10000-15000 20 22.73%
15000-25000 15 17.05%
Price no bar 10 11.36%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd March 2009, 10:17   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
a good head unit makes a HHHHHUGE difference, and the expensive equipment you choose after that makes no sense if you skimp on a head unit.
two things to keep in mind.

1. A chain is only as strong as the weakest link - All components needs to be equally competent.
2. Garbage in, garbage out - if you start with a poor source there is little you can do to make it better.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 10:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

I was looking for an HU that has :

1. MP3 Playback
2. USB
3. Pre-outs to add AMP later
4. Steering Remote

Budget was around 6k. Got Pioneer 5090 for 6200 Rs last year. So far have used only USB and Radio most of the time.

Will pick up a Bluetooth adapter later this year or next year.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 10:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
My minimum requirements (in no particular order) would be:
- Great sound (without artificial emphasis on any band of frequencies)
- 3 pre-outs
- Minimum 4V preout voltage. 8V would be really nice, heh, heh.
- Minimum moving parts (just enough moving parts that the HU needs to work)
- Minimum Bells and whistles (no BT, GPS, flashing lights, Happy Birthday greetings etc etc)
- Ability to switch-off the internal amp. A dead-head would be fine.
- Ability to control sub-level from the HU would be nice.
Well written by Hydra as usual...

Given the way my own system is heading, if I was looking for a one-box VFM solution then I'd also expect the following in addition to the above:

- Digital Xovers for running an active 2-way front stage + sub setup
- Multi-band EQ to compensate for accoustic anomalies specific to the vehicle in which the setup is installed
Flying Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:50   #19
BHPian

I have a Kenwood reference KCD 01

I wanted a HU that simply did nothing else but play music. NO bling..no lights, Just pure music. It serves that beautifully.
sk456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 16:28   #20
BHPian

i have a Sony CDX Gt570 in my Swift,
price:6 or 7 k i suppose
reason to buy this hu: i was not at home when dad took delivery of the care and maruti guys told him SONY is the best
chipfoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 02:06   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandan View Post
Every body will have the same experience in tbhp . I started with the same 3050 now looking for a 9887!
Dude... I have a brand new 9887 with B&W non filled just stampted by dealer without date Interested..?
D1ISTHE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 08:27   #22
BHPian

Default Pioneer DVD

My headunit is Pioneer AVH-P5750 DVD. Now resting as I installed Car PC.Will be installing it in my other car, Swift. I love its features and an ardent pioneer fan. Bought for Rs.30000/- from Dubai last year.
Cheers
dilipkumar7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 12:59   #23
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for posting again in this thread. I'd like to reinstill my requirements of a head unit.
1. Atleast 2 preouts measuring a minimum of 4v in their output. Ideally 3 preouts should cut the mustard for me.
2. Ipod connectivity. I just reinvented the ipod for myself! The ability to play flacs is quite indisposable for me. Quite a prerequisite now. Atleast Usb connectivity.
3. Time correction: paramount for me.
4. Subwoofer individual control on the hu
5. Legible display in the sunlight and acceptable appearance. You don't want to look like a fool spending 30k on a hu that looks like a chinese toy! But then again looks is never a priority over features.
5. Minimally complicated eq and a defeat mode. I don't like to dial in any effects from the hu. I like it flat. No inbuilt equalization please!
6. The ability to switch off the internal amp
7. The ability to go active in the near future. By that i stress on the expandability. Maybe hd radio hits it big this year! So the ability to extend and add on something like an hd decoder!
7. Strong fm reception. My alpine is an average performer since it doesn't catch a few frequencies since it goes in odd multiples. I want the ability to switch to even too.
8. Steering remote. This has become a MUST for me. So there MUST be a univ remote that works with it.
9. Bluetooth and mic. I now desire to add a bluetooth module to my hu. Since picking up those phone calls has become essential at times, and i'd like the music to mute or pause automatically when i pick up a call. Using the headset blocks one ear while listening to the Ice, so its a no no for me.
Call me fussy or what you like. I've been spoiled by the ice in my car, esp my 9887. Love it totally :-) cheers!
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 14:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
2. Ipod connectivity. I just reinvented the ipod for myself! The ability to play flacs is quite indisposable for me. Quite a prerequisite now. Atleast Usb connectivity.
Just a heads up. I presume you have RockBox on your iPod to play your FLACs. Once you've done that, any sort of "iPod Compatibility/Connectvity" on a HU goes for a toss because you're no longer running the Apple OS. I do not believe RockBox supports any of the communications protocols and while it is running, the device just acts as a Mass Storage Device to the outside world.

So you have to either have FLAC decoding from USB on your HU or go for the lofi way and connect a line out to the HU's AUX. While an iPod's DAC is better than your average INR 5K HU, you'll definitely be doing a proper HU no justice with this method.

If you do find a proper work around, please let me know, because I'm in the same quandary. A real solution would be a decoded PCM stream from the iPod that is delivered to the HU's DAC. That would be the best of both worlds.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 14:24   #25
BHPian

i have decided to go for pio 6050 , since it had 3 rca , usb , aux and direct sub control , VFM period .
rm_arjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2009, 15:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

immortalz! its a myth that the ipods dac is bad, the dac is a good wolfson dac unless you use the 1st gen iphone and the 6th gen ipod classic that has pathetic cirrus DACs.
you may be right that the ipods dac isnt as good as the alpine 9887, but what good is a burr brown DAC if you play 320kbps tracks off it? instead, why not burn a FLAC to audio CD OR convert FLAC's to ALAC (apple lossless: supported by all ipods) and be happy playing an uncompressed track of a slightly poor DAC than the 9887's burr brown, instead of playing a Highly compressed 320 kbps song through the alpine!
Old 9th March 2009, 09:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

This is true - the iPod's DAC is good. But, there is still the issue of analogue link from the iPod to the Alpine. I am no audiophile (and don't believe in spending lakhs on so-called audiophile grade cables), but I've found that that this single cable link creates more issues than I care to be subjected with.

I hate the iTunes shackles that come with the iPod. I love Rockbox's simplicity and versatility. There is no middle ground, is there?
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 10:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

Nope. As sorry as I am to say that there is nothing in between, we have to relent.
One option could be to get the X991 from Kenwood that does plays WAV off the USB drive. From a site I heard it plays FLAC too!
Old 9th March 2009, 10:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

@immortalz, there are 2 options:
1) As Frank said, FLAC > ALAC or FLAC > WAV. The HU will play it (though off the iPod's DAC).
2) The Alpine iDA series (not sure if all the iDAs do this) play the contents of the iPod off the HU's DAC. (exact iDA model is mentioned in a thread started by esteem_lover).
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2009, 10:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
i have decided to go for pio 6050 , since it had 3 rca , usb , aux and direct sub control , VFM period .

try panasonic 7303 before you buy 6050
chiragh_bir is offline   Reply With Quote