Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2012, 23:24   #11356
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,548
Thanked: 1,156 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSoul View Post
Are you referring to something like Hifonics Maxxsonics MX-1?
If not then can you please suggest any basic sound processor that could be easily available here in india at that price point?
Try these not-so-popular brands in india. They are famous in US and singapore but not here. Your local ICE dealer will be able to source it for you.
  • Lanzar
  • SSL (Sound Storm Labs)
  • Soundstream
The ones mentioned above are budget ones. However you also have ones like JBL-MS 8 which is a high end one (40,000/-).
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 10:46   #11357
BHPian
 
Joyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 98
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSoul View Post
Are you referring to something like Hifonics Maxxsonics MX-1?
If not then can you please suggest any basic sound processor that could be easily available here in india at that price point?
This one looks interesting, look like can address my problem. You have any idea if its available over here and how much does it cost?
Joyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 17:20   #11358
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,548
Thanked: 1,156 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyb View Post
This one looks interesting, look like can address my problem. You have any idea if its available over here and how much does it cost?
it (Maxxsonics MX-1) costs 15K in Chennai GP road.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 18:13   #11359
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,073
Thanked: 184 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

I am a little illiterate when it comes to music & music systems, but then why would a sound processor be required in a situation where the problem is that of a disturbance & not of clarity?

I assume, whatever is causing this sound to originate will keep doing that even after a sound processor is installed because the root cause hasn't been corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Try to add a basic sound-processor. It costs you around 8000/- (starting prices) but they do a great deal in making music sound sweeter. The SP will take care of the noise factor as well. most of the SPs have auto-tune facility to maximize your audio setup.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 19:25   #11360
BHPian
 
Joyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 98
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
I am a little illiterate when it comes to music & music systems, but then why would a sound processor be required in a situation where the problem is that of a disturbance & not of clarity?

I assume, whatever is causing this sound to originate will keep doing that even after a sound processor is installed because the root cause hasn't been corrected.
Well at least with a sound processor the amplifier will be switched off once we switch off the HU. The humming sound is noticeable and very irritating once you switch off the HU but the amp is still on.

Till now have come across 2 XUV's with ICE up-gradation, Nitin has got a SP and Kedar has got a Amp switch installed to manually switch off the amp in case he shuts out the HU. My installer used good (Audison Connection series) equipment and cabling but that didn't help.
Joyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 19:40   #11361
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,073
Thanked: 184 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

What happened to that thin cable that comes along a wiring kit for remote off, i.e. the amplifier also switches off when the HU is switched off. This wire is connected to the amp & the HU such that when the HU is switched off, the amplifier also switches off.

Secondly, even if nothing works for you, why do you want to spend a huge sum on getting a sound processor when you can simply install an on-off switch for a fraction of the cost of a SP?

Drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyb View Post
Well at least with a sound processor the amplifier will be switched off once we switch off the HU. The humming sound is noticeable and very irritating once you switch off the HU but the amp is still on.

Till now have come across 2 XUV's with ICE up-gradation, Nitin has got a SP and Kedar has got a Amp switch installed to manually switch off the amp in case he shuts out the HU. My installer used good (Audison Connection series) equipment and cabling but that didn't help.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 18th January 2012 at 19:42.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 19:42   #11362
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 582
Thanked: 455 Times
Question Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

I have a one question regarding "SP SELECT" function in the headunit.

I have Kenwood 546BTU headunit in my car with 6.5" infintiy components at front and 6" kicker components at rear doors stock position. Now there is a function in the headunit called "SP SELECT" (Speaker Select). We can choose appropriate speaker setup in this function when we are in stand-by mode, options are :
SP OFF
SP 5/4
SP 6*9/6
SP OEM


I want to know that is this really a useful function or just a gimmick. If this really affects the sound quality then what is best suited setting for various speakers without AMP and SUB. I've tried various settings but didn't find any difference in sound quality.
tbppjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 19:46   #11363
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,548
Thanked: 1,156 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
I am a little illiterate when it comes to music & music systems, but then why would a sound processor be required in a situation where the problem is that of a disturbance & not of clarity?

I assume, whatever is causing this sound to originate will keep doing that even after a sound processor is installed because the root cause hasn't been corrected.
Your view is correct. Initial checks are to re-install, install spacers, check RCA, Cables etc. Check woofer out / speaker out etc. These checks are already carried out and were not of much help. Sound processor will help to remove sounds and noise and bring out the midrange such that the sound will be supressed to a great extent. I know its expensive, but it still helps a great deal.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 21:18   #11364
BHPian
 
Joyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 98
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Your view is correct. Initial checks are to re-install, install spacers, check RCA, Cables etc. Check woofer out / speaker out etc. These checks are already carried out and were not of much help. Sound processor will help to remove sounds and noise and bring out the midrange such that the sound will be supressed to a great extent. I know its expensive, but it still helps a great deal.
I sincerely hope so! Personally speaking after spending so much on the car and installing such heavy equipment, I better spend another 15-20k on the SP rather than having a oddly placed aftermarket switch installed. Till the time I am saving for the SP and sub, am happy listening to the stock setup, I have already installed decent components and the SQ through Bluetooth is quite nice. Worth the money spent on the comps
Joyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 23:07   #11365
BHPian
 
DigitalSoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 51
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyb View Post
I sincerely hope so! Personally speaking after spending so much on the car and installing such heavy equipment, I better spend another 15-20k on the SP rather than having a oddly placed aftermarket switch installed. Till the time I am saving for the SP and sub, am happy listening to the stock setup, I have already installed decent components and the SQ through Bluetooth is quite nice. Worth the money spent on the comps
In case you are ready to spend 20k on sound processor then please consider Audison Bit 10. It is way better than the one suggested earlier. It is available at Driven and MRP is 20K so with some discount it will be even lesser
DigitalSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 16:11   #11366
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 33
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

i have a modest request here , im gonna buy my frist car, a wagon r CNG, need to add ice to it, the dealer is offering a MGA jvc HU and 2 x 4" spkrs and 2 x 6 " spkrs which will go on all 4 doors for 9k which he claims costs 13k otherwise.

my budget is 9-10k, im not an audio phile and it will mostly be the 2 of us(me n my wife) driving. i want something that works and will stand the test of time and just sound decent.

my audiophile friend suggests getting a HU, a small slim amp and 2 component speakers with tweets, he says all of this should cost 10k which is about what my budget is , would this be good ? iif yes could you guys suggest brands n models , if not an alternate setup ?

ill be buying from mumbai and milan subway is not too far away, any other recommended places to install also is fine since i dont mind driving, looking for decent prices genuine parts n some peace of mind.
cletusarrarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 17:09   #11367
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,073
Thanked: 184 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

My replies inline, in bold below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletusarrarr View Post
the dealer is offering a MGA jvc HU and 2 x 4" spkrs and 2 x 6 " spkrs which will go on all 4 doors for 9k which he claims costs 13k otherwise.

-- You can get better deals in the market, for the same price. Do give them a look because you can always walk back to the dealer.

my audiophile friend suggests getting a HU, a small slim amp and 2 component speakers with tweets, he says all of this should cost 10k which is about what my budget is , would this be good ? iif yes could you guys suggest brands n models , if not an alternate setup ?

-- An HU, with an amplifier & a component system is not possible in or under 10K, unless you get them all or a couple of these items for free. A decent HU would itself set you back by about 5K, add another 4-5K for a set of component speakers. And this is the bare minimum, you may to have to shell a few hundred here or a few hundred there like for the radio antenna or maybe some sort of extra wire for the speakers because the one in the packaging came in shorter than required for your car.

I would suggest that you keep the amplifier for a bit later & get a decent HU & a set of speakers that complement it, for now.

blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 17:27   #11368
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 33
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

what if i increse the budget by 2k for the amp , should that get me something decent? i wouldnt mind bumping by little bit if i could cram things in .

This is the HU the dealer has said he would provide. The 425 model.
1-DIN CD Receiver KD-R425/R426 | CD Receiver | Car Audio | JVC India
cletusarrarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 17:36   #11369
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,548
Thanked: 1,156 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletusarrarr View Post
i have a modest request here , im gonna buy my frist car, a wagon r CNG, need to add ice to it, the dealer is offering a MGA jvc HU and 2 x 4" spkrs and 2 x 6 " spkrs which will go on all 4 doors for 9k which he claims costs 13k otherwise.

my audiophile friend suggests getting a HU, a small slim amp and 2 component speakers with tweets, he says all of this should cost 10k
Kindly let us know the model number of the HU and speakers so that we can suggest the prices. It is anyday better to get ICE from your local ICE shop than the dealership.

If the 9K worth of products are "Free" with the car, you may go ahead, but if you are paying from your pocket, your local ICE shop will get you a better deal.

Amp + HU + Sub + Speakers for 10K is possible with Chinese products only. Branded products will set you back by at least 20K.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 17:45   #11370
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 33
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

No, the HU and spkrs are not free, ill have to pay for them, its just an offer thats put across to me as a discounted item, id rather get it from out, just need to ensure i dont void the warranty of my vehicle, as of not i have just booked the vehicle, i still have a week or more to decide on all these before i take delivery.

12k i guess is the max i could maybe 13 for the audio setup and dont mind something with just components n tweets in the front and nothing in the rear as it would just be for 2 people majorly in the car.

Don't want any chinese stuff, only good branded stuff, i mentioned that was a proposal by my friend, not an actuals of whats to be done, a best setup suggestion would be welcome too. given my requirements in mind.
cletusarrarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
sub enclosure advice from audio gurus clipto333 In-Car Entertainment 22 4th January 2007 11:29
Please Read This Thread *Before* Posting in the "What Car?" Section adya33 What Car? 0 12th July 2006 19:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks