Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 11th May 2009, 19:38   #1
BHPian

Default JVC AVX-44 Ice'D my Safari VX

Over the past few months, stock Blaupunkt Las vegas head unit in my Safari VX had begun to act up with its volume knob becoming progressively unresponsive. Further, I had never been a fan of Blaupunkt anyways. Don't get me wrong, they sound great and are a great brand, but I always found their styling a bit too bland.

Further motivated by Team-Bhp forum, I finally decided to indulge and boy, I am happy with the decision.

I went for AVX44 headunit from JVC replete with all the bells and whistles one can expect from a car audio. Except, It still doesn't brew Coffee.

Other specifications were:
JBL Bass Tube
JBL Components and wiring
Stock Speakers as supplied by Tata
JVC 2-Ch Amplifier - I was more interested in JBL amp as with my Palio but was swayed over by the shop owner considering the amp is only powering the bass tube.
Dual screen - Blaupunkt stock as provided by Tata

Coming back to the head unit, my first impression was WOW! This was one unit that had every bit of functionality from great looks, funky features, and most importantly, inbuilt Bluetooth and Ipod connectivity.

The El-chameleon feature is very impressive and adds glamour and glitz to already quite beautiful unit. A wave of hand activates the touch screen with neatly aligned functions that may take some time to get used to. I was particulary stuck on the Ipodesque volume control. But, once you get used to the system, It is all a breeze.

The full colour LCD screen was quite impressive though never quite suitable for prolonged viewing. IMO, it is not even meant for prolonged viewing considering that could be quite a safety hazard. Movies played quite well and screen was very crisp. When in FM/USB/CD mode, the screen adequately presents all information. It also shows album art for songs though I would have like them to be slightly bigger considering most of screen space is left unused.

Bluetooth functionality is adequate. I have not yet used it to stream music but receiving calls is quite easy. It also notifies you of any incoming SMS. Making calls is a little tricky but, then again I don't like making calls while driving.

Ipod functionality is a breeze. USB pen drives , on the other hand suffer from long reading times.

All in all, It is a great system and I can summarize the experience as follows:

THE GOOD:
Looks
Plethora of features
El-Chameleon technology
Ipod Support
Sound

THE BAD
Touch screen may need getting used to
Slow reading speeds (it may take 4-5 mins for a 8 GB pen drive)
Re-reads USB/CD after any interruption (like a phone call)
No Display Graphics - like a moving equalizer or a small video.
Album Art too small

VERDICT
A great system with all bells and whistles and some minor glitches that can be solved by a firmware upgrade when it is released.

I was a bit letdown by the quality of install. They left the plies in car unattached and wires were not hidden.They even broke a lock on front side step and lost the nut to car battery. Moreover, he confused the wiring in head unit and connected it to wrong power source causing the system to reset every time I turned off the car.

Also, he attached the amp to the back wall with only two screws causing vibrational noises.

I had to re-do everything myself and can safely say, did a much better job. Anyone from Jaipur, Are there any decent shops for car mods?
Attached Thumbnails
JVC AVX-44 Ice'D my Safari VX-img_0072.jpg  

JVC AVX-44 Ice'D my Safari VX-img_0074.jpg  

JVC AVX-44 Ice'D my Safari VX-img_0076.jpg  

JVC AVX-44 Ice'D my Safari VX-img_0077.jpg  

JVC AVX-44 Ice'D my Safari VX-img_0079.jpg  

JVC AVX-44 Ice'D my Safari VX-img_0080.jpg  

akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 20:29   #2
BHPian

congrats friend. Safari is my personal favourite to ICE. It has loads and loads of space.
shreyasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 21:35   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice HU. Hope I buy it one day.

And nice use of seat belts!
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 11:04   #4
BHPian

Very nice HU with lots of features. Howmuch did it cost ?
chipfoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 11:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

the JVC KDAVX Series is a very nice HU I myself am using the KD AVX33 for the past 1.5 years.

no issues at all till date ... the USB read times on my HU are normal , believe me JVC read USB drives faster than any other brand , i had a song oh boy that took ages to recognizes USBs and DVD contents.

Whats the memory size of the USB that you are using with the HU ?
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 11:46   #6
BHPian

Nice HU there buddy and congrats on the upgrade pal.
Damages to the wallet please
ameenmaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 14:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice looking HU!

The next standard question - care to share the cost?
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 18:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

looks like a case of poor installation, and even more poor advice.
a subwoofer but no amplifier for the components?
the head unit is a looker, but i was never a fan of touchscreens while driving. but this is one feature packed HU for sure! quite a beauty.
the JVC amp should be shifted to the fronts, and you must get either a mono/or another 2 channel (something VFM) and THEN notice the difference.
please dont get discouraged by my post.
just being overtly critical, since i know exactly what kind of installer has done this install (and the wrong advice he has given). the grease monkey has done a shoddy job and broken a few parts in the process.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2009, 11:17   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasma View Post
congrats friend. Safari is my personal favourite to ICE. It has loads and loads of space.
Thanks, mate. Safari is my personal best too and not just for ICE upgrades. I would though point out that HU location is little intrusive with gear shifts while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Nice HU. Hope I buy it one day.

And nice use of seat belts!
It certainly is a nice HU. Our rear middle seat has a fridge installed therefore were left with no other use for the seatbelts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
the JVC KDAVX Series is a very nice HU I myself am using the KD AVX33 for the past 1.5 years.

no issues at all till date ... the USB read times on my HU are normal , believe me JVC read USB drives faster than any other brand , i had a song oh boy that took ages to recognizes USBs and DVD contents.

Whats the memory size of the USB that you are using with the HU ?
That is quite a relief. I am currently using 8GB Sony Pendrive. My problem was also with 4.7GB MP3 DVD that took ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameenmaj View Post
Nice HU there buddy and congrats on the upgrade pal.
Damages to the wallet please
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Nice looking HU!

The next standard question - care to share the cost?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipfoose View Post
Very nice HU with lots of features. Howmuch did it cost ?
Thanks buddy. The damages to wallet are:

JVC AVX44 - Rs. 20,000/- (think it should have been chepaer)
JVC Amp - Rs. 3,500/-
Blaupunkt screens - Stock
Blaupunkt Speakers - Stock
JBL Bass Tube - Transferred from my Palio
JBL Components - Transferred from my Palio
Miscellaneous - 1,800/-

I am looking to recover some of it from sale of:
Blaupunkt Las Vegas DVD HU which was stock install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
looks like a case of poor installation, and even more poor advice.
a subwoofer but no amplifier for the components?
the head unit is a looker, but i was never a fan of touchscreens while driving. but this is one feature packed HU for sure! quite a beauty.
the JVC amp should be shifted to the fronts, and you must get either a mono/or another 2 channel (something VFM) and THEN notice the difference.
please dont get discouraged by my post.
just being overtly critical, since i know exactly what kind of installer has done this install (and the wrong advice he has given). the grease monkey has done a shoddy job and broken a few parts in the process.
I do have a spare Alpine 4 channel Amp. Also, i have not yet connected components to the setup. If you don't mind, could you ellaborate on the correct way of install so that i could personally fix the setup install.

I feel so bad about having been ripped off... well, consider it a learner's step and with all you ppl's help, ensure such mistakes are not repeated.
Old 16th May 2009, 11:30   #10
Team-BHP Support

Akhilesh, that's a nice HU you have there. I have the same HU in my S10 and the SQ is quite nice and it for sure is feature packed. I have used the Bluetooth feature a lot for the phone and it works like a charm.

Some of the points I am not hapy about this HU are:

- Does NOT play the street DVD's or Indian Region DVD's. It plays ONLY the US region DVD's. If someone has found a way to unlock the DVD region thing, then please share the steps/knowhow

- I have NOT been able to find a shortcut button/step to quickly do a folder/song listing from USB. (have to go through the menu -> listing step and it is a pain while driving)

20K is quite a steep price you paid my friend for this but I am sure you would be happy with the HU.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 13:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Slow reading speeds (it may take 4-5 mins for a 8 GB pen drive)
4-5 min is quite high. I have a JVC AVX800 and I'm using a 40 GB HDD connected to USB port. It has around 11 GB songs and it takes just 40 sec to readup. Of course everytime its switched off or car is restarted it reads up again for 40 sec. But I guess 4-5 min is high. I have also tried a 8GB pen drive with 4 GB loaded. That takes around 25 sec.
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 16:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do have a spare Alpine 4 channel Amp. Also, i have not yet connected components to the setup. If you don't mind, could you ellaborate on the correct way of install so that i could personally fix the setup install.

I feel so bad about having been ripped off... well, consider it a learner's step and with all you ppl's help, ensure such mistakes are not repeated.
So long as you learn and don't make the same mistake it is fine.

Since you have a Alpine 4 channel amp which I presume must be at least 50WRMS x 4 channels,you have the following options:

OPTION NO.1

Head Unit RCA Pre-out no.1 to Alpine front channel to front components
Head Unit RCA Pre-out no.2 to Alpine Rear Channel to rear stock speakers
Head Unit RCA Sub-out to JVC 2 channel - bridged output to Sub

OPTION NO.2

Head Unit RCA Pre-out no.1 to Alpine front channel to front components
Head Unit rear output to rear stock speakers
Head Unit RCA Sub-out no.2 to Alpine Rear Channel- bridged output to Sub

In option2 you can say TATA to the JVC 2 channel

Option 1 would work better IMHO
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 11:56   #13
BHPian

Thanks Vigsom,

I think option 1 is more feasible too. Since I joined Team-Bhp, I have taken keen and personal interest in what goes into my car and your advice just make it all the worth.

I will carry out the modification and report soon!
Old 27th May 2009, 11:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was a bit letdown by the quality of install. They left the plies in car unattached and wires were not hidden.They even broke a lock on front side step and lost the nut to car battery. Moreover, he confused the wiring in head unit and connected it to wrong power source causing the system to reset every time I turned off the car.

Also, he attached the amp to the back wall with only two screws causing vibrational noises.

I had to re-do everything myself and can safely say, did a much better job. Anyone from Jaipur, Are there any decent shops for car mods?
Ouch !! that would hurt. Installation is very important. Congrats.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote