Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old 16th April 2009, 03:37   #16
BHPian

Very interesting setup indeed. Specially with the nVidia 7600 GT DDR3!!! This could be like the gaming machine away from home and on the road. Why not add a GPS unit too?? This would help you with navigation too and also for fun. I'm looking forward for the proceedings too. I'll be building up one of these very soon for myself. And not too keen to have the VIA CPU running on it either. Was looking towards something more powerful.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 16th April 2009, 15:01   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Specially with the nVidia 7600 GT DDR3!!!
This is my third graphics card. Already tried a HD 2600 PRO and a 4350. But 7600 is a stable card and its fullscreen overlay is better than any ATI card or Nvidia 8/9 series cards.

Quote:
This could be like the gaming machine away from home and on the road.
Its there to play HD Movies in the car.

Quote:
Why not add a GPS unit too??
GPS: QSTARZ MTK2 Keychain Bluetooth Nano GPS
Why this: Thin, 66 channels, 5 Hz, A-GPS, USB+Bluetooth, better than SiRF III

Quote:
This would help you with navigation too and also for fun.
Navigation: Destinator 8 with Satguide One India Map
Why this: This satguide people are stupid enough to let me download their files free from their server.
Old 16th April 2009, 19:16   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
This is my third graphics card. Already tried a HD 2600 PRO and a 4350. But 7600 is a stable card and its fullscreen overlay is better than any ATI card or Nvidia 8/9 series cards.
Well nVidia rocks any given day. They are way better and much better priced compared to the similar ATI card hands down. I'm currently running a pair of 9800 GTX 1GB DDR3 in SLI setup and man you should see the frame rates fly. Anyway yes for HD movies the card is great. But, I guess the display unit also needs to be HD compatible. The samsung unit which you are using is it compatible? I'm not a Samsung person so got no idea about their product lineup in the 10 inch section.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 16th April 2009, 21:25   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I guess the display unit also needs to be HD compatible.
You are perfectly correct. But the Samsung unit cant go beyond 1024*768. But this card will help to downscale 1280 pixals into 1024 for 720p movies. Even this card handles 1080p movies at 60 fps.

I can say one thing, any video song at this monitor will look fantastic if its encoded in HD format than SD format. its nothing to do with HD - Downscale has superior quality than any better upscale technology.
Old 17th April 2009, 10:33   #20
BHPian

gps model no. pls ?

congrats and waiting for pics !!
Old 17th April 2009, 13:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOiLA View Post
gps model no. pls ?
This is the GPS receiver I had mentioned before Garmin GPS 10 - Bluetooth Garmin GPS 10 - Bluetooth GPS, GPS 10 WITH BLUETOOTH TECHNOLOG Detail Page. It's wireless bluetooth enabled. So, no cables at all . For $104.99 it's a steal as you'll not need any more devices for the display etc etc etc.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 17th April 2009, 13:47   #22
BHPian

Quote:
gps model no. pls ?
Its Qstarz BTQ-890. Works perfectly with Destinator 6/7/8, Gmaps, MGMaps and GPS Gate. USB + Bluetooth mode.

Qstarz BT-Q890, BT-Q1300 Bluetooth GPS Receivers World’s Smallest? | GPS Obsessed

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 17th April 2009 at 14:07.
Old 17th April 2009, 16:42   #23
BHPian

It would be more tempting if you post Pics of Your PC in the Car, Shown how it works and where's all the stuff located and how it looks.
Old 17th April 2009, 19:13   #24
BHPian

Update:

Just assembled the cables only. Here are the power cables:

My 00 car PC in TATA SAFARI-power.jpg

Data cables:

My 00 car PC in TATA SAFARI-data.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality pictures.
Old 17th April 2009, 19:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

IBM_J, Do post the pictures as you progress. Would give a n00bie like me a good reference point when you talk about the setup!
Old 17th April 2009, 20:20   #26
BHPian

But I didnt start the setup as my car is still in workshop for a performance mod.

And here is the story till now:

My 00 car PC in TATA SAFARI-powernumbered.jpg

1. This is a ring terminal at the end of the Fibreglass wire. it will connect to the battery. We have soldered this instead of crimping. The other end will go to 2 thru a 150amp ANL Fuse box.

2. This is the 6 meter Uninyvin fibreglass cable which goes to the distribution box.

3. This set has 3 wires with Female quick connectors attached in one end. One wire connects the +!2v out from the PSu to the TFT Monitor and Rear monitors. (Regulated +12v). The other 2 female connectors are to connect the remote Amp turn on. The connectors are there so that the PC can be removed from the car at any time.

4. This is also a fibreglass cable to connect the PC to the distribution block. I bought it because its better than finolex.

5. This is an SPDT switch used to power the monitor. The monitor will be powered from the PSU, if the PC is ON. If the PC is off, I can still use the monitor for reverse camera using this switch.

6. This is again a 6 Gauge fibreglass cable to power 75.4 amp

7. Thease are all the male connectors for Remote turn on and +!2V out.

8. For rear monitors positive and ground.

9. This is an inline fused cable for Video booster
Old 17th April 2009, 20:35   #27
BHPian

And the story continues:

My 00 car PC in TATA SAFARI-datanumbered.jpg

1. This is an Active USB 5 Meter cable. I bought active because passive cant go beyond 5 meters. The other end connects to a Powered USB Hub.

2. This setup has the SPST Power On, Reset SW, HDD and Power LEDs. I replaced the momentary switch of the Power button to SPST ON/OFF. One end of the SPST connects(the yellow wire) to Acc. on of Ignition and the other end connects goes to PSU thru CAT5 Cable. All the wires are soldered to a 5 meter Cat 5e+ cable.

3. This is the other end of 2 which has a CAT5 Female cable. Th eother end connects to the motherboards's RESET, Power LED and HDD LED. The SPST end goes to the PSU Power On. (Because the mother board Power switch connected to PSU). So even if I start the car - the computer will not turn on automatically if the SPST is OFF.

4. This is a 5 meter 2 RCA - 2 RCA cable to conenct the output from CD/FM player to computer Line In.

5. This cable connects the Line out of the 4 Channel amp to the Line In of the Mono Amp.

6. This cable connects the TV Out of the graphics card to the video booster.

7. This cables connect the output of the Video booster to the rear monitors.

8. VGA Extension cable

9. Connects the Audio out (Front & Rear) of the sound card to the 4 channel Amp.
Old 19th April 2009, 08:18   #28
BHPian

that's really a nice one few things are tempting to me like that button of yours for switch off/on

if my eyes are right then i am seeing 3.5mm to RCA connectors at the end of RCA cables. is these are normal purchased ones or any branded ?

RCA cables of which brand?
rca to 3.5mm ?
where you going to put up your amps and the cabinet ? OOpps sorry forgot you bought that cabinet so it must be at the rear .
Old 19th April 2009, 15:22   #29
BHPian

Quote:
if my eyes are right then i am seeing 3.5mm to RCA connectors at the end of RCA cables. is these are normal purchased ones or any branded ?
These are from MX. But I don't recommend this Stereo to RCA Female adapter unless you have a Xonar DX. There is a MX Stereo to RCA Female 2 meter cable which will fit the motherboard soundcard(but not Xonar?). Its gold plated, shielded and dont cost you a bomp like belkin.
Old 19th April 2009, 21:09   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
These are from MX. But I don't recommend this Stereo to RCA Female adapter unless you have a Xonar DX. There is a MX Stereo to RCA Female 2 meter cable which will fit the motherboard soundcard(but not Xonar?). Its gold plated, shielded and dont cost you a bomp like belkin.

how much you got it for?
as you have written this is not good unless you have a xonar sound card ,right?

so can we have the total of
xonar sound card
mx rca to 3.5mm jack cable and
rca cables you using?

i think these will cost BOMB rather than the belkins

just give us the break up so we can have the idea how much the difference is?
Closed Thread