Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2009, 09:58   #136
Senior - BHPian
 
Ajaybiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,354
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Frank someone is getting that amp for you or shipped via some courier company and how much is the shipping.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 10:51   #137
BHPian
 
Flying Bong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 271
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

This setup is getting more interesting by the day! Having used the Alpine SPX-177R, I am interested to know how the X-Pros will compare....
Flying Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 18:47   #138
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,866
Thanked: 2,229 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Frank someone is getting that amp for you or shipped via some courier company and how much is the shipping.
I am having that amp shipped from USA. OFFICIALLY, with duty and all ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Bong View Post
This setup is getting more interesting by the day! Having used the Alpine SPX-177R, I am interested to know how the X-Pros will compare....
This is a totally different set. The midbass is different, and so is the tweeter (by a long way)
I am dying to hear it myself, too!
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 19:21   #139
BHPian
 
DocG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai - Singapore - Cali - Sydney - S.Korea
Posts: 870
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
JK, MY BAD. SOrry man. I thought it was 120*2.
Just checked out the DLS site, and it says 130*2 @ 13.8V
and more than ~140*2 @ 14.4v


DLS - Products

Number of channels 2
Amplifier class AB
Output power in 4 ohm 2 x 130 W
Output power in 2 ohm 2 x 200 W
Mono bridge mode 4 ohm 440 W
Damping factor > 200
S/N ratio, A-weighted > 100 dB
Frequency range 10 Hz - 50 kHz
Input sensitivity 0,2 - 7 V
Input impedance > 10 kohm
Input impedance, high level 330 ohm
High pass filter 20 - 150 Hz
Low pass filter 40 - 125 Hz
Grand bass filter 0-18 dB @ 40 Hz
Low level output No
High level input with auto start Yes
Power consumption (idle) 0,6 A
Power consumption (max) 50 A
Rec. power cable Minimum 4AWG / 21 mm2
Fuses 2 x 25 A
Dimension (W x D x H) 359 x 245 x 59 mm (14,1 x 9,65 x 2,33 inch)
Weight 3,8 kg ( 8,4 lb)
Dude Franky when are you gonna bring the fiesta to DY? You've been postponing it for a while now. My car's back from Honda A.S.S. too, so no more corolla.

Anyways about your ICE, you'll probably be getting around 150 watts per channel from the RA-20. I've personally seen that these things are BEASTS and they produce quite a bit more than their ratings at 14.X volts. (This is from extensive research including calling up Sweden a few times. Not tested this myself)

Also the Alpines were on my wish list before I went the DLS way, and they are just awesome for the price. I thought that scanspeak made the drivers etc for the Alpine X Pro.

Oh and if you really wanna feed the Alpines more power, you're welcome to borrow one of my Ultimate A3s
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 19:37   #140
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,678
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
For someone who is used to listening to demanding music at 'higher than normal' volumes (and still get a good response from the speakers) will cringe at the thought of music playing from stock ICE.
We cant expect magic from a set of chinese low profile speakers. Btw, could you just tell me what are the size profiles of the stock areas (rear, door and pillar speaker space). As you are doing a professional ICING, I should atleast remove the chinese and put some good quality speakers (probably Pioneer or JBL). Anyone has some idea about the output options from the stock HU ? I also heard about Soomoku sub woofer with built-in Amp. No clue if the stock HU has provisions for it. Help Help Help.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 20:08   #141
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
I thought that scanspeak made the drivers etc for the Alpine X Pro.
I myself thinking of upgrading to some thing different. Like Illuminator. If budget permits.

Name:  18WU_full size rear.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  161.1 KB

Note :- I am not commercially involved in the above said brand it is just I love Audio.

Frank sorry for off-topic stuff.

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 1st September 2009 at 20:11.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 20:24   #142
BHPian
 
zucchero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: faridabad/rourkela
Posts: 250
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

congrats franky.those alpines sure look promising

Last edited by zucchero : 1st September 2009 at 20:26.
zucchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 21:18   #143
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,502
Thanked: 3,880 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I didn't have so much knowledge about these things sir! Thanks again, for the nth time for that titbit. Will be interesting to read about J 1 and J 2 tonight. Also about the phase plug.
well I know even less about dentistry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
This is Just for the info. I had checked out the manual. It says that the midbass have power rating of 75RMS with tweeter having the rating of 20RMS.
Thermal ratings are only guidelines. Please note that there are many other factors that determine the ammount of power a driver can safely handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I myself thinking of upgrading to some thing different. Like Illuminator.
LBM dont do it. The Illuminator is not VFM I think it is good but overrated just like many of them 1st & 2nd gen ring radiators. The Illuminator tweeters are good the woofer are not as good as the tweeter is.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 22:35   #144
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,866
Thanked: 2,229 Times
Default

Quote:
Dude Franky when are you gonna bring the fiesta to DY? You've been postponing it for a while now. My car's back from Honda A.S.S. too, so no more corolla.
Nice to hear that. I will be wanting to see (hear) that car very soon. BY ORDER. As for my car, if you've waited so much, then wait a couple of weeks more. Till the ICE is in mate.

Quote:
Anyways about your ICE, you'll probably be getting around 150 watts per channel from the RA-20. I've personally seen that these things are BEASTS and they produce quite a bit more than their ratings at 14.X volts. (This is from extensive research including calling up Sweden a few times. Not tested this myself)
happy to hear so many new (and mostly, good) things about this amp. it's a gem, and there's no disputing that.

Quote:
Also the Alpines were on my wish list before I went the DLS way, and they are just awesome for the price. I thought that scanspeak made the drivers etc for the Alpine X Pro.
Your DLS'es are going to have burnt in by now. Must be sounding SWEET right?
The tweeter is a VIfa XT25 derivative. And the mids are Scanspeak trickle throughs (a word i learnt from someone, earlier in this thread )
Quote:
Oh and if you really wanna feed the Alpines more power, you're welcome to borrow one of my Ultimate A3s
I doubt there will be any difference in sound, providing any more power, since we are playing passive now. The Xover might just get strained. That's it. The music will sound as good @ 140 odd WRMS that it will, @ say 180 WRMS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
We cant expect magic from a set of chinese low profile speakers. Btw, could you just tell me what are the size profiles of the stock areas (rear, door and pillar speaker space). As you are doing a professional ICING, I should atleast remove the chinese and put some good quality speakers (probably Pioneer or JBL). Anyone has some idea about the output options from the stock HU ? I also heard about Soomoku sub woofer with built-in Amp. No clue if the stock HU has provisions for it. Help Help Help.
True. FoMoCo speakers can only play as much as their potential. I am sure they are playing to their full potential, since manufacturers do not leave a single drop of performance for us to wriggle out, anyways.

As for the speakers, I would suggest listening to a few brands in a particular price range and then deciding. The adage (highly abused all over the world, when it comes to sound) is, "One man's food, another man's poison," applies here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I myself thinking of upgrading to some thing different. Like Illuminator. If budget permits.

Attachment 183819

Note :- I am not commercially involved in the above said brand it is just I love Audio.

Frank sorry for off-topic stuff.
O jee. Le lo. Scan karo, speak karo. Lagaa ke dance karo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zucchero View Post
congrats franky.those alpines sure look promising
thank you sir. suno, to jaano
Quote:
well I know even less about dentistry.
knowing your penchant for everything technical, I would doubt even that statement :-0


Quote:
Thermal ratings are only guidelines. Please note that there are many other factors that determine the ammount of power a driver can safely handle.
very true. talking about watts is like making the entire process so technical and mechanical! It's music! Better listened and enjoyed rather than calculated and recalculated!


Quote:
LBM dont do it. The Illuminator is not VFM I think it is good but overrated just like many of them 1st & 2nd gen ring radiators. The Illuminator tweeters are good the woofer are not as good as the tweeter is.
What about the revelators???
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 00:11   #145
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Quote:
What about the revelators???
They are one of the best midwoofer drivers made by ScanSpeak until now, very clean on mids and with deep midbass, a good well balance driver. The 18W and 15W are both great sounding drivers. 18W comes with the Fs of 33hz something that I haven't come across any other driver in it's size especially for a Midbass woofer, an be crossed well down to 50hz with 24db octave slope and with the QTS of .35 could work really well in kickpanel enclosure. But, works great in doors as well. These are definitely on wish list for next upgrade along with DynAudio Esotar2 650 and the Morel Supremo.

Here's some video on Scanspeak 15W and Morel Supremo.




Last edited by Invinsible : 2nd September 2009 at 00:13.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 10:26   #146
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 294 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
LBM dont do it. The Illuminator is not VFM I think it is good but overrated just like many of them 1st & 2nd gen ring radiators. The Illuminator tweeters are good the woofer are not as good as the tweeter is.
Hmm Navin Ji then it will be a interesting project. I will be getting the Illuminator along with the Revelators. Will be trying differnet option and see what comes out finally.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 10:35   #147
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,876 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
... This is from extensive research including calling up Sweden a few times ...
Oh really? Whom did you speak to and where? I had a couple of questions myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I myself thinking of upgrading to some thing different. ...
You and DantaChikitsak are giving everyone inferiority complex!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
... O jee. Le lo. Scan karo, speak karo. Lagaa ke dance karo! ...
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 12:24   #148
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,502
Thanked: 3,880 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
The tweeter is a VIfa XT25 derivative.

knowing your penchant for everything technical, I would doubt even that statement :-0

What about the revelators???
Frank have you heard any ring radiator. Not that all ring radiators sound bad but they all have a distinctive radiation pattern. I have not heard the Alpine ring radiator so I will not judge something I have not heard but I was not happy with the Vifa RRs that I heard. SS's RR were better behaved. I dont know if the Vifa RR I heard was the XT. Zaph and Troels both speak highly of the XT on their websites.

As far as things technical I have a weak stomach for blood so anything medical is out for me. However the mechanics of caps and bridges I understand well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Hmm Navin Ji then it will be a interesting project. I will be getting the Illuminator along with the Revelators. Will be trying differnet option and see what comes out finally.
Get the 15W/18W8531 woofer and 6600 tweeter. However this is for home audio right?
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 13:07   #149
BHPian
 
zucchero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: faridabad/rourkela
Posts: 250
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I will be getting the Illuminator along with the Revelators. Will be trying differnet option and see what comes out finally.
lbm i am about to place an order for SS R2904 revelator tweeters and 18W midbass.let me know if you want them too.
zucchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 14:49   #150
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,744
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Anyways about your ICE, you'll probably be getting around 150 watts per channel from the RA-20. I've personally seen that these things are BEASTS and they produce quite a bit more than their ratings at 14.X volts. (This is from extensive research including calling up Sweden a few times. Not tested this myself)
Here's another bit you could probably do extensive research on. Try and find one stereo amplifier at a price point upwards of half the DLS list price that will NOT show the same increase in power in different circumstances from those used for rated power.

In simpler terms, find any 2-ch amp priced at $375 upwards which is rated at say, X W rms per channel @ 4 ohms/ 13~ V, and does not deliver 1.15X W rms when pushed.

Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finalized Audio for Swift VDi Prabhu In-Car Entertainment 4 16th August 2009 13:08
A-star or Spark? EDIT - Finalized Spark ritz830 Hatchbacks 67 18th July 2009 09:17
spark or palio for 3.3 lakhs? Edit - Finalized Spark ritz830 Hatchbacks 37 13th December 2008 16:12
Finalized Swift: How useful are Rear Sensors? lambuhere1 Hatchbacks 3 12th July 2007 22:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks