Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2005, 18:03   #2431
BHPian
 
Shrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Noida
Posts: 38
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

One more thing , he offered me a Wiring kit(don't know the make) for Rs.1600/=
Now question is when JBL speakers come with wiring why at all we need full kit, we should pay only for the power cables(i.e from Battery to Amp) and RCA cables (from HU to Amp)
correct me if i 'm wrong. Do i need to go for that kit?
Shrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2005, 19:40   #2432
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 27 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrey
One more thing , he offered me a Wiring kit(don't know the make) for Rs.1600/=
Now question is when JBL speakers come with wiring why at all we need full kit, we should pay only for the power cables(i.e from Battery to Amp) and RCA cables (from HU to Amp)
correct me if i 'm wrong. Do i need to go for that kit?
i think the wiring kit that the guy offered must be the power kit only which has a fuse box,the power cables(+ ve and ground) and also the remote wire..so yes u would need it..and you also will have to buy the RCA cables..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2005, 10:39   #2433
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,985
Thanked: 1,366 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrey
One more thing , he offered me a Wiring kit(don't know the make) for Rs.1600/=
Now question is when JBL speakers come with wiring why at all we need full kit, we should pay only for the power cables(i.e from Battery to Amp) and RCA cables (from HU to Amp)
correct me if i 'm wrong. Do i need to go for that kit?
JBL Speakers do come with wire, but regular, ok-types wire. I do not recomend this for any high fidelity usage (With amplifiers etc)

The "Original" JBL wire kit (Called Subcon kit) comes with a Power cable, Earthing cable, P-connect/remote blue wire, a length of nice speaker wire and a good quality RCA cable (which , I suspect, is made by monster cable for JBL)
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2005, 11:56   #2434
BHPian
 
Shrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Noida
Posts: 38
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

what is a P-connect / remote wire ?
Shrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2005, 15:46   #2435
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,985
Thanked: 1,366 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrey
what is a P-connect / remote wire ?

Any Car Amplifier has 3 power connections. a RED battery connection, a BLACK earthing/grounding connection and a BLUE turn-on connection.

The BLUER turn on connection has little or no current draw, it is just (as the name suggests) used to turn the amp on, or off.
When a 12V signal is applied to this wire, the amp is on, when the 12V is removed, the amp is off.
All head units have a p-connect/remote wire, (Naturally, blue in colour) that gives out the triggering 12V output when the HU is on.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2005, 02:49   #2436
Senior - BHPian
 
revtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,987
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

what can i do to prevent my front door from vibrating.i have the jbl 426 installed and at times when the bass i high it vibrates a lot and causes a jarring sound something like brrrhh..(hahah) after every beat .so what can i do to eliminate or lessen that.


Rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2005, 10:06   #2437
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,963
Thanked: 3,504 Times
Default

Dynamat is one option.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2005, 13:23   #2438
Team-BHP Support
 
moralfibre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MH-12
Posts: 6,435
Thanked: 5,666 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Dynamat is one option.
What could be the other options?
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2005, 13:24   #2439
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,985
Thanked: 1,366 Times
Default

to cut the bass from the GTO426e, using a passive or active crossover
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 16:20   #2440
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,985
Thanked: 1,366 Times
Default

To further elaborate on that: It would be possible to connect, or use the active crossover ONLY in a speaker with an external amplifier. (Certain HU's also have a HPF feature which can be used even if the speakers are directly connected to the amplifier)

In case the speakers are running in parallel with another set of speakers that are full range and it is not possible to go to HPF mode, then a passive crossover can be made, a simple one using some non-polar (hehheh heh Navin, remember the fiasco?) capacitors, or 2 polar, electrolytic capacitors, back to back. Sorry if that sounded confusing, it's not. Let me know how the 426e's are connected and i will help.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 16:31   #2441
BHPian
 
AvinashKeezh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 226
Thanked: 5 Times
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
... active crossover ONLY in a speaker with an external amplifier. (Certain HU's also have a HPF feature which can be used even if the speakers are directly connected to the amplifier)....
sam/ navin/JB,
what exactly is the usage of the HPF and the LPF?
how would we make use of this option (by selecting the different frequencies, of course, but how to know which freq to select)?
could someone please clarify on this?
thanks,
ak
AvinashKeezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 16:41   #2442
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,985
Thanked: 1,366 Times
Default

hey AK.

I'm not going to google this lol.

HPF: High pass filter. Allows high frequencies to pass, blocks bass (low frequencies)
When you use a smaller speaker that either cannot reproduce bass, or a cone that sort of distorts at low frequencies, you engage an HPF.
For example, i find that 4" co-axial speakers on the dashboard, are able to handle mids and highs better when you cut them off at about 60-70Hz. (This is merely an example, not a rule)

LPF: Low pass filter. Obviously, the exact opposite. Allows the bass (low frequencies) to go thru, and blocks the higher frequencies.
Always used when driving a subwoofer. Basically the subwoofer focusses on low frequencies, (say for example 80Hz and below, again, merely an example, not a rule)

Usage: If it were me, and I was using 2 speakers and a 12" subwoofer. I would normally cut the subwoofer off at about 80Hz (means i would engage the LPF on the sub channel)

I would then cut the speakers off at the same frequency, meaning use the HPF at 80Hz, thereby allowing the speakers to handle everything else that the sub is not handling.

None of this is Fixed, hard and fast. Most of it is best played by your ears and the ears of an experienced installer.
For example, when using a nice speaker, (like a 6X9) i find that some people prefer to run it in full range (no filters used) and boost the lows by using a subwoofer with an LPF. The result, though not technically correct, SOUNDS good to some folks, so is perfectly acceptable.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 17:38   #2443
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 567
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

@Sam:

Walk in Customers:

Delhi - Tutor. (a teacher?)
Bangalore - Chilling sound.(horror music?)

They both wanted treble. Sigh.

LOL stuff !

So true and both words( tutor and chilling sound) belong to bangalore only!

All A/V recievers will use Hotel California Song only as their playing material and turn the volume to the maximum so that you get deaf! ( Is it the same now?)


Sam, i have a question if i get an Alpine HU from say Japan or the US, will it be any better..quality wise and will i get the international warranty.

Last edited by muni : 21st November 2005 at 17:40.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 18:11   #2444
BHPian
 
AvinashKeezh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 226
Thanked: 5 Times
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
hey AK.
HPF: High pass filter. Allows high frequencies to pass, blocks bass (low frequencies)
When you use a smaller speaker that either cannot reproduce bass, or a cone that sort of distorts at low frequencies, you engage an HPF.
For example, i find that 4" co-axial speakers on the dashboard, are able to handle mids and highs better when you cut them off at about 60-70Hz. (This is merely an example, not a rule)

LPF: Low pass filter. Obviously, the exact opposite. Allows the bass (low frequencies) to go thru, and blocks the higher frequencies.
Always used when driving a subwoofer. Basically the subwoofer focusses on low frequencies, (say for example 80Hz and below, again, merely an example, not a rule)

Usage: If it were me, and I was using 2 speakers and a 12" subwoofer. I would normally cut the subwoofer off at about 80Hz (means i would engage the LPF on the sub channel)

I would then cut the speakers off at the same frequency, meaning use the HPF at 80Hz, thereby allowing the speakers to handle everything else that the sub is not handling.

None of this is Fixed, hard and fast. Most of it is best played by your ears and the ears of an experienced installer.
For example, when using a nice speaker, (like a 6X9) i find that some people prefer to run it in full range (no filters used) and boost the lows by using a subwoofer with an LPF. The result, though not technically correct, SOUNDS good to some folks, so is perfectly acceptable.
thanks a ton sam,
precise and to the point.
hope i put it to good use with my set of sensors (ears i meant ).
ak
AvinashKeezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2005, 02:35   #2445
Senior - BHPian
 
revtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,987
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

hey sam

sorry for the late reply...the 426 are directly connected to the HU and so are the 936...no amp as of now and my Hu doesn have a HPF

how is the pioneer 5650 and approx price. ??


Rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
sub enclosure advice from audio gurus clipto333 In-Car Entertainment 22 4th January 2007 11:29
Please Read This Thread *Before* Posting in the "What Car?" Section adya33 What Car? 0 12th July 2006 19:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks