Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 2nd February 2012, 23:25   #11431

Unhappy Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Hello All,

Am a newbie to car audio and definitely not a pro in audio tech as such. I recently upgraded my HU to a JVC XR 816 on my Polo and now planning to upgrade the speakers.

I live in Koramangala and did a pilgrimage to all the car audio stores here and got myself thoroughly confused! I now have 10 different advices and not one was willing to demo any of the speakers that they recommended!

I predominantly listen to Tamil and Hindi Film songs (Sample set: All tracks in ek Deewana tha/ VTV (Tamil)) at nominal volumes - would just prefer the sound to be clear and as close to what AR Rehman intended it to sound like (thats the max I am capable of explaining my listening preference ) - So based on this can the gurus please suggest a good pair of components and coaxes(for the rear)? (Budget is a bit flexible up to 15k)

Some of the suggestions I got when I explained my music preferences were:
-- Infinity Reference: 6530CS
-- Polk Audio db6501
-- Two of the guys recommended Hertz DSK 165 or the ESK 165 (Can someone tell me if the 4k price difference between DSK and ESK worth it? (Without adding an amp)
-- Cerwin Wega (multiple dealers tried to push this)
-- Diamond D1 (was recommended as a premium option - but was told that might not fit my music preference)
-- Infinity Kappa (~12k - unknown model number)

Questions:
-- Which of the above speakers is a safe bet (assuming I am never able to try any of these beforehand)
-- Which are the shops in Bangalore that can audition these speakers?
-- A brief description of how these speakers would vary in sound quality based on your experience
-- Any other speaker suggestion

Thanks a ton (in advance)

--Ashwin
kkashwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 12:14   #11432

Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmyalto View Post
Hi Gurus,

Time for ICEing on my 2-plus-year-old Alto. Have got the below quotes:

Alpine CDA105 Rs. 7200 OR
Kenwood U449 Rs. 6000

JBL GTX 646 Rs. 7500

JBL GTO 949 Rs. 5100

JBL GTO 609c Rs. 5900 OR
Inf. Ref. 6530cs Rs. 7000

Schoche + Plank + "Working kit" + Damping Rs. 6000

Can the prices be negotiated further down? All are with B/W. Any suggestions on speakers?

Hi Guru,
Please provide break up of above. What's your feedback on the speakers?
Hi itsmyalto,

The speakers of JBL are good in their price range(Bright sound),
I got the
JBL GTO 609c components for 4 k
JBL GTO-609C
JBL GTO 949 Coaxial for 3.6 k
JBL GTO-949

Please note that the wiring is also part of the package in JBL

Plank will cost you around 500-750 Rs

Damping - Am planning to do it myself(there is a very good detailed DIY topic in the forum search for it)....or u can get it done for 2k or less than that depends on your negotiation.

HU depends on individual choices....I would go for a Pioneer HU which delivers a good performance in its price range.

There are better speakers in the market for the prices you have quoted,then again it depends on the kind of music you listen to and the budget you prefer.

I suggest you get the stuff from the place where u get the best prices and get it installed from best installer in town.

There are lot of knowledgeable persons on Team BHP who can also guide you.
guru.skr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 14:30   #11433
BHPian

Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Ok Guys, am back at it. Please refer to the following post to understand the story so far.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ml#post2648086

Even though my 2 set of components (Infinity Kappa 65.9 in front and Polk DB 6501 in rear) are giving me decent sound since last 2 weeks, was never really 100% happy with the SQ and lack of Bass. So in the last couple of weeks, have got the following things done:-[/FONT]

1) Got myself a Infinity Bass Link T ( http://www.jblindia.co.in/details_of...roducts_id=731 )

2) Got my HU replaced by the Nipoon guys, now there is no Buzzing noise while playing the CD/USB)

3) Have learnt how to open the dashboard to access the HU (learnt it while they were opening it to replace the HU).

4) Discovered that the HU comes with a output cable for connecting the RCA cables for the amplifier with the HU.

So going back to my installer to get the Dampning, 4 channel AMP and the Basslink T installed. Now, have a few doubts on which I need your valuable inputs:-

AMPLIFIER:Now was never a very patient and technical guy, but after spending many hours online (reading all about the amplifiers), am still very confused about the technical specification to look out for. The power ratings of my components are

i) Front: Power Handling, RMS: 90 W
Impedance: 2 ohms

ii) Rear: Power Handling, CPH RMS: 100 W
Impedance: Not known.

What should be the power output of the AMP I should look out for ?? Will the POLK 660 be appropriate, if not, please advice me on the desired technical specification.

POLK 660 ( http://www.polkaudioindia.com/produc...ls/pa_660.html ):
> 4 Channel Amplifier : RMS 75W x 4 @ 4 Ohm,
> 75 Watts x 4 continuous, 85 x 4 dynamic power (2 Ohm load), 4 channel mode.
> 150 Watts x 2 (4 ohm) continuous power, 2 channel mode)

Sub woofer: As the Infinity Bass Link T has an inbuilt amp, how should the same be connected to the HU?? Can we take a connection for this from the Amplifier itself, or should the connection be taken from the speaker wires? I want a setup wherein the fader control is retained.

Shall be really great If the Gurus can advice upon the appropriate set-up.

Last edited by Joyb : 3rd February 2012 at 14:37. Reason: Formatting
Joyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 19:20   #11434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkashwin View Post
Questions:
-- Which of the above speakers is a safe bet (assuming I am never able to try any of these beforehand)
-- Which are the shops in Bangalore that can audition these speakers?
-- A brief description of how these speakers would vary in sound quality based on your experience
-- Any other speaker suggestion
Infinity Reference is a premium series and is good. I have auditioned them personally and am happy with it.

Try Kumars Auto (website). Some friends have purchased from there and Kumars have helped to auditon the speakers. They have 2 branches one each in Banshankari and Siddiah Road. Alternatively you can also try the Various ICE Stores near Richmond circle.

Given the Music you listen to, that too at decent volumes, You cannot really make out diferences with the naked ear. All would sound good. Where the speaker quality comes into play is if you want to show-off your ICE system, playing music at very loud volumes at your college or at some meet. The distortion would be more for lower end speakers. For day-to-day usage, Any of the above spekers would do.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 3rd February 2012 at 19:21.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 13:34   #11435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyb View Post

AMPLIFIER:Now was never a very patient and technical guy, but after spending many hours online (reading all about the amplifiers), am still very confused about the technical specification to look out for. The power ratings of my components are

i) Front: Power Handling, RMS: 90 W
Impedance: 2 ohms

ii) Rear: Power Handling, CPH RMS: 100 W
Impedance: Not known.

What should be the power output of the AMP I should look out for ?? Will the POLK 660 be appropriate, if not, please advice me on the desired technical specification.

POLK 660 ( www.Polkaudioindia.com ):
> 4 Channel Amplifier : RMS 75W x 4 @ 4 Ohm,
> 75 Watts x 4 continuous, 85 x 4 dynamic power (2 Ohm load), 4 channel mode.
> 150 Watts x 2 (4 ohm) continuous power, 2 channel mode)
Ok, which one do you think is better, Audison SR4 or POLK 660.
Old 4th February 2012, 20:37   #11436
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
... you can also try the Various ICE Stores near Richmond circle. ...
Richmond Circle is where the up and down segments of the flyover meet - there are no ICE shops there. You are referring to the starting end of Richmond Road, where Victoria and Gen. Thimmaiah Roads meet. The ICE shops are in the red triangular building with entry from Thimmaiah Road side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
... Given the Music you listen to, that too at decent volumes, You cannot really make out diferences with the naked ear. All would sound good. Where the speaker quality comes into play is if you want to show-off your ICE system, playing music at very loud volumes at your college or at some meet. ...
IMHO no, one can make out the difference between different speakers even in the 5K bracket speakers. If one plays known music, and has really heard the songs enough to remember the voice / instruments, and has a decent listening environment without too much noise, one can easily make out the difference.

Some speakers are bright (too much high f), some are neutral / mellow. Some have good mid-range (e.g. voices w.r.t. background music), some don't. Also, some people like bright sound signature (but can't articulate it), and some people will get a headache from the same. That is why it is better to audition before buying - lest it turns out a bad buy later.

And no, SPL (the term for loud but distortionless) is a different ball-game, needs different speakers and amps. Even at low / moderate volumes in the car, one can appreciate clarity and lack of distortion. External amps definitely enhance the listening experience, but one can make out good from bad even when driven from HU.

Quote:
Ok, which one do you think is better, Audison SR4 or POLK 660.
Audison, but not based on the tech figures you have quoted. Audison amps sound better than Polk, IMHO (but then I like my music neutral / mellow) subjective opinion only. Best would be to audition - rigged temporarily in the car; buy the one you like. If you are definitely buying the amp, the power, signal and speaker cables anyhow need to go in. If your source has both, it is easy to audition in your own car. If the source refuses to give an audition, not worth buying from them - good sellers let the customer decide instead of forcing something on them.

Last edited by DerAlte : 4th February 2012 at 20:38.
DerAlte is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 12:37   #11437

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
(but then I like my music neutral / mellow) subjective opinion only.
Given your preference which one (from the ones listed below - or your own suggestions) do you think would fit your listening style? I strongly feel my listening style is similar. I can try hunt down a store to audition those speakers.

-- Infinity Reference: 6530CS
-- Polk Audio db6501
-- Two of the guys recommended Hertz DSK 165 or the ESK 165 (Can someone tell me if the 4k price difference between DSK and ESK worth it? (Without adding an amp)
-- Cerwin Wega (multiple dealers tried to push this)
-- Diamond D1 (was recommended as a premium option - but was told that might not fit my music preference)
-- Infinity Kappa (~12k - unknown model number)
kkashwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 19:41   #11438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkashwin View Post
Given your preference which one (from the ones listed below - or your own suggestions) do you think would fit your listening style? ...
In order of preference:
- Infinity Reference: 6530CS
- Infinity Kappa
- Polk Audio db6501

Haven't heard the following so can't say:
- Hertz DSK 165 or the ESK 165 - used to be a bit bright for me, but not sure of the new ones now. ESK was worth the difference
- Cerwin Wega: multiple dealers *would* push this due to higher margins for them; nothing distinctive about it
- Diamond D1

If you can get them somewhere, you could perhaps try out Morel Maximo, Auditor and Bull Audio components too. Check with Satya (@blueraven216) at EVO Cambridge Layout, or Thouqeer at Audio Fusion, Koramangala (near the Kora Club) - they usually have a variety at their place.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 00:13   #11439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but then I like my music neutral / mellow
aha, i'm on the lookout for a neutral sounding setup. My budget is 20K for HU+front speakers + wiring + damping. Any suggestions? Thinking of adding amp + rear speakers sometime later.

PS: I've got ProAc speakers, Audio Technica W5000 headphones and UE Triple.Fi 10 IEMs, I like my music without any coloration and as natural as possible
SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 09:49   #11440
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
My budget is 20K for HU+front speakers + wiring + damping.
PS: I've got ProAc speakers...
For speakers, try Alpine, Infinity, DLS or Rainbow. For the HU try Kenwood or Alpine. But from what I know either set will run you a bit more than 20K.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 10:15   #11441
Senior - BHPian

I am going to replace the HU in my Vista with either of the following two depending on the best price quote I get:

1) JVC KW-XR416
2) JVC KW-XR616

My question is- the dealer said that he has to source a bracket first to install any new HU in place of the stock HU in Vista. He said the bracket might cost anywhere between 400/- to 1000/-. How can the price range be so wide? Its just a simple plastic rectangular bracket. I wanted to know the real price of the bracket. Does anyone have any idea?
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 11:35   #11442

Hi Gurus,

After quite some research I finally got Kenwood KDC-U449 head unit installed. The Kenwood site says that in order to attach your IPOD to this HU we need an optional cable(KCA-IP101), however I had read in quite a few posts that it was not necessary and the original Ipod cable (that comes with the Ipod) would do the job. But now when I attach my Ipod Nano(1st generation) the HU doesn't seem to recognize it and only displays NO DEVICE.

Is this a problem with the HU or we really need the optional cable in order for Ipod to work on this headunit?
Maverick Avi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 12:14   #11443
BHPian

Quote:
In order of preference:
- Infinity Reference: 6530CS
- Infinity Kappa
- Polk Audio db6501
As far as I know, the Kappa series is the high end speaker line of Infinity. There is also a substantial price difference between the two ranges (i.e. Reference and Kappa). Any particular reason why you rank them lower in preference to the Reference series? COuld you elaborate on that?
arindambasu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 12:22   #11444
BHPian

Quote:
Audison, but not based on the tech figures you have quoted. Audison amps sound better than Polk, IMHO (but then I like my music neutral / mellow) subjective opinion only. Best would be to audition - rigged temporarily in the car; buy the one you like. If you are definitely buying the amp, the power, signal and speaker cables anyhow need to go in. If your source has both, it is easy to audition in your own car. If the source refuses to give an audition, not worth buying from them - good sellers let the customer decide instead of forcing something on them.
Quick Update guys, went for the Amp installation yesterday, ended up buying the Hertz HDP4 amplifier. Must say- beautiful looking, small but power packed piece of equipment. My XUV had major humming issues whenever any amp is connected. Auditioned POLK, Kicker, Pioneer before listening to this baby, and honestly speaking it simply blew them away. Not only is it sounding clean and powerfull, without any sound of its own, but also is the only AMP wherein no humming sound is present.

Detailed installation and listening preview to follow in the next couple of days.
Old 6th February 2012, 13:05   #11445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
... Kappa series is the high end speaker line of Infinity. There is also a substantial price difference ... Any particular reason why you rank them lower in preference to the Reference series? ...
1. I expressed a (subjective) personal opinion having listened to them
2. Quite humbly I didn't attempt to rank them - I found the Reference a bit more to my liking and that is what I expressed
3. I don't believe cost should have an impact on judging whether one likes the speakers or not. Also, it is incorrect to have a prejudice that the higher cost speaker *must be better* - to me many speakers 3 times the cost of entry-level components sounded indistinctive.

Quote:
... Hertz HDP4 amplifier ... is the only AMP wherein no humming sound is present. ...
Nice. Class D, no wonder it didn't have humming. Doesn't matter now, but your car / previous install must have serious grounding 'problems' to get ground loop hum inside the amp. Class D, which inherently has a digital coupling (probably optocoupler) to final output stage, would be impervious to that.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote