Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

View Poll Results: Which will offer better SQ ?
High-end Headphone 25 54.35%
High-end Speakers 21 45.65%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th May 2009, 23:05   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Frankly it's a very unfair comparison. Not just from the financial standpoint, but infrastructure wise.

With 'phones you might just need a good amp, sometimes not even that, and the soundstage is excellent... some high end headphones, the sound quality is UNBELIEVABLY good!
I think at least I have my answer. Good pair of cans combined with a good amp give you terrific SQ on a budget. Speakers need too many other variables to be right, and good speakers any day cost a hell of a lot of more money.

But if money and effort and space is not a criterion, speakers are the way to go.
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2009, 00:05   #32
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
I think at least I have my answer. Good pair of cans combined with a good amp give you terrific SQ on a budget...
Not necessarily cans. Trust me you'll be surprised with the SQ of some of the 'bus these days! Shure for example (I rate their products higher than Etymotic, Ultimate ears, V-moda etc)

The SE530s for around USD300-350 produces what I call 'Audio Nirvana' They're right up there with some of the best cans (Upto a level)

My point is today top quality audio has also become portable, and is no longer restricted to giant speakers or big wooden cans with humongous drivers which make on look like a martian...

DocG
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2009, 16:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

Would love if Navin Ji , Sam Bhai and Ajay Bhai share there views in this matter.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2009, 23:36   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not sure if this belongs in the car audio section.

I love a good pair of headphones, I do. I have access to every model from AKG, for obvious reasons. IMO the detail and recording quality of any kind of audio recording can be wonderfully experienced by a fine set of headphones.

If you are talking about detail, then the closest thing to a pair of headphones, is a fine pair of nearfield monitors.

But if you're talking about a listening experience that is both involving and emotional, then nothing is like a set of good speakers.

They are 2 different things, IMO there is no comparison.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 13:50   #35
Senior - BHPian

Sam has summed it up quite nicely. Personally, I never use headphones for listening to music. Except while at a DJ station.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 14:23   #36
BHPian

Hi - I would vote for high end speakers if I had to choose one option.

I own Bose QC2 and have owned the highest end Shure noise isolating headphones in the past as my work involves a lot of travel. While they are great when travelling, I prefer listening to my Denon home theater system (I listen to music in 7-channel stereo mode rather than in 7.1 channel surround mode) at home and to my ICE (all JBL set-up) when in the car.

Listening to headphones over an extended period of time has its own set of hearing related issues (not a doc, but have been so advised).

I have invested in both because that way, I take great SQ with me when I travel.

Cheers,

Sandy
sandy16000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 11:38   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy16000 View Post
... my Denon home theater system (I listen to music in 7-channel stereo mode rather than in 7.1 channel surround mode) ...
Errr... what exactly is "7-channel stereo mode"???
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 14:08   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Errr... what exactly is "7-channel stereo mode"???
Similar to 5-ch stereo mode found in a lot of receivers, I suppose.

In this mode, all speakers play the main channels' program material in stereo, depending on whether they are left or right. Sub plays sub-bass and center I think, does mixed mono (not sure).

I use this often for multi-zone stereo setups without needing to use multiple power amps.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 14:28   #39
BHPian

Spot-on Bass&Trouble, and the center speaker is muted in this mode. This mode provides better depth to vocals (which otherwise seem to come only from the center speaker) and better bass response as well.
Old 12th May 2009, 16:48   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I prefer listening to my Denon home theater system (I listen to music in 7-channel stereo mode rather than in 7.1 channel surround mode) at home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Similar to 5-ch stereo mode found in a lot of receivers, I suppose.
Quote:
Spot-on Bass&Trouble, and the center speaker is muted in this mode. This mode provides better depth to vocals (which otherwise seem to come only from the center speaker) and better bass response as well.
Hey Sandy,

Usually the centre speaker is not muted in 7 or 5 channel stereo, the centre plays a mono L+R in that mode. You can of course choose to mute the centre.

This however would no longer be 7 channel

The .1 of course (as your probably know) stands for the active/powered subwoofer.

There are very few modes of processing that can make a satisfactory 5.1 or 7.1 output out of a stereo music input. I have heard Logic& and PLIIM extensively and honestly, it can get a bit annoying sometimes.

But careful listening of music in 7 channel stereo with music from all around me?? I don't think that is possible and it would be very jarring.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 12:00   #41
BHPian

Hey Sam - You are right, if the center speaker is muted, it no longer remains 7-ch. I am sure though that I have not muted my home theater center speaker, it must have been the factory setting to mute it in 7-ch stereo mode (I am equally sure it is mute in that mode).

You are also right - listening to stereo music in 5.1 or 7.1 is outright irritating. I do not find 7 ch stereo jarring though. The way speakers are positioned in my room, it does not feel like the sound is coming from all directions unless you are sitting very close to a speaker. But I will do some careful listening over the weekend and compare 2-ch stereo mode vs 7-ch stereo mode to figure out which one is more pleasing to me. Will get back with my personal experience.

Cheers,

Sandy
Old 14th May 2009, 00:56   #42
Senior - BHPian

This is a no contest - Have tried a Senn HD650, Grado RS1, AKG 701 with a good headroom tube head amp and the headphone out of the highly regarded Leben CS600. None of the cans were even remotely close in experience to my current Usher Be-718 bookshelves in resolution, bass impact, soundstaging and overall musical experience.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2009, 18:04   #43
BHPian

Speakers anyday
To start with, even a reasonably good pair of speakers will create a substantially better soundstage
Not to mention that the whole feel of having a headphone/earphone wrapped around your ears is so unnatural that it (IMO) negates any positive experience associated with listening to a good stereo setup
abhi182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 20:39   #44
BHPian

Default Re: High-end head phones VS High-end Speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Guys Guys. I am not asking for the personally preference here. I am asking which will sound better. In which you will able to hear the minute details of the recording. In which you will able to see the sound stage....???

Hope I am able to ask the question in the right way. I am not asking for how you people like I am ask which will give better detail.

Cheers
Hands down a good speaker set as you are free to get multiple speakers, one for each audio range (tweeters, mids, bass etc.). The only benefit of a good headphone is noise cancellation, but if you can afford to go all out on a good speaker set, get a sound proofed room for the home theatre set and that problem is taken care of
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote