Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2014, 14:04   #12526
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 15
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Hi
i have sony explod HU (CDX GT480us) system in my i10 and four door speakers sony (XS GTF 16252) i m thinking of installing a pair of speakers in the parcel tray. i have jbl gto 959 as an option but availability is an issue. so i look forward for your suggestions. I like clear bass. and my equalizer settings are mostly in a U shape giving me full bass and treble.
Thanks
sonil.luthra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2014, 20:58   #12527
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,068
Thanked: 2,866 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonil.luthra View Post
... I like clear bass. and my equalizer settings are mostly in a U shape giving me full bass and treble. ...
Please set them to a 'flat line'. You are hearing the speakers the way you want, and not they way they sound naturally. If you then say you like "clear bass", that sounds contradictory.

There are other 6x9 coaxials in the market - Pioneer, Polk, Bull, Infinity. Please audition them - you will find a few of them better than the JBL 959.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2014, 21:04   #12528
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 15
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Please set them to a 'flat line'. You are hearing the speakers the way you want, and not they way they sound naturally. If you then say you like "clear bass", that sounds contradictory.

There are other 6x9 coaxials in the market - Pioneer, Polk, Bull, Infinity. Please audition them - you will find a few of them better than the JBL 959.
actually i like music more than the vocals so that is the reason i keep it that way
sonil.luthra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2014, 21:12   #12529
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,068
Thanked: 2,866 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonil.luthra View Post
actually i like music more than the vocals so that is the reason i keep it that way ...
You should realize that your mind will anyhow focus on what you want to listen (drum beats or guitar) and tune out / down what you don't - vocals - no matter what the system is. Unfortunately, you are mistakenly trying to bias the system, which is probably making the system sound worse overall.

This is quite unlike adjusting salt to your taste in a dish.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2014, 21:16   #12530
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 15
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
You should realize that your mind will anyhow focus on what you want to listen (drum beats or guitar) and tune out / down what you don't - vocals - no matter what the system is. Unfortunately, you are mistakenly trying to bias the system, which is probably making the system sound worse overall.

This is quite unlike adjusting salt to your taste in a dish.
i l try flat line this week on your advice
sonil.luthra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2014, 23:00   #12531
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,613
Thanked: 930 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

I say he'll try it and he won't like it :P

While quality bass is good, quantity is still better in my book.

any for your current problem, sonil, your entire system is to blame. It's okay, for somebody who wants to listen to music in the car for a minimal budget if you want more bass, I'd try by (warning : hazardous to pocket)
1. ensure that the speakers are installed with wooden spacers in the door. Most installers will take a short cut and install the speakers directly on the plastic rings on the door. That gives majorly crappy bass. (approx cost - 1k + labour)
2. Rear tray and JBL ovals - this will ensure decent bass in the first place (cost 4.5K +1.5K)
3. JBL speakers in the front (3K or so)
4. Ideally a better HU in front as well, sony stereos tend to have weak bass, so something better would be nice when the sony dies (They usually die in 2-3 years :P)
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:02   #12532
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,068
Thanked: 2,866 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I say he'll try it and he won't like it :P ...
Don't be so cynical!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
... While quality bass is good, quantity is still better in my book. ...
With what he has today, you must be joking.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 14:46   #12533
Senior - BHPian
 
Ajaybiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,354
Thanked: 139 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

U or say V equalizer setting use to be very famous during 90's now the trend is more of mid bass and people usually go flat or ever A shape, listening to trance in that setting is the best way to enjoy and most of the other music genre as well.
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 17:40   #12534
BHPian
 
sudeep.pandya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chhindwara(M.P)
Posts: 181
Thanked: 287 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
U or say V equalizer setting use to be very famous during 90's now the trend is more of mid bass and people usually go flat or ever A shape, listening to trance in that setting is the best way to enjoy and most of the other music genre as well.
Spot on Ajay! I remember people knowing about music used to keep V equalizer setting (That includes me). I think music of that time had more vocals that is why people used to keep it V so that they can enjoy the music more.

However, today songs being inherently bass and treble heavy we are inclining towards a neutral spectrum. The change which I feel in the recent years is that between 2002 - 2009/10/11 people were fans of low frequencies coz it was a new thing for them. Remember Desert Rose song was known for its continuous low frequency music. Now I feel we are moving towards midbass with least intervention of sub frequencies. After all its tiring to listen lows for long. Good midbass feels fresh.
sudeep.pandya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 18:13   #12535
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,068
Thanked: 2,866 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
... people knowing about music used to keep V equalizer setting ...
So you think Sound / Recording Engineers knew / know jack about music? LOL!
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 18:33   #12536
BHPian
 
sudeep.pandya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chhindwara(M.P)
Posts: 181
Thanked: 287 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
So you think Sound / Recording Engineers knew / know jack about music? LOL!
Not that level man To me people "knowing about music" are those who at least know how to set an equalizer and aware of Hi mid lo etc. One of my best friends think that an equalizer is for time pass and it hardly makes a difference to him (his take: why waste time in all this technicalities, just relax and enjoy the lyrics). The V spectrum reminds me of movie Gupt era when my elder cousins used to keep the equalizers that way and gave a free advice of doing the same.
sudeep.pandya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 12:22   #12537
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 612
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Can I buy a JBL - GTO509C crossover from anywhere?

Hi,

I car met with an accident and while repairing service center has managed to lose one crossover unit. Is there anyway I can procure just one crossover? Or the whole component speakers setup is down the drain?

Regards

Nitin
ntomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 14:38   #12538
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,068
Thanked: 2,866 Times
Default Re: Can I buy a JBL - GTO509C crossover from anywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
... Is there anyway I can procure just one crossover? ...
No, no one sells one crossover. Most don't even sell a crossover.

Your best bet is to go to a JBL service center and ask. They might have crossovers that can be salvaged from damaged components.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 16:45   #12539
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,684
Thanked: 1,459 Times
Default Re: Can I buy a JBL - GTO509C crossover from anywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Hi,

I car met with an accident and while repairing service center has managed to lose one crossover unit. Is there anyway I can procure just one crossover? Or the whole component speakers setup is down the drain?

Regards

Nitin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
No, no one sells one crossover. Most don't even sell a crossover.

Your best bet is to go to a JBL service center and ask. They might have crossovers that can be salvaged from damaged components.
It might be available from some of the online shopping. One example from eBay is below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/20110...f14=108&ff19=0

I don't know if this is what you are looking for even

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 17:50   #12540
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,068
Thanked: 2,866 Times
Default Re: Can I buy a JBL - GTO509C crossover from anywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
It might be available from some of the online shopping. One example from eBay is below ...
Though this one is not the right one (it is for Soundstream components, not JBL; they are likely to be different), yes that channel is one possibility.

One would still prefer to get it from the JBL Service Center, as one can trust the genuineness and health of the cross-over.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
sub enclosure advice from audio gurus clipto333 In-Car Entertainment 22 4th January 2007 11:29
Please Read This Thread *Before* Posting in the "What Car?" Section adya33 What Car? 0 12th July 2006 19:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks