Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2008, 19:17   #7471
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,127
Thanked: 6,197 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyonblackybx View Post
Without my requirments? you mean there is no player with Bluetooth and USB compatability in price range of 7k?
I think some sony models you can get it for that price range with bluetooth and USB. Check it out with Sprocket at Ameerpet. But, then Sony aren't that great in HU's
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 20:05   #7472
BHPian
 
clipto333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: jalandhar
Posts: 912
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyonblackybx View Post
Without my requirments? you mean there is no player with Bluetooth and USB compatability in price range of 7k?
i think JKD was referring to alpine HUs(i could be wrong). they dont have usb and bluetooth at this price.

i have a 9870e installed in my fiesta. it is the basic model with ipod control iirc. it was for 8k approximately.

cheers

Last edited by clipto333 : 2nd January 2008 at 20:06.
clipto333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2008, 20:42   #7473
BHPian
 
guyonblackybx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 357
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
i think JKD was referring to alpine HUs(i could be wrong). they dont have usb and bluetooth at this price.

i have a 9870e installed in my fiesta. it is the basic model with ipod control iirc. it was for 8k approximately.

cheers
Yeah your true, I do feel he is Talking about Alpine :P
guyonblackybx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:00   #7474
BHPian
 
yogi1771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 629
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
i think JKD was referring to alpine HUs(i could be wrong). they dont have usb and bluetooth at this price.

i have a 9870e installed in my fiesta. it is the basic model with ipod control iirc. it was for 8k approximately.

cheers
Hi Clip can you post a picture of the installed H.U in your car thank you
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 17:58   #7475
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,736
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Most home audio speakers are 8 ohms and hence asked.
The idea is to keep the speaker cable resistance as low as possible. The resistance of the speaker has nothing to do with choice of speaker cable.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 18:20   #7476
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,696
Thanked: 3,328 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
The idea is to keep the speaker cable resistance as low as possible..
in general the idea is to keep cable resistance, skin effect and capacitance as low as possible.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 20:24   #7477
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,376
Thanked: 833 Times
Default

Hey guys,
Here's are a few questions pertaining to the Fiesta which has a stock size of 5" * 7".
I went to Bharat Audio at Worli to ask them about my CD reciever as it was skipping a lot and getting stuck while the car was going over bumps and the Ford people couldn't do anything. She mentioned it was something to do with the laser block however, as I was running late, she didn't get time to inspect it properly. Could there be any other suspect apart from the laser block? And how much would it cost to get repaired?

i also asked her about upgrading the system and here is what she said:
- Pioneer HU - 2990/3050
- Blaupunkt Amp
- Pioneer 6 * 9 speakers in the rear
- Pioneer speakers in the front.

This along with cabling and labour comes to around Rs 15,800 - Rs 16,200.
She said putting a Sub in the Fiesta would be useless unless it is powered by a Monoblock amp as it would not felt/heard as I would have to put it in the trunk.
I also asked her about the JBL 5 * 7 speakers (GTO 8527 i think) and she said that they would blow if an amp was connected to them as they weren't powerful enough. She says she can fit the Pioneer speakers in without any cutting but would it be possible to do so without affecting the sound quality and stock looks?
Also, how will the amplifier really help? I mean what exactly would it do in layman's terms?

Are there any other options in that budget range?
I mainly listen to Rock and Dance, House, Trance and like clear bass.

thanks a lot guys!
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 09:53   #7478
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,696
Thanked: 3,328 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I went to Bharat Audio at Worli
She mentioned it was something to do with the laser block

i also asked her about upgrading the system and here is what she said:
- Pioneer HU - 2990/3050
- Blaupunkt Amp
- Pioneer 6 * 9 speakers in the rear
- Pioneer speakers in the front.

This along with cabling and labour comes to around Rs 15,800 - Rs 16,200.
She said putting a Sub in the Fiesta would be useless unless it is powered by a Monoblock amp..I also asked her about the JBL 5 * 7 speakers (GTO 8527 i think) and she said that they would blow if an amp was connected to them as they weren't powerful enough...Are there any other options in that budget range?..I mainly listen to Rock and Dance, House, Trance and like clear bass.
Did you tell her you were on TBHP? Thanks to the gurus here many ICE installers will throw less BS at TBHPians.

Every installer will sell what he/she gets highest commision on. That is their job. It is for you to know what you want an insist on listening to atleast 2 other brands. I'd say listen to JBL and Blaupunkt as they are widely available and sell in the same price range as Pioneer. Bharat also stocks Illusion (ask her) and maybe even Hertz (Gunbir will clarify).

As far as Amps got he Kenwood 8401 is also getting good reviews in many places. Others in the same price range (as the Blau GT4) are the Pio 6300 and JBL GT5.

Any sub needs a good amp. A monoblock is a safe bet but a good 2/4 channel amp that can dump a lot of current when bridged (like the JBL 75.4) can also do.

As far as the 5x7s go, the Blau GT4 amp (or it's competitors listed above) may or maynot balow it. However you sill find that the speaker sounds very stressed before it blows and hence will have ample warning. Besides one can always turn the gains on the amp down to play it safe.

A 6x9 can be showhorned into a 5x7 hole and will provide more bass, besides there are many more models of 6x9s around than 5x7.

The Hu she recommends sells for about 5K and the amp for about 7K so if you are getting the whole system for about 16K it is a good deal. Replacing the Pio with JBL GT5, Hertz Deici, or Illusion Electra might strech the budget to 20K.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 12:46   #7479
JPL
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: XXXXX
Posts: 241
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
if this is true then it cant be the surounds.
check if the speaker is disturbing something else. the source of the rattle is something that is loose but is being disturbed when the speaker is on.
Took the car to the installer and he sent a boy, he went under the dash with a screwdriver and tightened a screw and voila the sparky sound stopped for now !! I am really not sure what was the cause of the sound and still sceptical about keeping them as they are in warranty for few days.

Also, I wanted to know will adding a tweeter improve the staging and imaging in the front with the GTO 427 in the santro dash, do I need a crossover for that?

How can I achieve the same?

Last edited by JPL : 4th January 2008 at 12:55.
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 12:57   #7480
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 6,812
Thanked: 293 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
Took the car to the installer and he sent a boy, he went under the dash with a screwdriver and tightened a screw and voila the sparky sound stopped for now !! I am really not sure what was the cause of the sound and still sceptical about keeping them as they are in warranty for few days.

Also, I wanted to know will adding a tweeter improve the staging and imaging in the front with the GTO 427 in the santro dash, do I need a crossover for that?
GTO 427 is a full range speaker add tweeter will deteriorate the sound than improving it as there will be two tweeters there and it will make the sound very bright.
low_bass_makker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 13:10   #7481
JPL
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: XXXXX
Posts: 241
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
GTO 427 is a full range speaker add tweeter will deteriorate the sound than improving it as there will be two tweeters there and it will make the sound very bright.
Thanks. Is it possible (for a n00b) to actually remove the tweeter and then add a crossover and a new JBL tweeter? and is the outcome worth it for the time and money?
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 14:53   #7482
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,696
Thanked: 3,328 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
Thanks. Is it possible (for a n00b) to actually remove the tweeter and then add a crossover and a new JBL tweeter? and is the outcome worth it for the time and money?
Some time back someone asked Sam the same question and he said no. I think I would agree with him, he knows more about JBL than most others.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 15:08   #7483
JPL
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: XXXXX
Posts: 241
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thank you Navin.

So is a 4" midrange available for purchase?

If so can I also a buy a crossover for the same and then add tweeters to it, is it possible to make a custom crossover?
If yes, can a layman make it if he adheres to strict instructions.

What can be the advatages and disadvantages of the same? and how much is it going to cost, is it worth the effort considering that I may be able to actually put together something better and cheaper?
JPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 16:21   #7484
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,376
Thanked: 833 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Did you tell her you were on TBHP? Thanks to the gurus here many ICE installers will throw less BS at TBHPians.

Every installer will sell what he/she gets highest commision on. That is their job. It is for you to know what you want an insist on listening to atleast 2 other brands. I'd say listen to JBL and Blaupunkt as they are widely available and sell in the same price range as Pioneer. Bharat also stocks Illusion (ask her) and maybe even Hertz (Gunbir will clarify).

As far as Amps got he Kenwood 8401 is also getting good reviews in many places. Others in the same price range (as the Blau GT4) are the Pio 6300 and JBL GT5.

Any sub needs a good amp. A monoblock is a safe bet but a good 2/4 channel amp that can dump a lot of current when bridged (like the JBL 75.4) can also do.

As far as the 5x7s go, the Blau GT4 amp (or it's competitors listed above) may or maynot balow it. However you sill find that the speaker sounds very stressed before it blows and hence will have ample warning. Besides one can always turn the gains on the amp down to play it safe.

A 6x9 can be showhorned into a 5x7 hole and will provide more bass, besides there are many more models of 6x9s around than 5x7.

The Hu she recommends sells for about 5K and the amp for about 7K so if you are getting the whole system for about 16K it is a good deal. Replacing the Pio with JBL GT5, Hertz Deici, or Illusion Electra might strech the budget to 20K.
Hey Navin,
Thanks for your reply. I mentioned that I was a member of T-BHP and she told me that she had worked on others members cars including GTO's.
Given the fact that I listen to a lot of House and Trance and Rock, what type of set up would you reccomend?
I was thinking about a HU with AUX in, front Components, rear co-axials and an 4 channel amp driving a tray mounted Sub.
Would you know how much such a system would work out to be? I don't want to spend too much as I will be using this car only for 4-5 months out of a year as I will be studying abroad most of the time.
If there is no problem with the 6*9's fitting in the same space, i would go ahead with them along with the front speakers she reccomends and will also listen to Hertz and JBL before deciding.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 11:17   #7485
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,696
Thanked: 3,328 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
So is a 4" midrange available for purchase?

If so can I also a buy a crossover for the same and then add tweeters to it?
why not buy a 4" component set from thelikes of Illusion or Hertz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Given the fact that I listen to a lot of House and Trance and Rock, what type of set up would you reccomend?
I was thinking about a HU with AUX in, front Components, rear co-axials and an 4 channel amp driving a tray mounted Sub.
Would you know how much such a system would work out to be? I don't want to spend too much as I will be using this car only for 4-5 months out of a year as I will be studying abroad most of the time.
If there is no problem with the 6*9's fitting in the same space, i would go ahead with them along with the front speakers she reccomends and will also listen to Hertz and JBL before deciding.
JBL, Pio, Hertz or Illusion can do this pretty well. It also depends what you like. Some speakers are brighters than others, some have a more defined bass, etc..

A try mounted sub for example will be loud but the bass might not be as well defined as a boxed sub.

Since you are into a lot of electronic music 6x9s make sense, the midbass boost they provide will help.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
sub enclosure advice from audio gurus clipto333 In-Car Entertainment 22 4th January 2007 11:29
Please Read This Thread *Before* Posting in the "What Car?" Section adya33 What Car? 0 12th July 2006 19:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks