Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2008, 22:36   #8296
Newbie
 
arunjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Thodupuzha
Posts: 20
Thanked: 0 Times
Smile Help me with some helpful suggestions!!!!

Guru,
I,m sending this PM to you because of my urgency(only got a time limit of 2-3 weeks).So please help me with my ICE installation...(in my current situation I cant go and listen to various components.That,s why)
Vehicle:SWIFT diesel
My Budget:50K(Including Damping)
Song Preferences:Safri Duo,Linkin Park,Westlife,System of Down,Hindi Gazals etc....
Other Preferences:If possible, boot space should be saved.Not interested in installing anything on the parcel tray
I want to know the price and brand names of the following things(things of your preference) for a good ICE setup:
1) fronts
2) rears
3) speaker amp
4) sub woofer
5) sub amp
6) Cables
7) Damping
8) Wiring Kit
9) RCA Kit
11) Y-Cable
12)cd/dvd head unit with minimum 3-pre outs
II) Which is good for tight bass?(sub woofer or bass tube)?
I have never heard good ICE installations of brands likeJBL,Infinity,Pioneer,Alpine,Kicker,audison etc and I never know their specialities.So I leave the selection of different components for you.
Sir I need you to help me with these suggestions;
1) Which brand(according to your choice) and its model is good for the above mentioned components?

Thanks,
Arun
arunjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 22:43   #8297
BHPian
 
adityamunshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Baroda
Posts: 771
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Try looking at this thread. many good setups listed there

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...io-thread.html

Also, the what ice @ what price thread in the sound off and show off section would be useful

And you must listen before you buy, music is a very subjective thing no one can choose what you're going to like.


Quote:
Originally Posted by arunjp View Post
Guru,
I,m sending this PM to you because of my urgency(only got a time limit of 2-3 weeks).So please help me with my ICE installation...(in my current situation I cant go and listen to various components.That,s why)
Vehicle:SWIFT diesel
My Budget:50K(Including Damping)
Song Preferences:Safri Duo,Linkin Park,Westlife,System of Down,Hindi Gazals etc....
Other Preferences:If possible, boot space should be saved.Not interested in installing anything on the parcel tray
I want to know the price and brand names of the following things(things of your preference) for a good ICE setup:
1) fronts
2) rears
3) speaker amp
4) sub woofer
5) sub amp
6) Cables
7) Damping
8) Wiring Kit
9) RCA Kit
11) Y-Cable
12)cd/dvd head unit with minimum 3-pre outs
II) Which is good for tight bass?(sub woofer or bass tube)?
I have never heard good ICE installations of brands likeJBL,Infinity,Pioneer,Alpine,Kicker,audison etc and I never know their specialities.So I leave the selection of different components for you.
Sir I need you to help me with these suggestions;
1) Which brand(according to your choice) and its model is good for the above mentioned components?

Thanks,
Arun

Last edited by adityamunshi : 16th June 2008 at 22:46.
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 09:33   #8298
BHPian
 
mohang_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 270
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
manufacturers take into account the drivers impedance at turnover frequency, the drivers natural roll off and impulse response, and the "effective nominal system impedance" they are trying to achieve.
Is there any way we can calculate resonance frequency without oscilloscope.
By the way i have completed the crossovers will post the pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I am a newbie to this and not sure whether I would want to get a sub and then the box built separately. Hence I thought of going for a ready made solution. Please help here.
You can easily build the box.I my view ready made solutions are big compromise.You may not get options on sizes.
You can always take the help of data sheet comes with sub and a Carpenter.

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th June 2008 at 13:02.
mohang_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 09:55   #8299
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,985
Thanked: 1,366 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
YYou may not get options on sizes.
You can always take the help of data sheet comes with sub and a Carpenter.
Exactly. You see, bassworks (or whatever) are very one-size-fits-all boxes. Designed for a 12" woofer, any brand any type. But boxes do not fit all.

Each kind of subwoofer has different characteristics and needs a slightly different box of a different volume and port length and diameter. It is better to either buy a subwoofer and make a box as per the specs or to go and buy a pre-boxed subwoofer where the company has made the box as per the specs of the woofer.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 12:51   #8300
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Exactly. You see, bassworks (or whatever) are very one-size-fits-all boxes. Designed for a 12" woofer, any brand any type. But boxes do not fit all.

Each kind of subwoofer has different characteristics and needs a slightly different box of a different volume and port length and diameter. It is better to either buy a subwoofer and make a box as per the specs or to go and buy a pre-boxed subwoofer where the company has made the box as per the specs of the woofer.
@Sam - Two questions here:

1. Is it easy to make the regular carpenter understand how to design the box? I tried to decipher the T-S parameters but it looked as if these require some technical knowledge.

2. If the CS 1204B has been discontinued then what alternative product has JBL launched?
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 17:14   #8301
BHPian
 
praveen_v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 457
Thanked: 119 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
1. Is it easy to make the regular carpenter understand how to design the box? I tried to decipher the T-S parameters but it looked as if these require some technical knowledge.
Why do you need TS parameters?? You need not design the box on your own. Just take the user manual of the sub and show it to the carpenter. You just need the dimensions, which should be present as a diagram in the user manual. If there is no manual then the website should have it.
praveen_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2008, 17:21   #8302
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
Why do you need TS parameters?? You need not design the box on your own. Just take the user manual of the sub and show it to the carpenter. You just need the dimensions, which should be present as a diagram in the user manual. If there is no manual then the website should have it.
aha, I thought TS parameters were needed to build the box. My bad.

And from where can I get the raw material? MDF and carpet etc? If its not too difficult, I might make it myself only.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 09:58   #8303
BHPian
 
mohang_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 270
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
And from where can I get the raw material? MDF and carpet etc? If its not too difficult, I might make it myself only.
Its not that difficult,if you have access to tools like jack plane, chisel ,hole saw,jigsaw & router.If you have router and proper bits your job will be relatively easier and you can achieve better finishing.You have to buy 3/4 or 1 inch thick mdf board comes in 6*4' or 8*4' sizes.
It will be fun building the box.
mohang_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 18:23   #8304
BHPian
 
adityamunshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Baroda
Posts: 771
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

@nishantgandhi

Have u finally decided on your setup or still confused ?
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 18:45   #8305
Senior - BHPian
 
Bass&Trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,742
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j
Its not that difficult,if you have access to tools like jack plane, chisel ,hole saw,jigsaw & router.If you have router and proper bits your job will be relatively easier and you can achieve better finishing.
Its not that easy either. I suggest requesting some divine intervention..... wasn't there mention on some other thread about Magma-ji catching up on an enclosure-building training session under Bhagwan-ji's expert guidance and supervision? Maybe Nishant-ji can join in for the same. And both of you guys please take notes and do promptly pass on to Aditya-ji and vebmetal-ji since I dont think they will be able to attend this, OR build an extra box each to ship to them.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 19:48   #8306
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,349
Thanked: 1,057 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
Its not that difficult,if you have access to tools like jack plane, chisel ,hole saw,jigsaw & router.If you have router and proper bits your job will be relatively easier and you can achieve better finishing.You have to buy 3/4 or 1 inch thick mdf board comes in 6*4' or 8*4' sizes.
It will be fun building the box.
wow thats a very great confidence level, but when i just purchased the cloth, glue and other material just to cover the subwoofer box and the speaker boxes, i never knew its so laborious and will eat up my whole day and energy.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 22:07   #8307
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
@nishantgandhi
Have u finally decided on your setup or still confused ?
Well this is what I have decided (a long time ago, and maybe it still holds true!)
HU: Pio 5050
Front: Illusion EL 6.1
Amp: Blau GT4 MKII 4 channel

Regarding the sub, yes I am still a bit confused . Spoke to Mohan and got infected with a bit of enthusiasm regarding building the box. So I am gravitating towards that option now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Its not that easy either. I suggest requesting some divine intervention..... wasn't there mention on some other thread about Magma-ji catching up on an enclosure-building training session under Bhagwan-ji's expert guidance and supervision? Maybe Nishant-ji can join in for the same. And both of you guys please take notes and do promptly pass on to Aditya-ji and vebmetal-ji since I dont think they will be able to attend this, OR build an extra box each to ship to them.
Yes Ajay, The God-ji's divine intervention is badly needed. Or maybe his spare sub enclosure is more badly needed! I am planning to visit him soon. I simply love his enthusiasm regarding sub enclosures! I hope to gather some knowledge and help aditya-ji at least. Vebmetal is absconding from TBHP since a long time so I have no clue about his search for sub.

BTW, aap Ramie2400 ko kaise bhool gaye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
Its not that difficult,if you have access to tools like jack plane, chisel ,hole saw,jigsaw & router.If you have router and proper bits your job will be relatively easier and you can achieve better finishing.You have to buy 3/4 or 1 inch thick mdf board comes in 6*4' or 8*4' sizes.
It will be fun building the box.
The way you have described it here and on phone, it did not sound so much fun! But I will give +1 to your enthusiasm and hence benefit of doubt to you!
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 23:14   #8308
BHPian
 
redfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago, The Windy City
Posts: 444
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Well this is what I have decided (a long time ago, and maybe it still holds true!)
HU: Pio 5050
Front: Illusion EL 6.1
What is the price of Pio 5050 and what are the options in Alpine and Kenwood in that price range? I have heared atleast 3-4 Pio (including mine, others with equally good or better setups) and 3-4 Alpines (equally good, some without sub, some better equipped) and all I can say is Pio budget series is nowhere near Alpine. Heard Kenwood also are equally good or slightly better. This is strictly personal evaluation and what my ears told me. I don't know how to put it exactly but trying - while Alpines produced crisp and detailed ouput, Pios were like having a mask over them making the details flat/hollow. I will be upgrading my HU from Pio to Alpine or Kenwood for sure.

Last edited by redfire : 18th June 2008 at 23:25.
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 23:27   #8309
BHPian
 
mohang_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 270
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
but when i just purchased the cloth, glue and other material just to cover the subwoofer box and the speaker boxes, i never knew its so laborious and will eat up my whole day and energy.
We should take it in positive way,we all spend our time in daily routine work.this small(big) exercise will cheer you for many days.Yes i agree with you box building is very very laborious and will eat up our whole day/energy.--(correction many whole days + sleepless nights-even if you are not with your girl friend)

Last edited by mohang_j : 18th June 2008 at 23:33.
mohang_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 16:14   #8310
BHPian
 
mohang_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 270
Thanked: 18 Times
Default components in alto

I have a question on mounting components in alto door,should i cut A+B or A only as shown in pic.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by mohang_j : 19th June 2008 at 16:21.
mohang_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
sub enclosure advice from audio gurus clipto333 In-Car Entertainment 22 4th January 2007 11:29
Please Read This Thread *Before* Posting in the "What Car?" Section adya33 What Car? 0 12th July 2006 19:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks