Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2011, 19:27   #11086
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 178
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Can be repaired - check with the old Blau service guys. Though no longer sold in India, it is still in production with decent availability of spares. Ask Bosch service for someone reasonably near you.
I checked, there is a hole burnt in PCB
Mindgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 23:34   #11087
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 26
Thanked: 0 Times
Question Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

HI Guys

We have booked our new swift 2k11 and it is ready for delivery

We ve booked Swift2k11 VDi

As VDi s don ve factory fitted audio systems we thought of getting a separate unit . but surprisingly the showroom guys were ready to get the factory fitted one (NIPPON MAKE) Which gels well with the Swift2k11 interiors .

But the HU Cost is 16 k and the speakers come around 4k so the cost came to 20k .
1. Can we go for this deal or shall we go for any other brands ?
2. is it better to go for factory fitted ones ?
3. Can you guys suggest a frontal HU which is suited for new swift interiors below 20k ?

Please guide me

Thanks in advance
Vignesh Mohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 08:16   #11088
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 178
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh Mohan View Post
HI Guys

We have booked our new swift 2k11 and it is ready for delivery

We ve booked Swift2k11 VDi

As VDi s don ve factory fitted audio systems we thought of getting a separate unit . but surprisingly the showroom guys were ready to get the factory fitted one (NIPPON MAKE) Which gels well with the Swift2k11 interiors .

But the HU Cost is 16 k and the speakers come around 4k so the cost came to 20k .
1. Can we go for this deal or shall we go for any other brands ?
2. is it better to go for factory fitted ones ?
3. Can you guys suggest a frontal HU which is suited for new swift interiors below 20k ?

Please guide me

Thanks in advance

check in market, my friend also got the same in her Dzire. In the market it was almost half the price of what Maruti sells and its the same stuff comes in the same box too.
Mindgrinder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 11:24   #11089
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 26
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Hi Mindgrinder ,

Yeah will surely see that . Suddenly today morning they gave deal of 8k HU + 4k speakers for another Nippon make that will suit the new swift

Dunno how that looks. It too has USB ports and stuffs .. Now in a dilemma whether to go for it or another HU that may suit or gel with the new Swift Interiors

Will post the pics once i get any confirmation, within a week

If you guys have any suggestion reg factory fitted nippon makes, please post them
Vignesh Mohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 12:55   #11090
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,963
Thanked: 3,504 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh Mohan View Post
H
But the HU Cost is 16 k and the speakers come around 4k so the cost came to 20k .
1. Can we go for this deal or shall we go for any other brands ?
If I was spending 20K ona a stereo I'd spend about 7K on the HU and 10K on the 4 speakers and use the rest to damp the doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
the Zxi model of SX4 has tweeters also in front, at the top of the front doors, factory supplied.
why not replace the front speakers with components then?
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 13:59   #11091
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: goa
Posts: 979
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
....

why not replace the front speakers with components then?
Yup, that's on my list... basically a question of wanting to spend the least Vitamin M
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 19:41   #11092
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,760
Thanked: 1,277 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Ok, its time to replace the stock system in my Vista.

Audio gurus, please comment. I have got a quote of around 15-17k for the following:
1) JVC double-DIN AUX/USB/DVD HU (Looked awesome in the box)
2) 4 Infinity compounds 5" in the 4 doors
3) 2 Infinity Woofers on the parcel trey
4) All wiring and installation

Cutting wires and all is not an issue now, since my car is past warranty now. I am not a big fan of the Bluetooth and navigation system.
ajay_satpute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 22:49   #11093
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,078
Thanked: 2,272 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Ok, its time to replace the stock system in my Vista.

Cutting wires and all is not an issue now, since my car is past warranty now. I am not a big fan of the Bluetooth and navigation system.
Yep the vista needs a better music system.

Still recommend one with SatNav and Bluetooth integrated along with a reverse camera - Bluetooth integrated does make things safer.

Also cutting wires is just not about the warranty but also about reliability- best to use original socket adapters where possible.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 00:55   #11094
BHPian
 
manjot1912's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bhubaneswar
Posts: 119
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Ok, its time to replace the stock system in my Vista.

Audio gurus, please comment. I have got a quote of around 15-17k for the following:
1) JVC double-DIN AUX/USB/DVD HU (Looked awesome in the box)
2) 4 Infinity compounds 5" in the 4 doors
3) 2 Infinity Woofers on the parcel trey
4) All wiring and installation

Cutting wires and all is not an issue now, since my car is past warranty now. I am not a big fan of the Bluetooth and navigation system.

Could you please tell the model of the JVC HU? It is surprising that you got a quote of 15-17k with a double DIN DVD HU, 2 pairs of components and 2 woofers.

Are you sure you want to install sub on the parcel tray, and that even two of them?? I'm no guru, but I've read in threads and people are advised not to install subs on the parcel tray.

Also, what about amplifiers?
manjot1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 01:36   #11095
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Panjim, Goa
Posts: 362
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Ok, its time to replace the stock system in my Vista.

Audio gurus, please comment. I have got a quote of around 15-17k for the following:
1) JVC double-DIN AUX/USB/DVD HU (Looked awesome in the box)
2) 4 Infinity compounds 5" in the 4 doors
3) 2 Infinity Woofers on the parcel trey
4) All wiring and installation

Cutting wires and all is not an issue now, since my car is past warranty now. I am not a big fan of the Bluetooth and navigation system.
I doubt if you'll be getting 2 infinity woofers along with the other stuff you have mentioned for that amount. The 2 subs alone would cost at least 12-15,000 bucks, that too if they are reference series. Official price is 7990 bucks per sub). Just double check, most probably those are coaxials. Even that is unlikely since the official price of infinity reference coaxials is 5500 Rs per pair.

Last edited by Astleviz : 10th October 2011 at 01:39.
Astleviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 04:48   #11096
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 11
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Has anyone reviewed the JBL GT5-1204BP band pass subwoofer ?
Its considerable more expensive than their GT Series tube enclosure. Does the performance justify the added cost ?
vikramshetty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 11:24   #11097
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,963
Thanked: 3,504 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramshetty101 View Post
Has anyone reviewed the JBL GT5-1204BP band pass subwoofer ?...Does the performance justify the added cost ?
I have heard a JBL dual band pass (3 chambered) sub. I forgot the model (Sam will know the model) and it was loud. It used 2 12" woofers. I think the model you have short listed uses just 1 right?

In general BP subs are very efficient within their pass band. For SPL applications they are good VFM. In a car they work well as the cabin is many ways is also a "band pass" enviroment. With modern music their puchiness can be a boon.

In the home, I had a little trouble mating BP subs to sealed box satellites. Some 20 years ago we tried to mate a pair of 3 chambered, 4th order BP sub (using Peerless 831727) to a pair of Dynaudio Geminis. They worked well with certain genres of music but fell apart (sonically) when forced to reproduce acapella, jazz, and western classical. In these cases we turned them off as they were a distraction.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 14:15   #11098
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 11
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I have heard a JBL dual band pass (3 chambered) sub. I forgot the model (Sam will know the model) and it was loud. It used 2 12" woofers. I think the model you have short listed uses just 1 right?

In general BP subs are very efficient within their pass band. For SPL applications they are good VFM. In a car they work well as the cabin is many ways is also a "band pass" enviroment. With modern music their puchiness can be a boon.

In the home, I had a little trouble mating BP subs to sealed box satellites. Some 20 years ago we tried to mate a pair of 3 chambered, 4th order BP sub (using Peerless 831727) to a pair of Dynaudio Geminis. They worked well with certain genres of music but fell apart (sonically) when forced to reproduce acapella, jazz, and western classical. In these cases we turned them off as they were a distraction.
Thanks Navin.

The freq response says 35 Hz to 100 Hz for the GT 1204BP. If i am correct, component speakers would comfortably take frequencies above 100 Hz. so why does one bother to use vented enclosures then ? the vented tube GT6-S336 specs say 35 to 200 Hz. why would one want to go so far up 200 Hz when the speakers are already reproducing them ? also, can anyone tell me if the GT5-1204 performance justifies the cost. it costs 50 percent more than the tube.
vikramshetty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 10:19   #11099
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,963
Thanked: 3,504 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramshetty101 View Post
so why does one bother to use vented enclosures then ? the vented tube GT6-S336 specs say 35 to 200 Hz. why would one want to go so far up 200 Hz when the speakers are already reproducing them ? also, can anyone tell me if the GT5-1204 performance justifies the cost. it costs 50 percent more than the tube.
A well designed vented/ported box has better impulse/transient response.

Just like sealed boxes are more tolerant than vented/ported boxes of differences T/S specs , band pass boxes are less tolerant.

actual T/S specs are not what the published specs say. There are variances as large as 10%. Now if Vas is 10% greater (not uncommon) and Fs is also 10% greater than published specs you will get a very differnt tuning than expected.

Lastly with band pass, since the woofer is not directly radiating into the cabin, distortion is a littl harder to hear so one has to be more careful.

In short there is no free lunch, not with TL, aperiodic, nothing. Every box has an application that is just right for it and the cabin is where every box design should start. People forget the cabin way too often.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 13:20   #11100
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 11
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
A well designed vented/ported box has better impulse/transient response.


Just like sealed boxes are more tolerant than vented/ported boxes of differences T/S specs , band pass boxes are less tolerant.

actual T/S specs are not what the published specs say. There are variances as large as 10%. Now if Vas is 10% greater (not uncommon) and Fs is also 10% greater than published specs you will get a very differnt tuning than expected.

Lastly with band pass, since the woofer is not directly radiating into the cabin, distortion is a littl harder to hear so one has to be more careful.

In short there is no free lunch, not with TL, aperiodic, nothing. Every box has an application that is just right for it and the cabin is where every box design should start. People forget the cabin way too often.
Thanks Navin. So if the same manufacturer is making the driver and enclosure, then the accuracy would be better (since they would be able to measure the speaker parameters post manufacture and before making the enclosure ? and does it mean that, if one is going in for a bandpass set up, it makes more sense to get one where the enclosure and driver have been made by the manufacturer ?
vikramshetty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
sub enclosure advice from audio gurus clipto333 In-Car Entertainment 22 4th January 2007 11:29
Please Read This Thread *Before* Posting in the "What Car?" Section adya33 What Car? 0 12th July 2006 19:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks