Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 10th May 2009, 02:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
by the way, resistance in a cable does not matter much. given the fact that a typical amp input resistance is ~47K , and the difference between a 10 ohm cable and a 1 ohm cable is that one will pass 99.9998% of the signal, and the other , 99.99998%. and what you are losing is just .0001% gain, which is nothing, and certainly will not be audible. What one should test in a cable is the capacitance and inductance of the coil, and how good it shields the signal.
thank you for complementing my answer with numbers, greenhorn with the red horns :-)
that was all that was required. cheers.. lol

Last edited by frankmehta : 10th May 2009 at 02:55.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 11:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

if only the gurus chimed in and confirmed/rubbished our doubts :-)
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 01:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
from what I've read, the parts of the speaker suspension are initially a bit stiff, and will need a bit of exercise to get up to scratch

Note that I'm not recommending a 1 year burning in period for the headphones. Was just saying they sound identical after a year. I think a few hours of continuous usage should be enough.

I think this applies to all dynamic speakers, so it doesnt make a difference if its the one in an earbud or a loudspeaker.

having said that, the time required is quite low. A lot of audiophile stuff is already broken in before they are sold

by the way, resistance in a cable does not matter much. given the fact that a typical amp input resistance is ~47K , and the difference between a 10 ohm cable and a 1 ohm cable is that one will pass 99.9998% of the signal, and the other , 99.99998%. and what you are losing is just .0001% gain, which is nothing, and certainly will not be audible. What one should test in a cable is the capacitance and inductance of the coil, and how good it shields the signal. However, getting a cable to have values which will not impact the overall sound is not too hard, and except for the very low end versions, a well made cable should sound good enough.

there might be differences with the type of cable ( coax vs twisted vs regular double strand cable)
Please read this about cables - there's a lot to them beyond simple electrical resistance.

http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/articles/spkrcabl.pdf
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 01:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

I know - the resistance alone does not make a difference - that was what I was telling abhibh. Speakers cable can be modelled as a transmission line ( I dont want to get reminded of that horror of horrors called Applied EM theory !) , so the capacitance and inductance should be measured
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 04:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know - the resistance alone does not make a difference - that was what I was telling abhibh. Speakers cable can be modelled as a transmission line ( I dont want to get reminded of that horror of horrors called Applied EM theory !) , so the capacitance and inductance should be measured
Sirji you are right. I was just taking one point at a time when i discussed / shared my views about resistance of a cable.

Cheers!
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 13:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I dont want to get reminded of that horror of horrors called Applied EM theory! ...
Muhahahaha I soooooo want to start on EMT wrt speaker cables ... Peace, I never liked that subject either!
Quote:
... so the capacitance and inductance should be measured
What about ductility, insulation composition, twists per meter, bundles per cable, trace elements, plating, gas or liquid filling, round or hex profile, ...?
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 13:42   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm I somehow dont agree with all the points, I mean they are true but not always; there are known specific conditions where in each of these myths would be true
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote