Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2009, 14:16   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
tanwaramit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dilwalon ki Dilli
Posts: 1,886
Thanked: 334 Times
Default Car Stereo Stolen: Need Advice

Fellow BHPians,

Wanted to share my story, which is around 2 weeks old.

Thieves broke the window pane in my car (xing) , entered without opening the doors, by jumping inside from the rear right side door window, took out the stereo and left the place by switching on the parking lights of the car.

Thanks to frequent power custs in our area in the night and no parking space inside building + empty plots next to the place where car was parked, thieves managed to do their job easily.

The parking lights glowing was spotted by my neighbour, who in turn told us about it, wifey went to switch it off and to her surprise found the rear window glass broken and stereo missing.

Have replaced the window glass (no tints now) and no HU as of now. Though had installed JBL speakers hardly a month back (following info from fellow BHPians here)

Though my system hardly used to play CDs, it was majorly used only for playing FM. Now thanks to thieves even thats not possible, passengers in my car now have to manage with my voice

The thieves didnt touch my CDs, Speakers, Car perfume etc, they were only interested in HU and they managed to take it very easily right outside my door at around 8:30 PM in the night.

Now my question to fellow BHPians.

1. I hadnt removed the Front Piece of my HU for past few days, if it is removed and taken away, what are the chances of your HU getting stolen?

2. I am planning to sell this car soon, how will the resale value of the car be effected (I will sell it without HU, as am not interested in buying another HU now for this car)

Look forward to your valuable suggestions please.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 14:37   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
ASHISHPALLOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MH42
Posts: 1,987
Thanked: 285 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
1. I hadnt removed the Front Piece of my HU for past few days, if it is removed and taken away, what are the chances of your HU getting stolen?
I always remove front piece of HU and keep it in glove box trying my way to fool the thieves. if thieves are oversmart, they can easily find that piece in glove box.
As of now, there is not any foolproof system to be safe from smart thieves.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 14:42   #3
BHPian
 
muralisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hyderabad, Bangalore
Posts: 674
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

When ever I park in unknown places and where I am not comfortable, I remove the front panel and carry it with me. I guess, if someone has to steal it, so be it, but it should not be of any use for them either.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 14:57   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,969
Thanked: 4,932 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post

Now my question to fellow BHPians.

1. I hadnt removed the Front Piece of my HU for past few days, if it is removed and taken away, what are the chances of your HU getting stolen?

2. I am planning to sell this car soon, how will the resale value of the car be effected (I will sell it without HU, as am not interested in buying another HU now for this car)
1. Less chance. Although thieves may find a replacement head stolen from someone else, the chances of only the unit being stolen from your car come down considerably.

2. Shouldn't affect the resale. Depends on the person buying the car. If he is a music fanatic, he'll just replace the deck anyways even if you had the old one. Max, be prepared to settle for 5 grand less if the buyer bargains hard. Otherwise if you are concerned, buy a little cheap deck and fix it.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 15:13   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
prince_pervez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Redwood shores, CA, USA
Posts: 4,205
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

I got the modus operandi from what you have written but why switch on the parking lights?

I was going to suggest you something like an autocop which detects a possible break in / window shaterring..etc. but how much time does it take to whisk a HU after some glass has been shattered?
Most probably the thugs had a bike ready for a getway.
Agreed, that, nothing is fool proof as far as personal car security is concerned but "Buying Time" the name of the game everywhere, be it a gear lock or steering lock or whatever lock. Same thing should be there for stereo systems.

Detachable HUs were introduced to be plucked from the car when one gets off the car. That itself is a security measure.
I'm sorry buddy, as much as I can understand your pain, you should have removed the HU before leaving. These crooks are very smart and always aware of your moves as it is thier "Full Time Job". Be careful next time.

I don't think it would affect the resale value unless the potential buyer is very superstitious.
I'm sorry for your loss man.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 29th June 2009 at 15:15.
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 15:15   #6
BHPian
 
D3NZ1L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 53
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

safer to remove the HU during the night always play it safe .
D3NZ1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 15:39   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
hillram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,839
Thanked: 952 Times
Default

Didnt you have a security system in your car which sends out sirens?
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 15:59   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 393
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Thieves broke the window pane in my car (xing) , entered without opening the doors, by jumping inside from the rear right side door window, took out the stereo and left the place by switching on the parking lights of the car.
Happened to me twice. Lost my Pioneer, and then an Alpine this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
I hadnt removed the Front Piece of my HU for past few days, if it is removed and taken away, what are the chances of your HU getting stolen?
That's the way to be, even if you have installed a laser emitting, Ocean Eleven-inspired intrusion detection system installed in your car. Always take the HU front with you when you park your car at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
I am planning to sell this car soon, how will the resale value of the car be effected (I will sell it without HU, as am not interested in buying another HU now for this car)
I'd seriously recommend spending Rs 3200-3500 and plonking a Sony/Pioneer grey market HU (Pioneer 2050, if you like things to be precise) into your car. Even if you are selling your car 'soon', you'll get to enjoy your music until then. And whatever money you do invest, you can easily charge a 2k premium for it when you sell
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 16:25   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
tanwaramit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dilwalon ki Dilli
Posts: 1,886
Thanked: 334 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
Happened to me twice. Lost my Pioneer, and then an Alpine this way.
Sorry to hear your loss too, it pains to see such damage and loss to your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
That's the way to be, even if you have installed a laser emitting, Ocean Eleven-inspired intrusion detection system installed in your car. Always take the HU front with you when you park your car at night.
Well, you know what, I have some plans of similar thing for my next car apart from taking HU out, however what to do in case of integrated HU ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenh0rn View Post
I'd seriously recommend spending Rs 3200-3500 and plonking a Sony/Pioneer grey market HU (Pioneer 2050, if you like things to be precise) into your car. Even if you are selling your car 'soon', you'll get to enjoy your music until then. And whatever money you do invest, you can easily charge a 2k premium for it when you sell
I think so, how good are these grey HUs ? are they original pioneer or Chinese make with Pioneer stamp ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Didnt you have a security system in your car which sends out sirens?
I do have autocop and was quite confident of nothing will happen to my car, the thieves did not open the door and just smashed the window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3NZ1L View Post
safer to remove the HU during the night always play it safe .
Yeah, only thing I learnt it hard way, after reading sidindicas story a few months back I used to take HU out regularly, but was sort of lazy for past few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I got the modus operandi from what you have written but why switch on the parking lights?
May be to tell us, "our job is done, come and secure your vehicle from other kind of thefts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I was going to suggest you something like an autocop which detects a possible break in / window shaterring..etc.
Yeah, now need to install something which is touch sensitive and gives me an alarm right in my home too, am getting too tech savvy now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post

Most probably the thugs had a bike ready for a getway.
Theres the funny part, they stole a bike too of a person from our building, his bike was parked outside too (new bike), he realised it next day evening when he needed the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Detachable HUs were introduced to be plucked from the car when one gets off the car. That itself is a security measure.
I'm sorry buddy, as much as I can understand your pain, you should have removed the HU before leaving. These crooks are very smart and always aware of your moves as it is thier "Full Time Job". Be careful next time.
True, a little laziness cost me several thousands, I agree with you on the point that these crooks keep an eye on the cars and security system used + what kind of HU installed, front piece left daily in the car etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
1. Less chance. Although thieves may find a replacement head stolen from someone else, the chances of only the unit being stolen from your car come down considerably.

2. Shouldn't affect the resale. Depends on the person buying the car. If he is a music fanatic, he'll just replace the deck anyways even if you had the old one. Max, be prepared to settle for 5 grand less if the buyer bargains hard. Otherwise if you are concerned, buy a little cheap deck and fix it.
Thanks for your points Tejas, will keep them in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
When ever I park in unknown places and where I am not comfortable, I remove the front panel and carry it with me. I guess, if someone has to steal it, so be it, but it should not be of any use for them either.
Agreed, valid point, I would like to recommend to remove it at all places, as of today , no place is safe, not even if its your home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
I always remove front piece of HU and keep it in glove box trying my way to fool the thieves. if thieves are oversmart, they can easily find that piece in glove box.
I wont mind now on to keep that extra in my pocket, its worth the pain and troubles later when its stolen.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 16:30   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,847
Thanked: 7,246 Times
Default

In London, if you leave the front on the head unit, you don't expect the HU to be there when you get back*.

One removable HU (entire unit slid out) I had, I used to put under the seat; it was stolen.

I'm afraid that, just as we see more and more reports of "chain snatching" and other street crime, this is going to be a growing trend.



*Never mind the HU; you don't leave anything on view inside the car. It is so depressing having to have the glass replaced, and clean up the mess, for an empty case!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2009, 20:23   #11
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,531
Thanked: 4,705 Times
Default

Very sorry to know that amit.Its just a matter of luck. We are seldom prepared.Not always do we remove the HU panel.And then we got caught when prancing on the prey is easy by outlaws.
That applies to most of us.We rarely take care to remove the HU panel.I was too careful with my Sony HU panel that was fitted in 1998,in my Maruti till it was new.Then took things quite easy.But as luck has it, its still there! Touchwood! Its a radio cassette deck with FM so even thieves will keep off as these,as there is not much demand for such HU's now.
Coming to my Scorpio, I've got to develop the good habit of removing the HU panel.Amit your HU theft should awaken all of us to be more careful.
You should go for a new cheaper replacement(from some reputed brand) HU with FM, as you say you only listen to FM radio.Take the theft as a loss and get along as you would under normal circumstances.
Last week, I travelled in taxis and found cheap Chinese (unknown names) HU's fitted on Indica taxis.All the three Indicas had different make HU's that looked cheap with psychadelic light displays and so on.I wonder if thieves zero in on such HU's.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2009, 20:45   #12
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,772
Thanked: 273 Times
Default

Sorry to hear about the loss of your HU. I suppose the least we can do is remove the faceplate to prevent such occurances. I promptly remove the HU whenever i park in a risky area or on the road outside my friend's place. Better be safe than sorry
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2009, 21:26   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,839
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

I think if you have an alpine/Pioneer bought with a bill, it comes with free theft insurance for a year. send them the face plate, and they should send you a new HU

Last edited by greenhorn : 5th July 2009 at 21:30.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 11:55   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
tanwaramit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dilwalon ki Dilli
Posts: 1,886
Thanked: 334 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Very sorry to know that amit.Its just a matter of luck. We are seldom prepared.Not always do we remove the HU panel.And then we got caught when prancing on the prey is easy by outlaws.

Amit your HU theft should awaken all of us to be more careful.
You should go for a new cheaper replacement(from some reputed brand) HU with FM, as you say you only listen to FM radio.Take the theft as a loss and get along as you would under normal circumstances.
Yup, thanks for your consolation, when we are comfortable thats when the thieves strike. In cases like these, I am pretty sure they keep an eye on their target for past few days before they make an attempt to attack.

I was quite careful after reading Sidindicas thread on stolen systems, but laziness caught me over time.

My biggest loss is I had spent around 10k on new speakers JBL (thank God, they were not stolen) , however cant use them as dont have any radio/cd player, as I am planning for a replacement for my car very soon, so not sure of spending that additional (even if its 2K) amount on the music system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I think if you have an alpine/Pioneer bought with a bill, it comes with free theft insurance for a year. send them the face plate, and they should send you a new HU
The system was Sony, bought with the car, around 4.5 yrs old, not sure if the warranty will be applicable for that, however its a welcome news on the Alpine/pioneer theft insurance (wasnt aware on this)
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 09:09   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: bangalore
Posts: 36
Thanked: Once
Default

Thieves are bocoming more and more sophisticated now a days.
Recently 2 weeks back, in my hometown my dads pioneer HU got stolen from his Alto and guess how they did it very interesting.
In our house we have a gated compound with a Wagon R and Alto parked, my dad as usual does not have this habbit to pull over the HU at night or say he has not done it at all since he got it installed. one fine night the theives cleverly cut the rubber beading of the hatch door removed the glass gently and placed it down, and smoothly fled away with the HU without any fuss.
My point is even if you have an anti-theft alarm device installed in your car we cannot avoid this kind of intelligent thefts.
Moral -- Always pull off your HU atleast during nights.
kites is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice Needed for Drawing Room Stereo: Harman/Kardon and Infinity vs. Bose manveet Gadgets, Computers & Software 137 28th October 2017 07:01
Laptop Stolen! Any Software/Device to track stolen laptops? majorpayne Gadgets, Computers & Software 19 9th September 2014 14:50
Find your Stolen Vehicle @ http://www.stolen.in Edit: And other similar websites dadu The Indian Car Scene 9 16th October 2009 02:48
Hyundai Verna Stolen with the Original Key Stolen from Hyundai Service Station .anshuman Indian Car Dealerships 56 3rd October 2007 23:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks