Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 10th June 2009, 00:54   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Listen to the IDQ - it is an excellent subwoofer and you might like it. But listen to it first - one man's meat and all that.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 09:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
The IDQ10 is available for ~10.5k in Mumbai. Wouldnt that be a better buy than a CTX at 7.8k?
Jaibir, where in Mumbai is the IDQ available ? i would love to audition an IDQ sub.
arpandiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 09:56   #18
BHPian

Thanks for the advise guys. Will do the mono install this weekend and start auditioning subs. Have already borrowed a friend's JBL 12" to kick things off (the one that use to come in a sealed box). Others on the list are the IDQ, Polk 8" and JBL 10". Will also try to see if I can get hold of a JL audio one.

@arpaniv, its available at FM Drive in Khar
jaibir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 15:16   #19
BHPian

Got the mono installed this weekend and plugged in the JBL 12". Unofrtunately, there was no box ready for the IDQ so couldnt demo that (hopefully next weekend). The JBL sounds ok but doesnt seem to suite my tastes. Its response to different bass tones in quick succession (something like a bass guitar solo) seems to be unable to keep up with the music. For my needs, something that can do that and blend in the music would work - even if it doesnt go as low. The JBL seems to work very well for more beaty music, where the bass is more prominent but simpler . Have a couple of weeks to demo some other stuff so should be able to find something that suits my tastes.
Old 15th June 2009, 17:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Default Polk Audio Db Series

How Good are the Polk audio db series 10" subs? Can anyone give any feedback on this?
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 18:25   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Got the mono installed this weekend and plugged in the JBL 12". Unofrtunately, there was no box ready for the IDQ so couldnt demo that (hopefully next weekend). The JBL sounds ok but doesnt seem to suite my tastes. Its response to different bass tones in quick succession (something like a bass guitar solo) seems to be unable to keep up with the music. For my needs, something that can do that and blend in the music would work - even if it doesnt go as low. The JBL seems to work very well for more beaty music, where the bass is more prominent but simpler . Have a couple of weeks to demo some other stuff so should be able to find something that suits my tastes.
I second your observations mate! I tried listening to DT's hollow years from live at budokan and it sucked big time. Let's not even get into Opeth. But then I was running the cs1204 on a kenwood 8401 which had 6db/octave crossover slope so I guess I couldn't say that definitively. Will watch this space for sure.

BTW, whats the LPF set @?

Last edited by wannabe loser : 15th June 2009 at 18:29. Reason: info missed
wannabe loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 18:29   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe loser View Post
BTW, whats the LPF set @?
Its currently set at 100. Will lower it at the next tweaking session - 70-80 should do. Have the HPF set for the rear ovals. Will try and match that.
Old 15th June 2009, 18:46   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Its currently set at 100. Will lower it at the next tweaking session - 70-80 should do. Have the HPF set for the rear ovals. Will try and match that.
Yeah, 70-80 should make a difference me thinks. Whats the crossover slope on the Eclipse XA1000 again?

And what are the compos crossed at?
wannabe loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 19:34   #24
BHPian

This is what the specs say for the mono:
"variable low-pass filter (50-200 Hz, 18 dB/octave)"

Have left the compos at flat (no hpf/lpf) from the amp. Tried the hpf but it makes them sound a little muffled. I dont play them too loud so decided to leave it off.