Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 25th November 2006, 12:53   #4696
Senior - BHPian

Mustangman,
2 tweeters on the front door, hidden behind the wing mirror adjustment stalk.
2 Front Speakers = 2 speakers on the bottom of the front doors. You can fix upto 6.5" with spacers, or without spacers, but with a little tapping with a rubber mallet. 5.25" or 6" will go in without mods.
2 Rear speakers = On the stock plastic pods with grilles behind the rear seat. Fits a 5.25" without mods. I've seen 6.5" and even 6x9s fitted with spacer-like long screws.

Suggestions:
Front Speakers (+ tweeter, as these are component speakers): JBL CS2165C or Hertz DSK130.
[If you'd prefer co-axials (and save money and installation effort at the cost of a little sound quality), go for JBL CS2165 or Hertz DCX130 or Hertz DCX165]
Rear Speakers: JBL CS2165 or Hertz DCX130 or Hertz DCX165 - all coaxials. (A little modding/spacer screws will be needed for the CS2165 and the DCX165 as they are 6.5").
HU: Pio 2850 with B&W should do you, if you're not looking for features. If you are adding a sub + amp later, go for the Pio 3850.

Fitting speakers on an MDF tray in the rear will not be a major mod, and you can get it done rattle-free without much trouble. You can use 6x9s if you use an MDF tray. But if you will add a sub + amp later, a 5.25" co-axial in the stock rear pod will be enough.

This set-up (without the tray) should keep you within budget, and will give you good sound (esp. if you choose the components for the front).
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 11:07   #4697
BHPian

Thanks Hydrashok.
I will look into your suggestions.

Pio 3850 - to be safe

Front - JBL CS2165C - will check if the installer can do a good job. Has anyone done this already in their Palio? Installation tips please!

Rear - will get cheaper speakers, want to keep sound stage infront and usually only two people upfront.

Amp-Woofer - later if required (hence the 3850)
Sounds ok?

BTW can I run a RCA to 3.5mm cable from a MP3 player to the rear aux in of a HU? Will it work?

Last edited by MustangMan : 27th November 2006 at 11:08. Reason: mistake
MustangMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 11:22   #4698
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan View Post
Front - JBL CS2165C - will check if the installer can do a good job. Has anyone done this already in their Palio? Installation tips please!

Sounds ok?

BTW can I run a RCA to 3.5mm cable from a MP3 player to the rear aux in of a HU? Will it work?
No tips, should be a straight and easy fit. However, the palio has pods for the tweeter that strangely point away from the listener...

Sounds good.

Yes you can, the MP3 player will work perfectly.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2006, 11:53   #4699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sounds ok?
Sounds perfect!

Quote:
It will work. I'm using a similar setup myself for the time being. Make sure you get good quality cable. I'm using MX's premium series. 250/- bucks. Worth it.

Sam, the palio's (hidden) tweeter pods are strange :-)

And their retaining pin-like things break real easily if the installer is even just a little careless. And they can be replaced only in a pair (talking from experience - happened twice to me). 180/- if I'm not mistaken. Watch out, MustangMan!
Old 28th November 2006, 00:46   #4700
BHPian

Question good pair or 6*9s?!!!

ive got a kenwood mp 5029 head unit.. for the swift...

plannin to fix up 6*9s on the rear pad....

which make wud b the best ... boston?? jbl?? velocity?? alpine??

im thinkin of spendin around 5 k inluding the rear pad... wut do u suggest??

this is my first post in here.... hope to hear from u guys...

thankzzzzz in advance...
me_navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2006, 03:53   #4701
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Navin (hehehe, we have another Navin hehehehe)

What about front speakers? When will you get those?

All the brands you mentioned are pretty good, buy any that you can get easily and suits your budget. Make sure you buy from an authorised dealer.
If you have the luxury of listening to them, do so and buy the one that sounds best to you.

Cheers.
Old 28th November 2006, 08:09   #4702
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to T-BHP, Navin! Good to see more Kochi-ites on T-BHP.

I hope you're not planning to skip front speakers and fix rears only. That would be a bad idea. The priority should be front first, and rears next.

I would suggest you first install JBL CS2165C or Hertz DSK165 in the front (if you don't have speakers in the front). These are component speakers (Separate woofer & tweeter) and will run to 5K. [Is there an echo on this page somewhere? :-) ?] In any case, make sure you fit 6.5" speakers in front. If your budget is really tight and you want to fit rear speakers too, go for co-axials in front (slightly lesser sound quality): JBL CS2165 or Hertz DCX165. A little stretching of the budget should let you fix 6.5" or 6x9 co-axials in the back also.

If you already have speakers in front, and you want to install 6x9s in the back on a pad, go for JBL CS3196 or Hertz DCX690. The pad will cost between 700/- and 1000/-. The total should not run above 5k.

In Cochin, you can get the JBLs at AutoMart (near the Skoda showroom in Vyttila on the ByePass) and the Hertz at Emperor, Palarivattom (near Varkey's).

Velocitys will be good, but are likely to be out of your budget. (And they are not exactly VFM, especially if you don't plan to amp them). I'm not a fan of Alpine speakers myself. Never listened to Boston so...

It would be a really good idea to listen to the speakers before you buy them. You'll be sure of getting the sound you want. You can check Hertz & Alpine and Boston at Emperor (I don't think they carry JBL), drive to TyreRack (or something near EMC on the byepass) and listen to Boston (if Emperor doesn't have it), drive further for 3 more minutes and check out Blau & Velocity at the Blau showroom, drive a little more further and check-out JBL.
Old 28th November 2006, 08:42   #4703
Senior - BHPian

I want to change the orange buttons to green ones , does anyone know as to where to source them from ? Authorised Alpine Outlet in south India ? or Kerala ?
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2006, 08:51   #4704
Distinguished - BHPian

Well max, most of these HUs have an option at the menu mode to change from orange to gree. Stupid question, but have you read the book? Are you sure it does not have it?

If it doesn't, you will need to change the LED's beneath the switches.
Old 28th November 2006, 10:19   #4705
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Well max, most of these HUs have an option at the menu mode to change from orange to gree. Stupid question, but have you read the book? Are you sure it does not have it?

If it doesn't, you will need to change the LED's beneath the switches.
is that a 9845 ?
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2006, 22:12   #4706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
is that a 9845 ?
Yes Navin it is a CDE - 9845EM
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 13:26   #4707
Team-BHP Support

I dont think the 9845EM has interchangable lights.
Old 29th November 2006, 13:32   #4708
BHPian

Quote:
navin/sam

what about 9853 can that be changed from blue to orange cos our swift's climatronic display is orange. If yes please let me know how as i havent gone through the operational manual in detail.

http://www.rwcaraudio.nl/shop/images...853%20goed.jpg

muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2006, 15:51   #4709
Team-BHP Support

from alpine's website
[Display]
• 5 x 7 Dot Matrix LCD Display
• Multicolor Illumination (for 4 glassy knobs)
• Dual Illumination (for other buttons in (Red/Green)

Yes it does.
Old 29th November 2006, 16:00   #4710
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
basic alpine HU @ 10k.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote