Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 14th May 2009, 18:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Can it be because of duplicate JBL components or very bad installation?

Recently one of my friend got JBL speakers installed in his car. He has heard my system and he wanted something of similar quality. So he discussed with one of the installer near his place(although I've suggested him to go to Satya but for him IndiraNagar is bit far so he decided to stick to a nearby place and which he is kind of repenting now.
He also have gone for very similar setup as mine(GTO 608c, GT5-S644 amplifier, Kenwood 6539 HU and JBL CS series Sub). But after the installation and tuning, the setup was sounding quite bad, almost pathetic. BTW, all the items are supposed to be with bill & warranty. Why "supposed to be"? Well, I'll come to that story later. Anyway the installer tried, I tried, we tuned/detuned the amp, the HU but no, it was to no avail and system was sounding bad. It was very treble heavy and bass was almost missing. I know JBL's are bright but not like this. Anyway it was getting late and we thought we'll give a it a try later.
Next day we got the car to my place and now we found that actually one of the woofers was not firing at all. We thought it may be wiring issue and so checked the wires too. And then swapped the speaker to my system and we are sure that the speaker was dead.
So next we went to the shop and told him that the speaker is not working and then he promptly changed the speaker. He opened another box and got another piece(not pair). Now I've one question here, when a speaker of a set is faulty and they are under warranty then aren't they supposed to change the whole pair itself? I'm not sure hence I'm asking. I felt something fishy here.
But even after the swap the system was not sounding very good. We thought may be because they are new speaker and we thought of testing it for sometime. But now after a month also they are not sounding good and the bass seems to be not in sync (I'm out of better word here, it's like that the system is treble heavy and not very pleasant).
Now to the bill & warranty card story. In the mean time I checked the warranty cards provided and I was kind of shocked as out of 3 warranty cards(comps, amp and sub) only two are printed as customer copy and the 3rd one is printed as vendor copy. And NONE of the cards have the JBL hologram on it and because of that my suspicion is rooted. Or am I wrong here?
Even in the packaging of the speakers there is not sticker which says that imported by Sahil Intl. So what can be the issue here? Although the amp packaging have the sticker of Sahil Intl.
The wiring used is efx if I can remember correctly.

I'm very much worried that we may have been duped(in the worst case but keep in mind the warranty cards) here with counterfeit product. Or can it be just a case of very bad installation and hence we are unable to get good sound. I'm not sure and so I'm not going to put the installer's name(the guy did looked genuine when we talked to him and probably he himself may not know it as he also is a new guy to ICE it seems). I've sent a mail to Sam also initially but he probably haven't checked his mail and I couldn't get any reply from him. But I hope now he'll reply here.
Regards,
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 19:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Is TMC in Jayanagar also far? You can get the setup checked there.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 19:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Is TMC in Jayanagar also far? You can get the setup checked there.
Oh man, thanks, TMC's name kind of totally slipped off my mind. But will they checkup the system as it was not installed in their place?

But what about the warranty card issue, are they genuine, I mean without any holograms and only two customer copies instead of three?
Old 14th May 2009, 19:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Oh man, thanks, TMC's name kind of totally slipped off my mind. But will they checkup the system as it was not installed in their place?

But what about the warranty card issue, are they genuine, I mean without any holograms and only two customer copies instead of three?
TMC is quite reputed. I dont think they will refuse to check the setup.

About the warranty cards, is there a manufacturing date on the boxes? Maybe the stock was old and they didn't have the holograms? Sam can throw some light on it perhaps.
Old 14th May 2009, 19:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
TMC is quite reputed. I dont think they will refuse to check the setup.

About the warranty cards, is there a manufacturing date on the boxes? Maybe the stock was old and they didn't have the holograms? Sam can throw some light on it perhaps.
Will get it checked in TMC, infact yesterday only I went there to get a replacement bulb for my headlight.

And about the stock, these are newly launched products(components and amp) and I guess all these warranty cards bound to have holograms. But yes, let's wait for Sam to reply.
Old 14th May 2009, 19:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And about the stock, these are newly launched products(components and amp)
slightly OT:
Arre you said its the same setup you have in your car. So that means you got you audio set up also recently. You keep upgrading your audio equipment as well kya???
Old 14th May 2009, 19:35   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

While we wait for Sam to reply, could you let us know the exact system that you & your friend have?
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 20:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Oops sorry, it's not same but similar setup. Sorry for the confusion. Basically I'm having one generation older Speakers and amps then my friend. But my Sub is the newer GT5 series sub and his is CS series I think, but if I've read Sam's posts carefully before then both these subs are similar.
His setup : GTO 608c, GT5-S644 amplifier, Kenwood 6539 HU and JBL CS-12 series Sub
My setup : GTO 607c, GT5-A644 Amp, Blaupunkt Bahamas MP34 and JBL GT5-12 sub

Sam, where art though?
Old 14th May 2009, 20:02   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello,

As someone rightly pointed out, these are all new models and should carry holograms. This is also why we're educating the customers through our "Only genuine JBL® comes with the Original JBL hologram"
Our hologram/warranty card policy is driven strictly and straight from the central warehouse.

Now that I've said that, there are no duplicate GTO608c available anywhere in the world (so far) - I am pretty sure what you have is original. Unfortunately I cannot assure you if it is fresh stock or properly stored etc. etc

I've always warned everyone that if things are especially cheaper than you expect, there's got to be a good reason.

I suggest you take the equipment to a competent installer and have the installation, cabling and phasing checked.

And relax, we will find a way out of this together.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 20:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sam,
Thanks for the update. I told my friend that he is supposed to have the holograms but the installer have brain-washed him (I couldn't accompany him to the shop after the finding) saying that some of the products comes with cards without holograms and he need not worry about it. But anyway it's assuring to know that alteast they are not fakes.
BTW, can the sub-woofer be fake, as this one doesn't comes with a box and he actually got us the sub which is already been placed into a ported enclosure.
About the price that he have paid is at par with the current market price of the speakers, so basically they were not cheaper than expected.
Will surely get the system checked by a good installer soon. Probably TMC or Satya. I just hope that it's just an installation issue and can be sorted out.
Also, what about the replacement speaker that was given off the shelf from a different pair? Is this a common practice? Or for claiming warranty period replacement we actually need to replace the pair as a whole? I just want to know how it works as I'm unaware of the policies.
Regards,
Old 14th May 2009, 20:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Maybe a case of Bad tuning?
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 20:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

have you checked if the sub RCA has been given the sub-out preout from the head unit?
go to another installer.
REMOVE everything. Get everything reinstalled. I am quite sure you will be happy. The equipment list is quite good! some of the best stuff in that budget!
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 01:02   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I told my friend that he is supposed to have the holograms but the installer have brain-washed him (I couldn't accompany him to the shop after the finding) saying that some of the products comes with cards without holograms and he need not worry
It's your friends money. He should be an educated customer. Sometimes a "good" deal turns into a mess.

Quote:

BTW, can the sub-woofer be fake, as this one doesn't comes with a box and he actually got us the sub which is already been placed into a ported enclosure.
*rolling my eyes* So now he bought a subwoofer that had no box? He got you a sub which had already been placed in an enclosure?

What does that mean?

We're one of the few companies that sell completely boxed and tubed subwoofers. Importing boxes and tubes is an expensive affair, one pays freight and duty on the entire assembly. Why would a dealer buy a pre-boxed or tubed subwoofer and sell only the driver?
Think.
Seems to me that it would be a damaged or used tube that has been opened and the driver removed and sold. That's what I think.

He'd better have paid very little for the sub.

Quote:
About the price that he have paid is at par with the current market price of the speakers, so basically they were not cheaper than expected.
So he paid regular market price and purchased speakers with missing holograms, mixed up warranty cards and a subwoofer with no outer carton. And got no bill for his purchase.

Sigh. If I was a paying customer I would never accept anything less than satisfactory.

Quote:
Also, what about the replacement speaker that was given off the shelf from a different pair? Is this a common practice? Or for claiming warranty period replacement we actually need to replace the pair as a whole? I just want to know how it works as I'm unaware of the policies.
Kaushik, your friend bought a pair of components with no holograms on them. His warranty card was suspect. He got no bill. Ergo no official warranty. Warranty claims are complete only with a hologrammed warranty card and a copy of the invoice. Otherwise all warranty claims are rejected immediately.

His speaker did not work out of the box (this is almost impossible for a JBL speaker, search the entire forum to see if anyone has had a problem like that with any JBL speaker - JBL QC stands at one of the highest in the industry)
His dealer offered to replace the offending speaker on the spot with another piece from another box. Good for your friend, I am glad that his dealer gave him some service. Normally that is not the warranty procedure.
The warranty card has to be clearly filled out and the dealer has to register the serial number with his supplying distributor. Then replacing the speaker is done after approval from the H.O. - emergency approvals can be made by the distributor of the state who then settles it later with the H.O.

I guess your dealer took that procedure upon himself. Shrug. Like I said, good for your friend and honourable of the dealer.

It is OK to replace one mid-woofer with another from another box, at this level it is totally acceptable, the entire series is voice matched - not piece-to-pice and the tolerance is justifiable.

But seriously Kaushik... I feel like spanking you, lol. Now go to Satya and ask him to take everything apart and install it again.

Let us know how it goes.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 14:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So next we went to the shop and told him that the speaker is not working and then he promptly changed the speaker. He opened another box and got another piece(not pair). Now I've one question here, when a speaker of a set is faulty and they are under warranty then aren't they supposed to change the whole pair itself? I'm not sure hence I'm asking. I felt something fishy here.

I had the same experience when I purchased a pair of JBLs for my rear. I bought them w/o B & W. One speaker was poof poofing & out it went & a new box was opened & one speaker taken out & fixed in my car & problem over. No need to worry about that, but it simply means that there is only fixing guarantee, no 1 year warranty.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 14:19   #15
Team-BHP Support

Missing in Bass but lots of treble. It could be something simple as wrong polarity of wiring to speakers which is canceling out the bass.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote