Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 15:21   #106
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
You bet Thanks to Nishant & Frank.

Mine has already arrived in US & should be reaching me early next month.



Doesnt matter how it looks, if it delivers the SQ that we all are expecting, it will be a worthy buy
Exactly, it doesn't matter what looks are, its obvious reason it's the sound that matter for which i got this for.

Nishantgandhi: I yet got to figure out the place. All i want is someone to do clean install and wiring. Am sure i can take care of sound tuning.

One question for all I have a kicker eq. How will it sound using it along with clarion?
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 15:34   #107
BHPian
 
Proxima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 801
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Guys, for my Ikon, I have JBL GTO 738s at the rear and JBL components in the front. My HU is a Pioneer 5050. Will the Clarion DXZ 785 USB make a big difference to the sound compared to the Pioneer 5050? For now, I do not plan to go in for a Sub or an Amp. Maybe after a few months, maybe never.
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 15:49   #108
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

thanks technocrat for the change of title.

I guess i will have to import a lot many 785 in bulk.
Time to get a import license
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 16:07   #109
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 151 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Nishantgandhi: I yet got to figure out the place. All i want is someone to do clean install and wiring. Am sure i can take care of sound tuning.
Did you contact B&T (Ajay)? Which area do you stay in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Guys, for my Ikon, I have JBL GTO 738s at the rear and JBL components in the front. My HU is a Pioneer 5050. Will the Clarion DXZ 785 USB make a big difference to the sound compared to the Pioneer 5050? For now, I do not plan to go in for a Sub or an Amp. Maybe after a few months, maybe never.
Pioneer 5050 is a good VFM HU. I use it. However, it is on the bright side and more focused on bling. I guess just the TA function the Clarion will make a major difference to your sound, not to mention other features like warmer and more balanced sound compared to Pio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
thanks technocrat for the change of title.

I guess i will have to import a lot many 785 in bulk.
Time to get a import license
The unit is already phased out and fast disappearing from most reputed stores. Wait for the 786 before applying for the import license!
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 16:23   #110
BHPian
 
Proxima's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 801
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Pioneer 5050 is a good VFM HU. I use it. However, it is on the bright side and more focused on bling. I guess just the TA function the Clarion will make a major difference to your sound, not to mention other features like warmer and more balanced sound compared to Pio.
Thank Nishant, I will see if I can get one for myself. Will it also improve the bass a wee bit?
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 16:26   #111
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 978
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
The 2 things that I din't like is it is Made in China and the other is say it has a Signal to noise ratio of 87dba.

How much of a difference will it make to the sound?
You won't get it so cheap unless it has that stamp, I don't bother much because it actually applies to almost everything that we buy these days!

I had similar doubt about SNR, while searching for amps. But, then I just thought about it- unlike THD, noise floor is kind of independent of signal level. Therefore SNR will vary depending upon the signal level, it will be low for weak signals and high for strong signal. The number that you are seeing is at fairly low power level (1W). At full power it should be much better. May be that is why CES-2006 has deliberately mandated this spec at low power.

Moreover, the SNR rating is for it's inbuilt amp, which I don't think it's owners would normally plan to use. Preout SNR should be far better I suppose, though it is not explicitly mentioned in even the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Mine has already arrived in US & should be reaching me early next month.
Mine has been delivered in US too


Quote:
The buttons have a good solid feel to it. On pressing them the tactile feel is good. Somehow I like the feel of it better than the alpines.
Doesnt matter how it looks, if it delivers the SQ that we all are expecting, it will be a worthy buy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
It actually looks good in real! Just that the display is a gripe and I believe once switched on, it will show its 'true colours'
For me SQ and related features would come first, ease of use and tactile feel second and looks would be the last. That said, I really liked the look very much (more so in relation to alpines). With color adjustments it would be even better, for sure!


Quote:
I know at least 2 more members going the Clarion way and waiting for it to arrive 'any day now'. I believe thats because 9887, which matches this HU the closest in terms of features is still over priced for many regular ICE'rs. At $140, this HU comes to you at the same price as a Kenwood 6539.
Exactly, there is so much price difference that I gave up on imprint.
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 16:30   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 151 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Thank Nishant, I will see if I can get one for myself. Will it also improve the bass a wee bit?
Well, bass is the territory of subwoofers! But then, you can extract whatever little possible bass effect from your rear fill by using Sound Restorer/retriever function as well as the Bass Boost.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 16:35   #113
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Thank Nishant, I will see if I can get one for myself. Will it also improve the bass a wee bit?
Am sure bass will improve a lot. Looking around with lot of reviews I read I am sure bass will sound more linear and clean. I mainly dont listen to heavy bass and more into lighter and leaner bass and am sure clarion will do the job. I decided to go for it without even hearing one and am sure its not gonna dissappoint me.

Nishantgandhi: No I haven't spoken to B&T, Ajay as yet. I am put at vileparle-juhu.

Spoken to few shops here at Milan for a dash kit for fabia. Can't find one looks like i might have to call for that too.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 16:43   #114
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 151 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Nishantgandhi: No I haven't spoken to B&T, Ajay as yet. I am put at vileparle-juhu.

Spoken to few shops here at Milan for a dash kit for fabia. Can't find one looks like i might have to call for that too.
Whatever you do, please don't go to Milan Subway. Its a personal request! I have hardly come across good/trust worthy installers there. I would refrain from going there, except for casual recee trips for price checks.

Boom would be a closer and a better option for you.

Else, FM Drive at Santacruz is good enough. He might be able to source the dash kit and harness for you also.

EDIT - I think I found what you want. Check this link. Frank Mehta had ordered his Universal Steering Remote Control from this guy, IIRC. He ships globally and prices seem competitive. e.g. you will get this dash kit for EUR 35 shipped, which is around Rs 2k

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 20th March 2009 at 16:48.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 16:55   #115
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Whatever you do, please don't go to Milan Subway. Its a personal request! I have hardly come across good/trust worthy installers there. I would refrain from going there, except for casual recee trips for price checks.

Boom would be a closer and a better option for you.
The reason I went to milan was just to source 2 din to 1 din dash kit convertor. I have known guys at Milan for 15 years now and I know as to how good they are, just bulc***.

I have had a word with boom but thought there's no harm looking around incase i find one here. Boom told me it would take 15 days to order one and to receive one.

GUNBIR: Paaji any idea on availability of dashkit?

Last edited by Invinsible : 20th March 2009 at 16:57.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 18:19   #116
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 102
Thanked: Once
Default

sonicelectronix ships this HU to India. It costs $140 + $57.38(shipping) = $197.38( roughly about Rs 10.2k )

I am ok with the price, but i have no idea of any import charges. Can anybody tell me how much extra i may need to shell out?


btw Shipping comes down to $43.5 for 5 units. so total cost/unit = $182.3(approx Rs 9.5k) . ..
katpasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009, 21:35   #117
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 978
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Be careful about direct shipping to India. There may be many taxes (official and unofficial) that you may have to shell out, plus added hassles to get clearance. At the end, it may turn out to be much costlier than you think!
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 11:26   #118
BHPian
 
sonirohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 318
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin View Post
sonicelectronix ships this HU to India. It costs $140 + $57.38(shipping) = $197.38( roughly about Rs 10.2k )

I am ok with the price, but i have no idea of any import charges. Can anybody tell me how much extra i may need to shell out?


btw Shipping comes down to $43.5 for 5 units. so total cost/unit = $182.3(approx Rs 9.5k) . ..
Got a quote for this from KMD - I was quoted 10.3 K inclusive of shipping & customs & other charges... If we order a a couple of more pieces it could probably come out to be much lesser... Waiting for the SQ reviews.
sonirohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 12:30   #119
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 102
Thanked: Once
Default

@sonirohit : thats 1 option. lets wait for some reviews here and then start a group order through KMD. Anything around 9.5k should be a good price.

My other local option am considering is a Pioneer 6050UB.
katpasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 20:15   #120
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 151 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonirohit View Post
Got a quote for this from KMD - I was quoted 10.3 K inclusive of shipping & customs & other charges... If we order a a couple of more pieces it could probably come out to be much lesser... Waiting for the SQ reviews.
I dont think quote will come down because shipping costs are generally zero at most online websites. Discounts kick in, due to bulk shipping, only when you order more number of units. Moreover, AFAIK, Sonix has this HU at a mich higher price than other stores.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 21st March 2009 at 20:23.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worthy replacement to Clarion DXZ 785 USB nishantgandhi In-Car Entertainment 19 22nd November 2011 13:07
2011 i10 Asta A/T - its Korean, its new, its fast, its red, and its coming. nirupesh Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 1 8th January 2011 10:45
Its Clarion's small brother with +bonus! ( Clarion 576 usb ) Dhams In-Car Entertainment 51 28th February 2010 23:25
ICE done for Getz. Got Clarion 785 Bapu In-Car Entertainment 26 4th December 2009 10:58
Illusion Electra 4.1 in Alto - Upgraded with Clarion DXZ 785 USB HU + 6.5 mid bass Technocrat In-Car Entertainment 110 11th September 2009 13:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:01.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks