Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 21st June 2009, 13:32   #121
BHPian

I did not get a manual for my Linea. All I got was a small warranty card and a little note that too in Italian. I will definitely bug the Tata guy for atleast a peek into the manual, if they posses one, at the time of the first service.

You are right about the Interface cables, as they seem to be made for OE In all probability it should be possible. Otherwise how will Bluedot make some money if it can't sell its interfaces, harnesses, etc , etc to people like us who want some decent ICE in the car ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@prnvaa, if you are sure that it is a Blau OE HU, you need to access 2 things:
1. The HU User Manual that came with the car when you bought it. If you didn't get one (I'll be surprised if you didn't) pester the Tata guys to give you one
2. Search for the installation instructions on the Blau site (PDF files) against the model no. (would be on a sticker on the HU top side)

All Blau HUs without front USB have a provision for adding one IF the HU manual states that the HU supports direct iPod or USB playback via the "Command and Control Interface" (one needs the directory scan and item selection user interface in the HU for that). The link given by @pranava999 shows the external CCI-based units & cables to interface to iPod and USB drives.

You can contact the Bosch local office in Delhi (it is on Panchkuian Road, I think) to find out the best agency to contact for the add-ons. They are usually much more helpful than the ignorant distributor guys.

Last edited by pranava999 : 21st June 2009 at 13:33.
pranava999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2009, 23:34   #122
BHPian

Default Amplifiers shortlisted

Back with an update. After a lot of surfing the world wide web, bugging the hell out of some of our resident gurus/aficionados (thanks a lot for your patience, time,knowledge and willingness to share) and a willing friend from the states, I have shortlisted 3 amps. They are multichannel amps and I prefer it that way as my budget is a constraint and can't stretch it no more, and it gives me the most for the buck. I'm not looking for ICE that will wake up the neighborhood,just something that stirs my soul in the confines of my car, relative to my budget. Ladies and gentlemen, it 'ultimately' boils down to these 3:
  1. JL Audio 6600 (75w rms X 6) JL Audio G Series G6600 6-channel car amplifier — 75 watts RMS x 6 at Crutchfield.com
  2. Alpine PDX-5 ( 75 w rms X4 +1X 300w) Alpine PDX-5 5-channel car amplifier 75 watts RMS x 4 + 300 watts RMS x 1 at Crutchfield.com
  3. Infinity Kappa Five (50 w rms x 4+ 1) Infinity Kappa Five 5-channel amplifier — 50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms + 300 watts x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com
And I'm still a little confused and I think it's best to bring in a few more cooks or heads (whichever way you want to look at it)..... However the list is in my order of preference and would seriously welcome and appreciate all your inputs and help me decide.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by pranava999 : 21st June 2009 at 23:38.
Old 21st June 2009, 23:48   #123
Senior - BHPian

Here's what I found after a bit of search - Blaupunkt accessories for almost all Fiat models including Linea. Still does not give a clue which HU is in the Linea (could one of you please check under the lid?), but at least says Bluetooth, iPod control and USB drive i/f is available.

Another search showed up available downloads for firmware update for iPod and USB directory handling. So that proves - if we get all the pieces together - we should be able to get the iPod & USB interface going for the Indian Linea's HU!!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Accessories_Fiat_GB.pdf (2.14 MB, 3133 views)
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 00:13   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Here's what I found after a bit of search - Blaupunkt accessories for almost all Fiat models including Linea. Still does not give a clue which HU is in the Linea (could one of you please check under the lid?),

DA here goes this is what I have Fiat D323 CD - MP3. Hope this helps

Last edited by pranava999 : 22nd June 2009 at 00:15.
Old 22nd June 2009, 11:00   #125
Senior - BHPian

No, search yielded nothing. Do you see a part no. (13 digit, all numeric) starting with 7 anywhere?
Old 22nd June 2009, 11:34   #126

Hi DerAlte - Thanks for all the help so far.

I actually managed to get hold of the one page audio system guide for punto (which similar to the linea is completely in italian or turkish or some east euro language). There are 5 part nos written on it (maybe for the different parts used such as remote, blue n me, HU, etc.) here goes:
7 646 373 31x
7 646 375 31x
7 646 337 31x
7 646 348 31x
7 646 354 31x

Also, from what i've read so far (Blau site) - Blau doesn't support much after market stuff for OEM systems. I guess that would be done so that Fiat (or other manufacturers) can fleece the customers as per their wishes rather than creating another line of revenue for Mr. Blau.

Btw is it possible to remove the OEM system from one Linea & fit it in another? Not sure but I think I read somewhere that these might be 'locked' to the specific car on which they are originally fitted.

~Pranav
prnvaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 13:09   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnvaa View Post
... There are 5 part nos written on it (maybe for the different parts used such as remote, blue n me, HU, etc.) here goes:
... 7 646 348 31x ...
The Blaupunkt part no. for the Linea HU is "7 646 348 316". Fiat's internal model number for Linea (the car) is D323 (D310 is Grande Punto, I think, and Palio D188). All the other strings are HUs for other Fiats like 500, Panda, Multipla etc.

Quote:
... Also, from what i've read so far (Blau site) - Blau doesn't support much after market stuff for OEM systems. I guess that would be done so that Fiat (or other manufacturers) can fleece the customers ...
Not so. Add-ons and accessories are separately listed, as they can be used *both* with OE as well a after-market ICE. The tricky part is putting 2 and 2 together to find out what goes with which!

Quote:
... Btw is it possible to remove the OEM system from one Linea & fit it in another? ...
Should be, since the HU never gets to know the Engine and Chassis numbers!

Last edited by DerAlte : 22nd June 2009 at 13:10.
Old 22nd June 2009, 13:38   #128

Hey DerAlte,

Hope you are right about the OEM accessory thingy, but just FYI:
Blaupunkt India page lists the same bluetooth/usb accessory & clearly mentions its only for aftermarket systems not for OEMs. They've even answered a FAQ about OEM installs (saying that 'the bluetooth interface is only intended for aftermarket radios')
Blaupunkt - Accessories - Interfaces - Bluetooth/USB-Interface

Oh and by the way, I checked with this dealer Radio Shoppe in Delhi and he seemed little more helpful than the Lajpat Ngr guy. According to him the Linea Emotion audio unit does not have a usb input in the back, so you cant connect a usb interface to it. But it does have aux input. So maybe I could plug in stuff through that.

~Pranav
prnvaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:07   #129
Senior - BHPian

I found a PDF file on the net (darn, I deleted the pdf file by someone who must be working for Fiat; the doc property gave a name that threw up an entry in LinkedIn of a person in Turin) containing Blau part no.s of OE HUs going into different Fiat models, including Alfa Romeo and all. The entry for Palio (D200), new 500 (D313, Cinquecento) etc. mentioned compatibility with the iPod and BT/USB cables. By simple extension of logic, newer OE units, like the "7 646 348 316" for D323 Linea, would also have the C&C interface through which these cables work.

Since the rest of the world does not know about this, and to reduce nuisance headaches for itself, Blau India would have taken the easy route of avoiding any discussion. Aux-in all Blau HU's have anyhow, and Blau India gives a cable (costs 500) for interfacing PMPs via EP socket.

The Radio Shoppe guy is right in a way - the HU does not have USB by itself. Just that he has not explored further. End of the day, it all depends on how much they apply themselves for the customer's benefit.
Old 28th June 2009, 14:30   #130
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have been following this thread closely as I would be in the same predicament pretty soon.

Yesterday I was in a friends Honda Accord and I quite liked his Audio Setup.

AMP: Harmon Kardon 4 Ch
Rear Stage: Kicker Components
Front Stage: JBL Coaxials

I was just wondering why none of the experts here seem to recommend a Harmon Kardon Amp or a Kicker speakers. Is there any reason for this?
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2009, 18:09   #131
Senior - BHPian

There are no recommendations or condemnations here. The only recommendation that is made here is one should first listen to the specific product they want to buy to decide whether they like the sound or not. Also, it makes more sense to select a brand that is supported well locally - won't do you good if you cannot even get a replacement if something fails.

HK amps are higher end products - not many set their budgets to that level.
Old 28th June 2009, 18:38   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
Hi Guys,

I have been following this thread closely as I would be in the same predicament pretty soon.

AMP: Harmon Kardon 4 Ch
Rear Stage: Kicker Components
Front Stage: JBL Coaxials

I was just wondering why none of the experts here seem to recommend a Harmon Kardon Amp or a Kicker speakers. Is there any reason for this?
Hi Crimson!

Guess you have got your front and rear stage mixed up..guess you meant the Kicker components for the front and JBls for the rear...

So are you planning on doing up the audio on a Linea or some other car? Have you shortlisted the various options?

Guess recommendations here are made keeping in mind one's budget and needs. I did consider the Hk 470 but it seemed out of my range and I also wanted to power all four channels and a sub.

the HK 470 comes across as a really good amp, but I feel it deserves a better HU, than my stock.

There are quite a few good speaker brand s out there and I guess, it ultimately boils downs to one's taste,exposure, needs and budget.

If you do go in for a similar setup as your friend's, please do put up a thread and I would love to read your review.

Last edited by pranava999 : 28th June 2009 at 18:45.
Old 29th June 2009, 07:34   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
So are you planning on doing up the audio on a Linea or some other car?
Hi pranava999,

This is going to be done to a Punto. In all probability it has the same HU as a Linea. Thats why I posted here.
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 09:03   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
I did not get a manual for my Linea. All I got was a small warranty card and a little note that too in Italian. I will definitely bug the Tata guy for atleast a peek into the manual, if they posses one, at the time of the first service.

The manual for the Blaupunkt HU is in the owner's handbook. Its the last section in the book. Surprised no one saw it. Don't blame FIAT ; just read the book. . Maybe u'll also see how to customise the built in 7 band EQ.

cheers
ghost_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 10:56   #135
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_rider View Post
The manual for the Blaupunkt HU is in the owner's handbook. Its the last section in the book. Surprised no one saw it. Don't blame FIAT ; just read the book. . Maybe u'll also see how to customise the built in 7 band EQ.

cheers
Its a manual for operating procedures & does not contain anything on specification I guess though am not sure
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote