Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 5th May 2009, 18:59   #1
BHPian

Unhappy Strange experience with my sub

Im running a GZ 12 MK2 off the bridged channels of my Kenwood 8401. The gains are set somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4. EQ set to flat, no bass boost and sub level set to +3 to +5 depending on the type of music. LPF is 80Hz at the HU.

Today i was testing the box for a leak by playing a 15 Hz test tone and i noticed a burning wood kind of smell (the kind you get while drilling thru wood when it gets very hot). So i stopped playing and it disappeared but It came back even at low volumes. And, when i opened the box to check, i saw some smoke escaping .

Why should this happen ?

Last edited by adityamunshi : 5th May 2009 at 19:01.
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 19:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

The very same thing happened to me. i was playing a bass track for a while that too not to insane volumes. the GZ mk2 sub started fuming out. i immediately called ajay(B&T) and told him that my bass is burning and causing trouble. he said that the coil might have become hot and the gum over it is smelling. it was a dirty burning smell.
since then i dont hear to those tracks at all . now the question here is is this normal behavior of all the subs? and what effect does it have over the subwoofers life? this thing had happened with me in the very first month of buying the sub.

i think experts can comment here.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 20:52   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
Today i was testing the box for a leak by playing a 15 Hz test tone and i noticed a burning wood kind of smell
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
The very same thing happened to me. i was playing a bass track for a while that too not to insane volumes. the GZ mk2 sub started fuming out.
the glue used to glue the voice coil to the former is similar to fevicol in formulation (EVA based). Ethelene Vinyl Acetate is also used in atheletic shoe soles (more expensive shoes use PU).
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 20:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

It is normal if played hard for few minutes the sub will start smelling but this will fade of when the voice coil if fully burn-in.

Even if it persists then the gains of the amp are not set properly and clipped singal is going in the sub which causes the same.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 21:28   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
It is normal if played hard for few minutes the sub will start smelling but this will fade of when the voice coil if fully burn-in.

Even if it persists then the gains of the amp are not set properly and clipped singal is going in the sub which causes the same.
what do you mean by voice coil fully burning in? mainly what was the damaged that has occurred? has the glue weakened?
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 21:48   #6
BHPian

And my sub was bought used so i guess burning in doesn't come into the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
what do you mean by voice coil fully burning in? mainly what was the damaged that has occurred? has the glue weakened?
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 09:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

Aditya and Amit - I have the same model of the sub and powering it off bridged channels of the Blau GT4. However, I have never faced this particular issue that both you guys have mentioned. Gains have been set at 1/2 way mark and I dont prefer any bass boost, either from the amp or from the HU.

I am not too technical in these things, but could it be related to improper wiring/termination?
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 16:05   #8
BHPian

You are over stressing you sub,Plz don't do that! Use any normal track that have low freq and use a talcum powder to check the leak.15hz is way to low.I can't understand the use of 15hz test tone to check the enc leak!
Do check the gains on the amp too!
Gill is offline   Reply With Quote