Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 28th April 2009, 11:59   #1
BHPian

Default Decent ICE suggestions for Baleno.

I have recently bought a pre owned 2007 Baleno. It has Kenwood stock HU and not sure of the speakers and set. I am planning to put a decent ICE in it and willing to spend around 30k (it would be better if I can get it for lesser).

I have researched a lot and found some informative stuff. I am planning to get it from bangalore (so please advice stuff available in bangalore)

I have decided to change the HU, front speakers to components and also rear speakers. Not sure if amp but have also kept that in mind.

My requirements from HU are that it should play from USB and Ipod (ipod is more important as I have loaded all the albums in my ipod).

I give preference to clarity rather than being loud. So thought of getting Illusion electra compos and JBL for rear. And JBL 1004 amp (am ok with a cheaper amp too if it doesnt change the sound too much).

I listen to mostly desi stuff and sometimes to linkin park, metallica and pink floyd, deep purple.

My choices for HU -
Kenwood 6539
Pioneer 6050UB
Alpine 9886
Pioneer DEH-P7950UB

Not sure of other items (but gave my preferences above).

Please indicate a good set up (not necessarily the ones I mentioned) and also approx prices.
cherishk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 12:22   #2
BHPian

What your thinking is completely correct.
Go for components and a 4 channel amp, then see how much money is left, if you have about 10k then go for a good HU with 3 pre-outs.
You can power the 4 speakers with the amp for now, if you think this is enough keep it, if you want more then later on you can get a sub, and then use 2 channels bridged of you 4 channel amp to power it and the other 2 channels to power your front components.
If you still feel you want more then you can get a mono-block amp for the sub and use the 4 channel amp for the 4 speakers.
Dont live in banglore so cant say price or places, but this is my advice.

Waise i am still using co-axials and with a 30k budget you can get a sub and mono and HU, keeping the stock speakers and no amp for that, but this setup would give you a loud but not clear sounding system, which is not your choice.
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 12:38   #3
BHPian

I thought 30k is good amount for what I want

My research suggested the following prices

HU - 10k
Components - illusion electra - 7k
Rear coaxials - JBL - 4k (I can go away with this and put the money on wiring and damping)
AMP - 10k (can this be reduced to get a decent one at lesser cost something VFM)

So was confident of getting good setup for 30k. Let me know the choices for my preferences and chances I can extent the budget is also there. I am not sure of spending again (as I dont like the music to be loud) and I presume sub and mono amp are meant for that? Am I correct?
Old 28th April 2009, 12:46   #4
BHPian

Yes they help in being loud but there are many subs made for quality sound.
If you do want real clear sound go for the components and a new HU and a 4 channel amp, components are best heard with a amp.
Old 28th April 2009, 13:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

cherish. you are thinking in the right direction. the JBL GTO1004 is the finest amp you can get below 10k. and you mustn't skimp on this part of the install, since the amp will be quite integral in helping you utilize the maximum potential of your equipment.
Kenwood 6539 is a better option than even the 9886, since its user interface is simpler to understand, and kenwoods are known to have the best USB support. iPod control is also decent in the Kenwood.
As far as the components in front are concerned, the choice is perfect. I have used this set with the aforementioned amp (75.4, very similar to the 1004), and they both sound very good in tandem.
The rears are one thing I have stopped advising people to go for, when they buy a new system upfront. The rear soundstage doesn't matter much if the system is tuned well, and the front soundstage makes all the difference.
Yes, you can get those co-axials at a later stage, but as of now, since we speak of a fixed budget, I'd recommend using that money on damping of the front doors and good wiring (read: GOOD wiring). You can always use the STOCK oem speakers in the Baleno rear parcel shelf(appaling, but will do the job for now)
In fact, the next step up should be a subwoofer, which I feel is quite integral in a setup. EVEN if you dont like loud bass, or dont want to shake up things.
A sub will complete the soundstage and provide the lower frequencies that cannot be delivered by the components.
Here's the cost breakup:

Amp: around 8.5-10.5k(grey/bill and warranty)
Head Unit: around 6.5-9k (" ")
Components in front doors: Rs. 7k
Installation, damping, wiring: Rs. 4k

if you go by the lower extremes of the prices i have mentioned (which are quite realistic) then we have a total of about 27k. Now, this leaves about 3k. My suggestion is, either look in the classifieds for a used subwoofer, or go for the JBL GT5-s12, which is a competent sub. Add about 3.5k for the sub and box and you are good to go!

frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 13:26   #6
BHPian

+1 you can definatly go for these, or why cant he just use some used stuff, there are many here in the classifieds.
Old 28th April 2009, 13:34   #7
BHPian

With the suggestion i got this is how I am tilted.

Amp - JBL GTO1004 - 10k
HU - Kenwood 6539 - 9k
Front Components - Illusion Electra - 7k
Wiring and damping - 4k (since you said good wiring, is there any brand I should be opting for this budget?)

I am not sure of the sub and rear coaxials i.e. where to invest?

One more question for bangalore people. I am inclined to do this at autofusion, koramangala. Will they exchange my existing HU and speaker set? If so how much can I expect? Expect a +/- 5k in case it requires.

In case I get 3-4k also so have more money to be spent. So give suggestions accordingly.

Last edited by cherishk : 28th April 2009 at 13:43.
Old 28th April 2009, 13:46   #8
BHPian

Also keep you rear speakers and power them also by the amp.
I have heard good things about monster cable, also about finolex?
Old 28th April 2009, 14:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

I'm using finolex.. (excellent VFM product) for power and ground cables.. and monster XLNPRO for RCAs! (expensive but do the job neatly)!
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 14:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

I don't think the 1004 is available @10k with bill and warranty.
It would most probably be a grey market one being palmed off as a B&W item.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 14:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

the official mrp for 1004 is 14999/= you can get this with b&w for 12.5k
karankapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 14:21   #12
BHPian

How much difference in quality does Grey market stuff and bill and warranty stuff have? If the warranty comes for say 6-1yr, i will skip as in most cases problems start creeping up after 3-4 yrs? Am I correct?

If there is difference in quality then I will stick to B&W ones. I read in this forum that the price ranges from 9-11k (not sure how accurate this info is). Can somebody shed light on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
I'm using finolex.. (excellent VFM product) for power and ground cables.. and monster XLNPRO for RCAs! (expensive but do the job neatly)!
How much does each of these cost?

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th April 2009 at 18:08. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 28th April 2009, 14:23   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherishk View Post
I have recently bought a pre owned 2007 Baleno. It has Kenwood stock HU and not sure of the speakers and set. I am planning to put a decent ICE in it and willing to spend around 30k (it would be better if I can get it for lesser).

I have researched a lot and found some informative stuff. I am planning to get it from bangalore (so please advice stuff available in bangalore)

I have decided to change the HU, front speakers to components and also rear speakers. Not sure if amp but have also kept that in mind.

My requirements from HU are that it should play from USB and Ipod (ipod is more important as I have loaded all the albums in my ipod).

I give preference to clarity rather than being loud. So thought of getting Illusion electra compos and JBL for rear. And JBL 1004 amp (am ok with a cheaper amp too if it doesnt change the sound too much).

I listen to mostly desi stuff and sometimes to linkin park, metallica and pink floyd, deep purple.

My choices for HU -
Kenwood 6539
Pioneer 6050UB
Alpine 9886
Pioneer DEH-P7950UB

Not sure of other items (but gave my preferences above).

Please indicate a good set up (not necessarily the ones I mentioned) and also approx prices.
For the same price, you can go for the Clarion DXZ 785 USB. Does whatever you need+a little more. And you will pay around 10k (depending on the source from where you get it from). At that price, getting a 24 bit DAC and Time Alignment is a steal, IMHO.

Check this thread from more details
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...z-785-usb.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...z785usb-6.html
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 14:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

there is no difference between the grey market and official product apart from this grey market products are smuggled and official comes by the proper channel all duty/tax paid.
karankapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2009, 14:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
For the same price, you can go for the Clarion DXZ 785 USB. Does whatever you need+a little more. And you will pay around 10k (depending on the source from where you get it from). At that price, getting a 24 bit DAC and Time Alignment is a steal, IMHO.
I think the clariod 785 USB should be ordered from US? If it is not, then probably I can look into it?

@karan, thanks for the info. So if the quality is same, going for grey market stuff may make sense na? luck factor may play its role in this case.