Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 10th June 2009, 10:54   #1
BHPian

Default Advice Required on ICEing my Safari Ex 4x4

Hello all brethren out there....I acquired a Safari 2.2Vtt Ex 4x4 early this year and mine was probably the first 2009 models on this forum. Well, I am pretty dissatisfied with the stock ICE HU and the stock speakers. I am jotting down my queries, please help..

1. What are the stock speakers in the Safari Ex model? Brand? Components/Co-axials? Size? Mounting Depth?

2. How many pre-outs do we have in this HU (Alpine 9870, if I am not wrong)?

3. I have the following equipment with me which I have 'collected' over the years and I plan to use this in my Safari.
Pioneer 7950 HU; JBL 75.4; JBL 300.1; JBL CS1204T
How should I go about it? Also, my beast is just about 2 months old. If I go in for such extensive upgrading/replacing of stuff, does it lead to the warranty going void? If yes, what are the options available for upgradation of the stock ICE?

4. Some good installers in the NCR region...I desperately want pointers on this.

Guys, please help. It is such a crappy system in a gem of a vehicle. I know you'll bail me out of this.....
asejwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 11:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

1. Damping
2. upgrade power cable (Big 3).
3. The 75.4 can be used to drive 4 speakers - 2 in the front and 2 in the rear. the CS 300 can be used to drive the sub (1204T).

if you do not cut the wirining harness but use the adapter then your warranty wont be Void. If you want to be doubly sure ask your dealer to claify this.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 11:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

the alpine HU is far better than most setups that come OE. Unfortunately it has only 1 pre out. It does sound better than the pio 7950, but since you need 4 pre outs, will have to swap them.

the OE comps are blaupunkt

no, you wont lose warranty.

dealers/installers in the NCR, just search on team bhp, there are more than enough threads for the same

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...delhi-ncr.html for ex!

Last edited by greenhorn : 10th June 2009 at 11:08.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 11:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. Damping
2. upgrade power cable (Big 3).
3. The 75.4 can be used to drive 4 speakers - 2 in the front and 2 in the rear. the CS 300 can be used to drive the sub (1204T).

if you do not cut the wirining harness but use the adapter then your warranty wont be Void. If you want to be doubly sure ask your dealer to claify this.
Thanx Navin on the inputs.
Do you really need damping on the Safari doors? They are already so heavy - damping them would mean further adding weight...
Also, do you think I need to change the stock speakers? Are they component speakers or co-axials - they lack bass; the sound is very 'phatphatiya', if you get what I mean...
Old 10th June 2009, 11:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Damping helps even if the doors are heavy or strong its always advisable to get damping if you are running your speakers though an amp.

Mostly OE speakers are coax get them changed to components.
karankapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 12:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

you need to damp the safari door panels, since the speakers are mounted on them, and not the door frame. They will rattle to no end if you dont damp them
Old 10th June 2009, 14:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

No, greenie, surprisingly they neither rattle nor buzz, but one can feel the vibrations in the panel (energy lost -> less efficiency). Damping those massive FRP areas is not a simple job: first stiffness has to be increased (FG?) and *then* the panel has to be damped.

Are you sure the compos are Blau? Me think not, though whichever brand they are not bad at all.

@asejwal, perhaps the lack of bass that you are feeling is more due to a higher expectation, as well as the fact that engine rumble and body panel resonance (doors, roof, floor) is masking most of the usable bass from the components. The rear coaxials are good, though a bit muted at normal front volume.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 14:54   #8
BHPian

@DerAlte
Bro...I usually drive a Sierra and therefore, I find my Safari to be 'very silent' when it comes to ambient noise inside the cabin. There is, in fact, no bass at all in the speakers...
I have listed some equipment which I already have. Can guys please help me out in suggesting some good components (what brand and dia) and some good wiring? (budget of about 15k for the same)
Pertaining to the warranty issue, I sent a mail for clarification to info@safaridicor.com. After 2 days, yet to hear from them...
Old 10th June 2009, 14:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

I recall reading elsewhere here that the oe comps are blau. Will search and post where later
Old 10th June 2009, 14:56   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
you need to damp the safari door panels, since the speakers are mounted on them, and not the door frame. They will rattle to no end if you dont damp them
from experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No, greenie, surprisingly they neither rattle nor buzz, but one can feel the vibrations in the panel (energy lost -> less efficiency). Damping those massive FRP areas is not a simple job: first stiffness has to be increased (FG?) and *then* the panel has to be damped.

Are you sure the compos are Blau? Me think not, though whichever brand they are not bad at all.

@asejwal, perhaps the lack of bass that you are feeling is more due to a higher expectation, as well as the fact that engine rumble and body panel resonance (doors, roof, floor) is masking most of the usable bass from the components. The rear coaxials are good, though a bit muted at normal front volume.
No rattle for me till now. Use a JBL GTO1000 ported box too with mono amp. Pretty happy with what I hear for a stock speaker (compo). I upgraded the HU though, big difference, to another Alpine.

Sad about the co-ax though.

And I am not sure about the brand; looked of a good quality( had posted pic somewhere here).
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 15:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I upgraded the HU though, big difference, to another Alpine.
What Alpine model did you upgrade to? Care to share...
Old 10th June 2009, 15:00   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asejwal View Post
3. I have the following equipment with me which I have 'collected' over the years and I plan to use this in my Safari.
Pioneer 7950 HU; JBL 75.4; JBL 300.1; JBL CS1204T
Fairly decent "collection" you happen to have lying around lol. Good luck.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 15:06   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Fairly decent "collection" you happen to have lying around lol. Good luck.
Thanks Sam. Help me put it up as a decent ICE system...
Old 10th June 2009, 15:21   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asejwal View Post
What Alpine model did you upgrade to? Care to share...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ice-beast.html

jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 15:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
from experience?

I guess mine alone. JK's safari's comps ( and doors) sound quite fine the way they are , but i suppose damping might be needed once he amps them