Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 3rd January 2010, 01:58   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
reverse the wires on any one speaker (the speaker has 2 wires coming to it - reverse the connection).

a basic 4 ch amp will cost you 6-8K (kenwood, JBL, pioneer, blaupunkt etc.. all make such an amp). the easiest place to stick the amp is on the back of the rear seat. bass tubes are boomy a sealed box sub offers tighter abss. no you cannot run your subwoofer with the OE HU. You wont damage to sub or anything like that but you wont get much output.

I suggest you visit a few installers and talk to them about damping etc...
Thanks navin, will try to reverse the connections and even add a nice 4 channel amplifier.
as far as the damping is concerned i dont think anybodyin my hometown does it .
might as well go to chandigarh for the same.
Any bhpians from chandigarh /mohali/ ludhiana can advise me about damping?
ishlinea7260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 10:50   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Thanks navin, will try to reverse the connections and even add a nice 4 channel amplifier.
as far as the damping is concerned i dont think anybodyin my hometown does it .
might as well go to chandigarh for the same.
Any bhpians from chandigarh /mohali/ ludhiana can advise me about damping?
Why Chandigarh\Ludhiana
When you have one bhpian in your hometown
Forget damping,no one in Ambala knows as to what ICE is all about.
Let me know if i can be of any help.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 20:38   #213

Default Dash kit for linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_rider View Post
Threw out the Blau HU , stuffed in a Kenwood X993.
Hello there,
I had just booked the dynamic pack due to ABS and EBD. Incidentally I am getting stuck with the OE head unit which I want to be removed. I want to put in a better head unit without spoiling the original look of the console. Is it possible? Is dash kit helpful in this kind of situation?
Ghost rider, can you please post some pics of your installation.
KARMAniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 21:22   #214
BHPian

Have you booked Dynamic pack for 2010 make?
My dealer is saying that Dynamic pack will not be available for 2010 make, as its production is being halted due to less sale.
brar.arsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 13:43   #215

Nope, mine is of 2009. Actually booked it thinking I will be saved from the price hike. another reason being its ABS.
KARMAniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 10:56   #216
BHPian

Default Upgrading only the speaker

All ICE experts..

Have a simple problem to solve. I want to upgrade only the speakers on my Linea E Pack. I do not want a amp or a subwofer or any other jazzy stuff. Not interested in high bass or high volumes.

The stock speakers distort at even volume level 8 which is very low level. I believe this can be solved by better speakers.

Please provide your feedback. Thanks.
Ferrari1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 22:03   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari1976 View Post
All ICE experts..

Have a simple problem to solve. I want to upgrade only the speakers on my Linea E Pack. I do not want a amp or a subwofer or any other jazzy stuff. Not interested in high bass or high volumes.

The stock speakers distort at even volume level 8 which is very low level. I believe this can be solved by better speakers.

Please provide your feedback. Thanks.

Shouldn't be a problem. The front and rear can handle 5.25" coaxial/components easily.
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 22:31   #218
BHPian

Thanks Pranava.

Any suggestions on the speakers? What make? What model?

Is the HU good enough to handle the speakers?
Ferrari1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 20:13   #219
BHPian

Well there are quite a few options available from coaxials to components. It depends on your budget. Remember the stock linea speakers come with a mid range and tweeter, so you could even go in for components in the stock locations (pics on this thread's earlier pages). However I am not sure if they can be adequately powered without an amp.

Popular brands include JBL, Hertz, Polk, etc. Do visit some of the more popular retailers and try and audition them.

Last edited by pranava999 : 15th April 2010 at 20:17.
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 07:35   #220
BANNED

Default What speakers for Fiat Punto and Linea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
I would have preferred the stock locations and would not want to tamper with cutting the parcel tray and tarnishing the OE look and feel. Am not really sure if there will be any metal cutting invoved, but be prepared for a few rattles especially from he rear sunscreen blind if the speakers are not installed well.However, if you are looking for better bass response the 6X9s should fare better than round co-axials.

Your HU has a continuous power output of 18W RMS which would starve your components, and limit them from peak performance .Why bother spending the extra few grands, if you are not going to push them towards peak performance by under powering? Its the crossovers that require the additional power to split the frequencies and feed the mids and highs and enable superior performance. (gurus, correct me if I am wrong). Most prefer running components for the front and coaxials for the rear.

Amongst infinity and polk, my personal choice would be infinity. However, you should audition your favourite tracks on both at higher volumes, and go with what your ears prefer.

Cheers..do keep us posted on your preferences and install.
Hi pranana- You have mentioned that the Blau HU from Fiat has just 18W RMS amp. I have little knowledge when it comes to ICE. My pioneer has 50 x 4W so that means it has output of 200W RMS, is it?
And 18W RMS is too low i guess. This leaves us with negligible options.
This means we can't even fit it with something like GT5-S396 co-axials(70W RMS) or the round GT5-S265(45W RMS) which can fit in the doors.

So, if a Punto/Linea owner wants to retain the stock HU, what option is he left with?

- Can front speakers alone be changed with GT5-S265 at least or can you please list some speakers that can replace front speakers while keeping the rear speakers untouched considering the ability of the stock HU to run them?

P.S.- It's not the engine that is underpowered.
Someday, hope see a new Punto similar to the 90bhp MJD lauched recently, that has a "500W RMS" badge at the back.
PaddleShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 16:58   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
... 18W RMS amp. ... My pioneer has 50 x 4W so that means it has output of 200W RMS, is it?
And 18W RMS is too low i guess. ...
- Can front speakers alone be changed with GT5-S265 at least or can you please list some speakers that can replace front speakers while keeping the rear speakers untouched ...
Wrong. The Pio also has 17 or 18W RMS per channel, and no, components run just fine off them. And, unless you want to calculate how much your car is being heated up, please don't multiply per channel power by 4 - it does not covey anything.

There are plenty of components to choose from, apart from JBL. Infinity, Blaupunkt, Hertz, Polk, Morel etc.

An external amplifier does help - more power on tap, much better dynamic range, better bass reproduction. HU amp can drive the components quite loud, but beyond a point it will distort. That is where an external amp has a big advantage - it can go louder without distorting.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 20:22   #222
BANNED

Default Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot.
I am so confused between i20 and Grande Punto 1.4E+.
The main two concerns are Fiat A. S. S. and ICE.
i20 has no problem with A. S. S. or ICE(front comps are quite decent & upgrade is not mandatory).
Kindly forgive my ICE ignorance and solve this one mystery I'm left with.
I don't want to do too much wiring(may be later), and to be on a safer side, I won't even add comps as I won't be able to make full use of them. Now, do you know if Punto has comps in the front by default?
I mean if I change all the four speakers in the doors with co-axials, will the tweeters near the door handle still work?

My plan is to go for the following combination:
Rear doors: JBL GT5-S265 co-axials
Front doors: JBL GTO638 co-axials or JBL GT5-S265 co-axials.

Now, which of these are better? I believe GTO638 are better than GT5-S265 but may exert load at higher volumes(I've never turned the volume of my Pioneer >20).
PaddleShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 13:27   #223
Senior - BHPian

I can't solve your i20 v/s Grande Punto dilemma, other than to say that since the Fiat GP is serviced by Tatas, it will be good. Go with your heart!

I have heard the components in i20, and was not impressed by it (very insipid). I am not sure if GP has components, because even GP sounded unimpressive. Even JBL GT5 components are far better.

There is nothing called "making full use of components" as long as you are enjoying the music. Components, even when driven from HU, are a LOT better than coaxials in front. Audition components, and you will know the difference. The wiring is rather simple.

Yes, the JBL GTO are better than the GT5. Saying "may exert load at higher volumes" is incorrect - they exert the same load.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 12:18   #224
BHPian

Default ICE upgrage on My Linea TJet + - Suggestions Please

Dear Gurus,

I would be getting my new Linea T jet sometime next week. I want to replace the stock ICE of the car which was simply abysmal. Can you please suggest some setups?

Budget - 15-20k
Music preference - Quite universal. classic rock, gazals, old hindi songs etc.
Sound Preference - I prefer a balanced sound rather than bassy or bright. listening fatigue sets in quite quickly for me so sound quality is important (unfortunately so is the budget). I have a wharfedale 9.1, wharfedale SW150 and Cambridge Audio 540R set up at home. I like it quite a lot.

however i am not sure if a laid back sound will be good in a car as there are so many other noises.

I have not auditioned many brands but the stuff that most dealers show off tend to be very loud and overly bassy.

I havent really auditioned the audio systems in a lot of cars but the one in a skoda laura sounds quite good to me.

Other requirements - i like the stock look of the car so would like to retain the HU and use the speaker enclosures in the car. I would also like to have a subwoofer (not necessarily a powerful one). I would also like to dampen the doors, mainly to reduce the outside noises (particularly tire and wind noise)

request you to kindly give me some suggestions (equipment & installers). I will be getting some suggestions from tata motors today which i will update on this thread.
Locomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 13:48   #225
BHPian

Default Re: ICE upgrage on My Linea TJet + - Suggestions Please

Hi

Waiting for your update. I have a pretty good system at home too and think that the onboard sound system in the Linea is really bad.

My feedback is that the speakers get a bit shouty after a certain volume level, though I normally never reach that volume level anyway. At low levels it seems to be acceptable. The system is tuned for voice rather than music (B&M) and I obtained a major improvement by just turning the rear speakers off.

The problem as I see it is the big set of holes in the frequency response caused at the driving position by the close proximity of all speakers to the driver's seat. This requires correction no matter what you finally choose - the fader control must be used to obtain correct upper-midrange clarity.

Obviously this is still not enough and a speaker upgrade is the first thing that is probably needed. It may be possible to use a subwoofer if you have one that takes a high level input. I'm not particularly familiar with car electronics just yet, but most subs for home use ship with at least one pair of high level (what is referred to as "plug and play") inputs.

A good coax speaker should be able to deliver far better clarity than the current setup. I am not a fan of ear-level tweeters as they cause a major dissonance in frequency response due to the large physical distance, the sound from the tweeter tends to reach your ears first. It's an unreasonable compromise given the physical layout of a car cabin.

[warning: jargon ahead]For a crossover frequency of 2KHz the distance between the drivers should be no more than an inch or two. This distance becomes smaller with increasing frequency, and given that most car tweeters cross over much higher the foot or so between the drivers will cause major trouble in the upper midrange and treble ranges.[/warning]

In a nutshell, I would use a good ($$$) coax and dump the plan for components, unless you can mount the tweeter close enough to have some coherence.

Then there is the amplifier which is built into the HU. I'm not sure if a line-level adapter for Blaupunkt will work as the HU may or may not have the needed receptacles in the back of the unit. So a Line converter may be the only solution. However the speaker output of any amplifier will have much more distortion than a line level output (which is not cancelled by any converter), so essentially the distortion of the amplifier within the head unit will be added to that of the add-on amplifier.

In sum, I would think hard about whether an amplifier is to be added at all. This is a decision I will take at a later date.

Some of this post was made up as I went along. Feel free to comment. And if any member has ideas about a good guy to go to in Delhi or Gurgaon, would be great to know too. Sorry for tailgating your thread.
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote