Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 31st May 2005, 01:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Question Please Advise on this Car Audio Setup

Hi ppl. I've been tagging with team-bhp for quite a while but this is my first post, really.. I'm planning to buy a car in June and I've zeroed down to this audio setup. Those who really know car audio stuff, please advise if there are better alternatives within or close to the same price band..

Head Unit: Alpine CDA 9831

Front Doors: 6" round 3 way speakers: JBL GTO 6363

Passenger Doors: Kaladex Tweeters 150w - JBL GTO 16Te 5.25" Compoenent Set 165W JBL GTO 506Ce 6.5" Componenet Set 210W JBL GTO 606Ce

Oval Speakers [boot]: JBL GTO 936e 6x9" Oval 3 way 300W

Btw, i'm from chennai and i've decided to go in for a VXi version of Swift with the Alloys available on ZXi. When i talked with the JBL distributor for Chennai, he told me that i wouldn't really need a sub and an amp for the moment as the ovals are quite capable themselves, and this setup is already proving costly..

Well. I hope this should be a good setup as i don't intend to change it later. Also, are Boston Acoustics speakers better than JBL? please lemme know. I'd be adding the IPOD Interface Adapter soon [Model: KCA-420i] as i sense it to use an mini iPOD with 6gb space, than install an Alpine 6cd mp3 changer for around 17+k. Whatsay??

I thank in advance the good souls who'd be able to gimme good suggestions or advice.

Thanks and happy revving all

p.s: For those who'd want to know how much this setup is going to set me back by, its in the range of 33k and 35k...
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2005, 01:55   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to TeamBHP!

I'm not an audio expert but, i don't think coaxial speakers are a good choice as door speakers. component speakers are recommended. Use components on the doors and ovals in the rear.

IMO you fit components in the front door, mount the tweeters in the front, not too far from the door speaker, put 6x9 at the rear tray and install a bass tube with an inbuilt amp in the boot.

Let's wait for the real audio experts to answer your Q.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2005, 10:30   #3
Team-BHP Support

i am confused? you want 3 pairs of speakers? front doors, rear doors and rear deck?

this is what i would do.

Get an good HU. the Alpine 9831 is good but also consider the 9830 and 9833. See if you want to pay for the 1 feature difference beteween the 9831 and the 9830 (one feature less) and 9833 (two features more).

Get good component speakers for the front: Alpine, JBL and Blaupunkt offer good VFM.

Get a nice 4 channel amp: Sony makes a cheap one for 5K if you can spend more look at Alpine or Blaupunkt. I have not tried JBL extensively to comment on them.

Get good simple 2 way (max 3 way) coax speakers for the rear these can go either in the rear deck or rear doors. If you budget permits consider components esp if you are hoping to install speakers in the rear door.

Get an Active Sub or 2. If you can afford the space a Bass tube will give you an amp, sub and box. However if your trunk has to do double duty a pair of 8" subs in an 3/4" MDF rear deck can work too. These MDF decks are available off the shelf so dont worry about that.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2005, 14:02   #4
BHPian

Well, first of all ask yourself what do you want out of your car stereo? Good vocals or strong highs or loud bass! What I like, you might not....everyone is different. Notwithstanding here's my 2 paise's worth!

First of all why do you want six speakers in your car?? I have just 2 8" 3 way speakers on the front doors of my Palio and I am happy with it. I think 4 speakers are more than sufficient.

Get yourself 6 1/2" components in the front and 6 x 9 in the rear shelf. The front speakers are more important so spend more money on them. For the rear even co-axials will do. If with this set up you are able to save some money, get yourself a decent 4 channel amp (even 30 watts rms x 4 will make a difference) for around 6000/7000 for the 4 speakers. Trust me a good amp makes a lot of difference to the sound. You will have much cleaner sound in your car.

Your choice of head unit seems fine. Speakers I think Boston Acoustics have an edge over the JBL's.

Welcome to the world of Car audio!!
5u3zEr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2005, 14:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
I'd be adding the IPOD Interface Adapter soon [Model: KCA-420i] as i sense it to use an mini iPOD with 6gb space, than install an Alpine 6cd mp3 changer for around 17+k. Whatsay??
This seems to be a good idea, ipod is better than a 6cd changer anyway. You can also have a personal mp3 player also.
Quote:
When i talked with the JBL distributor for Chennai, he told me that i wouldn't really need a sub and an amp for the moment as the ovals are quite capable themselves, and this setup is already proving costly..
Consider putting a bass tube in the boot, the bass will improve much.

BTW, how much is the head unit costing?
dmitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2005, 18:46   #6
Team-BHP Support

BTW why worry about a mp3 changer or ipod. first get th basics right. I am told that a 4GB Ipod shuffle is expected soon.
Old 31st May 2005, 20:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all those who took time to post your suggestions. I'm glad there are so many of you to help choose the right setup, & i'm only motivated to clear all my doubts regarding the setup of a perfect sound machine for my car. And please, pardon my knowledge on car audio. Its absolutely Zilch!!!

From what most of you have quoted, it seems like i should't go for a paid of speakers for the passenger doors. I just thought i could fit 'em up too as Swift has provisioned all doors to be fitted with a speaker. So i guess i'd leave those alone. Right?

Front door speaker: I was considering a JBL GTO 636e 6" round 3 way speakers. Are this type of speakers called coaxial or what? Or what wud be better? There also is a set of seperate tweeter, crossfader [or whatever ] and a 210W component set 6.5" speaker, i guess. What should i go in for the front doors???

i was in the belief that an amp was only for the sub-woofer. is an amp really required for the speakers? Does it take the sound to a totally different level with an amp? I wud love to fit an amp if its going to make the sound more pleasurable, and please suggest which one would suit an Alpine HU and JBl speakers..

I'm going to fit the JBL GTO 936e OVAL 6x9" 3 way speakers on the parcel shelf. So thats for the rear/boot.

What else could i go for to make the sound the best. I listen to a varied genre of music [rap, hip-hop, rock, pop, classic, and a whole lot] so please suggest accordingly. I dont want music to be jarring, but it should be clear, deep and awesome...

Dmitri, the Alpine 9831 is going to cost me 22k. i would negotiate the price only at the point of purchase. Squeeze more for the buck

Also, please feel free to suggest a setup, similar to what i've done or something totally different. I just want the sound to be of class, and i'm sure to trust you audio enthusiasts out there. Please remember, the car i'd be going for is a Swift. Tanx again.

Cheers,
Ajay Karthick
Old 1st June 2005, 10:18   #8
Team-BHP Support

well i have not seen the inside of a swift yet but going by what you have said....

HU: 9830, 9831 or 9833: remember all 3 use the same basic mechanisim. Get the 9830 is your budget does not permit the 9831. get the 9833 if you can afford that. so it all depends on your budget. lets assume you got a 9830 for say 19-20K.

Front speakers: Get 6" 2 way components. I assume the swift has locations for the midbass and tweeter. This should run you about 7K. Blaupukt is cheaper than Alpine. I prefered the Alpine in my car. Listen to both as well as JBL, Polk and Boston then decide.

Rear Speakers: Get some cheap coax that you can afford to upgrade later. dont spend more than 1K. You could avoid these altogether. Better to have 2 good speakers than 4 ordinary ones.

Rear Sub: Either 2 active bass tubes or 2 8" Free Air subs on a MDF parcel deck and amp. This should run you about 8-9K.

20K+7K+1K+8-9K = 35-36K. Budget over!

Now you have a basic of a system you can upgrade.

1st upgrade: 4 channel amp. The cheapest the is Sony 504 for about 5K the next step is the GTA 450 (Blaupunkt).

2nd upgrade: Nicer rear speakers. 4-5K.

3rd upgrade: Alpine Ipod controller, DVD changer and screens.

What I normally do is after I have decided on the components I negotiate a free install and better wires (both RCA and speaker wires) and in my wife's car a free MDF board.
Old 2nd June 2005, 00:38   #9
BHPian

hey people if any of ull did notice the rear parcel shelf in the swift is a meer 5-6 inchies so i think getting the 6x9 is going to be a problem in itself forget abt 8" woofers i noticed this and immediately asked the sales executive wether ill be able to mount 6x9 ovals on the parcel shelf and he said it may be difficult cause as per his knowledge its only 5" wide.
libre sito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2005, 22:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hey ppl.. I guess i've pretty much decided on the speakers and HU. But can someone tell me what would be THE BEST Amp and Sub-Woofer i can get under a budget of 15k? [the 15k can be split right down to 50:50 or however, but both the amp and sub should be an awesome buy at that price and an excellent product.

Thanks much ya'll !!
Old 3rd June 2005, 10:31   #11
Team-BHP Support

you can get an active sub for 15K. Blaupunkt and Alpine make them. BTW if the parcel shelf is only 5" wide you wont have space for a shelf mounted sub. you will need a bass tube.
Old 3rd June 2005, 21:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hey navin. Thanks. You seem so well informed about car audio, am sure you have an amazing setup on your car now.. I'm not too sure i understand what an active sub is.. Is it the sub that comes in a box[ported] or the bass tube[cylindrical].

Also, when i checked with several car audio selling shops in chennai, only one guy suggested i go for Kenwood woofers. Do you think it wud be good and suit an alpine HU and JBL spkrs? a few friends recommended JBL woofer to go with its speakers, what are your thoughts on them.??

Sorry for bothering you, but thank you so much for da help! Peace
Old 4th June 2005, 10:41   #13
Team-BHP Support

active subs are those that come with an amplifier as well. they can be tubes of boxes.

I would rate JBL over Kenwood.
Old 4th June 2005, 21:50   #14
BHPian

Ajay, you can also buy yourself a pioneer 12" woofer, the model number of which ends with the letter "C" (I think its TSW 303C) which means it has to be boxed, either sealed or ported. You can buy a 304 pioneer amp (30 x 4 rms) for around 7k in burma bazaar and the sub for around 3k. The box may cost around 1k...SO thats a total of 11k.

Ask your installer to bridge 2 channels of the amp and run the sub of it and the remaining two channels ask him to parallel connect the 4 speakers.

Since the rear shelf is only 5" wide you cannot mount it on your shelf and use a free air sub which are available plenty. JBL could be better but I dont know if you can fit it in your budget.

A kenwood sub would also do the job for you. And remember to use a ported box which has a vent on the top of the box.

Hope you understand.
5u3zEr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2005, 10:19   #15
Team-BHP Support

k ajay. Lets rephrase that. I USED to have a good setup. Then I got married and had kids and my stereo had to take a back seat (pun intended) to the kids stuff. A bike takes up a lot of room even in an RS.

My RS has a 9833, Alpine amps, Alpine components (front and rear pod) and 2 small bass tubes. In my wife's Sail has a 9830, Balupunkt amps, Vifa components frot and rear, and 6 modified 6" Vifa subs on a modified rear deck.

In the old days my contessa had a TL sub using 3 10" sub (home made). There was NO trunk save enough space for an igloo (for beer and soda). The amps were home made too with a 1F stiffening cap. The front and rear were Polk 3 way components but I had modified their XOs (basically upgraded or bypossed the caps). I had a dual battery isolator and an upgraded 70A alternator to feed 2 batteries. The HU was a Alpine 7385 (it had no power amp and had Dolby C). The Alpine's azimuth was hand calibrated to my Denon DRM30HX tape decks (there were 2). The CD player was a modified Sony CD walkman mounted on home made shock absorbing "table". This was the late 80s and car CD players skipped a lot. See you got me started....now before the moderators rap my wrists I'd better go.

Last edited by navin : 6th June 2005 at 10:23.