Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2007, 09:01   #5311
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,180
Thanked: 268 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
Here is another Octy install, done by the same guy


Hi Kartik,

Who is the 'same guy' you are refering to with regard to the above setup?

Epic
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 09:07   #5312
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,180
Thanked: 268 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Exactly my point, Epic. If you visit a barber and tell him precisely how to cut your hair, you can't blame him if the result looks bad. I wish you had visited this forum earlier.

What should have actually happened is, the guys at the showroom (that's not Sahil International, just BTW) should have advised you against buying and installing the extra speakers in your car. I remember calling them and they said that you wanted the ovals. Anyways, like I said, they're a bunch of blundering baboons. Now. Not for long.

NVM, Epic, we're gonna sort you out, not to worry.
Totally agree with you Sam, but the barber can always advise against a haircut that will make you look silly or that is not recomended as per the structure of your hair and face? I can understand if a local barber screws up who i pay 30 bucks for a haircut, but i would definitely not expect a babrer form L'Oreal who i may pay 150 bucks for a haircut to screw up because i would expect him to be a trained professional.

Similarly, I definitely expected the JBL guys to advise me against installs that are not recomended.

Epic
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 09:32   #5313
Senior - BHPian
 
karthik247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: BLR, HYD
Posts: 2,708
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Can that small enclosure be good enough for that Kicker??
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 09:55   #5314
NIP
Senior - BHPian
 
NIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,146
Thanked: 77 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
Can that small enclosure be good enough for that Kicker??
i was wondering the same thing too...most skodas seem to have this sub setup...
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 12:30   #5315
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

@Epic. First you ask the gain to be set to full (so you get a filling sound in low volumes or so...) then you feel the bass is too much and the vocals, trebles gets overpowered by it.
Instead of setting the gains right, you ask the JBL guys to add 6X9s! And suddenly the sound improves a lot for you.
Still You're not satisfied with the setup. So you post it here and blame the JBL boys for screwing up!!

I'm not surprised. I've seen similar cases earlier too. They precisely give instructions to the dealer/installer on what to buy and install. They also insist and rub on their personal tastes/commands while tuning the setup. And later an amp blows up (luckily Epic was saved from that) or the setup starts sounding like a tin can with stones. Now, all the fury will be taken out on the installer and he will be blamed infinite times.

While doing an install it is always best to go to L'oreal kind of installer and leaving everything on his hands. And before you leave, discuss with him of what you expect your system to be sounding like. If we want to do blah blahs and guide the installer in every nook and corner, then it's better to go to a Rs30 kinda installer. But with such nice equipments, will someone take a chance? I won't.

But don't worry now. If You hold around a bit here, we all will be very happy to see you smiling with your setup.

And also, as You're an ardent Fan of our very own B&T, he can be put to good use too. He is into the wonderful world of ICE and drives one of the most distinguished Sierra in the world!
Oye Bass&Trouble_Makker!! Somebody needs you very urgently.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 13:34   #5316
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,742
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Dear Epic,

Like I told you when we met, I know Sam, and I know he's a very nice guy (make that a guy and a half, actually ), and like he has promised earlier he will definitely help you out. Immediately after we met, like I had told you, I had brought to Sam's notice some minor irregularities in your setup. Your main problem is not with the three pairs of speakers, it is more so with some other minor things like a small gap between the speaker frame and the cutout on the door etc. All of which can be easily sorted out. It is just a matter of Sam giving his neighbourhood JBL dealer an earful.

Let Sam do the yelling, and I'm sure you'll be listening to better music.

Good luck! Say hi to Abhyankar.

B&T aka Ajay Kamath
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 14:28   #5317
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,180
Thanked: 268 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
@Epic. First you ask the gain to be set to full (so you get a filling sound in low volumes or so...) then you feel the bass is too much and the vocals, trebles gets overpowered by it.
Instead of setting the gains right, you ask the JBL guys to add 6X9s! And suddenly the sound improves a lot for you............................................... .................................................. ..........And also, as You're an ardent Fan of our very own B&T, he can be put to good use too. He is into the wonderful world of ICE and drives one of the most distinguished Sierra in the world!
Oye Bass&Trouble_Makker!! Somebody needs you very urgently.
Hey Speedzak,

Yes i know its partly my fault for installing the 6X9s but then i would definitely like to be advised against a wrong setup or why should i invest so much i a JBL system?
Believe me, i used to drive an 800 before this and the system in that car, which consisted of just one 4-channel amp (Blaupunkt GTA 400), a pair of 5 way Pioneer Speakers, a pair of Pioneer Tweeters (TS-20) and one Pioneer dual 12" subwoofer sounded so much better than this system which has the works compared to what i had i the 800 and by the way was installed by the Rs. 30 kinda installer. I really feel bad that i sold that system, but not so bad as i sold it to a very good friend of mine (Abhyankar - B&T knows him too) who has installed it in his Ikon by the JBL guys only. So B&T should check that install out too.

Anyway, all said and done, im glad im here and i know for a fact now that you, B&T and the rest of the gang will help me out and i appreciate all the help and advice.

By the way, before i even got my car, i was system hunting and came across Digimax Audio at AC MArket at Tardeo who are the dealers for Rockford Fosgate. I was planning on goin in for that, but their basic system was costing me a lakh ten which was pretty out of my budget. I heard a set up in the owners (Mr. Porbunderwalla) Skoda; which was a very neat install; and it really sounded out of this world! My question is, how would you compare Rockford Fosgate equipment to any other or JBL to be precise? What does a good sounding music system depend on? I believe more than the quality of equipment used, it all goes down to the quality of install. Kindly advise.

Epic
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 14:34   #5318
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,180
Thanked: 268 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Dear Epic,

Like I told you when we met, I know Sam, and I know he's a very nice guy (make that a guy and a half, actually ), and like he has promised earlier he will definitely help you out. Immediately after we met, like I had told you, I had brought to Sam's notice some minor irregularities in your setup. Your main problem is not with the three pairs of speakers, it is more so with some other minor things like a small gap between the speaker frame and the cutout on the door etc. All of which can be easily sorted out. It is just a matter of Sam giving his neighbourhood JBL dealer an earful.

Let Sam do the yelling, and I'm sure you'll be listening to better music.

Good luck! Say hi to Abhyankar.

B&T aka Ajay Kamath

Hey B&T,

Glad to know your part of the clan, im convinced im in expert hands now. Will give you a call in a couple of days and we should get this sorted asap. Will get Abhyankar along with his car too as he has installed my prevous system in his Ikon. The install was done by the JBL guys only so lets check if there are any flaws in there too. But, it definitely sounds beter than mine.

Epic
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 15:37   #5319
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,742
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
Here is another Octy install, done by the same guy


If I'm not mistaken, that Kicker sub has a vented pole piece thats going to be too close up against the rear wall of the enclosure based on my estimation of the depth available there.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 15:42   #5320
BHPian
 
prabuddhadg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 731
Thanked: 44 Times
Default

Hi audio gurus, just want to thank you all for your advice. On your advice, I have got a stereo installed in my Petra and I am quite pleased with the result.
What I got is a Pioneer HU- some simple model that plays a CD and also connects an Ipod. And of course plays many radio stations ( my wife loves listening to radio, so she is quite happy). The amp is a Clarion. Its four channels, though I have not got a sub woofer installed right now- I shall listen to the present set up and decide later.
Four speakers, all JBL. 6X9 in the rear and 5.5 in the front. I had been afraid the bass would be too loud for my taste, but its perfect. So, though it is too early to tell, I may not need a sub-woofer after all.
The set up gets pretty loud and my ears have not had the tolerance to take full volume. I listen to blues, jazz and rock mostly, so this set up does not need to be so loud.
So, finally, thanks to all of you, particularly Navin and Sam. Your advice on various threads, was extremely useful.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 16:01   #5321
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,985
Thanked: 1,366 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
So, finally, thanks to all of you, particularly Navin and Sam. Your advice on various threads, was extremely useful.
Congratulations on your car stereo and I am most glad that you are pleased.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 16:37   #5322
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,963
Thanked: 3,504 Times
Default

Today must be my lucky day,

a) I was right for the second time since this thread started Epic has his front and rear components in parallel

b) Prabu actually found some post of mine useful (I suspect it was Sam's post and he is mistaken but I'll take the credit, Sam wont mind. He's been thanked many more times).

lastly B&T what does that Kicker in Skoda install remind you of? ;-) you wanna bet that port is actually damped LOL.

P.S.
We shoudl stop the Tu-Tu-Main-Main about Epic's intall. The past cannot be changed. His install can. Epic, the simplest solution is to take your car to B&T. Since he knows you car he'll be the best at solving this.

Last edited by navin : 7th February 2007 at 16:40.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 16:38   #5323
BHPian
 
prabuddhadg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 731
Thanked: 44 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Congratulations on your car stereo and I am most glad that you are pleased.
Actually, one more reason for the happiness is that armed with all the advice, I had prepared myself or a 20k budget, whereas, I tried out the stuff vis-a-vis my kind of music, 15k turned out to be quite enough.
Where your advice helped was, for instance, in selecting the amp. Earlier I was not even aware that there something like an amp for car stereos! Now, (on rare occasions when I feel like pumping up the volume) I can turn the volume knob all the way, and the sound does not distort, which feels good.
Another thing I did not know, was that JBL speakers were pretty good. Sam may find this surprising, but I think awareness of JBL is still not at levels one would desire. My earlier car had a complete Sony set up ( of course, without an extra amp), so it may be ufair to compare. But sound quality just can not be compared between the two set ups.
So, thanks again Team bhp.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 16:48   #5324
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hey Speedzak,

Yes i know its partly my fault for installing the 6X9s but then i would definitely like to be advised against a wrong setup or why should i invest so much i a JBL system?
Many doesn't even know that. They simply install because everybody else has one. That's the prime reason we always recommend others to sample what you are going to buy. So that, one can appreciate the stuff he owns himself.
And it is not necessary that the dealer/installer insist you against your wishes simply due to the fear of loosing a customer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Believe me, i used to drive an 800 before this and the system in that car, which consisted of just one 4-channel amp (Blaupunkt GTA 400), a pair of 5 way Pioneer Speakers, a pair of Pioneer Tweeters (TS-20) and one Pioneer dual 12" subwoofer sounded so much better than this system which has the works compared to what i had i the 800 and by the way was installed by the Rs. 30 kinda installer. I really feel bad that i sold that system.....
These words were very much needed here. Because without it, I could've ran into some other impression of what you want from your setup.
Now, I know exactly what you want and what you expect.

But let me tell you one thing. There's another wonderful world of audio and ICE outside!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Anyway, all said and done, im glad im here and i know for a fact now that you, B&T and the rest of the gang will help me out and i appreciate all the help and advice.
Cool!!! your problems can be solved soon. When are you meeting up with B&T?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
By the way, before i even got my car, i was system hunting and came across Digimax Audio at AC MArket at Tardeo who are the dealers for Rockford Fosgate. I was planning on goin in for that, but their basic system was costing me a lakh ten which was pretty out of my budget. I heard a set up in the owners (Mr. Porbunderwalla) Skoda; which was a very neat install; and it really sounded out of this world! My question is, how would you compare Rockford Fosgate equipment to any other or JBL to be precise? What does a good sounding music system depend on? I believe more than the quality of equipment used, it all goes down to the quality of install. Kindly advise.
Epic
Comparison would throw up many partial/favorite comments here. And wont give you a clear picture. If I wanted to find out that, I would compare myself 2 identical (rates and specs) systems from both brands and decide myself. Others' opinions or brands would never count on their performance for me. Of course, I would ask others regarding their service, presence, quality etc... But sound?? I am very selfish. And I suggest you follow the same principle.

And definitely, Install counts very much on a good sounding setup. Not just the equipment.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 17:59   #5325
BHPian
 
pshyamsundar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 130
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hi All, Can anyone tell me which head unit i should buy to play music from nokia n73. I have a few songs on the phone that i would like to play in my car stereo.
Is there any further modification needed for the same.

Many thanks in advance
pshyamsundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
sub enclosure advice from audio gurus clipto333 In-Car Entertainment 22 4th January 2007 11:29
Please Read This Thread *Before* Posting in the "What Car?" Section adya33 What Car? 0 12th July 2006 19:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks