Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 23rd June 2005, 18:01   #1

Default Optra Music System

Hi,

Just bought an Optra 1.6 Base on Friday last, the dealer put me onto a audio dealer and he sold me the double din Pioneer FH -P5000MP and screwed up the fittment.

As the system wouldn't fit into the slot exactly and had gaps all around...anyway will cut the story short in my rage asked him to stop and didn't fix the speakers.

Had asked for a JBL 6X9 coaxial three way at the rear and hadn't yet decided on what components at the front.

Now can anybody tell me what would be a good speaker option without having to disturb the cars original fitment. For the rear speakers the board has to be changed and after my experience with the HU wasn't too keep on experimenting further.

Would prefer a comp in the front and a coaxial at the back.

Not sure if the forum allows me to mention the dealer..this is in Bangalore and the prices that he gave me where also weird and as the dealer referred him didn't double check.

Thanks Team BHP
Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 18:05   #2

Also would appreciate if anybody could refer a good dealer where i could reliably get this done...if that is not asking for too much
Old 23rd June 2005, 18:15   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta
Not sure if the forum allows me to mention the dealer..this is in Bangalore and the prices that he gave me where also weird and as the dealer referred him didn't double check.
There is no such rule that you cannot mention dealer's name. In fact we need to know that in case you (or anybody for that matter) facing some problems.

You don't need to cut the rear shelf and my strong suggestion would be against it. If you're planning for amp then good door speakers should be more than enough. Let us know your plan.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 18:27   #4

Default Optra Upholstery

Hi Team BHP..

Bought a black Optra 1.6 base with beige interiors.

Wanted to check if anybody could advise if i could go in for Art Leather for the seats and door pads and what would be the draw back if i do that...have small kids who mess up the car all the time.

Checked the leather from Stanley and is out of my budget....

Checked the art leather from G sport, looks decent..

any suggestions on this front would be appreciated...

Thanks
Old 23rd June 2005, 18:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if the forum allows me to mention the dealer
It's better to mention it here, so that we save fellow bhp'ians getting into that trap.

I had a very bad experience while fitting accessories for my car. My friend took me to a shop where he had fitted the music system, Speakers and Sun Control film. He quoted some price and my friend negotiated with him. He did not give any discount to us. I put it flat saying " If iam the purchaser, I would take 2-3 days to finalize the deal making sure that you offer better quality products at better rates". At least for the sake of cutting down the purchase process, I requested the vendor to explore the possibilities of some discount. He firmly rejected the proposal & added that even we could check wherever we want. We left the vehicle for fitment & went to a nearby hotel.

On our way back from Hotel, my friend walked into another shop where steering covers were in display. The shopkeeper just started to show us the music system and other accessories. My friend asked for a quote for the items we ordered in the other shop.

I was shocked that there is a huge price difference between two & this guy offered me bill and one year warranty for a lesser price. After making sure it was an apple-to-apple comparison, I went to the first shop & just said the guy to refit the entire things. I politely showed him the quote of the other vendor, he tried to convince me. But found out he was talking rubbish. I never paid single paise & took the vehicle to the next vendor and got it fixed.

PS: I do not remember the name of both the vendors
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 18:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

G Sport is pretty good..they've got a wide range of colors and combinations too, u'll have pleanty to choose from
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2005, 19:12   #7

any suggestions for a black car with beige interiors for the color scheme for the leather that would look good...would a single color (Sand) look good or a combination of Black with Sand...anybody with an eye for design...
Old 24th June 2005, 08:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Checked the leather from Stanley and is out of my budget....

Checked the art leather from G sport, looks decent..
Delta / others,

How much would the leather seats + door panels from Stanley cost? Could you give me a ballpark figure? And how much from G-Sport?

Thanks!
johnjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2005, 10:33   #9
BHPian

For beige interiors you could make the sides of the seat cover beige and make the centre in some other color. Red would look good. But this "sand" color will be difficult to maintain. It gets dirty easily.

Regarding costs, it will cost around 6.5k to 7k for gsport. This covers two tone custom fit art leather seat covers, two tone steering whel cover, gear knob boot, door pad upholstery. This may vary slightly from car to car also.

Better to enquire at a few places before deciding. Also ensure you get the custom fit covers. It takes about 4-5 hours for them to fix everything but at the end the outcome is very good.
Harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2005, 12:29   #10

Stanley if you go for leather i.e. including steering wheel and gear knob and use leather only where there is body contact works out to 27,000/- for a mid range leather if you want the high end and all leather with out any other material for mid range is 32 and high end is 42.

G sport is the brand manufactured by coverkraft on bannerghatta road art leather for door pads and seats cost about 9.

Hope this helps...
Old 25th June 2005, 11:49   #11
Team-BHP Support

for the front components I would consider Alpine, JBL and Blau. there are others but they are either in a different price range (Vifa, Focal, MB Quart, Boston, ADS etc..) or I hav enot heard them at length (Pio, Sony, etc.).

For teh 6x9 rear (since you want 6x9 rear) I have liked teh Alpine 690A over most others i have heard.

Speakers esp. are a matter of taste. try to listen before you buy.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2005, 12:26   #12

Got the art leather cover done at coverkraft, pretty decent job for 9k that is seats and door pads. Got a beige or sand color along with tan for the headrest and the seat sides. Looks ok.

Was planning to shift by Blau comp from my corsa to the oprta and looks like i cannot fix the tweeters in the optra without buying the tweeter set from the dealer and trowing away the original tweeter cost about Rs.3000/- for all four doors..any suggestions..

Decided not to disturn the rear board on the car and stick to comp in the front and rear, the dealer suggested JBL or Blau for the front for aound 6.5k and decided the move the blau comp on my corsa front to the rear on the optra..do i need a amp to drive these two comp speakers i mean front and rear...have a pioneer HU FHP5000MP
Old 27th June 2005, 16:23   #13
Team-BHP Support

having not seen the optra install i cant say about the tweeter not fitting. the corsa (my wife drives a sail) tweeter pod is quite cramped too so i would have guessed the same tweeter would have fit.

Most HUs cannot really deliver a lot of power (usually about 10W rms at 4 ohms at < 0.1% distortion 20Hz - 20kHz). Power ratings without the impedance, distortion, and freq. resp. figures are close to useless. Even a small amp like Sony's 504 (about 5K) would help.
Old 7th July 2005, 21:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
having not seen the optra install i cant say about the tweeter not fitting. the corsa (my wife drives a sail) tweeter pod is quite cramped too so i would have guessed the same tweeter would have fit.

Most HUs cannot really deliver a lot of power (usually about 10W rms at 4 ohms at < 0.1% distortion 20Hz - 20kHz). Power ratings without the impedance, distortion, and freq. resp. figures are close to useless. Even a small amp like Sony's 504 (about 5K) would help.
Thanks Navin for all the expert advise...needed one last bit of advise..

Got Boston Comp for the front and moved by blau comp from my corsa to the rear of the Optra.

Wanted to get an amp and the dealer said that the sony amp wouldn't suffice as it doesn't have any cross over settings. He said the sony amp would be good for a co-axial speaker if it were there in the rear and would support a sub, but not advisable for a all comp speaker setup...is this true.

Also he suggested a JBL 4 channel amp for about 10k....
Old 8th July 2005, 09:23   #15
Team-BHP Support

huh? your components come with their own passive crossovers us e can use them.

if you are intending to go active where each driver (each woofer and each tweeter) has it's own power amp (a 4 channel power amp will then only manage 2 speakers) then you need these crossover settings.