Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2008, 16:20   #8311
Team-BHP Support
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 14,829
Thanked: 2,336 Times
Default

Hi Mohang

please check out following thread & you will get an idea on how to fit Component speakers in an Alto

Alto Comps Fitting
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 16:24   #8312
BHPian
 
mohang_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 269
Thanked: 18 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Hi Mohang

please check out following thread & you will get an idea on how to fit Component speakers in an Alto
I have gone through all posts on this topic,could not get answer for this.
mohang_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 16:39   #8313
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
What is the price of Pio 5050 and what are the options in Alpine and Kenwood in that price range? I have heared atleast 3-4 Pio (including mine, others with equally good or better setups) and 3-4 Alpines (equally good, some without sub, some better equipped) and all I can say is Pio budget series is nowhere near Alpine. Heard Kenwood also are equally good or slightly better. This is strictly personal evaluation and what my ears told me. I don't know how to put it exactly but trying - while Alpines produced crisp and detailed ouput, Pios were like having a mask over them making the details flat/hollow. I will be upgrading my HU from Pio to Alpine or Kenwood for sure.
Pioneer 5050 is around 7k in grey. I agree Alpine would be better in sound reproduction compared to Pioneer, but it also pushes up the budget. Kenwood might be good, but my earlier experience with that brand was not positive. However, Gunbir mentioned that the 2008 series is quite good and VFM too. However, I could never get to audition any of them.

To me, in terms of overall quality, this is how I would equate the three brands:

Pioneer = Maruti Suzuki. Why - Easily available, affordable and VFM. Serves the bling and show off factor well enough for wannabes

Kenwood = Hyundai. Why - Good features. However not available/serviced everywhere. Works more on "Caveat Emptor" principle.

Alpine=Honda. Why - Trustworthy, excellent features at a slightly higher price. Solidly built.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 16:56   #8314
BHPian
 
adityamunshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Baroda
Posts: 771
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

And JVC = TATA ? Very good for VFM installs, decent SQ but perception and service problems limit its popularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

To me, in terms of overall quality, this is how I would equate the three brands:

Pioneer = Maruti Suzuki. Why - Easily available, affordable and VFM. Serves the bling and show off factor well enough for wannabes

Kenwood = Hyundai. Why - Good features. However not available/serviced everywhere. Works more on "Caveat Emptor" principle.

Alpine=Honda. Why - Trustworthy, excellent features at a slightly higher price. Solidly built.
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 17:53   #8315
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,574
Thanked: 824 Times
Default

i got an alpine 9870 for 8k. planned to get a 5050.1k isnt significantly overbudget. though i do miss the extra features and the 2 extra pre outs, and the USB ( DAMN! , thats a lot I sacrificed for SQ ) These days , i feel I have all i need ( except for a sub of course )
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 17:55   #8316
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Sorry to disagree guys!
That is just a vague comparison of ICE brands with automobile brands. Ofcourse, it is humorous though. It is is no way connected to reality.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 18:02   #8317
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
i got an alpine 9870 for 8k. planned to get a 5050.1k isnt significantly overbudget. though i do miss the extra features and the 2 extra pre outs, and the USB ( DAMN! , thats a lot I sacrificed for SQ ) These days , i feel I have all i need ( except for a sub of course )
Yes thats what I meant. If you want exactly the same features, or even remotely similar (in terms of no of pre outs and USB), I think the Alpine then becomes significantly overpriced

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Sorry to disagree guys!
That is just a vague comparison of ICE brands with automobile brands. Ofcourse, it is humorous though. It is is no way connected to reality.
Thats what it was intended to be speedzak! It wasnt a fact based comparison, just a perception based equalization!
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 18:05   #8318
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,574
Thanked: 824 Times
Default

but please do give them a listen before you decide to buy something else No point in buying $$$ speakers and amps for SQ if your HU is the limiting factor !

PS: it is ipod compatible btw, but the cable costs another 2k methinks

Last edited by greenhorn : 19th June 2008 at 18:07.
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 17:35   #8319
BHPian
 
hrsraghav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 287
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Well this is what I have decided (a long time ago, and maybe it still holds true!)
HU: Pio 5050
Front: Illusion EL 6.1
Amp: Blau GT4 MKII 4 channel

Regarding the sub, yes I am still a bit confused . Spoke to Mohan and got infected with a bit of enthusiasm regarding building the box. So I am gravitating towards that option now.
Hi Nishant
Me too still hanging in between Sub and Amp. I have inclination for JBL 75.4, bcz of power reqd for Sub. (relative to Kenwood and BP)
So whats was the final point which made you go for Bp GT4 Amp.
And any advancement on Sub front.


Anyone knows the JBL 100.4 price in grey?
hrsraghav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 17:51   #8320
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
Hi Nishant
Me too still hanging in between Sub and Amp. I have inclination for JBL 75.4, bcz of power reqd for Sub. (relative to Kenwood and BP)
So whats was the final point which made you go for Bp GT4 Amp.
And any advancement on Sub front.


Anyone knows the JBL 100.4 price in grey?
1. The Blau GT4 amp delivers about ~160-180 WRMS in bridged mode for the sub. While this may not be completely satisfying the sub, I believe it would do its job well. My requirement from the sub is to complement the front compos by delivering the low frequencies. (I do not have rear 6x9s).

I do not intend to drive the sub to its maximum potential or want it to belt out ear shattering thumping bass.

The Pioneer 5050 has a maximum volume level till 62. I anyways listen to my system with a HU volume level of ~12-16 (windows rolled down) or ~6-10 (windows rolled up and wife next to me). Believe me, this volume level is quite adequate for my ears. Anything beyond 16 starts to suppress the surrounding noises (horn, cellphone ringer, car noise etc) - which may not be a safe thing to do.

Given the above, I do not think the 160-180 WRMS would be feeble to power the sub. Ofcourse, giving it 200+ WRMS would be a "nice-to-have", but I am really not bothered about it. My installer also reconfirmed this.

2. On the sub front, I am strongly leaning towards buying a woofer and building the box on my own (of course with "divine intervention of Bhagwan-ji" ). For this, I am thinking of JBL GT5-12+sealed box.

Hope to also audition some SWWS and free air install over the weekend with SRS and Magma to filter down my choice.

3. If you badly want the 75.4, check the Classifieds section.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 21:50   #8321
BHPian
 
hrsraghav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 287
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
1. The Blau GT4 amp delivers about ~160-180 WRMS in bridged mode for the sub. While this may not be completely satisfying the sub, I believe it would do its job well. My requirement from the sub is to complement the front compos by delivering the low frequencies. (I do not have rear 6x9s). .
Well thats the case with me too, although i will be putting 4" or 5" Coaxials at rear also. And current front 6" compnents from Amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I do not intend to drive the sub to its maximum potential or want it to belt out ear shattering thumping bass.

The Pioneer 5050 has a maximum volume level till 62. I anyways listen to my system with a HU volume level of ~12-16 (windows rolled down) or ~6-10 (windows rolled up and wife next to me). Believe me, this volume level is quite adequate for my ears. Anything beyond 16 starts to suppress the surrounding noises (horn, cellphone ringer, car noise etc) - which may not be a safe thing to do.

Given the above, I do not think the 160-180 WRMS would be feeble to power the sub. Ofcourse, giving it 200+ WRMS would be a "nice-to-have", but I am really not bothered about it. My installer also reconfirmed this.
.
The Blaupunkt MP47 HU has volume level of 66 and i listen usually at levels of 47-52. And yess at this level, forget about other cars horns, i even cant hear my own car horn. Seems I am ICEFIED now. Although i like to hear all the components of music, but still i do prefer them at high level.
Can gurus comment on, as to how much volume level is safe for speakers without using amp. Like if a HU has 50 volume level then upto how much level the HU should be used to power the speakers directly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
2. On the sub front, I am strongly leaning towards buying a woofer and building the box on my own (of course with "divine intervention of Bhagwan-ji" ). For this, I am thinking of JBL GT5-12+sealed box.

Hope to also audition some SWWS and free air install over the weekend with SRS and Magma to filter down my choice.
He He He i got feeling that once this enclosure is finished you will increase the volume levels.
hrsraghav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 23:20   #8322
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,695
Thanked: 3,324 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Yes thats what I meant. If you want exactly the same features
THe primariy feature most of us are lookig for is often a particualr sound signature. Alpine seems to be able to provide this with decent A.S.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
Can gurus comment on, as to how much volume level is safe for speakers without using amp. Like if a HU has 50 volume level then upto how much level the HU should be used to power the speakers directly.
it is diffcult to quantify this because each speaker had a different sensitivity etc..but the thumb rule is that if you cannot hear your normal speach it is too loud. If you need to shout to be heard it is too loud. if you cannot hear your OWN horn is is definitely too loud. "Too Loud" means that prolonged (30mins +) exposure to these levels can damage your hearing. In my view, given the current level of technology, hearing loss is much more diffcult to compensate for (using surgery, corrective prosthesis, etc..) than loss of sight. In short BE CAREFUL.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 23:42   #8323
BHPian
 
adityamunshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Baroda
Posts: 771
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

There is no satisfactory treatment for sensorineural hearing loss, the kind caused by noise trauma. hearing aids can compensate only to a very limited extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
In my view, given the current level of technology, hearing loss is much more diffcult to compensate for (using surgery, corrective prosthesis, etc..) than loss of sight. In short BE CAREFUL.
adityamunshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 07:43   #8324
BHPian
 
hrsraghav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 287
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
it is diffcult to quantify this because each speaker had a different sensitivity etc..but the thumb rule is that if you cannot hear your normal speach it is too loud. If you need to shout to be heard it is too loud. if you cannot hear your OWN horn is is definitely too loud. "Too Loud" means that prolonged (30mins +) exposure to these levels can damage your hearing. In my view, given the current level of technology, hearing loss is much more diffcult to compensate for (using surgery, corrective prosthesis, etc..) than loss of sight. In short BE CAREFUL.
Although I was asking about safety of speakers, but will also surely take precaution for my ears too.
I goes upto volumes upto where speakers dont give cracking noises, like until lthey justify to the Signature sound without any distortion, i keep my volume level upto that. After that level the speakers starts cracking and give very unpleasant sound.
Another reason maybe, as I dont have Sub, so maybe to get the bass part from my 6" front components i require relatively more volume.
hrsraghav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 10:59   #8325
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,695
Thanked: 3,324 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsraghav View Post
Although I was asking about safety of speakers.
cone speakers (woofer and mids) will distort audibly when stressed, tweeters unfortunately die before audible distortion.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
sub enclosure advice from audio gurus clipto333 In-Car Entertainment 22 4th January 2007 11:29
Please Read This Thread *Before* Posting in the "What Car?" Section adya33 What Car? 0 12th July 2006 19:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks