Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 13th June 2005, 22:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Car audio problem.

guys i've noticed this today. When i increase the volume, really loud, the sub and rear speaker just stop as if disconneted! And when i reduce the vol. they work normally. This happens when vol. is more than 35 in a Pioneer Head Unit. What could it be guys????
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2005, 22:37   #2
BHPian

It could be your amplifier shutting itself down when it isnt able to deliver clean power to your sub and speakers just before it starts clipping.

That way its helping you......Stopping you from frying your sub and speakers by sending a clipped signal to them.
5u3zEr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2005, 23:32   #3
BHPian

i am facing a similar problem with my jvc system sv-3000 cd/mp3/vcd with a 300 watts 2 channel x-over amplifier and 12" pioneer woofer, ovals in a boom box whenever i increase the volume more than 35(max is 50) the player shuts down and restarts again & i have noticed this happening when my fogs & hedlamps are on.... could this be a battery problem/wireing problem experts please help?
pls note have insatalled a new battery 4 months back...
sparco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2005, 23:43   #4
Team-BHP Support

kartik are you using an amp? if so is the amp only connected to the rear speakers and sub? maybe your amp is protecting itself.

sparco, P=V*I. If power is constant and voltage drops current increases to compensate. you say you got a amp and 12" and 6x9 connected to the HU. u got 3 options turn it down, improve the power wires feeding the amp and HU and/or add a stiffening cap (it willl help margianally but might jsut take you over the hump).

BTW dont you guys hear a lot of distortion before this happens? i would suspect that any amp (HU or outboard) would distort if absued in this manner.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2005, 04:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

From what you say I gather that everything is fine with the systems.

the two problems can be

1. Erratic wiring.the biggest enemy of car audio.get it checked thoroughly.

2. The amp is not compatible with your speaker set.get is set properly with a good technician.

otherwise everything looks fine but cant say.U shud start with the wiring.

cheers boyracer
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2005, 10:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

the problem is that the batter cannot support so much power..need to go in for a bigger battery.
it shows that when you increase the electrical load on the battery it cannot support the requirement and the amps which all have built in safety cut offs switches off.
distortion and enginne whine are wiring related...need to check wiring for that...switching off you need a new bigger battery
iceman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2005, 21:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have a pioneer 4ch amp and a pioneer 2000W sub. The amp is connected to the sub and the rear speakers(Kenwood Components).

The last time this happened, the guys changed the fuse kept sumwhere in the bonnet near the battery. Wonder if this could b the prob this time.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 11:11   #8
BHPian

Default Re: Car audio problem.

Posting on behalf of a friend who is not a forum member.

He has an Alto Lxi. Car is fitted with a Sony Xplod music system by Maruti dealer at the time of delivery. Car and music system are approximately 3 years old. ICE setup is pretty basic - HU with 2 round speakers and 2 oval speakers.

He is facing a weird problem. While driving the car with music system playing (in any mode - FM or CD), occasionally the music system gets reset. In FM mode, FM stops playing for few seconds and them resumes after some time. In CD mode, song playing gets stopped and does not continue after this reset happens.

This reset behaviour is random. It is not related to physical shock (when going over bad roads), it happens randomly even when car is driven on smooth road.

My friend got the wiring checked from Maruti dealer. Maruti dealer says problem is with the Sony HU.

When Sony HU was given at Sony service centre, they replaced the lens (I'm pretty sure that my friend was ripped off , there was no need to replace the lens because the problem was being faced even in FM mode). So problem reoccured and the HU was given back to Sony service centre. This time they said that there was some loose contact in some connector which has been touched up. They kept the HU under observation for several hours but problem was not reproduced.

But after putting the HU back in the car, the reset problem again resurfaced. The frequency of the reset occurance has reduced, but the problem is not fully solved. So the HU has been given to Sony service centre (third time). Meanwhile, I have advised my friend to get the car's wiring checked again by Maruti guys.

Audio gurus, please advise on how to solve the issue.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 8th June 2011 at 11:13.
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 11:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

If the unit gets reset, does the FM stations stored in the memory also clear? If yes, this could be because of some issue with the power connector or power wire. It would be as good as disconnecting the battery or removing the HU from the car, when such observations would be made.

I would suggest you to replace the power wire and connector (male and female) of the HU and check the complete power lead that goes to the battery. There should be a break or loose connection somewhere in between.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 11:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
If the unit gets reset, does the FM stations stored in the memory also clear? If yes, this could be because of some issue with the power connector or power wire. It would be as good as disconnecting the battery or removing the HU from the car, when such observations would be made.

I would suggest you to replace the power wire and connector (male and female) of the HU and check the complete power lead that goes to the battery. There should be a break or loose connection somewhere in between.
No the FM stations in the HU do not get cleared.

Sorry I used the wrong term, the HU is getting restarted, not reset. That's why I feel that the power from the battery should not be suspected.

What else could be the issue ?

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 8th June 2011 at 11:42.
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 19:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Check the ACC connection - that is the yellow wire (sometimes yellow stripe on red wire) that comes from the keylock. If you turn the keylock off, it shuts off (not resets) the HU. A loose connection (can be a worn out contact on the keylock itself) could cause this. Simplest check - wire a low wattage small 12V bulb from this connection at the keylock to ground. If the lamp goes off frequently, there lies the problem.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote