Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2010, 21:16   #9976
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 719
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

Hi
I own a
1. PIONEER DEH 4850MPH Head Unit
2. Circular (small ones) Pioneer speakers in front doors
3. Oval (bigger ones) Pioneer speakers on rear parcel tray

Can anybody list me the Audio settings for the following type of sound-
I listen to many of MJ's hits and classical rock. Hip-hop and good bassy songs too. I need powerful settings for Audio although I know the speakers would be strained but I will keep the volumes under control.
Thanks in anticipation.
abhipuru16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:40   #9977
BHPian
 
donarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: chennai
Posts: 345
Thanked: 17 Times
Default speaker placements

Do all speakers need to have enclosure to perform better.
Usually in a compact car two speakers (all sizes) are placed on a mdf planks (refer to 1st part of attachment). This way when the hatch is in closed position, the setup resembles that of speakers placed on a compressed box


Will it be possible to get the same kinda o/p if the mdf plank is designed this way (refer to 2nd part of attachment) i.e. 2 separate peices of planks clamped on to the rear columns (support from one side only) and no plank in the middle. This way there would no box sought of compression.
Attached Files
File Type: doc speaker placements.doc (27.5 KB, 323 views)
donarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 18:11   #9978
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Goa
Posts: 93
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Hi,
I need to fit a fairly simple System In my Vista. The Panel is too weak for speakers and in any case it has to be easily removable so I'll stick to door speakers. Not too much into branded or high quality stuff... just need music plain and simple.So Gentlemen do help me out here....
boohooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 23:39   #9979
BHPian
 
nvc_4125's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Surat
Posts: 40
Thanked: Once
Default

hi,
i am Neerav Chavan From SUrat.
I booked swift and looking for a ice up it.
i shortlisted 2 head unit one is from pioneer DEH-P7150UB and second one is from Kenwood Excelon KDC-X693.
my range is 12 k for HU.
nvc_4125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 10:30   #9980
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,970
Thanked: 3,505 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvc_4125 View Post
i shortlisted 2 head unit one is from pioneer DEH-P7150UB and second one is from Kenwood Excelon KDC-X693.
my range is 12 k for HU.
Both are very good HUs have you heard either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohooper View Post
The Panel is too weak for speakers and in any case it has to be easily removable so I'll stick to door speakers..
You can always add a subwoofer and amplifier in your boot later if you want more bass.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 11:07   #9981
BHPian
 
drvhplyevraftr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 305
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvc_4125 View Post
hi,
i am Neerav Chavan From SUrat.
I booked swift and looking for a ice up it.
i shortlisted 2 head unit one is from pioneer DEH-P7150UB and second one is from Kenwood Excelon KDC-X693.
my range is 12 k for HU.
Hi:

I dont have any experience with P7150UB but I recently upgraded from JVC AVX44 to X7013U (same as X693) and all I can say is that it sounds awesome. Highly recommend it.

Gurus:

On the X7013U, for the LPF/HPF setting, there is an option to set the slope. The options are -6db, -12db, -18db, -24db. What would be the best slope option for the front/rear/subwoofer?.

I dont like shrill/harsh sound. I would like to hear mellow/soft sound.
Any suggestions?.

Thank you.
drvhplyevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 11:11   #9982
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,970
Thanked: 3,505 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
there is an option to set the slope. The options are -6db, -12db, -18db, -24db. What would be the best slope option for the front/rear/subwoofer?.
Start with 12db and then try 18db. You should find one of these work well.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 13:24   #9983
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,068
Thanked: 2,866 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
... i.e. 2 separate peices of planks clamped on to the rear columns (support from one side only) ...
Difficult to visualize, @donarun, since there are no clues regarding which rectangle is what and which are the C-pillars and hatch.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 14:08   #9984
BHPian
 
drvhplyevraftr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 305
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Start with 12db and then try 18db. You should find one of these work well.
Thank you Navin.

So, first I should try front, rear and sub to -12db and try
front, rear and sub to -18 db and retain the one that sounds
better isnt?.

Also what kind of difference can I expect to hear by changing
the slope?. In other words, in what way will changing the slope
make a difference?.

For instance, will a -12 db slope sound more mellow than a -18 db
slope or vice versa?.

The reason I am asking is because, for some of these settings,
it is hard to distinguish the difference by listening to just a song
or two.
drvhplyevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 17:33   #9985
BHPian
 
drvhplyevraftr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 305
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Thank you Navin.

So, first I should try front, rear and sub to -12db and try
front, rear and sub to -18 db and retain the one that sounds
better isnt?.

Also what kind of difference can I expect to hear by changing
the slope?. In other words, in what way will changing the slope
make a difference?.

For instance, will a -12 db slope sound more mellow than a -18 db
slope or vice versa?.

The reason I am asking is because, for some of these settings,
it is hard to distinguish the difference by listening to just a song
or two.
OK. I did some search on the net and understood few things about setting the slope. Anyways what would be the best HPF/Slope setting for the front/rear and LPF/slope setting for the sub so that I do not miss out on any frequency and there is not too much of a overlap that might be result in a boomy response.

I am inclined to set the sub LPF at 80hz and slope at 18db and the front/rear HPF at 100 or 120hz and slope at 12db. Will it meet the above criteria that I wanted?.

Please let me know. Thank you.
drvhplyevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 23:39   #9986
Senior - BHPian
 
abhibh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Back in the HOOD near you!
Posts: 2,767
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
OK. I did some search on the net and understood few things about setting the slope. Anyways what would be the best HPF/Slope setting for the front/rear and LPF/slope setting for the sub so that I do not miss out on any frequency and there is not too much of a overlap that might be result in a boomy response.

I am inclined to set the sub LPF at 80hz and slope at 18db and the front/rear HPF at 100 or 120hz and slope at 12db. Will it meet the above criteria that I wanted?.

Please let me know. Thank you.
Depends a lot upon your equipment too. Best way to do it is listen to songs over and over again at different settings and see what suits you best!
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 09:56   #9987
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,970
Thanked: 3,505 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
So, first I should try front, rear and sub to -12db and try
front, rear and sub to -18 db and retain the one that sounds
better isnt?.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
I am inclined to set the sub LPF at 80hz and slope at 18db and the front/rear HPF at 100 or 120hz and slope at 12db. Will it meet the above criteria that I wanted?.
1. We cant tell what you want, only you can. So use your ears and the "stuff" between them.

2. Dont be afraid to mix slopes. I'd try 12db @ 63Hz on the front and 18db @ 80hz on the rear and sub for example. It depends on many factors for the front and rear it also depends on how much excursion the woofers can handle. What about overlap between 63 and 80Hz? Dont worry. Road noise masks frequencies between 60 and 80Hz. So you mgiht find that by pushing the front midbass to 80Hz you do not get enough midbass.

Now one more variables creeeps in. Car cabin gain . Car cabins tend to have a lot of gain in the subwoofer area. So you will find that if you turn the subwofoer up too much it will overpower the rest of your system. This might sound fun at first but can get tiring over long sessions.

BTW most probably the XO you have is not L-R but Butterworth. Butterworth filters if XOed at the same frequency (say you crossed the front and sub at 80 Hz) tend to give you a small hump at XO frequency. By Staggering the crossover points you might end up with a flatter response.

In sohrt do not be afraid to experiment. The possibilities are endless.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 10:57   #9988
BHPian
 
drvhplyevraftr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 305
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
1. We cant tell what you want, only you can. So use your ears and the "stuff" between them.


In sohrt do not be afraid to experiment. The possibilities are endless.
Very true. I will have to trust my ears. I am not afraid of experimenting but my only concern is not to damage the speakers/sub as I may not be in a position to replace equally good speakers/sub if something happens to them. Whatever I have in my car have been bought over a period of time. I know this would be the case with most of us.

Anyways since you are not giving a word of caution, I assume it should be relatively OK to experiment provided I dont do these experiments at a relatively high volume and for a very long period of time.

Thank you.
drvhplyevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 12:32   #9989
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,970
Thanked: 3,505 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Very true. I will have to trust my ears.

Anyways since you are not giving a word of caution, I assume it should be relatively OK to experiment provided I dont do these experiments at a relatively high volume and for a very long period of time.
You got it! Fantastic.

An hour with your system will teach you more than 5 hours of reading TBHP's ICE section or any other audio forum.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 11:38   #9990
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hyderabad/Blr
Posts: 635
Thanked: 133 Times
Default

Here is my Stock Music system of my ANHC, Alpine HU with speakers in front and back and Tweeters.

Earlier i was thinking to change all the speakers and also install subs. But i feel front speakers are not Bad and tweeters are also good. Is it a good idea to just go to 2 Channel amplifier with Subs? and let the stock speaker remain as it is? Please let me know.
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
sub enclosure advice from audio gurus clipto333 In-Car Entertainment 22 4th January 2007 11:29
Please Read This Thread *Before* Posting in the "What Car?" Section adya33 What Car? 0 12th July 2006 19:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks