active or Passive TA needs to applied to every channel leaving the sub out. Now in of Active :
Tweeter will be played in "highs" with freq. set at 3.15khz at 6 db.
Midbass will be playing in "Mids" with freq bandpassed at 63hz at 18db to 3.15khz at 12db.
Rear coax will be playing under " sub" where HP will be set at through and LP will be at 3.15khz at 6 db. Will be using the HPF of the Amp here to get it bandpassed at 200hz i.e. Rears will be playing from 200hz to 3.15khz.

Sub will be played via the line output of the rear coax channel coming from the amp. Again will be using the amp xover to set the Sub LP at 63hz or 80hz.

Now coming to the queries, it's not feasible to play the rear coax receiving the input from midbass section as there will be TA applied to the midbass as per front location/distance. If the output is taken off the midbass to the rear coax, the TA set on the midbass set will also be implied to the rear coax which would mess up the soundstage.

I am leaving the TA on RR coax to 0 as thats the channel I will be splitting the signal to supply the sub. Spliting will happen only from the line output coming for the amp channel for RR coax. TA will be applied to the RL coax in a way where it adds more presence to soundstage. Personally, I like this as the music sound more full and have been using this currently but in passive.

The setup would require 8 channel of amplification. Of 6 channel coming from the HU will be used for tweeter, midbass and coax. Further 2 channel will be taken from Rear right channel by spliting it as it has no TA applied.

The Rear coax acts as fillers more like processed rear fill. Gains is applied to the rear to the level where it just adds little presence to the front stage. Playing too much highs at the rear will pull the soundstage at the rear which is not advisable.
Active gives you the freedom of setting the gain and TA to the individual drivers where the sound from all the drivers travel at the same time and sound stage is more precise.

Ramie Paaji has heard my setup may be he can give some feedback on how it sounds with the rear fill
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:31   #758
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok this is something new & surely sounds interesting, so do post your review once you are done doing this
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 13:13   #759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Ramie Paaji has heard my setup may be he can give some feedback on how it sounds with the rear fill
True,after alot of tunning's going thru each and every feature especially tunning up the TA,finally Invisible have got the sound as he wanted The setup sounds mindblowing cant make out where the speakers/comps/10inch subwoofer is installed,no matter whereever you sit in the car you feel the soundstage coming from the center.

Clarion 785UB if you are a smooth/soft listner with too much details in the music you prefer is full VFM.One needs to audition his setup to believe it
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2009, 14:54   #760
BHPian

Confirming it once again what some fellows had said all along - this HU (Clarion 785 USB) retains its crucial settings (TA, Xover and Speaker Gain) even when it is disconnected from the car battery! I realized it today when my car was serviced- the only setting that goes bad is the clock (time), rest all is retained.
Old 27th December 2009, 01:17   #761
Senior - BHPian

There is a speaker gain setting in this HU?
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2009, 17:41   #762
BHPian

Hey Nitrous, speaker gain and Xover settings are available in active (3-way or 2-way) mode only. I'm running 3-way mode - front components set as Highs (HPFed at 63hz, 12db slope, of course there's a passive crossover in the picture here), nothing for mids, and sub LPFed at 80hz, 12db slope. If I get a good amp for sub soon, I'll not think twice before going fully active!
Old 27th December 2009, 23:34   #763
Senior - BHPian

Hi, I was referring to individual speaker gain.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2009, 01:00   #764
Senior - BHPian

Yes the gain setting can be controlled for individual channel whether it's played in "3 way" or "2 way" under active setup, including the subs i.e. both Left and right under "3 way" active.
Old 4th January 2010, 10:38   #765
BHPian

Guys, I decided for two upgrade in active 2 way setup in new Santro. Am using DXZ576usb Clarion (small brother of Clarion 785!) with front 4"cox & rear 6x9, all blaupunktised!

1. Wanna go for blue tooth adapter : As per manual, is it compulsory to go for recommended Bluetooth BB, BLT370 only. I afraid this not available in India. Can I opt any other best indian option?

2. I want to setup any one out of DVD changer or TV tuner options as illustrated in manual. (page attached hereto)Clarion DXZ576usb.pdf
Which is the best option should I go for in view of feasibility and VFM.

(EDIT) 3. Can MP3 player-sansa clip+ use thru' aux in port?

Pl suggest. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Dhams : 4th January 2010 at 10:45. Reason: to add point:3
Dhams is offline   Reply With Quote