Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 4th May 2009, 18:36   #1
BHPian

Question How can USB support be added to a Kenwood CD player?

I've got a Kenwood CD player in 1 of my older cars. This system is almost 3 years old, but it still works and sounds great.

In the other cars--usually tend to use only the iPod or the USB drive to play music tracks. However, can't do that with this car and need to use a CD to get the music playing.

Is there any accessory available that can be installed onto the Kenwood CD player, which would let it play files from a USB drive?

Thanks.
InternetUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 21:30   #2
BHPian

there is some kind of Mp3 player which can be connected at the cigarette lighter, which transmit music . this can be tuned with tuner in the CD player.
have seen them in car accessories shops costing around rs 600.
vinodv001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 00:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

what is the model no of the kenwood head unit?
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 01:16   #4
BHPian

You can connect your ipod to a small transmitter and tune your fm radio to receive it. I have seen many people do this.
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 01:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

There is a small cigrette lighter pod available(will post the pic by tomorrow) you can use USB(support upto 16GB) as well as MMC card to play music it comes with display screen and has its volume control to boost up the AUX level,sound quality is amazing,comes with a remote,now the best part easy to install

Last edited by ramie2400 : 5th May 2009 at 01:23.
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 03:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
There is a small cigrette lighter pod available(will post the pic by tomorrow) you can use USB(support upto 16GB) as well as MMC card to play music it comes with display screen and has its volume control to boost up the AUX level,sound quality is amazing,comes with a remote,now the best part easy to install

hey ramie

are you serious about this.im really interested.where can i get it.how does it connect to you head unit ?
revtech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 07:19   #7
BHPian

its available on ebay costs rs 295/- below is linky
i am using one in my vista its pretty good

eBay India: MP3 Car FM Modulator & Transmitter with Remote Control (item 320366966737 end time 05-May-2009 16:36:05 IST)
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 07:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

interesting.i read that it uses FM. hows the clarity ? can it be connected using a cable to aux of the headunit
revtech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 14:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Clarity is just slightly better than FM radio stations playing through the HU, but that is not the end of the story. The real problems are:
* Most of these units need volume control to be set much higher than for normal FM radio
* Common playback control facilities like search, skip, directory navigation etc. are extremely limited by the number of buttons available
* Remote usually has a different interface than the main unit, and some functions are available only through the remote
* Playback of signal from a PMP connected to the input jack is terrible - worse than playing MP3 files directly from the memory
* They are not very (mechanically) stable when inserted into the lighter socket - too many interruptions at the slightest jarring of the unit. And then most of the times they reset back to the first song, not the last playing song!

And no, they don't have a direct output which can be connected to the HU Aux-in.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 14:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

in all, its a bad proposition if you are looking for good quality. i honestly feel its very convenient, but a good quality fm transmitter will make a difference.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 14:16   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Clarity is just slightly better than FM radio stations playing through the HU, but that is not the end of the story.
My feedback inline.

Quote:
The real problems are:
* Most of these units need volume control to be set much higher than for normal FM radio
Not an issue, so long as you intend to listen to just this, and dont think of switching FM channels in between, during which you'd have to be prepared.

Quote:
* Common playback control facilities like search, skip, directory navigation etc. are extremely limited by the number of buttons available
I am not sure if they supprt reading across folders. Will have to try that out. At the moment, i think they only read songs in a sequence from the input.

Quote:
* Remote usually has a different interface than the main unit, and some functions are available only through the remote
Can be an issue to those who rely more on the primary remote. Since i dont use the remote at all, i think i can live with using the remote of the transmitter itself. Its really small and lightweight as well.

Quote:
* Playback of signal from a PMP connected to the input jack is terrible - worse than playing MP3 files directly from the memory
No idea.

Quote:
* They are not very (mechanically) stable when inserted into the lighter socket - too many interruptions at the slightest jarring of the unit. And then most of the times they reset back to the first song, not the last playing song!
The one i use resets to the beginning of the last playing song, even when you switch off and switch on the car.

Additionally, the FM transmitter device i use can also sync with my mobile via Bluetooth enabling me to receive calls. Good for me, since i dont have a handsfree otherwise. Cost me Rs.1600/- off ebay including delivery.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 17:24   #12
BHPian

I haven't come across this FM transmitter device before. However, the quality of the sound output is unlikely to be the same; the sound quality is important.

Since this CD player can play MP3 files from a CD anyway--isn't there any means to add an additional input (from the USB drive with the MP3 files) wires to the player? It does seem theoretically possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The one i use resets to the beginning of the last playing song, even when you switch off and switch on the car.

Additionally, the FM transmitter device i use can also sync with my mobile via Bluetooth enabling me to receive calls. Good for me, since i dont have a handsfree otherwise. Cost me Rs.1600/- off ebay including delivery.
This sounds good--what's the eBay product name or the seller name for this device?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
what is the model no of the kenwood head unit?
The model number is -- Kenwood KDC-MP4029
Old 7th May 2009, 17:25   #13
BHPian

Lightbulb

Update!

The company itself provides an interface adapter to connect the iPod with the older CD players.

Kenwood Corporation | iPod Interface Adapter Compatibility List by Model

I now need to wait a few days for the dealer to source the adapter.

Thanks everyone.