Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2007, 18:55   #5866
BHPian
 
romyeo4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hyderabad - Now Bangalore
Posts: 278
Thanked: 8 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

to drive theJBL 607 and JBL 937 on PIO 5950 do we need an AMP? for a santro
romyeo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 20:13   #5867
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,985
Thanked: 1,366 Times
Default

No it is not necessary to have an amp for the speakers, but it will sound much much better, especially at higheer volumes, with the amplifier. Remember to use the HPF in the front at about 80hz.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 23:07   #5868
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,814
Thanked: 293 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
No it is not necessary to have an amp for the speakers, but it will sound much much better, especially at higheer volumes, with the amplifier. Remember to use the HPF in the front at about 80hz.
It will justice to the sound of the car...because the HU amp has not got enough juice to sound good at good volumes....
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 10:17   #5869
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,963
Thanked: 3,504 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
No it is not necessary to have an amp for the speakers, but it will sound much much better, especially at higheer volumes, with the amplifier. Remember to use the HPF in the front at about 80hz.
Amps provide other benfeits like Better electrical damping so better bass control and Active Filters and occupy little space (compared to a subwoofer).
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 14:50   #5870
BHPian
 
gopz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Blighty
Posts: 452
Thanked: Once
Default JBL Amp settings

Hi,
I have a Pioneer 4950 HU, rockford fosgate tweeters, Apline 690A rear speakers and a JBL CS 60.2 Amp connected to my rear speakers (no subwoofer and no front speakers). I have installed these in my Maruti 800. I am happy with the sound quality, but I do not find any difference when I adjust the bass boost setting on the AMP. Is this a faulty amp? Or do I need to adjust any settings? I have not used HP/LP on the amp because I do not have a subwoofer, I have kept the setting at "Flat". Also, the speakers are mounted on the rear door with an MDF plank, so it gives good bass but lot of vibrations. I tried a parcel tray but the bass punch was less. I do not want boxes because I will lose my boot space. Any suggestions??

Regards,
Gopz
gopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 15:45   #5871
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,963
Thanked: 3,504 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Hi,
Also, the speakers are mounted on the rear door with an MDF plank, so it gives good bass but lot of vibrations. I tried a parcel tray but the bass punch was less.
Wow this is news. You get more punch from the rear door install than from the rear deck install. The vibrations I assume is due to lack of damping in the rear doors.

The bass boost on the amp might be heard as the freq being boosed is lower than what you are producing with the speakers in the rear door. For example if you are boosting 40Hz but if your install is such that the speakers produce only as low as 80Hz you may not hear (or barely) hear the bass boost. This is just a possibility. See if the bass boost helps with the speakers in the rear deck.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 16:28   #5872
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cochin
Posts: 4
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hi Bhpians,

I am at the moment based out of Doha, Qatar.
I have a two year old santro for which i am keen on fitting a car stereo which can play MP3,CD-R/RW. I would also like to have the DIN unit to have an USB port for plugging in my mp3 player or FM Modulator. I spoke to couple of friends and i got different opinions on a good car stereo player. My budget is between 7-11,000. Car stereo units are cheaper out here compared to India.

I heard that Alpine is a better car audio player.

I am look for suggestions on a good brand which can do reliable duty in my santro xing.

Please advice.

Regards,
Excalibur
excalibur72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 01:30   #5873
BHPian
 
kamy450's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 244
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Dear Sam and experts.
I need your quick help... I have booked Aveo LS, which comes with Basic kenwood HU and two rear two front and two tweetors.

I am concenred about sound quality i am looking for nice sound with bass.

my question is can i sell that kenwood HU to external dealer in form of exchange ?

can i leave existing set up as it is ? and add bass tude and amp? will it improve sound?

Please Help and advice...

Thanks
kamy450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 07:46   #5874
Senior - BHPian
 
hydrashok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my Office
Posts: 2,528
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur72 View Post
Hi Bhpians,

I....h i am keen on fitting a car stereo which can play MP3,CD-R/RW. I would also like to have the DIN unit to have an USB port for plugging in my mp3 player or FM Modulator. .... My budget is between 7-11,000. Car stereo units are cheaper out here compared to India.

I heard that Alpine is a better car audio player....
For about 10K we have a Kenwood model here that has USB connectivity. A Pio7950 (about 10K again) would also fit your bill, but you'll need a 3K USB cable to get it fully functional.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 08:00   #5875
Senior - BHPian
 
hydrashok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my Office
Posts: 2,528
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamy450 View Post
...Aveo LS, which comes with Basic kenwood HU and two rear two front and two tweetors.

I am concenred about sound quality i am looking for nice sound with bass.

my question is can i sell that kenwood HU to external dealer in form of exchange ?

can i leave existing set up as it is ? and add bass tude and amp? will it improve sound?...
I think the Aveo takes 6" to 6.5" in front and back in the stock locations.

You can exchange the Kenwood HU, but you may not get more than 2K to 3K for it from the dealer.

Leaving the setup as is and adding an amp & a Tube would be the least expensive way of adding some bass. But the front speakers that come with the car will not sound that good. To get good sound up front, (you mentioned you are concerned with sound quality) you'll need to replace them -- Ideally with 2-way components, or with co-axials if budget does not permit.

If you can mention your budget for the upgrade we can help with specifics. Roughly, this would be how much it would cost, depending on what you want to do:

New HU: About 6K
2-way comps (6.5"): Between 5K and 6.5K minimum
4-ch amp for fronts & Tube: Between 7K and 9K
Bass Tube: 6.5K for a 12" tube.
(If you plan on a sub rather than a bass tube, 5K for driver & 1.5K for box).
Wiring (Power, RCAs): 3K.
Damping: 3K.

You can also power the tube from a 2-ch amp (and not power the fronts) to save money. That would be about 6K (a/a 7K to 9K for a 4-ch amp -- you save only about 1.5 to 2K).

You can take away about 3K from the total as exchange for the HU. Or you can keep the existing HU if you're OK with the sound. (It will have only 1 pre-out, so you will not be able to fad the sound between front and back from the HU, once you add a 4-ch amp).
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 08:29   #5876
BHPian
 
gopz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Blighty
Posts: 452
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Wow this is news. You get more punch from the rear door install than from the rear deck install. The vibrations I assume is due to lack of damping in the rear doors.

The bass boost on the amp might be heard as the freq being boosed is lower than what you are producing with the speakers in the rear door. For example if you are boosting 40Hz but if your install is such that the speakers produce only as low as 80Hz you may not hear (or barely) hear the bass boost. This is just a possibility. See if the bass boost helps with the speakers in the rear deck.

Thanks Navin, I will try to play around with the settings after installing the speakers on the rear tray. Do you think I need to remove the tweeters and get a good pair of front speakers? Which one do you recommend for good bass? Also, where can I get an underseat subwoofer in India? I see many models online but couldnt find anywhere in Bangalore.
gopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 11:59   #5877
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,963
Thanked: 3,504 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur72 View Post
... My budget is between 7-11,000. Car stereo units are cheaper out here compared to India....Excalibur
Rs. 11k = $ 250 you can get a decent HU from Pioneer etc for that much. Alpine is not nesscariy the best HU. Some guys like me prefer Alpines because we have been using the same for about 20+ years and the controls are alomsot the same as those 20 years ago. besides they dont come with dolphins and other jazzy graphics.

My expereince with Alpines has been good (my family has over 10 of them) they sound good and we have never had a failure of any kind so if it ain't broken why fix it.

Others have different preferences. Why not let your ears decide.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 15:21   #5878
BHPian
 
gopz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Blighty
Posts: 452
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Thanks Navin, I will try to play around with the settings after installing the speakers on the rear tray. Do you think I need to remove the tweeters and get a good pair of front speakers? Which one do you recommend for good bass? Also, where can I get an underseat subwoofer in India? I see many models online but couldnt find anywhere in Bangalore.
Navin, I am waiting for your advise...should I go in for front speakers, and which one gives good bass? and where can I get an underseat subwoofer in Bangalore?
gopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 21:29   #5879
BHPian
 
kamy450's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 244
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

oh Thank a ton for your quick reply !! i really appreciate your effort to help me on this. Sincere Thanks

I would like to restrict budget to 10k and can strech to 5k more if getting amazing set up. but not more then 15k

When i spoke to sales person in sundaram motors blr they said that i shouldnt change company fitted music equipments as it may damage the electric wiring
please advice on this.
second this should i purchase from outside and get it fitted in dealership ? is dealership capable of doing right fitting?

Or shall i go outside to fit those equipments?

In aveo where i can fit the Bass tube?

Do i need to change both rear and front speaker? tweetors too? if yes then how much shall i expect if i exchange them with jbl or sony stuff?

Pls also tell a line on diff between components and speaker?

Really sorry for putting so many questions here but i am really 0 known to this .. i found you all guys very helpful so seeking your advice and support.
Thanx a ton in advance.
kamy450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 21:39   #5880
BHPian
 
kamy450's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 244
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Ideal set up for Aveo LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I think the Aveo takes 6" to 6.5" in front and back in the stock locations.

You can exchange the Kenwood HU, but you may not get more than 2K to 3K for it from the dealer.

Leaving the setup as is and adding an amp & a Tube would be the least expensive way of adding some bass. But the front speakers that come with the car will not sound that good. To get good sound up front, (you mentioned you are concerned with sound quality) you'll need to replace them -- Ideally with 2-way components, or with co-axials if budget does not permit.

If you can mention your budget for the upgrade we can help with specifics. Roughly, this would be how much it would cost, depending on what you want to do:

New HU: About 6K
2-way comps (6.5"): Between 5K and 6.5K minimum
4-ch amp for fronts & Tube: Between 7K and 9K
Bass Tube: 6.5K for a 12" tube.
(If you plan on a sub rather than a bass tube, 5K for driver & 1.5K for box).
Wiring (Power, RCAs): 3K.
Damping: 3K.

.

Thanks For reply I really appreciate your help here... I have few more clarification to be done. Need your support

Sales person from sundaram motors says that i shouldnt change the music system or component as it may damage the electric system and warranty may not be availed. Is that true ?

If I purchase the equipments from outside and get it fitted in dealership ? is that ok? or i should go t outside vendor like JBL or Sony and get it fitted there?

If i keep the existing set up as it s and add sony amp and a bass tube ? will t give good sound? Pl do recommend bass tube( or what other u can suggest) and amp brand and model no with price.

in Aveo where i will fit tube and amp pls suggest ideal space.

If i exchange existing speakers outside how much should i expect for exisiting one to have an fair idea.

My ideal budget is 10 k but i can strech it to 15k if getting some amazing setup with out compromise on quality and warranty issue.

My appology if i am putting here some freak and invice questions but i am sure i will get a right help here....

Hdyrashock/Sam/Navin Pl help ...
kamy450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
sub enclosure advice from audio gurus clipto333 In-Car Entertainment 22 4th January 2007 11:29
Please Read This Thread *Before* Posting in the "What Car?" Section adya33 What Car? 0 12th July 2006 19:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks