Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 23rd July 2009, 12:15   #1
BHPian

Question Budget Music System for Spark

1. Your Car: Chevy Spark LS

2. Your current setup (If any): N/A

3. Your Budget: Rs. 10 K - 12 K

4. Do you drive most of the time or is it chauffer driven? Self Driven

5. Your Music preferences (Genres, favorite artists, etc.): Soft Rock and Bollywood Music

6. Are you ready to sacrifice your boot space/modify door panels? : No

I was thinking of spending -

Rs. 5 - 6 K on a HU: Pio 2150/3150 or Ken 5539

Rs. 5 - 6 K on speakers: 4" components in the front and 4" coaxial in the rear.

I guess installation shouldn't cost more than Rs. 500, correct?

Can I fit 5.25" speakers in the rear without any modifications? Does it make sense to go in for components in the front or shall I go in for coaxial? Is this a decent music system for the budget. This car is barely driven for 10 kms a day.

Thank you for your help!
CarsPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

4" coax work fine on the front stock locations. The spark's dash slots are among the better ones (sonically) among indian cars. In fact the dieci coax in a spark sounded better than the dieci comps in my indica
Would recommend an MDF tray at the back + ovals. the stock rear locations are quite puny. The LS doesnt have anything at the back, so you'll need to buy the rear bracket (details below)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...tml#post893137 snaps here
Quote:
Cost :
Hertz DCX 100 + DCX 690 = 6560( after 20% discount)
HU Pioneer 3050 = 5700
Rear bracket = 500 (they dont come with the LS - you'll have to buy them from the ***/Dealer)
Custom rear parcel tray = 950
Wiring harness = 400
Installation charge = 200

Total = 14,310

Last edited by greenhorn : 23rd July 2009 at 12:22.
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009, 14:58   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the tips, they are very helpful! Ideally I don't want to add a parcel tray or make any other mods. However if that is the only way to get some decent audio I guess I will have to do it. What is the rear bracket? Is it something that is attached to the stock rear locations? I checked out the pictures in your thread but wasn't sure.

Thanks again .
Old 24th July 2009, 12:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Look at the 3rd pic, top right, in @greenhorn's post. There is a triangular grey plastic part with a grill like surface, just below the seat-back release pull-knob. That is the bracket.

Even without this, a decent installer will be able to figure out how to mount the MDF board to mount the rear speakers.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 16:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

it is not a mod as such. the bracket is what comes as OE in the higher variants ( PS etc) to mount the parcel tray.

the rear stock locations are impossibly small - and there will be no rear stock locations at all if you dont install the bracket - the bracket has the slots for the rear speaker
Old 24th July 2009, 17:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsPG View Post
1. Your Car: Chevy Spark LS

I was thinking of spending -

Rs. 5 - 6 K on speakers: 4" components in the front and 4" coaxial in the rear.
Trying for 2 sets of speakers within 5k may be a little difficult. IMHO, it would be a good idea to spend the money on a good set of 4" coaxials now and add 6X9 (oval) speakers in the parcel tray later.

If you add a MDF tray for ovals, then installation cost may exceed Rs.500 - not sure about this.

I agree with greenhorn that the Spark dash locations works rather well - heard a setup with Rainbow coaxes+Bull audio sub+Kenwood amplifier that sounded very nice for the money...

Some options for 4" coaxials in your budget that I have heard and liked:

1. Bull Audio (both 4"coax + 6X9 ovals can be had if you're willing to stretch the budget a little bit)
2.Image Dynamics CTX4
3. Rainbow KX100 (best sounding of these 3 to my ears but will also stretch your budget a little I think, can't remember the exact price)

Other options available are JBL, Illusion Audio, Ground Zero etcetc.

Its generally a good idea to audition as many brands as you can and let your ears decide

Note: please ensure that the HU you buy has built-in HPF (high-pass filter). Almost all entry level HUs do, but it's still good to check. You will need HPF to cut off the low/bass frequencies to the 4" coaxes as they will not be able to play the same without distortion at higher volumes.

Last edited by Flying Bong : 24th July 2009 at 18:00.
Flying Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 12:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Look at the 3rd pic, top right, in @greenhorn's post. There is a triangular grey plastic part with a grill like surface, just below the seat-back release pull-knob. That is the bracket.

Even without this, a decent installer will be able to figure out how to mount the MDF board to mount the rear speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
it is not a mod as such. the bracket is what comes as OE in the higher variants ( PS etc) to mount the parcel tray.

the rear stock locations are impossibly small - and there will be no rear stock locations at all if you dont install the bracket - the bracket has the slots for the rear speaker
I have that bracket in my car already !!

Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Bong View Post
Trying for 2 sets of speakers within 5k may be a little difficult. IMHO, it would be a good idea to spend the money on a good set of 4" coaxials now and add 6X9 (oval) speakers in the parcel tray later.

If you add a MDF tray for ovals, then installation cost may exceed Rs.500 - not sure about this.

I agree with greenhorn that the Spark dash locations works rather well - heard a setup with Rainbow coaxes+Bull audio sub+Kenwood amplifier that sounded very nice for the money...

Some options for 4" coaxials in your budget that I have heard and liked:

1. Bull Audio (both 4"coax + 6X9 ovals can be had if you're willing to stretch the budget a little bit)
2.Image Dynamics CTX4
3. Rainbow KX100 (best sounding of these 3 to my ears but will also stretch your budget a little I think, can't remember the exact price)

Other options available are JBL, Illusion Audio, Ground Zero etcetc.

Its generally a good idea to audition as many brands as you can and let your ears decide

Note: please ensure that the HU you buy has built-in HPF (high-pass filter). Almost all entry level HUs do, but it's still good to check. You will need HPF to cut off the low/bass frequencies to the 4" coaxes as they will not be able to play the same without distortion at higher volumes.
Thank you ! I don't mind stretching my budget by a little bit but didn't want to add a parcel tray. My perception is that rattling sounds good up when you add a parcel tray.

After reading the posts here it looks like 4" coaxials in the front and ovals in the rear with a parcel tray is my best bet. So this is what I will go with most likely!

Last edited by CarsPG : 27th July 2009 at 12:15.
Old 27th July 2009, 12:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

rattles increase if you add a plastic parcel tray. with a solid MDF tray, chances of rattling are less
Old 28th July 2009, 08:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

ICE for Chevy Spark - Budget 12-14K
Gurus,

I searched in this forum for Spark ICE and could only few existing thread for Spark.

I booked Spark LT and expecting to take the delivery within 10 days. I am looking for an ICE setup which deliver decent quality. Only thing I know about Spark is that it has a provision to mount 4" speakers on dash board.

I listen to all kind of music from Indian Classic to hip-hop depending on my mood. I have a fourth generation(new one) ipod nano, so expect the ICE setup ipod compatible.

Head Unit - Pioneer/Kenwood - which model?
Front 4" speakers - which make/model?
Rear - Parcel Tray - which make/model?

where to buy/install it from

I stay in Indira nagar area so could you please suggest some ICE guy who does good job at an affordable cost.

Gurus...please help me

I know that Gurus are ready with their arms to stretch my budget. I can afford couple of K more, not more than that... please!!! :-)
Latheesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 09:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

how exactly do you want to connect the ipod ?
aux in would be cheaper, digital (USB) would be too expensive imho, but you get more control.
I think I'll leave the rest to the bangalore folks
Old 28th July 2009, 10:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

@latheesh, check out EVO in Cambridge Layout (Satya is a TBHP member - @blueraven316). He should be able to show you a variety and give an audition.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 10:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
rattles increase if you add a plastic parcel tray. with a solid MDF tray, chances of rattling are less
Thanks! Will keep that in mind .

In going through old threads I saw that Poona Motors, Bafna & Bhandari received good reviews in Pune. Should I stick to these three or are there any other good options?
Old 28th July 2009, 11:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@latheesh, check out EVO in Cambridge Layout (Satya is a TBHP member - @blueraven316). He should be able to show you a variety and give an audition.
Thanks DerAlte, I will check it in EVO.
Do you have the address/phone no?
Old 28th July 2009, 11:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

I PMed blueraven, and plan to visit him this week
Old 28th July 2009, 18:36   #15
BHPian

Default SONY Head Unit Query

CAR: SPARK Music Edition
MUSIC SYSTEM:
WX-GT77UI

QUERY:

I dont know if you would have a simple fix for this, but i am having a problem with my stereo in SPARK !! I got this awesome 14k stereo free from the company with 4 cup speakers (all sony xplod) as part of d MUSIC edition. As the speakers were sad, i replaced the rear speakers with JBL speakers - (400 watts).. Now i knw the output of a JBL, and the one i am gettng is not even close to it... like eveything is crystal clear and much better then the previous pioneer in my swift, but there is simply no BASS to any song... initially i thot its a speakers problem, but then just while doing random chks - when i change the alignment to complete RIGHT or LEFT - the BASS comes back thundering into the car - amazing effect. But when i centre align the speakers, it again goes back to high treble and no bass.... I hav removed all filters,, changed 3 band equalizer settings , LOUD is on, even spoke to SONY call centre which confirmed that the settings were proper,, i even tried a master reset for settings...no use !!

So is the SYSTEM output at fault ?? if it was wiring fault - than it wud not align to front / back /right / left .... Or is it sum settings..

I am absolutely new to bangalore, so dnt knw any JC Road shop that i should show this without getting ripped off !!
salunkhe.vizz is offline   Reply With Quote