Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2009, 03:54   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Currently in Houston
Posts: 25
Thanked: 0 Times
Thumbs up ICE for Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt

Heylo Audiophiles,

I bought an used Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt recently! (applause)

The previous owner had a HU, front co axials and rear ovals, all Sony XPlod. Sounded nowhere close to the sound I expect in my car, so ripped them all off and have installed these new ones.

HU: Pioneer DEH 4190SD - I play music from my iphone mostly
Front: Infinity 5020CS in stock location and tweeters just above the rear view mirror adjuster knobs.
Rear: Infinity 9623i on the parcel tray.

Autoshop in Koramangala did the honours. We used the existing wiring and spacers.

I mostly listen to modern/progressive rock, pop, bollywood music and radio. I am looking for clear vocals and crisp/tight bass at decent volumes.

This setup does not have the punch that I am looking for. Sounds very mediocre. I had a very similar setup in my Swift earlier and it sounded awesome.

With Fader and Balance to 0, the rear dominates and drowns the components. At fader set to F 2, its a little OK, but bass sounds pale and the components sound underpowered.

What could be the problem? Old wiring? Lack of amp? Settings/install? Do I really need a sub?

I can put in another 10K to get the sound right. Please help fellas.

Respect,
Naresh
Swift_ICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 12:32   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,866
Thanked: 2,229 Times
Default

add an amp. something like the jbl gto 1004. very powerful, and an option to use 2 of its channels later, to power any sub.
amplifiy the fronts and rears and you will be more than happy with the punch!
make sure the hpf and lpf is done from the amplifier, since you will have to keep the hpf off from the head unit.
an hpf of about 80hz for the fronts, and NO hpf for the rears. you will be happy.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 23:42   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Currently in Houston
Posts: 25
Thanked: 0 Times
Smile Infinity Reference 475a

Thanks Frankmehta... How about Infinity REF475A? Or is the JBL 1004 CS better? inputs please... Also request all the gurus to please help me. Is 5.25 in components so less effective than a 6.5 in driver?
Swift_ICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 00:47   #4
BHPian
 
audiophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 153
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

@swift ICE, I would definately suggest an amp and a good sub.
Try a JBL amp, heard that their really good.

Im currently using a setup as follows in my 1.6 and its great:

Pioneer DEH 5050UB HU with USB and iPod connection.
JBL GTO 508C component speakers---5.25".
Polk Audio DB690---6x9 oval 3 way speakers.
Sony XM-504Z 4/3 Channel amp.
Pioneer W306DVC---12" subwoofer.
Hitron RCA cables with Cadence 8 guage wiring.
Hitron fuse for 8 guage.
Damped boot.

Also...you really can't fit anything bigger than a 5.25" CS in an ikon..."buggers didn't give much space".

Last edited by audiophile : 2nd June 2009 at 00:59.
audiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 00:47   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 308 Times
Default

The JBL 1004 is a more powerful amp than the Infinity but the infinity is really good too.
Its very balanced.

6.5 inch will definitely be better than the 5.25inch mid bass of the same product.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 01:01   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,837
Thanked: 1,315 Times
Default

were proper spacer rings used to mount the 5"ers on the 5x7 frame? if they are just held in place there, you will lose out on the mid bass in front
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 01:06   #7
BHPian
 
audiophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 153
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

+1 to greenhorn, its very necessary to use the right size spacer rings so that you don't loose out on the mid bass.
audiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 03:38   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,314
Thanked: 431 Times
Default

The stock front location in the ikon is 5.25", if you need to go in for 6.5", you need to use spacers and one needs to cut the front door pads. :(
govigov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 09:04   #9
BHPian
 
sathee46's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 465
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift_ICE View Post
Thanks Frankmehta... How about Infinity REF475A? Or is the JBL 1004 CS better? inputs please... Also request all the gurus to please help me. Is 5.25 in components so less effective than a 6.5 in driver?
The 1004 is a brutally powerful amplifier. The 475a though less powerful, is rated high in terms of SQ. For your listening taste I'd suggest you get the 475a.

The 6.5 is always more effective, but the 5.25 is not far behind. For the Ikon it is better to have 5.25.
sathee46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 20:37   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Currently in Houston
Posts: 25
Thanked: 0 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile View Post
@swift ICE, I would definately suggest an amp and a good sub.
Try a JBL amp, heard that their really good.

Im currently using a setup as follows in my 1.6 and its great:

Pioneer DEH 5050UB HU with USB and iPod connection.
JBL GTO 508C component speakers---5.25".
Polk Audio DB690---6x9 oval 3 way speakers.
Sony XM-504Z 4/3 Channel amp.
Pioneer W306DVC---12" subwoofer.
Hitron RCA cables with Cadence 8 guage wiring.
Hitron fuse for 8 guage.
Damped boot.

Also...you really can't fit anything bigger than a 5.25" CS in an ikon..."buggers didn't give much space".
Wow, thats what I call business. I dont have so much money to blow at the moment, so will take a step by step approach. First an amp then maybe the sub...

Buggers Even I am not convinced with the idea of cutting the door panels AND I have already bought a pair of 5 inchers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
The stock front location in the ikon is 5.25", if you need to go in for 6.5", you need to use spacers and one needs to cut the front door pads. :(
oh no.. no cutting, I would rather use the stock size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile View Post
+1 to greenhorn, its very necessary to use the right size spacer rings so that you don't loose out on the mid bass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
were proper spacer rings used to mount the 5"ers on the 5x7 frame? if they are just held in place there, you will lose out on the mid bass in front
Yes, made sure the correct size spacers were used. I suspect the wiring though, so will get it changed to OFC in the first chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
The JBL 1004 is a more powerful amp than the Infinity but the infinity is really good too.
Its very balanced.

6.5 inch will definitely be better than the 5.25inch mid bass of the same product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathee46 View Post
The 1004 is a brutally powerful amplifier. The 475a though less powerful, is rated high in terms of SQ. For your listening taste I'd suggest you get the 475a.

The 6.5 is always more effective, but the 5.25 is not far behind. For the Ikon it is better to have 5.25.
I gather I should audition an infinity 475A and the JBL 1004 before settling on one.

Any idea where I would get the best deal in Bangalore and the price quotes for these 2 amps if someone has it handy?

Thanks a lot fellas for all the help!

Cheers,
Naresh
Swift_ICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 23:05   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

I think the Infinity References have a 2ohm (2.86) impedance.
Even a JBL GT5-A604 should suffice. It should give anything between 70-80W RMS @ 13.8V.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 23:33   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Currently in Houston
Posts: 25
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I think the Infinity References have a 2ohm (2.86) impedance.
Even a JBL GT5-A604 should suffice. It should give anything between 70-80W RMS @ 13.8V.
Do you think the SQ will be same?
Swift_ICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 13:06   #13
BHPian
 
audiophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 153
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift_ICE View Post

Any idea where I would get the best deal in Bangalore and the price quotes for these 2 amps if someone has it handy?
Cheers,
Naresh

Hey Naresh, Check with Satya from Evo, he might be able to help you here.

You can reach him at 9845376094.
audiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 17:40   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
panky12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,652
Thanked: 126 Times
Default

audiophile.. please use the PM for phone numbers. Its a public forum. :-)
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 18:22   #15
BHPian
 
audiophile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 153
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Hey panky, My bad....will remember that from next time onwards.
audiophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt ZXI - 6 years, 72,000 kms Damu Long-Term Ownership Reviews 135 24th April 2015 12:36
Starting Problem for Ford Ikon 1.6 Nxt obed5579 Technical Stuff 0 17th June 2009 13:25
ford fiesta SXI after Ford IKON nxt amolathalye Sedans 10 24th February 2009 10:19
Hello..I am from Mumbai owning FORD Ikon 1.6 Nxt daudani Introduce yourself 4 12th February 2009 18:50
2004 Ford Ikon 1.6 nxt repeated ECM Fuse blowout 1100D Technical Stuff 13 22nd February 2007 22:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks