Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2005, 15:56   #976
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 27 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

as far as my knowledge goes i remember sam quoting in a different thread that the jvc 2-din system wasnt that good,but he said the sony 2-din was better in comparison..trust me u would want to take sams word, for he knows what he says..so why dont u look around for the sony and kenwood systems too..and in these days of mp3s,vcds,dvds(whats a cassette?)..if u got old tapes u can get them converted to cds(all might fit in a single mp3 cd) and instead of spending on a 2din u can make better use on something else..this is my personal opinion though but u got to decide on what u need..we give u options but its u who takes a pick in the end..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2005, 18:03   #977
BHPian
 
SoundManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 163
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Ok! so JVC double din is not that good. So, we should leave it guess. Sony's got a double din but has no MP3 capability. Pioneer has one but it works out costlier than a good cassette player and a cd changer coupled.

That leaves which combo of Cassette Head Unit and CD changer or just an MP3 CD Changer (Chuking the cassette out.) Lets explore the latter

I want a cassette player coz I listen to a lot of commentaries by Osho and SN Goenka on the cassette tape. These tapes I borrow from a library. Now if i can get them converted to an MP3 disc - yeah it sounds nice. Then I can go with may be a good Alpine HU and pump in more money for the amp and the sub.

But howmuch would converting the tape to MP3 cost. Can you give me an idea?
SoundManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2005, 19:00   #978
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 27 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundManiac

But how much would converting the tape to MP3 cost. Can you give me an idea?
well as far as my knowledge goes it wont cost you more than 200 or 300 bucks to get all ur stuff on tape converted into mp3 format on a single cd..but not many do these kind of conversions,so u got to search..it makes sense to go in for a better HU either from alpine or sony(the 9900 and 7810 series seem to be good)..i would suggest against going in for pioneers as they are not legally marketed in india,bcoz paying that much and god forbids if something goes wrong u wont be able to claim back a single dime..still better u can go in for a not so great a HU as the alpines or the sony high ends but upgrade ur system by going in for a good subwoofer and an amplifier..i bet sam,naveen and aseem will have lot more stuff to tell u in technicality..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2005, 19:27   #979
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,735
Thanked: 414 Times
Default

Hi SoundManiac,
I have just reached Delhi so a bit tired, jet lag I will write in depth later tonight, however just to let you know most JVC systems available under 10k in Indian market suck in audio quality. Please go through the complete thread and you will find out why we discourage ovals in the rear and focus more on the components in the front.
Mc Laren great going behind my back. You are picking up this stuff very nicely. Sam will tell you to power all the 4 speakers however I dont neccesarily agree with it. As I believe in soundstaging from the front. If you use a single 4 channel amp and use two channels to parallel connect the 4 speakers than you cant use fader. If you cant use fader, than the fronts and rear are throwing the same volume... there goes sound staging in the dustbin. So in cases where people want to power all their four speakers through amp, I recommend buying two amps. One 4 channel for the four speakers, and one two channel for the woofer. In any case I am very impressed by your quick learning.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2005, 20:35   #980
BHPian
 
amitverma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 346
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Couple of quick things: AJAY, I am so sorry when you came by i was busy with the chief guest, I then looked for you everywhere! didnt see you.
u meant "Amit" right...?
anyways, since u were a little busy with the crew we went checking the rest of the show.
Well the JVC stall took most of our tme with their new camcorder.
i returned to the JBL stall. took a look at all those brilliant columns and turntable [man, i was so tempted to scratch... ], saw u were busy talking with this guy which i have suddenly realised was manticore....
i thought i'll see u later but couldnt get a hold of u...
actually, we spent atleast 20 mins outside with the eyeballer waiting if u would show up [read: my uncle was smoking], there came a bunch of young college folks came into see the eyeballer. well as the veteran there, i explained them what all was fitted and also abt the power cable hanging out of the rear door...
they were looking quite stunned to see that whole setup in the ride.
all was fine until one of them explained to his friends that the freeflow fitted behind was just a mere exhaust tip and how it was spoiling the appearance of the car.
there stepped Uncle Eyeballer to explain to them what the heck it was. man, wish u'd been there to look at the face of that guy....!

btw, i was also hoping to drop by on monday. if its fine please tell me the time u'll be free....thanks!
amitverma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2005, 23:30   #981
Senior - BHPian
 
k_ajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,152
Thanked: 443 Times
Default

Wowwie... I'm finally done with everything on my car [and inside it] and the setup rocksssss...... And trust me, the Alpine 9833 HU is Aaaaaaamazing.... Navin, you're one lucky man to be having it for such a long time.... Its loaded...

Bass is hot on the 936zz... and clarity is also wonderful....

One thing.. I'm left with the Belden wires as my installer didn't use it.... [ ] and so I can give it to neone who wants it.... I got it frm b'lore JBL s/room, for 65 bucks a meter, and 20 of it... Should anyone want it, PM me, willing to sell it....

For those who'd like to know the system setup:

JBL 936e Ovals
JBL 506e Components
Alpine CDA 9833 HU
=============>> AWESOME!!!
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2005, 23:34   #982
Senior - BHPian
 
k_ajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,152
Thanked: 443 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
the BEST feeling in the world na?
My soul today will sleep in peace..... Sam
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2005, 00:03   #983
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 27 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

congrats ajay on ur purchase..yup the alpine HU is really worth every penny..btw how come no subs..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2005, 02:16   #984
BHPian
 
zzzehar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Amritsar/Madras
Posts: 258
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Hi Zehar, I have the Sony 5510 in my Santro and its a decent VFM system. Like I stated earlier, Sony HU's sound better than Pioneer, however the Pioneer HU's look better. Although 5510 is a very decent sober looking unit. So based on whether you want to impress your freinds with dolphins (Pioneer ) or just have good music (Sony), you can make a decision. In the Santro I went for 5510, in my Swift I was contemplating the Pioneer 6750 for 7.5k but ended up getting the Sony 8800 for 13k. Sony 8800 has dolphins too best of both worlds eh eh!
The difference between 5510 and 5610 is nominal. So go for either.
Regarding the speakers in Santro, I went for Blankpunt 4 inch fronts and Pioneer 4 channel in the rear. Blankpunt costed 1200 and Pioneer costed around 3k.
However it was a very bad decision to go for the speakers mentioned above. I WONT recommend them to anyone. At that time my brother had got it done in one day! The Blankpunt are so shrill, its like they are made for BATS! They virtually eat my brain out! The pioneers are ok.
However if I was to go for a setup for 12k this is what I would do now:

1) Use Sony HU for 5.5k
2) Front components JBL/Boston/Sony of 5": 4-5k
3) Any co-axial in the rear for around : 2k

Always remember that contrary to the common misconception, one should always have better speakers in the fronts than the rears.

So this makes your total budget to 12k

First upgrade:
1) Sony 504Z 4 channel amp for 4k

Second upgrade:
1) A subwoofer for the bass from 3k onwards

Third uprade:
1) Change the damn car damn it!!!
hi Aseem,
thanks for ur reply. Just wanted to clarify one more thing here
What if I don't got for Comps in the front, and Instead Go in for High powered speakers say (For Example) Pioneer 6991 - 80W RMS/100W RMS with a 4 channel amplifier with which I can attach a subwoofer later on when I hv the money?
Suggest the speakers costing around 3500 INR and Amp around Rs 3000?
As for HU I will probably stick with Sony 5510/5610, What do you say? as the JBL comps are costing 5.5K don't u think that getting things amplified for the same amount of money would be a better Idea? And any other comps that u can suggest for price less than what JBL is offering without compromising in Sound Quality? Thank you sooo much. And even if I am getting the Pioneer, I am looking at 5750 that doesn't hv Dolphins, hehehe

Others are most welcome for their valuable inputs, thnks

Last edited by zzzehar : 5th September 2005 at 02:20.
zzzehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2005, 02:43   #985
BHPian
 
SoundManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 163
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Ok guys! so, I've Finally chuked the JVC Double din.
And Aseem, I'll be waiting for your mail - you said you will be writing a detailed one.

One more clarification though arising from your mail - Powering two front compos, and two rear ovals would not give me fader control? **** then I wouldn't want that.

How would it be if i go for JBL Compos in the front, and just the sub in the rear, all powered by a 4 channel amp (Budget is tight you see. )

Waiting for your opinion.

And for K_Ajay:
Congrats man.

But I couldn't see any amp in your config. If I'm not wrong JBL 936 are rated RMS 100 and 506 compos at 50W Rms. Is the power of the head unit enough to drive these speakers?I'm new to this car audio thing you see, but am just curious

Also, Can you give the prices at which you got these?

PS. Look at the crazy things this forum makes people do. Its 2:40 am, and Im posting on the forum. All for the love of sound!!!
SoundManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2005, 03:12   #986
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 27 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundManiac
One more clarification though arising from your mail - Powering two front compos, and two rear ovals would not give me fader control? **** then I wouldn't want that.

How would it be if i go for JBL Compos in the front, and just the sub in the rear, all powered by a 4 channel amp (Budget is tight you see. )

PS. Look at the crazy things this forum makes people do. Its 2:40 am, and Im posting on the forum. All for the love of sound!!!
well yes u would surely loose out on the fader if the components and the ovals are bridged to the front channel of the amplifier..so u got to take a pic whether u can put up without the fader or no..and as u said ur budget is really tight, so i guess u will obviously loose out on something,the fader in this case.. cant have everything and yet keep ur wallet thick at the same time..so take a pick regarding the fader..
secondly u can go in for only the components in the front and chuck out the rears but this will lead to more front staging as aseem puts it,thats the way he loves it i suppose but sams views differs on this point..sam believes in a more balanced setup throughout isnt it sam and does not advise front staging totally??again u got to take a pick on this..u heard what both the experts think and their difference in opinion,so u got to go in with sounds better to u and what suits u the best keepin ur budget into consideration too..
PS:this forum does make u do really crazy things,log in at any time be it morning,noon,night,3,4 or 5 in the morning and ul find atleast 10 people logged in..so its only u thats crazy we all are!!!
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2005, 03:41   #987
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 27 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar
Just wanted to clarify one more thing here
What if I don't got for Comps in the front, and Instead Go in for High powered speakers say (For Example) Pioneer 6991 - 80W RMS/100W RMS with a 4 channel amplifier with which I can attach a subwoofer later on when I hv the money?
Suggest the speakers costing around 3500 INR and Amp around Rs 3000?
As for HU I will probably stick with Sony 5510/5610, What do you say? as the JBL comps are costing 5.5K don't u think that getting things amplified for the same amount of money would be a better Idea? And any other comps that u can suggest for price less than what JBL is offering without compromising in Sound Quality? Thank you sooo much. And even if I am getting the Pioneer, I am looking at 5750 that doesn't hv Dolphins, hehehe

Others are most welcome for their valuable inputs, thnks
for the 1st part u can go in for the pioneer 6991(460W,5-way i guess) but as far as my knowledge goes u still need an amplifier to power these coaxials too bcoz the HU cant drive them to their true potential by any chance..and are u plaaning to use these in the front or the back..yup u can go in for 6991 and a 4 channel amp and later plonk in a sub..but if ur using the coaxials there is another problem..well if u know the basic setup of coxials its midrange,tweeter and the woofer all mounted on the same axis but in components each part is separate and each part performs to its best to give crystal clear clarity,so its better to opt for components over the coaxials and are really worth that extra bit u spend on them..

regarding the HU u can stick to sony 5610/5510 as they are pretty reasonable and perform well..i suggest not to go in for pioneer unless u know a very reliable source,if not forget the dolphins ul have butterflies running around in ur wallet if something goes wrong with the pioneers and cant get it serviced..insist for bill and warranty as sam says..

thirdly u do get components for a lesser price than the JBLs from sony but the disadvantage with the sony ones is that they dont have an external crossover like the JBL..u can try boston though..A crossover limits the range of frequencies sent to a speaker, in another words its sends the highs to your tweeters, midrange to your midwoofers and low bass to your sub effectively which is not the case in the sony components due to the lack of it in the base models..

so i suggest u go in for front components from JBL/boston,a 4ch amp and a woofer..later u can add rear coaxials and connect them in parallel to the front components to the front channel of the amplifier(u will loose out on fader control though) and the sub to the rear channel..or else buy components,coaxials and an amp and later buy a sub when budget permits..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2005, 04:08   #988
BHPian
 
zzzehar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Amritsar/Madras
Posts: 258
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
for the 1st part u can go in for the pioneer 6991(460W,5-way i guess) but as far as my knowledge goes u still need an amplifier to power these coaxials too bcoz the HU cant drive them to their true potential by any chance..and are u plaaning to use these in the front or the back..yup u can go in for 6991 and a 4 channel amp and later plonk in a sub..but if ur using the coaxials there is another problem..well if u know the basic setup of coxials its midrange,tweeter and the woofer all mounted on the same axis but in components each part is separate and each part performs to its best to give crystal clear clarity,so its better to opt for components over the coaxials and are really worth that extra bit u spend on them..

regarding the HU u can stick to sony 5610/5510 as they are pretty reasonable and perform well..i suggest not to go in for pioneer unless u know a very reliable source,if not forget the dolphins ul have butterflies running around in ur wallet if something goes wrong with the pioneers and cant get it serviced..insist for bill and warranty as sam says..

thirdly u do get components for a lesser price than the JBLs from sony but the disadvantage with the sony ones is that they dont have an external crossover like the JBL..u can try boston though..A crossover limits the range of frequencies sent to a speaker, in another words its sends the highs to your tweeters, midrange to your midwoofers and low bass to your sub effectively which is not the case in the sony components due to the lack of it in the base models..

so i suggest u go in for front components from JBL/boston,a 4ch amp and a woofer..later u can add rear coaxials and connect them in parallel to the front components to the front channel of the amplifier(u will loose out on fader control though) and the sub to the rear channel..or else buy components,coaxials and an amp and later buy a sub when budget permits..
Thank you MCLAREN for ur inputs but I guess it kind of confused me even more
as my budget of Rs 12000 permits I can only go in either for Sony HU, 4 channel AMP and Rear Co Axials. On the other hand I can go for Front JBL components and Sony HU with a filler set of rears for around Rs 1500-2000. Now tell me what do you suggest?

As this is my first car and my first system, I want a Gud sounding system within my budget. Moreover for JBL or other comps I will have to cut out the door as this is a Daewoo Matizz with 4" available for fronts.

And GUESS WHAT? I am a proud "BHPian" with this being my 51st Post :::---))))

Last edited by zzzehar : 5th September 2005 at 04:09.
zzzehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2005, 04:35   #989
BANNED
 
mclaren1885's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore (the city of modded cars) !!
Posts: 4,821
Thanked: 27 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzehar
Thank you MCLAREN for ur inputs but I guess it kind of confused me even more
as my budget of Rs 12000 permits I can only go in either for Sony HU, 4 channel AMP and Rear Co Axials. On the other hand I can go for Front JBL components and Sony HU with a filler set of rears for around Rs 1500-2000. Now tell me what do you suggest?

As this is my first car and my first system, I want a Gud sounding system within my budget. Moreover for JBL or other comps I will have to cut out the door as this is a Daewoo Matizz with 4" available for fronts.

And GUESS WHAT? I am a proud "BHPian" with this being my 51st Post :::---))))

haha happens even im just two days old to this in car entertainment thread..never knew anything about audio systems till then,but have learnt a bit under the guidance of sam and aseem..even i was confused in the beginning so dont worry..will try and make it simple..

i suggest u go in for the JBL comps for the front and sony 5510 HU along with a 4ch amp to run the comps(sam and aseem hope my advise is right)..this will cost u 5+6+4=15k for a good setup..bet u aseem will agree for this setup..

on the other hand Sony HU, 4 channel AMP and Rear Co Axials will cost u 6+4+2.5=12.5..so thats a difference of 2.5k over the above setup with components..

i prefer u go in for the 15k setup purely because the effect of the components is way better than the coaxials any day..u need to cut the side pods of ur car for the JBLs but its worth the effort..more over its better u invest 5k for the components now only bcoz it will be easier for u later to buy rear coaxials in the future by just paying about 2.5k,wont feel like a burden at the time u want to upgrade..if u buy rear coaxials now and later feel like buying components in the future ul think twice before for spending 5k..so go for the components now only as this is 1st system go for a better setup..still cofused???sorry cant put it in a much simpler way..yet if ur confused pls tell me il try again..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2005, 04:53   #990
BHPian
 
zzzehar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Amritsar/Madras
Posts: 258
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
haha happens even im just two days old to this in car entertainment thread..never knew anything about audio systems till then,but have learnt a bit under the guidance of sam and aseem..even i was confused in the beginning so dont worry..will try and make it simple..

i suggest u go in for the JBL comps for the front and sony 5510 HU along with a 4ch amp to run the comps(sam and aseem hope my advise is right)..this will cost u 5+6+4=15k for a good setup..bet u aseem will agree for this setup..

on the other hand Sony HU, 4 channel AMP and Rear Co Axials will cost u 6+4+2.5=12.5..so thats a difference of 2.5k over the above setup with components..

i prefer u go in for the 15k setup purely because the effect of the components is way better than the coaxials any day..u need to cut the side pods of ur car for the JBLs but its worth the effort..more over its better u invest 5k for the components now only bcoz it will be easier for u later to buy rear coaxials in the future by just paying about 2.5k,wont feel like a burden at the time u want to upgrade..if u buy rear coaxials now and later feel like buying components in the future ul think twice before for spending 5k..so go for the components now only as this is 1st system go for a better setup..still cofused???sorry cant put it in a much simpler way..yet if ur confused pls tell me il try again..
Hahahahaha, Thank you soooooo much for ur reply McLaren, rest all of them seem to be asleep today
I have tried my best to understand the setup and It seems I will have to listen to JBL comps 2moro and then decide what do I want.
BTW I am quoting the prices I am getting stuff for :

1. Sony 5510/5610 HU - Rs 5400
2. Pioneer 6991 100W RMS 5 Way Co Axials - Rs 3500
3. A/D/S 4 Channel Amp - Rs 3400

So lemme check out JBL's 2moro and will let u know. And Dear u explained in the best way possible, Its just that things don't get into my head easily ;-)
So where are you and what are u doin so late? (In the Morning )
zzzehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
sub enclosure advice from audio gurus clipto333 In-Car Entertainment 22 4th January 2007 11:29
Please Read This Thread *Before* Posting in the "What Car?" Section adya33 What Car? 0 12th July 2006 19:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks