Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2008, 14:25   #9091
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,679
Thanked: 1,024 Times
Default

correct procedure is to set the amp gain to lowest till only the main speakers are heard. then raise the gains till the sub is loud enough to fill the lack of bass from the main speakers. the audiophile setting is a notch lower than this level. since we all like our subs loud and audible, a bit higher setting is forgiveable

the basic assumption is that the sub and speakers sound similar - this is hard to accomplish with a bass tube since the bass is slow and boomy, and hard to integrate with a the fast and agile bass from the main speakers
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 14:33   #9092
BHPian
 
drvhplyevraftr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 306
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Thank you GreenHorn. I will try it this way. Currently the way it is setup is such that all the bass is coming from the front/rear speakers itself and no real use of the sub or in other words the sub really doesnt seem to make any difference. I will change it to a sealed box and see the difference. Thank you.
drvhplyevraftr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 15:29   #9093
Senior - BHPian
 
Ajaybiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,354
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

After installing sub other spekers should used only for Mid and High range better leave it to good installer they will take care of HPF LPF settings in both AMP and head unit to tune it in proper way.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 15:44   #9094
BHPian
 
drvhplyevraftr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 306
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
After installing sub other spekers should used only for Mid and High range better leave it to good installer they will take care of HPF LPF settings in both AMP and head unit to tune it in proper way.
If only I can find a good installer. Anyways, when you say mid and high range about what frequency level should it be. I have the HPF frequency set to about 50 - 60 hz for the front/rear speakers.

Lets say I leave the front/rear speakers at about 60 hz. What should I target the frequency range for the sub?. In other words how do I make sure that the system is setup for the entire frequency range that can be audible to human ear?.
drvhplyevraftr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 17:19   #9095
BHPian
 
arpandiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 428
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipt123
Thank you for the clarification, have one more doubt- can a high power co-ax of 4" -say JBL GT5- S204 be powered by the amp without damaging the speakers.
Which JBL's do you suggest for the rear? (947's or 938's) and finally which is a decent wiring kit? (should I go for a 4ga or 8ga).
1) You can power Co-ax with amps. However as i said in your case its better to put components in front.
2) JBL 6x9s are good 947 is a later model but 938s would be available at a cheaper price. Illusion EL693 can also be looked at.
3)Wiring kit, well if you have plans of mono block etc then go in for a 4AWG wiring, later on when you add another amp you would not need to change your wiring. Rather then buying a wiring kit, why not install wiring, RCA cables seprately. RCA cables would cost you 500-1000 (for a pair )
arpandiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 20:55   #9096
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,679
Thanked: 1,024 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
After installing sub other spekers should used only for Mid and High range better leave it to good installer they will take care of HPF LPF settings in both AMP and head unit to tune it in proper way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
If only I can find a good installer. Anyways, when you say mid and high range about what frequency level should it be. I have the HPF frequency set to about 50 - 60 hz for the front/rear speakers.

Lets say I leave the front/rear speakers at about 60 hz. What should I target the frequency range for the sub?. In other words how do I make sure that the system is setup for the entire frequency range that can be audible to human ear?.
if your door is well damped and there are no rattles, let the HPF/LPF be at 60 or 80. else push it higher to about 100~120
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 23:49   #9097
BHPian
 
drvhplyevraftr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 306
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
if your door is well damped and there are no rattles, let the HPF/LPF be at 60 or 80. else push it higher to about 100~120
Thank you. That would take care of the HPF settings for the front/rear speakers. What should be the settings for the sub?. I mean the LPF crossover on the HU and the LPF frequency on the monoblock and the
HPF setting on the monoblock.

Thank you and wish everyone a very happy 2009.
drvhplyevraftr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 02:43   #9098
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,679
Thanked: 1,024 Times
Default

HPF frequency of fronts = LPF frequency of sub
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 08:35   #9099
BHPian
 
drvhplyevraftr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 306
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
HPF frequency of fronts = LPF frequency of sub
I am sorry but I am not able to understand this statement. Can you please let me know what should I keep the crossover on the HU and the LPF frequency and HPF frequency on the monoblock amp connected to the sub assuming that the HPF frequency is set to 80 Hz on the amp connected to the front and rear speakers.

Thank you.
drvhplyevraftr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 08:49   #9100
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,679
Thanked: 1,024 Times
Default

the cutoff frequency is the frequency where you decide the bass stops going to the main speakers , and goes to the sub. Ideally the HPF and LPF needs to be set only at one place - either the HU or Amp, whichever offers better control - more info here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...hu-vs-amp.html

If you've chosen the frequency as 80 hz , set the LPF for the monoblock to 80, and the HPF on the HU/ amp which drives the fronts and rears to 80 as well. if you want , you can set it a bit lower so that the frequency ranges overlap to help with the bass integration, but 80 hz is low enough. If you had chosen it at 100 for the sub, we could have tried 80 for the fronts.

Either way, the ideal case is , as I mentioned before , HPF frequency of fronts = LPF frequency of the sub, ie , where the bass stops going to the sub, it should start going to the fronts.

if HPF of fronts <=LPF frequency, then there is a bit of overlap where both the sub and speakers work, before the speakers take over

I cant make it any more simpler than this
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 10:10   #9101
BHPian
 
drvhplyevraftr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 306
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
the cutoff frequency is the frequency where you decide the bass stops going to the main speakers , and goes to the sub. Ideally the HPF and LPF needs to be set only at one place - either the HU or Amp, whichever offers better control - more info here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...hu-vs-amp.html

If you've chosen the frequency as 80 hz , set the LPF for the monoblock to 80, and the HPF on the HU/ amp which drives the fronts and rears to 80 as well. if you want , you can set it a bit lower so that the frequency ranges overlap to help with the bass integration, but 80 hz is low enough. If you had chosen it at 100 for the sub, we could have tried 80 for the fronts.

Either way, the ideal case is , as I mentioned before , HPF frequency of fronts = LPF frequency of the sub, ie , where the bass stops going to the sub, it should start going to the fronts.

if HPF of fronts <=LPF frequency, then there is a bit of overlap where both the sub and speakers work, before the speakers take over

I cant make it any more simpler than this
Thank you for taking your time to explain this.

The problem has been because of different terminologies used in different HUs. For instance my HU has HPF with 2 options (Thru and ON). There is nothing called LPF. There is something called crossover with 3 options (80, 120 and 150). Had there been an HPF, LPF OFF options on the HU, I would have set it to OFF and tried different settings on the AMPs.

Anyways I will set my HPF to Through on the HU and set it to 80 hz on the amp connected to the front/rear speakers. I will set the crossover to 120 hz on the HU (available options are 80, 120, 150). From your post this would mean 80 - 120 hz is played both by the sub and the speakers.

I also see a HPF knob on the monoblock and this is currently set to around 30 Hz.

So, if I understand my current setup correctly, it should play 30 Hz and above. 30 - 120 being played by the sub. 80 Hz and above played by the front/rear speakers. The sub and speakers both play the 80 - 120 Hz range.

Please let me know if my assumption is correct. Thank you very much once again for your time.
drvhplyevraftr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 10:50   #9102
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,679
Thanked: 1,024 Times
Default

your HU has a combined HPF/LPF. when you set High pass filter to ON, the HPF output goes to the speakers, and the LPF output goes to the sub. the Crossover setting lets you change at which frequency this happens , and independent HPF/LPF control is not possible via the HU. the HPF and LPF frequencies are always the same, and there will be no overlap.
Your options
1. use the crossover on the HU. Set High pass filter on your HU to to 80 or 120
set the HPF on the amp driving the speakers to the same frequency you've set at the HU or lesser ( i hope you are aware that the scale is not linear). If you are not sure, put it at the minimum position
set the LPF on the amp driving the sub to the the same frequency you've set at the HU or greater. if not sure , set it to max

2. Use the crossovers on the amp. Set the High pass filter on your HU to Through.
Turn off/disconnect the sub. set the HPF of the amp running the speakers to the required frequency (60~100- your choice). alternately, to use a rule of thumb, set it to the max frequency at which the woofer of the comps can handle the bass cleanly and without rattling or distortion.

then turn the sub amp's LPF frequency to the same frequency or slightly higher , and set the level to which the bass is just adequate , but not overpowering.

This is AS simple as I can make this. If you need more handholding, I suggest you get professional ( as in ICE ) help

PS: you seriously are making me jealous. You have an HU with TA, and cant even figure out how to set the crossovers. My HU is so basic it doesnt even have an LPF , and my amps crossover is fixed at 80 :(

Last edited by greenhorn : 1st January 2009 at 10:56.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 11:53   #9103
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,866 Times
Default

There, there, greenie-kutti, don't fret! The best music comes from a system that has the least interposing elements between the signal source and the speakers. You are better off without whatever you don't have.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 12:35   #9104
BHPian
 
drvhplyevraftr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 306
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
PS: you seriously are making me jealous. You have an HU with TA, and cant even figure out how to set the crossovers. My HU is so basic it doesnt even have an LPF , and my amps crossover is fixed at 80 :(
Thank you once again. The TA on the AVX 44 does not make any wonders but that is another topic for an another day. Speaking of jealous, I was actually planning to buy a P80RSII or Alpine 9887 but some one in this forum adviced me not to looking at the other equipments I have in the system. Imagine the number of questions I would have had, had I bought either one of those two. Anyways, thank you once again.

Most importantly, these discussions have been of good learning to me.

Last edited by drvhplyevraftr : 1st January 2009 at 12:41.
drvhplyevraftr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 12:44   #9105
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,679
Thanked: 1,024 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
There, there, greenie-kutti, don't fret! The best music comes from a system that has the least interposing elements between the signal source and the speakers. You are better off without whatever you don't have.
Grrrr@ Deralte ( especially if the kutti usage was intended - you do know that kutti is feminine and kutta ( in malayalam, to avoid ambiguity ) is masculine)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Thank you once again. The TA on the AVX 44 does not make any wonders but that is another topic for an another day. Speaking of jealous, I was actually planning to buy a P80RSII or Alpine 9887 but some one in this forum adviced me not to looking at the other equipments I have in the system. Imagine the number of questions I would have had, had I bought either one of those two. Anyways, thank you once again.
heh, you need to get a better sub first. and the AVX 44 is a fine HU.
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
sub enclosure advice from audio gurus clipto333 In-Car Entertainment 22 4th January 2007 11:29
Please Read This Thread *Before* Posting in the "What Car?" Section adya33 What Car? 0 12th July 2006 19:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks