Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 4th April 2009, 00:40   #1
BHPian

Default Pls Help Me Seniors: 35K Spent but still not getting good sound

Hi All,

Pls let me know if you know any good installer in Delhi..

I have the following ICE installed in my i10.

Pioneer Head Unit - 6950
JBL Rear Speakers - GTO 937
JBL Loaded Enclosure GTO 1204 BR
JBL Monoblock Amp For Enclosure - CS 300.1
JBL 2 Channel Amp For Speakers - CS 60.2

I have spent 35k plus but not getting the realism in music.. As al of us know Delhi is full of horrible installers who dont do anything xcept spoiling the car interiors and euipment...

I put up in west delhi.. if anyone having good and proper knowledge regarding tuning or any of you knows any good installer pls let me know..

I m 100% sure about one thing if my system get its proper tuning done i will get quality voice as i have bought quite decent equipment....

I know one thing if at all i visit any car accessories shop first thing he will say > ' sir aapki wiring kharab hai humare paas original kit hai bolo to dikhau' ..

I wish i could install it on my own but looking at amp setting, set setting and wiring i will get back...
rohitabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 10:18   #2
BHPian

Nothing to worry rohitabc. That's a decent list of the equipments installed. What you are missing is the front soundstage. Get a good set of components upfront and that should solve your purpose.
Regarding the installation and the tuning part, you can go to GYRO (motibagh) or DRIVEN (east of kailash).
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 12:28   #3
BHPian

rohit a lot does depend on the quality of wires used. i have spent more than 5k on wires and that is just a decent setup not very high end system. and as live2drive has pointed out get a set of components in the front.
go to gyro or driven, they know their job real well. will help you with your setup for sure!
white_vdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 12:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

You don't have front speakers?
Plus you have two CS amplifiers,one of which is putting out just 200W RMS to the 4 ohm sub.

So, get a JBL GTO 607/608 for the front.
And sell those two amps and get a single JBL GTO 1004 that will run the fronts and also give 320W RMS to the sub.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 12:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Rohit, you have a good system but where are the front speakers?
First get these fitted and then decide whether any more needs to be done.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 12:40   #6
BANNED

Yes. All you need is to get your setup re done by a good installer.
He will add what is needed and take out what is not.

Go to GYRO at Motibagh, DRIVEN at GK. From my experience with different Delhi installs, they are the best.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 13:01   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Rohit,

Like everyone says, your list of equipement is decent, you should not get bad sound. Here is some comprehensive advice.

Sub: Since you have purchased a pre-boxed sub, you can be assured that the box quality and volume is perfectly matched to the driver.
The GTO1204BR will run well with the CS300.1, but I wish you had a more powerful amplifier. Still, this will sound pretty good.

Make sure you have the LPF set at 100 Hz or below. Not higher. Turn it up - enjoy your bass.

Speakers:
I can only see rear speakers in your list. Das is nicht gut!

Your CS60.2 is a 2 chanel amplifier and cannot run 4 speakers (front/rear) correctly. If you can, that's the item that needs to go and be replaced by a 4 channel amplifier, at least 50w per channel (rms).

Get a 4 channel amplifier. Get one set of 6" components for the front. Since you have already chosen JBL, you could choose the GT5 components or even GTO.

You can also get good components from brands like Hertz, Alpine, Illusion and more. If you go to Gyro as suggested by someone else, he will have a good collection of ID, Rainbow and Bull audio products. He may even have JBL and Infinity, I don't know exactly. All are good products, you can listen and choose the one you like, but you must buy a 6" component set for the front.

Now set the HPF on all 4 speakers at 80Hz or above (your installer will decide exactly - these are mere guidelines)

Make sure all the speakers are connected correctly ("+" to "+" and "-" to "-")Buss, make sure everything is wired correctly, enjoy your music.

Car audio is very simple, lol I don't know what everyone in here keeps arguing about.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 13:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Car audio is very simple, lol I don't know what everyone in here keeps arguing about.
The English language is also very simple, lol. I don't know what everyone keeps arguing about there on that language thread!

LOL, Sam, you've made a statement that could put a certain cross section of the population out of business!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 15:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
rohit a lot does depend on the quality of wires used. i have spent more than 5k on wires and that is just a decent setup not very high end system.
Totally agreed. I spent a lot on wiring too. Maybe thats the culprit. Also, with Pios, make sure the deck is tuned for max output. Their presets are horrible. Using their presets, I get terrible output but make a few of these settings and the output is INSANE!

Loud - Set to High
SLV - Set to 3
Equalizer - L -1 , M - 1 , H - 6
Highpass Filter @ 80Hz
Bass Boost @ 2
Sub @ Normal

Let me know if it works out for you... if you were in bombay, I would've done it for you...
Zahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 16:15   #10
BHPian

You definitely need a front soundstage. Get component speakers for the front and drive them with the 2 channel amp that you have. Run he rear speakers off your HU.

Not sure what car you have, but as far as possible get 6.5" components in the front. I have Boston s60's and I love them. They cost around 6k and should sound good with the JBL 2 channel that you have. Listen to a few more speakers/setup before you buy anything. []
wannabe loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 17:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post

Loud - Set to High
SLV - Set to 3
Equalizer - L -1 , M - 1 , H - 6
Highpass Filter @ 80Hz
Bass Boost @ 2
Sub @ Normal
SLV is i think related to tuner volume in comparsion to volume output of other source like cd or usb.

Unless you have good sounding components which are overpowering the sub or the chan chana chan chan is very high or in simple language the tweets are too bright setting M -1 and H -6 is not usable.

Also loud always does not make such a good difference me thinks. My personal experience was that when i was running my illusions off the head unit, i was setting the LOUD to high, but when powering them off the 75.4 i switched off LOUD and set the gains from the amp which was much better.

P.S Someone do correct if I am wrong.

Rohit do get a good set of components up front and run them off the amp. Then disconnect the 6*9's and see whether you like fronts+sub combo to your liking. Also get the wiring checked and system tuned by a good installer.

Last edited by anshu_46 : 4th April 2009 at 18:02.
anshu_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 17:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

2 things:
1. Components speakers in front
2. Good tuning by someone who knows what he is doing. I'd request you not to pay a visit back to the installer who chose to give you great equipment but forgot that there is something called a front soundstage.
I'd say, go to someone reputed like driven, gyro etc. They will guide you and tune your system according to what you want.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 18:21   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshu_46 View Post
SLV is i think related to tuner volume in comparsion to volume output of other source like cd or usb.

Unless you have good sounding components which are overpowering the sub or the chan chana chan chan is very high or in simple language the tweets are too bright setting M -1 and H -6 is not usable.

Also loud always does not make such a good difference me thinks. My personal experience was that when i was running my illusions off the head unit, i was setting the LOUD to high, but when powering them off the 75.4 i switched off LOUD and set the gains from the amp which was much better.

P.S Someone do correct if I am wrong.

Rohit do get a good set of components up front and run them off the amp. Then disconnect the 6*9's and see whether you like fronts+sub combo to your liking. Also get the wiring checked and system tuned by a good installer.
Actually dude, the SLV adjust greatly increases the sound widening in Pio Headsets. The loud too increases the gain output. This stands true with all Pio decks irrespective of an amp/sub/speakers. Infact with a sub and amp, both these features on your HU with considerably increase output quality.

The EQ settings allow the system to to depend on speakers for the clarity and the sub for the bass output. For example. I have Morel Tempo Coax speakers with a crossover and a Powerbass Sub, both hooked up to the 4 channel amp. These settings allow the speakers to stay flat on the bass and depends totally on the sub for any bass. Keeping the Loud on High allows a higher default bass output so you feel the thump and the SLV allows the speakers to provide louder clear music.... perfect combo....

I guess its about using each component of your ICE to its optimum. I push the volume all the way upto 30 at times(which is deafeningly loud) without any tears or distortions....

and you're right about the gains, a lot depends on how you adjust your amp gains. A word of caution though, the gains set to high allow the amp to pickup a lot of interference. Low gains affect output. I set mine to high and adjusted a few settings here and there but theres constant cellphone signal interference. I deal with it tho, just throw the cell into the back seat....

Last edited by Zahir : 4th April 2009 at 18:26.
Old 4th April 2009, 18:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
Actually dude, the SLV adjust greatly increases the sound widening in Pio Headsets. The loud too increases the gain output. This stands true with all Pio decks irrespective of an amp/sub/speakers. Infact with a sub and amp, both these features on your HU with considerably increase output quality.

But as PER my personal experience tuning from the amp gave me better results. Setting gain from the amp and using LOUD can and I repeat can lead to distortion.

The EQ settings allow the system to to depend on speakers for the clarity and the sub for the bass output. For example. I have Morel Tempo Coax speakers with a crossover and a Powerbass Sub, both hooked up to the 4 channel amp. These settings allow the speakers to stay flat on the bass and depends totally on the sub for any bass. Keeping the Loud on High allows a higher default bass output so you feel the thump and the SLV allows the speakers to provide louder clear music.... perfect combo....

Again as per my experience with LOUD on high my gz mk12 gives a more boomy sound but not tight bass. But from what I get using your equaliser setting will give more bass than more of a combined sound.

I guess its about using each component of your ICE to its optimum. I push the volume all the way upto 30 at times(which is deafeningly loud) without any tears or distortions....

My 5050 has max volume till 62 and I go till 40 when distortion kicks in. My illusions also make the doors jar at the volume cause of zero damping.
My reply in bold.

Arrey sirjee, sound i like on man's honey to the other's poison. We both enjoy music but our choices of listening differ which account for different equaliser settings.

But still I feel setting the gain from the amp has given me better results than the headunit.
anshu_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2009, 18:37   #15
BHPian

True, I guess it depends on what kind of output rohits looking for...