Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 23rd April 2009, 23:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
There is difference in quaity with a Monobloc.

I was skeptical to invest more money on a monobloc instead of bridging two channels of my 4 channel or using a seperate 2 channel amp. I am using a Class D Monobloc and it takes id sub to perfection.
I am happy to see my friends change their opinion after listening to my setup. Initially when they hear the cost, they say I am crazy.
I agree that a monobloc makes a difference but I find a ab class to be more musical than a class-d. Try it and you would feel the difference.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 23:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I agree that a monobloc makes a difference but I find a ab class to be more musical than a class-d. Try it and you would feel the difference.

and thats what i want. i guess a mono is not required right now, and rightly so. not just this post, but i have been thinking. why spend so much money on an amp when the class ab RF is doing such a wonderful job? im happy, and my sub is definitely happy. the sub is so musical that its easy for people to say there's nothing in the boot. yet the lower frequencies are bolstered really well, and music sounds the way its supposed to. nothing overpowers the other component. the harmony is going to be even better when the luccents sing through the DLS and the eclipse 7200MKII makes sure the source is clean.
mind you, guys, clean, unaltered and unadulterated music is my prime requirement. and the illusion speakers, with the respective amplifiers are doing a great job. my notions about the mono are right. i am not going to invest in a mono until i find that 2nd 'Illusive' Luccent Sub that I am looking for!
cheers and thanks for the help guys.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2009, 23:53   #18
BHPian

this is exactly the same question that was running in my mind a few days back. i have a jbl cs 1205 sub and a jbl gt5 a402 2 channel amp. although i don't have an amp to drive the speakers. the (jbl 608c)front and the (polk db 690)rear are taken by the pioneer HU. will it make a difference if i change the amp to a monoblock? also is it possible for me to change the 2 channel amp to drive the speakers? and if i did so will it make a difference for the sound quality?
Cyberpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 00:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

I guess it should make a difference if you power it with a mono block according to the rating of the sub.

Also you can power the fronts from the 2 channel amp and let the rears be driven of the HU.
The front sound quality will increase to a highly noticable extent.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 00:48   #20
BHPian

@ abhinav thanks. can you suggest a good mono block for my setup?
Cyberpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 01:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Frank you have raised the question that came in my mind almost 10 years back when I was looking for an amp to power my sub. In those days I was looking an amp for an Alpine sub. I too had this question which came in my head, whether powering it with 2 channel class AB amp is better or the single channel Class D mono amp. After doing research in those days I came to the conclusion that Class D amp do give better powerful Bass at the same wattage as the Class AB amp. However Class D amps do carry some noise factor compared to the Class AB due to its circuitry. That is one reason why in those days and even today not many makers would bring the class D amp to power the comps and Class AB was the preferred choice. Where it delivers much more cleaner and musical bass/sound compared to the Class D. It also depends on whether one wanna have much more heavy bass or have a SQ sub and wanna listen to the bass that gelled with the Comps.
Anyways, in the end I asked myself what I wanted back than. And the answer was I definitely wanted it to sound cleaner and musical. The conclusion was I tried both the Mono Class D amp and 2 channel class AB amp under bridge mode to the same sub for a period of a week or so. Class D deffinately with the same amount of wattage gave more powerful bass made the SUB pound but when I switched to the class AB which was the basic Alpine Amp. Over period of listening to the same track again and again I found that the Class AB sounded more cleaner and low end response was better and at high volume it delivered slightly more cleaner bass. In the end, ended up with the Class AB 2 channel amp. Since than I prefer powering the sub with Class AB.
But, Incase one is looking for louder more powerful bass Class D is the way to go provided the sub too is for SQL or SPL. If it's just a SQ sub than Class AB amp would do a better job.

If I were you I would stick the 2 channel AB amp than the mono given the fact that you have a luccent Sub.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 01:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Well worded. Brilliant! Lovely answer! Bravo! Cheers!
Old 24th April 2009, 02:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Well worded. Brilliant! Lovely answer! Bravo! Cheers!
Also, in 2001 or 2002 I suppose I went for this event organised by the Blaupunkt more like a SQ and SPL competition. And to my surprise i was ranked as 3rd in SQ setup out of the 45 cars which were there and stood 2nd overall in SPL with 114 DB compared to a Merc which was at 118 DB with 3 subs and 5 amps running active. All i did this was with 2 comps in front, coax at rear, a sub, 4 channel and 2 channel amp. That's it with 180 RMS powering the SUB. So I wouldn't say it's just about the Amp or Sub we use to get the best sound or SPL, but the damping played a lot more important factor in achieving what I did back than. Damping well we all know by now how important it is but those days there weren't any Damping kit available. All I made use was rubber type based foam used by carpenters in Sofa's known as dunlop or so, that's right it was the most cheapest and more effective way of getting the result out of Damping, and it worked.

Cheers!
Old 24th April 2009, 02:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

quite a feat. im impressed! waiting to meet you on sunday now!
Old 24th April 2009, 02:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

thanks lbm. now this brings in a really lot of confusion. Class D is made to power the sub, but the class AB does a better job at it ??
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 03:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
thanks lbm. now this brings in a really lot of confusion. Class D is made to power the sub, but the class AB does a better job at it ??
Have A read at this may be this should Help.

Electronic amplifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sound advice for Class D amplifiers - 4/28/2005 - EDN

Last edited by Invinsible : 24th April 2009 at 03:04.
Old 24th April 2009, 11:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
These are the basic pricnepleas of a amp...nice read..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post

But again I would say it all depends on the model and application...

Like in frank case he will be running the amp at 4 ohms which will be good...and the amp will be able to control the sub. Had been 2 ohms then it would have been other story.

If we compare a bad mono with a good 2-channel it will loose. But a good mono with a bad 2-channel, mono will win. It all depends in which amp you are choosing...Like Navin Ji mentioned in few post before.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 11:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Also, in 2001 or 2002 I suppose I went for this event organised by the Blaupunkt more like a SQ and SPL competition. And to my surprise i was ranked as 3rd in SQ setup out of the 45 cars which were there
You competed in the amateur group or professional?
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2009, 11:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

one OT question in my OWN thread? How does one measure SQ? and how does the scoring for the SQ go? i know dB readings are like the score for SPL competitions. How does it go for SQ?
Old 24th April 2009, 11:47   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Gods of all things Cold

Is there such a thing as a 3 channel amp? I was suggested one of these things for a simple setup in the Defender. I've personally never heard of such a thing, but hey I never knew of Monoblocks before they started making ICE here.
Steer, normally most of the 4 channels have an option to work with in 4 channel mode or 3 channel mode i.e. front two channels for speakers & bridging rear two channels into 1 channel to power a Sub woofer.

I am not sure if such a thing is available but a 3 channel amp could probably be doing the same i.e. 2 channels for speakers & 1 channel for Boofer
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote