Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2009, 09:57   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 634 Times
Default Rainbow Comps..which one to Buy? IDV3 12"..how much power?

Hi everyone,

i am planing to get this Amp from UK and need to know if its worth it. The specs are :
  • 55W RMS x 4 + 225W RMS Channels at 4 Ohms
  • 75W RMS x 4 + 360W RMS Channels at 2 Ohms
  • Signal-to-Noise (dBA) - 104dBA
  • Frequency Response - 10Hz - 100kHz and 20Hz - 250Hz (-3dB)
Now the reason i am considering this amp is the simple reason that its a 5 chl amp that can play all the four speakers plus the Sub.

I was wondring one thing, is it posiable to run my front comps with the 2 chls and the rest bridged to run the SUB??? if so, then what RMS will i get out of it for running the SUB. The reason for this question is that i am in a serious mood to get my ICE upgraded cause it has been an year now since i last did anything with it and you know according to BHPians, its high time now
Would really like to have advice on this upgrade from the fellow BHPians...
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 19:04   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
simply_sunny001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London & Rohtak
Posts: 1,339
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

how much is it costing u and whats the place you buying from ?
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2009, 20:19   #3
BHPian
 
DjNik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 340
Thanked: Once
Default

AFAIK it a pretty decent amp for the price.
as for your other query i dont think it is possible to bridge the sub channel and the speaker channels but you can always bridge one pair of the speaker terminals for extra power...

Last edited by DjNik : 13th April 2009 at 20:22.
DjNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 01:02   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 634 Times
Default

i am getting it for 160 pounds which i think is pretty decent as compered to buying a 4chl amp like 1004 qhich cost arond 10K..dont u think so???
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 01:06   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 634 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjNik View Post
AFAIK it a pretty decent amp for the price.
as for your other query i dont think it is possible to bridge the sub channel and the speaker channels but you can always bridge one pair of the speaker terminals for extra power...
Sorry Bro bit i didnt get it... cant i use 2 chl for front comps and the rest to the Sub maeking the sub more usefull....i am planing to buy IDV3 12 and was thinking that i could get arong 300+ plus to the Sub...isnt that posiable with this amp?? I want to have around 100 RMS going to front comps and atleast 300Plus to the sub...do u think that's posible with this amp??
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 01:37   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,314
Thanked: 431 Times
Default

55W RMS x 4 + 225W RMS Channels at 4 Ohms;
75W RMS x 4 + 360W RMS Channels at 2 Ohms;
140W RMS x 2 + 225W RMS Channels at 4 Ohms;

these are the specifics of the amp.

if you want more than 100w going to compos, you can have only 225 w for the sub
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 03:08   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 634 Times
Default

OK so my question is..is it worth buying this amp or should i buy 1004 instead to power front comps and Sub?? Please advice as i need to dicide whether i should bring this amp or buy 1004 from india. These 2 amps are the only choice i have. I am planing to run front comps which might be Rainbow SLX and SUB would be IDV3.

Also can anyone tell me what is the OHM ratio of Rainbow SLX...i mean are they 2 ohm or 4ohm?
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 08:49   #8
BHPian
 
superbhikari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Muzaffarnagar
Posts: 411
Thanked: 143 Times
Default

Rainbow SLX are 4 ohm. It's always better to have a mono amp for the sub and since you are keen on ID sub, you might feel the need of mono in the future.

1) If you are too keen on amplifying the rear speakers, than go for this 5 ch.

2) If you can leave the rear speakers off the HU, then -

a) Get the JBL 1004, power up the components & sub from it.
or b) Better buy a good 2 channel Amp + Mono or 2 X 2channel Amp from UK, although it may
shoot your budget up. (Genesis Profile 2 channel Amp in UK will cost you 11k)

3) Audition Rainbow Hammer Sub at the Gyro. If you like it, you may get it from UK for 10k.

Last edited by superbhikari : 18th April 2009 at 08:54.
superbhikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 15:25   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 634 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
Rainbow SLX are 4 ohm. It's always better to have a mono amp for the sub and since you are keen on ID sub, you might feel the need of mono in the future.

1) If you are too keen on amplifying the rear speakers, than go for this 5 ch.

2) If you can leave the rear speakers off the HU, then -

a) Get the JBL 1004, power up the components & sub from it.
or b) Better buy a good 2 channel Amp + Mono or 2 X 2channel Amp from UK, although it may
shoot your budget up. (Genesis Profile 2 channel Amp in UK will cost you 11k)

3) Audition Rainbow Hammer Sub at the Gyro. If you like it, you may get it from UK for 10k.
Ok so if i leave the rear speakers and buy the 1004 and run the fronts and sub with it, then i will get around 320 RMS to the sub. Now what will be the point if i buy a mono which would again would be gving me the same RMS (around 300) when i can get that from one 1004? I mean i would have to spend extra for mono and even then i am not getting more power to SUB.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 02:25   #10
BHPian
 
superbhikari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Muzaffarnagar
Posts: 411
Thanked: 143 Times
Default

Yes, you are correct to an extent. JBL 1004 may satisfy you decently. Point with JBL 1004 is that it is bit high oriented (i.e. their signature sound). Some say it is bit harsh amp to their taste. My experience with Rainbow SLX with Blaupunkt Velocity & Rainbow Ipaul amp (notorious setup) is - They are more natural & open sounding, great clarity, good depth with good midbass.
Adding JBL to Rainbow SLX may make it a bit bright. Adding a good sub to JBL 1004 will be no problem IMO.

Secondly, there are Mono amp available with higher rating too such as 500/700/1000/1500 RMS and so on. It depends on which mono you choose considering your budget & music taste. Since a Mono Amp is a Class D Amp compared to 2/4 ch Amps which are class A/B amp, they are specifically meant for the subs which in turn gives better quality, deep bass and overall finesse to your setup.
The difference may/may not be too huge or worthy between a setup with JBL 1004 and Mono for you. The best is you audition some mid-end to high-end setups which may widen your experience that how much each equipment of a system may effect your setup and then decide for the right equipment to add to your setup factoring in your requirement/taste and budget.

This is what i have learnt from my limited experience with some of the auditions anf experience of the fellow forum members & gurus.
superbhikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 14:34   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 634 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
Yes, you are correct to an extent. JBL 1004 may satisfy you decently. Point with JBL 1004 is that it is bit high oriented (i.e. their signature sound). Some say it is bit harsh amp to their taste. My experience with Rainbow SLX with Blaupunkt Velocity & Rainbow Ipaul amp (notorious setup) is - They are more natural & open sounding, great clarity, good depth with good midbass.
Adding JBL to Rainbow SLX may make it a bit bright. Adding a good sub to JBL 1004 will be no problem IMO.

Secondly, there are Mono amp available with higher rating too such as 500/700/1000/1500 RMS and so on. It depends on which mono you choose considering your budget & music taste. Since a Mono Amp is a Class D Amp compared to 2/4 ch Amps which are class A/B amp, they are specifically meant for the subs which in turn gives better quality, deep bass and overall finesse to your setup.
The difference may/may not be too huge or worthy between a setup with JBL 1004 and Mono for you. The best is you audition some mid-end to high-end setups which may widen your experience that how much each equipment of a system may effect your setup and then decide for the right equipment to add to your setup factoring in your requirement/taste and budget.

This is what i have learnt from my limited experience with some of the auditions anf experience of the fellow forum members & gurus.
Thanks Bro...one more thing..do you know which mono should i buy from india which is around 10-12K and should be atleast 400plus RMS
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 14:42   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 634 Times
Default

one more thing..i found this mono, let me know if this is a good mono to run IDV3 sub and also can i run this amp on 2 ohm to get max out of it for my ID?
Infinity REF1600A 600w Monoblock Subwoofer Amplifier
  • Power Output - 400 watts RMS x 1 channel at 4 ohms
  • Signal-to-Noise Ratio - 85dBA (reference 1 watt into 4 ohms)
  • Dynamic Power - 600 watts at 2 ohms
  • Effective Damping Factor - 6.3 at 4 ohms
  • Frequency Response (-3dB) - 11Hz to 330Hz (-3dB)
  • Maximum Input Signal - 6V
  • Maximum Sensitivity - 100mV
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 16:08   #13
BHPian
 
superbhikari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Muzaffarnagar
Posts: 411
Thanked: 143 Times
Default

I don't have any idea of the ongoing prices & latest models of the Mono here in India right now. Out of touch ! I heard from anish9000 he is selling his Genesis Profile Sub Amp, details - Genesis profile sub or P1
1 x 350 watt @ 4 ohms
1 x 550 watt @ 2 ohms

price 18000/-

PM him and try to bargain, if you are interested in used products.

The Infinity sub seems to be good. You can run the IDv3 D4 sub at 2ohms for sure with this amp.
superbhikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 17:45   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 634 Times
Default

Thanks..hey i just saw that even u are looking to get some stuff from UK same case like me. Let me know what all you are getting by updating your own thread please.. i am also looking at getting the comps from UK cause i see the Rainbow SLX it way cheaper in UK than in india so now plan to get it from there only..
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2009, 18:44   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 634 Times
Default Genesis or Harmon Kardon??

Alright things are changing now with my requirements. Now i would need to decide between these 2 amps. Here they are:
Genesis Profile 2
or
Harmon Kardon CA280

Now the question is which one. Genesis output is low (75RMS) compared to Harmon(110 RMS). I need this amp to run Rainbow SLX delux, hence i am little inclined towards Harmon as it more powerfull.
Please advcie.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
JBL 608GTi or ID CTX65CS or Rainbow CSX 265 DREAM or Rainbow SLC 265 KICK panky12345 In-Car Entertainment 52 12th November 2011 01:32
Which Comps and HU to buy. nitinralli In-Car Entertainment 23 14th May 2010 19:48
DIY : Swift + Electra comps + Electra sub + havells power wire jithudigitised In-Car Entertainment 17 26th October 2009 16:38
comps or coax and which ones? makanaka In-Car Entertainment 11 4th January 2009 12:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks