Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 30th August 2009, 16:31   #106
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Frank.
Now when is the DLS RA20 being replaced by a 4 channel
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 16:51   #107
BHPian

Congrats Frank !! look real good, sure you kept us guessing.
DjNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 17:20   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Those are not phase plugs Frank. Those are Phase Link Modules. Phase plug is on the midbass.
sorry. my bad. am still a noob. what exactly IS a phase plug in the midbass??

Quote:
I think Peerless V line is same as XT25 ? Not sure
now this I am not sure of, but considering that Tymphany makes all these products, some amount of sharing of components might just be possible.

Quote:
Also i might be wrong but i read somewhere that Alpine makes in midbass in 6" size as per Japanese ISO standards
technically, if you think about it, this will be better for me. Since my door grille is small, I might just have the midbass fit even better! But i really don't know about this. In all the research that I did for this set, there was no mention of this being a 6 incher, rather than a 6.5/6.75 incher like
conventional mids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Congrats Frank.
Now when is the DLS RA20 being replaced by a 4 channel
the DLS is like the holy grail (for me). I don't see a point upgrading to a 4 channel. Since the crossover that comes with the X type allows MUCH more variation, even more than the number of variations one could have, while going active. I would say, the DLS will be there, till something better comes up, or there is a better amplifier in the reckoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjNik View Post
Congrats Frank !! look real good, sure you kept us guessing.
hehe. thanks a lot. I would have loved to have thrown more clues (hence more facts) but nonetheless, I will share all the information I have about them as I remember.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 18:30   #109
BHPian

Congratulations Frank, for yet another upgrade! SPX-17Pro, that would be my most likely choice too, had I spent more that 10K (in Rupees, $200) on components. (but as you know, I reduced it to $150 )
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 18:36   #110
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Santosh.

Abhibh. You were right. Indeed, the front of the Alpine midbasses are 6 1/8 in diameter. I can't believe this. LOL. There are many manufacturers who manufacture midbasses of this spec, but refrain from labelling them likewise to avoid confusion among the rest!
Old 30th August 2009, 20:07   #111
BHPian

Congrats Frank! The Alpines look amazing and I wonder why not many components at this price point offer so many possibilities with their crossover! Btw, we need to exchange some PMs about your future upgrade roadmap! :P
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 23:38   #112
Senior - BHPian

Thank you greenhOrn. I would love to discuss my upgrade roadmap with you. LOL. I have a set of Luccent components that are lying unused right now ;0
Old 31st August 2009, 00:11   #113
BHPian

Seriously, if I had the money, it would be on its way to your bank account right now, and your Luccents would be on their way to my house!! Maybe next time, when the time comes for you to upgrade your Alpines...to HLCDs maybe
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 00:13   #114
Senior - BHPian

Oh, mind you. I had HLCDs my mind this time. Thought about them twice, but decided to give them a skip due to the numerous difficulties one has while installing them. They are HUGE. And placement is almost always a bog down when it comes to Horns
Old 31st August 2009, 02:14   #115
Senior - BHPian

Congratulation! Frank. Good choice, now I can't wait to see all the equipment come together and audition it and to know what difference it makes over the Luccent.

Am sure the ring tweeter would play a very important role. So how do you plan to install them on-axis or off? I say try both before decide on anything. With these I would say on-axis would be an appropriate choice. What's the xover point on those passive xover for the midbass and tweeter..any idea? Talking about tweeters Dyns, Morel's piccolo, ScanSpeak's Ring Radiator and the first XBL^2 CeraDome Tweeter by ADI are some of the best one could buy for Mobile Audio.

Adding another 2 channel and going active will be a good choice with them for the future.

As for the horns, looking at the complication that's a wise decision to drop the idea for now. I know you were keen on the horns. But, than again the only horns I would suggest or myself for would be these Welcome to SpeakerWorks/USD Audio

When is Clarion amp expected ?

Last edited by Invinsible : 31st August 2009 at 02:29.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 07:54   #116
BHPian

Frank, congrats. Had the good fortun to hear the same set of speakers installed in a car last week. With whatever other equipment it had, it sounded amazing!

OT but had to mention it here... saw the speakers being installed in a Corolla Altis last week. Owner was very specific he wanted only "ALLPHINES" in his car... Budget was 2L. So in went a Alpine touch screen HU, SPX components, one set of 5*7 components (????), 10" sub and a mono.

And guess what the owner plays in his car???

"Kandha Shasti Kavasam" and "MGR Hits" on MP3 cds purchased for 30 bucks!!!

Harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 08:48   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Congratulation! Frank. Good choice, now I can't wait to see all the equipment come together and audition it and to know what difference it makes over the Luccent.

Am sure the ring tweeter would play a very important role. So how do you plan to install them on-axis or off? I say try both before decide on anything. With these I would say on-axis would be an appropriate choice. What's the xover point on those passive xover for the midbass and tweeter..any idea? Talking about tweeters Dyns, Morel's piccolo, ScanSpeak's Ring Radiator and the first XBL^2 CeraDome Tweeter by ADI are some of the best one could buy for Mobile Audio.

Adding another 2 channel and going active will be a good choice with them for the future.

As for the horns, looking at the complication that's a wise decision to drop the idea for now. I know you were keen on the horns. But, than again the only horns I would suggest or myself for would be these Welcome to SpeakerWorks/USD Audio

When is Clarion amp expected ?
Hi mate. I will install the tweeters on axis. This time, even the mids will be on axis, much higher than conventional. So it might sound better!
There is anyway no need to go active mate, the xovers can be bi-amped. Also, the xovers have more settings than the inbuilt xover in the Eclipse. More like time alignment from the xovers itself.
No horns mate. And if horns, the illusions. absolutely
Clarion amp comin this week. I will update the thread as I get it.. With mandatory unboxing pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie View Post
Frank, congrats. Had the good fortun to hear the same set of speakers installed in a car last week. With whatever other equipment it had, it sounded amazing!

OT but had to mention it here... saw the speakers being installed in a Corolla Altis last week. Owner was very specific he wanted only "ALLPHINES" in his car... Budget was 2L. So in went a Alpine touch screen HU, SPX components, one set of 5*7 components (????), 10" sub and a mono.

And guess what the owner plays in his car???

Lol.. I am dying to listen to the system.
Old 31st August 2009, 09:47   #118
Senior - BHPian

Didnt get this line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie View Post

Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 09:50   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
... Indeed, the front of the Alpine midbasses are 6 1/8 in diameter. ...
Congratulations, DrFrankBhaiMehta!

Which dimension is 6-1/8"? Mounting circle diameter? Outer dia of the circular frame (not reckoning with mounting tabs)? Max.outer dia of mounting tabs? Outer dia of surround?
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 10:17   #120
Senior - BHPian

Way to go Frank. Everything looks perfect. I am aware xover do have more setting as to how you place them on or off-axis. But the only reason I see to go active, one to have flexibility the TA individually on them along with the gain and xover points, second to give them more power as the midbass would really shine with it, passiver xover/caps seems to rob litjtle power off.
Nevertheless, am sure the passive setup will really shine with the RA20. Just waiting for THE day to see it all wired up.

One question how do you plan to install the midbass on-axis. I suppose you intend to have them in Door stock mount location??

Last edited by Invinsible : 31st August 2009 at 10:29.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote