Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment

Old 17th February 2012, 16:25   #11461
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhX View Post
do you think 2V vs 4V pre-outs should be a major criteria in the decision-making process?
In one word: NO.
If your installer is sensible you should NOT face any issue with hiss. Most amplifeirs cannot accpet a signal larger than 2V anyway.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 16:58   #11462
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Hi gurus, need some help.

I am almost at the verge of starting the phase two of my audio set up. In this phase, I plan to add a 4Ch amp (or if I get it in my budget, one 4Ch + 1 mono). My budget is about 25K (excluding the wiring kit + installation).

My Current setup is Alpine CDA 117 and Rainbow SLG 265.20 F3 Kick components.

I want to add either a 4Ch amp so that I can use 2Ch to run my components and can bridge the other 2 Ch for a sub (which will be added later)

But while browsing for options, I came across this - Amazon.com: ST4 + ST1 pkg - Zapco 4-Channel and Monoblock Car Amplifiers Package: Car Electronics

In a nutshell, for 499$, I can get a 4Ch and a mono Zapco amp. I know the support may be an area of concern (as far as I know, there is no support for Zapco @ India).

Now my question is - Should I go for this or should I spent the amount on some other amp? I am open to suggestions and I am ready to buy it either from Bangalore or from US.

I am not much of an audiophile, and I like my sound clean and my bass tight. Not a fan of trebles, I am looking for a setup which is more oriented towards SQ. Any help will be truly appreciated.
theexperthand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2012, 19:24   #11463
BHPian

hello everybody,
I am considering buying a Focal P30 sub..
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3QnhAzd...l#overview-tab

is it good? any specific things i should be looking at?
i was looking at an Infinity kappa 120.9w earlier.. how would the focal compare with that?

thanks
kanhaiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 16:06   #11464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Hi gurus, need some help.

I am almost at the verge of starting the phase two of my audio set up. In this phase, I plan to add a 4Ch amp (or if I get it in my budget, one 4Ch + 1 mono). My budget is about 25K (excluding the wiring kit + installation).

My Current setup is Alpine CDA 117 and Rainbow SLG 265.20 F3 Kick components.

I want to add either a 4Ch amp so that I can use 2Ch to run my components and can bridge the other 2 Ch for a sub (which will be added later)

But while browsing for options, I came across this - Amazon.com: ST4 + ST1 pkg - Zapco 4-Channel and Monoblock Car Amplifiers Package: Car Electronics

In a nutshell, for 499$, I can get a 4Ch and a mono Zapco amp. I know the support may be an area of concern (as far as I know, there is no support for Zapco @ India).

Now my question is - Should I go for this or should I spent the amount on some other amp? I am open to suggestions and I am ready to buy it either from Bangalore or from US.

I am not much of an audiophile, and I like my sound clean and my bass tight. Not a fan of trebles, I am looking for a setup which is more oriented towards SQ. Any help will be truly appreciated.

Instead of spending 499 USD, check the JBL MS-8. It is available for 500 / 520 USD. Features are amazing and it has a built in 4 channel amp. Suport for JBL is easily available in india.

LINK
scopriobharath is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 17:09   #11465
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In a nutshell, for 499$, I can get a 4Ch and a mono Zapco amp...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Instead of spending 499 USD, check the JBL MS-8. It is available for 500 / 520 USD. Features are amazing and it has a built in 4 channel amp. Suport for JBL is easily available in india....
1. Zapco is not a great SQ brand. I'd avoid it for someone who is carefully building a system I'd rather spend on a quality 4 ch. amp and add the mono later (when budget permits).

2. The MS8's amp is 20W/ch. The MS 8 is primarily a DSP for TA and EQ and is designed to equallize and align the sound from OEM HUs. The Amp is a bonus.

3. For 25K you can get a good 4 ch. and mono in India from companies like JBL (same guys who made the MS8), Alpine, Kenwood, or Pioneer.

Last edited by navin : 24th February 2012 at 17:10.
Old 24th February 2012, 17:28   #11466
Senior - BHPian

Thank you, Navin. I am honored to get your reply

After some more analysis, the current choices are:

Ground Zero GZIA 4115HPX
Digital Design C4C
Audio System M Line 75.4
Helix B4

The second list of choices are:
JBL GT5-S644
Bull PA4.200
Alpine PMX - F640

I am also looking for the Rainbow Beat amp (as per BBW, we will start getting them by late feb \ early march)

Now, from SQ point of view, what will be the best pick? If there is anything which is better in SQ terms, please tell me.

Last edited by theexperthand : 24th February 2012 at 17:34.
Old 24th February 2012, 18:42   #11467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

3. For 25K you can get a good 4 ch. and mono in India from companies like JBL (same guys who made the MS8), Alpine, Kenwood, or Pioneer.
Navin - MS-8 contains decoders, Portable music player (Ipod tuners) etc built in. The amp is just an added feature. MS-8 is preliminarily a sound processor with built-in amps. I felt that instead of buying an amp for 500 USD JBL MS8 can be purchased.
scopriobharath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 19:27   #11468
BHPian

Quote:
After some more analysis, the current choices are:

Ground Zero GZIA 4115HPX
Digital Design C4C
Audio System M Line 75.4
Helix B4

The second list of choices are:
JBL GT5-S644
Bull PA4.200
Alpine PMX - F640

I am also looking for the Rainbow Beat amp (as per BBW, we will start getting them by late feb \ early march)

Now, from SQ point of view, what will be the best pick? If there is anything which is better in SQ terms, please tell me.
I think you could also consider the Alpine PDX-5 amp..
75w x 4 Full Range + 300w x 1 Sub channel

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qEARYt7...ine-PDX-5.html

about $330 on amazon..
kanhaiyo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2012, 19:38   #11469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Navin - MS-8 contains decoders, Portable music player (Ipod tuners) etc built in. The amp is just an added feature. MS-8 is preliminarily a sound processor with built-in amps. I felt that instead of buying an amp for 500 USD JBL MS8 can be purchased.
Thank you for the inputs, bharat - but in my case, I have Alpine CDA 117, which is a decent HU with TA and other features. As Navin have pointed out, the Amp is just an added feature of MS-8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhaiyo View Post
I think you could also consider the Alpine PDX-5 amp..
75w x 4 Full Range + 300w x 1 Sub channel

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qEARYt7...ine-PDX-5.html

about $330 on amazon..
While the deal looks good on Amazone, it will be out of my reach if I decide to buy it from here. I will keep this model in mind, Thank you Kanhaiyo.
Old 25th February 2012, 09:56   #11470
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Navin - MS-8 contains decoders, Portable music player..I felt that instead of buying an amp for 500 USD JBL MS8 can be purchased.
Sure the MS-late is a good product but it is primarily designed to "de-process" the OEM HU's processing (usualy eq and sometimes compression) and then "re-process" the signal with TA, EQ, etc... to suit Andy's team's vision.

OT: I find most of these processors (have not heard the Bit one) have a processing altorithim that is a bit bright (in tone) and not as accurate in bass management as one could achieve with the human ear. Yes they solve 95% of the problems. However that makes the remaining 5% even more obvious.

Last edited by navin : 25th February 2012 at 09:57.
Old 28th February 2012, 20:36   #11471
Senior - BHPian

Guys which components should I get for my Honda City Type 2?

I am not intended to purchase JBL or Rockford fosgate.I prefer more of the laid back sound than the high on treble sound.

My budget is around 6-7k.

The compos will be run by a JBL1004
cityvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 18:55   #11472
BHPian

Hey gurus,

I have a 2008 Waggie and my current setup includes a pair of Pioneer 500W 6*9s and a JBL basstube(CS-1215T) both running off a Sony 4 channel amp.
Yea, I know the amp is not good, but I got it for real cheap, so I took it up.

The problem is that the sub is way too loud, so I can't get enough treble.
I need more treble in my car, so I think a pair of components will help.
Now, the Waggie only has space to keep a pair of 4" speakers in the front, no space for 6" components.
So which would be a good choice for me? I'm open to any brand, just as long as I get some treble in the front.
Oh, I have a budget o around 5k.
Thanks!!
Speed.Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 19:23   #11473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Hey gurus,

I have a 2008 Waggie and my current setup includes a pair of Pioneer 500W 6*9s and a JBL basstube(CS-1215T) both running off a Sony 4 channel amp.
Yea, I know the amp is not good, but I got it for real cheap, so I took it up.

The problem is that the sub is way too loud, so I can't get enough treble.
I need more treble in my car, so I think a pair of components will help.
Now, the Waggie only has space to keep a pair of 4" speakers in the front, no space for 6" components.
So which would be a good choice for me? I'm open to any brand, just as long as I get some treble in the front.
Oh, I have a budget o around 5k.
Thanks!!
4" Components are not easy to find in the market. The last I heard were from Kicker, but even they are not easily available. You could go in for 4" co-axial in the stock location along with a pair of tweeters, probably placed on the dashboard.

You could try driving the front speakers from the Amp for a better sound stage. Rear could be driven directly by the HU.
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 19:35   #11474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
4" Components are not easy to find in the market. The last I heard were from Kicker, but even they are not easily available. You could go in for 4" co-axial in the stock location along with a pair of tweeters, probably placed on the dashboard.

You could try driving the front speakers from the Amp for a better sound stage. Rear could be driven directly by the HU.
Are 4" co axials good enough?? I mean, do they have adequate treble?
I really do like 6.5" compos, but the thought of drilling open a huge hole in the car's door scares me!
Speed.Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 20:09   #11475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Are 4" co axials good enough?? I mean, do they have adequate treble?
I really do like 6.5" compos, but the thought of drilling open a huge hole in the car's door scares me!
4" Coaxial are just OK. Cannot be compared with 6.5" compos.
mashmash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote