Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2007, 22:26   #7051
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecfrek View Post
My car ('06 Accent GLE) currently has the following setup:
..................................
..................................
..................... I asked around and found a shop giving Sony amplifiers (i think 502 or something) for 3.5K and a JBL subwoofer for the same price. He did not have a boxed piece at the moment so i do not know which models precisely he was talking about. Any clue how good these two are? Thanks a lot for reading this problem... Waiting for all your valuable insights.
Hello tecfrek, lets wait for the gurus to answer your technical queries , meanwhile it is my duty as a fellow newbie to warn you about the counterfeit JBL speakers I had the misfortune of chancing upon,complete with box and shrink wrap ,it wasn't until the shopkeeper gleefully pointed out that its a fake product(made in Delhi) that I noticed the minor faults with packaging and the tacky print-job.
Not that I'm any better at identifying such fake producs but I'd advise caution nevertheless before you part with your brass. Just my 2 cents.
chintu_bhopali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2007, 23:02   #7052
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,985
Thanked: 1,359 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chintu_bhopali View Post
it is my duty as a fellow newbie to warn you about the counterfeit JBL speakers I had the misfortune of chancing upon,complete with box and shrink wrap ,it wasn't until the shopkeeper gleefully pointed out that its a fake product(made in Delhi) that I noticed the minor faults with packaging and the tacky print-job.
Not that I'm any better at identifying such fake producs but I'd advise caution nevertheless before you part with your brass. Just my 2 cents.
*raising both eyebrows* - you saw spurious JBL speakers in Bangalore that were made in delhi? That is extremely unlikely chintu. There are no fake JBL speakers made in New Delhi to my knowledge.
And JBL products are not usually shrink wrapped either.

However if you did see such a thing, perhaps a picture and a clearer warning (Such as where you saw this) would help the other newbies. I too am most curious.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2007, 23:55   #7053
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
*raising both eyebrows* - you saw spurious JBL speakers in Bangalore that were made in delhi? That is extremely unlikely chintu. There are no fake JBL speakers made in New Delhi to my knowledge.
And JBL products are not usually shrink wrapped either.

However if you did see such a thing, perhaps a picture and a clearer warning (Such as where you saw this) would help the other newbies. I too am most curious.
I'm sorry , in my eagerness to warn tecfrek (and him asking about SONY amp and JBL sub ) I typed JBL instead of SONY.
What I saw were infact fake SONY speakers(front coaxials I guess), and do let me know if you want to know the name of the shop.

I guess my hunt for JBL speakers for right prices is indeed making me little paranoid , and its good to know that there are no fake JBL speakers floating around in the market ,I didn't know that.

My apologies again.
chintu_bhopali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 10:20   #7054
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,694
Thanked: 3,320 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecfrek View Post
Sony Xplod GT250S Head Unit
4 * Pioneer TS A1681R Speakers (Mounted on the front doors and rear parcel tray)

Only the front left speaker works (barely, very very soft output) and the right one is completely mute. The rear ones are fluctuating as well and it feels like they will stop working soon too. Hence, i would like to upgrade.

Firstly, what would be the best upgrade for me given my scenario? I would like to check all four speakers and fix it up like how it was initially. After that, i would like to add a subwoofer with an amp.
My budget is around 9K. I asked around and found a shop giving Sony amplifiers (i think 502 or something) for 3.5K and a JBL subwoofer for the same price.
1. do you know a good installer where you live? ask him to check each component (all 4 speakers and the HU) of your existing system and determine where the fault lies. From the symptoms you mention it might only be some loose wire.

2. Once you get all 4 speakers working determine if you are ahppy with the sound of your exisitng speakers. There are better speakers than Pioneer out there.

3. Now that you are satisfied with the sound of the 4 speakers you can add a sub. The sony amp (552) and JBL sub will do a good job given their price.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 23:11   #7055
Senior - BHPian
 
maxbhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: C C K
Posts: 1,366
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Bhaiyo or behano ! Need a small suggestion .Am planning to install a mono amp to my sub in a similar manner. I would like to know the pros and cons of fixing this way.

The reason I am going for this method is that I want to maximise my boot space when I really need them,so I am going to make a plug- sort of arrangment so that the whole sub setup can be moved easily if additional space is required.
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 23:20   #7056
Senior - BHPian
 
hydrashok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my Office
Posts: 2,528
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
... .Am planning to install a mono amp to my sub in a similar manner. I would like to know the pros and cons of fixing this way.

<picture>

The reason I am going for this method is that I want to maximise my boot space when I really need them,so I am going to make a plug- sort of arrangment so that the whole sub setup can be moved easily if additional space is required.
Pros:
Like you said, more boot space.

Cons
:
1) Disconnecting the amp every time will be a hassle. Power & ground cables will need to be removed. So will RCA cables. The cable to the sub is of course hard-wired, so that will not need to be removed.

2) The amp will have to be fixed very well. IMHO You'll probably need to use extra-thick wood (2.5" MDF or so) on one side to make sure the vibrations from the sub don't affect the seating of the amp, or the components of the amp.

3) I personally don't think subjecting an electronic item like the amp to continuous vibrations of the sort a sub will produce is that good a thing.

Why don't you fix the amp to the back of the seat or something, and make just the sub removable? Do you really need to fix the amp on the sub-box? I don't think the minor saving of space by fixing the amp on the sub-box will be worth the hassle.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 23:25   #7057
Senior - BHPian
 
maxbhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: C C K
Posts: 1,366
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post

3) I personally don't think subjecting an electronic item like the amp to continuous vibrations of the sort a sub will produce is that good a thing.
i was and am worried about the same thing but has any of your friends tried it ?
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 23:29   #7058
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Noida
Posts: 175
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I have and there is no problem at all. My sony mono was installed exactly like this for over two years without any problems. The amp is still working now.
akg7091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2007, 23:32   #7059
Senior - BHPian
 
hydrashok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In my Office
Posts: 2,528
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
i was and am worried about the same thing but has any of your friends tried it ?
Nope. Never seen it done myself.

What do you plan to haul in that humongous boot of yours (present and planned) that you need 3 inches of extra boot depth/width for?
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 07:32   #7060
Senior - BHPian
 
maxbhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: C C K
Posts: 1,366
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Nope. Never seen it done myself.

What do you plan to haul in that humongous boot of yours (present and planned) that you need 3 inches of extra boot depth/width for?
Hmm part of my need can be attributed to my aesthetic needs. But if its not good for the amp , I will definitely chuck the idea !
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 09:18   #7061
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 9
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Bhaiyo or behano ! Need a small suggestion .Am planning to install a mono amp to my sub in a similar manner. I would like to know the pros and cons of fixing this way.

The reason I am going for this method is that I want to maximise my boot space when I really need them,so I am going to make a plug- sort of arrangment so that the whole sub setup can be moved easily if additional space is required.
Hi, I had used such an arrangement for over a year. The reason being I could use the same sub+amp in either of our 2 cars cutting down on further investment at that point of time. Primary concern for me then was connecting/disconnecting the setup each time I wanted it moved. Initially I had to disconnect battery terminals. Later i had used "Hi-Current" isloators and connectors that I had secured from my company's scrapped electric fork lift.
jvedanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 17:09   #7062
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,586
Thanked: 1,261 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Pros:
Like you said, more boot space.
he drives a Sienna! seen its boot? Those with hatchbacks and sub boxes gonna shoot him!
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 17:58   #7063
Senior - BHPian
 
maxbhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: C C K
Posts: 1,366
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
he drives a Sienna! seen its boot? Those with hatchbacks and sub boxes gonna shoot him!
Oh come on JK its not much, just 510 lit
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 19:06   #7064
Senior - BHPian
 
Ajaybiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,352
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

One question to Gurus donno whether its already discussed or not, If amps are used in very moderate way for example just 20% of their peak power will it affect the power cosumption?My question is power cosumption of Amps are steady or varies upon sound level?
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2007, 19:09   #7065
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,812
Thanked: 293 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
One question to Gurus donno whether its already discussed or not, If amps are used in very moderate way for example just 20% of their peak power will it affect the power cosumption?My question is power cosumption of Amps are steady or varies upon sound level?
It vary according to the sound level. The bass notes need more power but the mid and the highs require less power.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
sub enclosure advice from audio gurus clipto333 In-Car Entertainment 22 4th January 2007 11:29
Please Read This Thread *Before* Posting in the "What Car?" Section adya33 What Car? 0 12th July 2006 19:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks