Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 21st September 2011, 13:14   #11056
BHPian

Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

A friend of mine needs more bass in his Wagon R on a budget. Currently he has a blaupunkt basstube (225 watt rms, 4 ohms) being powered by bridged rear channels of a sony xplod 4 channel amp (which I assume is in the region of 100-125 watt rms, max). While he was happy with the set up earlier, after listening to my type r sub, he now wants more bass than what he has. Since he has a budget of 10-15,000 bucks, a mono block + sub + enclosure + dual amp power kit is ruled out. That leaves us with these 2 options-

1. Retain the basstube, add a mono block that gives approx. 225-250 watts rms at 4 ohms.
Brand New Renegade REN850S | eBay

2. Ditch the basstube and get a Rockford amplified enclosure (R300-12, 300watt rms)
Brand New Rockford R300-12 | eBay

What so you guys recommend? The first option costs 6000 bucks while the rockford enclosre costs 13,000 bucks. Will the 2nd option be substantially louder to justify spending twice as much?

And, yes, he understands that none of these options will sound like the type R sub being powered by mrp-m500, but as long as it's reasonably louder, he will be happy.

Thanks
Astleviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 13:47   #11057
BHPian

Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekmakeslove View Post
hi,

Could someone help me with better VFM
Xplod XS-GTX150LE,JBL CS 1215 in a box, JBL GT-X1250T or Pioneer TS-W303R
Vivek, which amp do you intend to use to power these subs? A mono block or a 4 channel amp bridged?

Generally, JBL subs are considered to be better than Sony xplod subs but then it all boils down to individual preferences.
The sony sub is 400 w at 4 ohms, you'll be hard pressed to find a 4 channel amp that can give out that much power in bridged mode and a mono block that gives out that much power at 4 ohms will be costly (at least 15,000 bucks or more).

maglev, The sony amp is CEA 2006 compliant, so the rated output is not an issue, but here are a couple of options you may also want to consider (incase you have decided that you want a separate mono amp)-
http://cgi.ebay.in/Brand-New-Rockfor...item2a13b0edf4
http://cgi.ebay.in/Brand-New-Renegad...item2a13b0e349

Last edited by Astleviz : 21st September 2011 at 13:53.
Astleviz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 14:52   #11058
NeO

hi Astleviz,

thank you for your advice, i bought JBL 644 amplifier to power JBL 1215 in a box. I don't think the installer has bridged my amplifier, i am currently powering the sub and speakers with them. do you suggest i get them bridged?
NeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 15:30   #11059
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekmakeslove View Post
hi Astleviz,

thank you for your advice, i bought JBL 644 amplifier to power JBL 1215 in a box. I don't think the installer has bridged my amplifier, i am currently powering the sub and speakers with them. do you suggest i get them bridged?
The 644 is a 4 channel amp. Which speakers are you using them for?

Since it has 4 channels, you could bridge 2 channels to drive a sub and use the other 2 channels for your front speakers.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 16:01   #11060
BHPian

Vivek, if you are using the 644 to power the sub and the speakers, I am sure your installer has bridged the rear channels to power the sub. If you are unsure, can you take a pic of your amp (where the speaker connectors are) and post it here so we can confirm?
If you already have a the cs1215 sub, why are you looking at the other subs you have mentioned? They can hardly be considered an upgrade above what you already have. I mean they can handle slightly more power but considering that you are going to use the 644 amp to power these subs, there won't be much of a difference in output over what you already have.
Old 21st September 2011, 17:15   #11061
NeO

Hi Navin,

Will get the same checked today whether the channels have been bridged. i am powering JBL S396 280w might buy a component later when money permits

Astleviz,

i bought 1215 after going though the forums, my query was whether this was the best sub i could lay my hand on for the price. Finally when ahad and bought the amp and sub last weekend
NeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 18:34   #11062
BHPian

Vivek, it's a pretty decent sub for the price, don't worry and let the good times roll.
And if you can hear the sub loud and clear, the amp is most probably bridged.

Last edited by Astleviz : 21st September 2011 at 18:36.
Astleviz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 00:16   #11063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
maglev, The sony amp is CEA 2006 compliant, so the rated output is not an issue, but here are a couple of options you may also want to consider (incase you have decided that you want a separate mono amp)-
Brand New Rockford Fosgate R500-1 | eBay
Brand New Renegade REN850S | eBay

Thanks for the prompt reply

I have the following stuff already installed in my car:

HU: Pioneer 4250 Touchscreen
Front Speakers: Rainbow W 165 SLG F3
Rear Speakers: none at the moment
Amplifier: 4 channel Kenwood KAC-M846 (For the front & rear speakers)
Subwoofer: Rockford Fosgate R1S412 (150watts @ 4ohms)
Bull Audio Wiring

I feel that the RF amp would be the best bet, But just out of curiosity what exactly is wrong with Sony, are they comparatively less reliable, powerful or both.
maglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:39   #11064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Thanks for the prompt reply

I have the following stuff already installed in my car:

I feel that the RF amp would be the best bet, But just out of curiosity what exactly is wrong with Sony, are they comparatively less reliable, powerful or both.
I won't comment on Sony ICE products in general but only on this particular mono amp you have mentioned. While I was looking for a mono amp, it was one of the options I considered, others being alpine, rockford, jbl, kenwood, pioneer and hifonics. Since I couldn't audition each one of these, I turned to actual user reviews and to be honest, I didn't find too many negative reviews for this particular amp. I eventually settled for an alpine but that's because of my perception of alpine products which was substantiated by user reviews.

Here are some actual user reviews for the amp you have mentioned (sold as XM-ZZR3301 in the US)

Sony Xplōd™ XM-ZZR3301 Mono subwoofer amplifier — 600 watts RMS at 2 ohms - Reviews at Crutchfield.com

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sony XMZZR3301 Class D Mono Subwoofer Amplifier (Grey)

Reviews for Sony XM-ZZR3301

BTW, your kenwood amp gives 180 w rms at 4 ohms, sufficient to power your rockford sub, what exactly is the reason you want to go in for a more powerful amp? Planning a sub upgrade?

Last edited by Astleviz : 22nd September 2011 at 12:42.
Old 23rd September 2011, 17:41   #11065
Team-BHP Support

I have a decent Kenwood HU in my 2006 Swift Vxi (plays flash drive and has AUX in, plus MP3 CD/DVD). The car has 6" speakers in front and rear doors- no idea which make since I got this car used. But they sound awful- very fuzzy and no subtlety at all.

I have been scouring this thread and the rest of the ICE forum for ideas all afternoon and am as confused, perhaps more, as when I started out .

Q1. Should I opt for components in front and leave the rear speakers untouched?
This seems to be broadly what Sam Kapasi's early advice seems to suggest. But that was in 2005. Has anything changed?

Q1 (b). I checked JBL GTO-609 and the MRP is 6990/- That seems a trifle beyond what I want to pay for this- are there any cheaper alternatives without compromising too much on quality?

Q2. A friend is suggesting that I leave the front speakers as they are and put 6X9 coaxials on a parcel tray in the back. Pricewise it should be a litle less than (1)- have a quote of around 4800 for JBL and slightly higher for Rockford Fosgate from my friendly neighbourhood accessories guy.
Is this a better option than (1)?

I don't have an amp or subwoofer and frankly have no intention of getting any. The Swift is our second car and we do need whatever precious little boot space it has.

My requirements: am a music lover, listen mostly to hard rock, metal, melodic/symphonic stuff (lots of keyboards along with screaming guitars and flutes and other weird stuff). But also listen to contemporary Bollywood occasionally. Do NOT like my music loud, prefer to hear myself and fellow passenger talk but appreciate perceptible highs/mids and gentle but clear bass (no boom! boom!)

Also have no intention of getting any rewiring done- the parcel tray itself is a stretch .

Please advise, gurus!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:11   #11066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astleviz View Post
I won't comment on Sony ICE products in general but only on this particular mono amp you have mentioned. While I was looking for a mono amp, it was one of the options I considered, others being alpine, rockford, jbl, kenwood, pioneer and hifonics. Since I couldn't audition each one of these, I turned to actual user reviews and to be honest, I didn't find too many negative reviews for this particular amp. I eventually settled for an alpine but that's because of my perception of alpine products which was substantiated by user reviews.

Here are some actual user reviews for the amp you have mentioned (sold as XM-ZZR3301 in the US)

Sony Xplōd XM-ZZR3301 Mono subwoofer amplifier 600 watts RMS at 2 ohms - Reviews at Crutchfield.com

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sony XMZZR3301 Class D Mono Subwoofer Amplifier (Grey)

Reviews for Sony XM-ZZR3301

BTW, your kenwood amp gives 180 w rms at 4 ohms, sufficient to power your rockford sub, what exactly is the reason you want to go in for a more powerful amp? Planning a sub upgrade?

Well, its not because I plan to upgrade the sub, instead I plan to plonk in a pair of 6.5inch co-axials in the rear doors, When this would happen, Ill need an individual amp to power the sub.

btw the other day I heard a system which had bulls compo's and co axials powered by a JBL 644 amp, and a local sound barrier 4channel amp just for the sub. The system sounded loud and clear. The owner's logic for using a desi amp for the sub is that since it just powers the sub it makes a way cheaper alternative to buying a mono. Any takers for such a setup or should one stick to a reputed brand even if, one is looking to just power the sub??
maglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 00:28   #11067
Senior - BHPian

Question Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
...Ok so... I'm happy to offer advice on Car Sound. Like serious advice. I'm what you call "qualified" ...
I bought a CS1215B 12" JBL sub-woofer-in-box. It sounds good, and am satisfied with the product.
But the one thing that got me confused is this : it says 'Bass-Reflex' sub-woofer, but it doesnt have a bass-reflex port . So what is the deal here ???
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 15:40   #11068
BHPian

Hi,

I am expecting the delivery of my Refershed Vento sometime soon.
I plan do some ICE upgrades to the car in March next year hopefully.

Actually the reason for posting this now is my manager is going to US. And I thought why not get atleast one thing from US.

My Idea.
HU - Keep the OEM HU.
Front Speekers - Will listen to them first. If they are fine will not upgrade but 80% chances are that I going for Components.
Rear Speakers - Will keep OEM
Amplifier - I already have a Alpine MRP F300 4 channel Amplifier with me. I plan to connect the 4 speakers with this amp. Any reviews on this amp? I have found it to decent.
Mono - I need some suggestions on this one as this is the item I can think of getting from US. budget aroud 150 - 200 USD.
Sub - I already have a Kenwood 12" Sub. But its vey old now and I would like to change it. I might not be able to buy imported brands becuase of budget constraints. I am considering Pioneer Champion series Class D sub. Any reviews for this one?

Budget - Not a penny more than 30K.
I do plan to get Sound dampening also done.

Music preferrence - I would love crips base even if it as at the expense of high Decibel levels. I generally listen at medium volume levels and love clear and crips Bass.

2nd option:
Sell my current amp and sub. But a 6 channel amp from US and connect everything on it.

Finally My Questions:
1) Which scenario is better 4 Channel + Mono or a single 6 channel amp?
2) Any reviews on Alpine MRP F300 which I already have.
3) Which mono to get from US?
4) Is Pioneer Champion series Sub a decent one?

Thanks
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 20:53   #11069
BHPian

In continuation of the above post. I was looking at this mono Amp.
JL Audio J2 250.1:
Rated Power 14.4 V:
  • 175W x 1 @ 4 ohm
  • 250W x 1 @ 2 ohm
General Features
  • Fully variable 12dB/octave filters controls offer excellent tuning flexibility.
  • Pass-through pre-amp outputs permit interconnection of multiple amplifiers.
  • A heavy extruded aluminum heat sink is designed to keep each J2 amplifier in a comfortable thermal range during demanding operation. This improves reliability and reduces the frequency of thermally related shut-down events.
  • Rugged MOSFET devices in their power supplies for outstanding reliability and operational stability.
  • Fully variable bass boost circuits are included on all models. Monoblock models also feature a wired Remote Level Controller (included).
General Specifications
  • Differential-Balanced Input Topology: One Mono Pair (RCA Low-Level)
  • Subwoofer Crossover: 12 dB/octave with continuously variable cutoff frequency selection from 40 - 130 Hz. Non-defeatable.
  • Preamp Output: Pass-through type with unity gain
  • Bass EQ: 0 - +12dB @ 45 Hz
  • THD at Rated Power: 1% @ 4 ohms
  • Frequency Response: 10 Hz - 100 Hz +/- 1.0 dB
  • Input Range: 200mV - 4V
  • Dimensions (L x W x H): 13.20" x 9.60" x 2.15"
  • I intend to run a Pioneer Champion Series Sub Woofer on it. Would this amp be sufficient for that.
  • Specs for SUb:
  • Watts MAX. Music Power1400 WattsWatts Nominal Power Handling400 WattsFrequency Response20 ~ 180HzSensitivityD2 (90dB) D4 (92dB)Ohm RatingD2: (1 or 4 ohm) D4: (2 or 8 ohm)Recommended Enclosure0.85 ~ 1.75 Cubic FeetDimensions327 mm x 172 mmMounting Depth153 mmAccessory GrillUD-G308

Please help.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2011, 10:37   #11070
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I have a decent Kenwood HU...Swift Vxi

Q1. Should I opt for components in front and leave the rear speakers untouched?

Q2. A friend is suggesting that I leave the front speakers as they are and put 6X9 coaxials on a parcel tray in the back.
1. The OEM speaker locations are the 4 doors. I would suggest a 6" speaker in each door. If you need more bass you could get a MDF rear deck and a pair of 6x9s instead of the rear door speakers.

2. Given your coice of music I would look at Polk's db series. They are a bit bright but if you want screaming metal guitars they might be just the ticket. A less bright VFM option is JBL's CS series and maybe Bull Audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Vento
HU - Keep the OEM HU.
Front Speekers - going for Components.
Rear Speakers - Will keep OEM
Amplifier - I already have a Alpine MRP F300 4 channel
Mono - budget aroud 150 - 200 USD.
Sub - I am considering Pioneer Champion series Class D sub. Any reviews for this one?

Budget - Not a penny more than 30K.
I do plan to get Sound dampening also done.

Finally My Questions:
1) Which scenario is better 4 Channel + Mono or a single 6 channel amp?
2) Any reviews on Alpine MRP F300 which I already have.
3) Which mono to get from US?
4) Is Pioneer Champion series Sub a decent one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
JL Audio J2 250.1
Get the JBL Audio Mono. The Alpine amp will do fine for your front and rear speakers as most of the bass work will be managed by your JL amp.

For the sub consider Polk or JBL. Although I have not heard this Pioneer sub, I would assume the Polk or JBL subs might do a better job.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote