Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2005, 18:00   #1291
BHPian
 
SoundManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 163
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

sorry guys! but the price I quoted is of the grey market and not under bill & W. Btw what would the same come to with bill & W?

Also, you guys say I can go ahead with the combo?
SoundManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 18:05   #1292
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,985
Thanked: 1,366 Times
Default

OK So for those of you that wanted to see the pictures of the Audio Exhibition we had in New Delhi here it is

http://www.fxaudio.com/news/news.htm
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 18:10   #1293
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,985
Thanked: 1,366 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundManiac
sorry guys! but the price I quoted is of the grey market and not under bill & W. Btw what would the same come to with bill & W?

Also, you guys say I can go ahead with the combo?
SM, see whats happening to Camry. He feels secure because his unit is under B&W. If you buy one without and you get a similar problem, then what will you do?

If thats a chance you're willing to take, buy without B&W. I dont know the price with B&W but somebody will chip in with that pretty soon.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 18:11   #1294
BHPian
 
SoundManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 163
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Notice that Sam is online... might as well get to other queries.

My budget for speakers/amp/sub et all is another 12,000/- bucks.
This is what I had in mind.
1) JBL 606 compos for the front doors of the swift 6000/-
2) JBl 936 e for the rear. 4750/-
NO amp, no sub as no budget!

So, would this be fine? or I will need an amp for the setup?
Saw something similar posted b4, but wanted Sam's and/or Navin's
comment on this.
SoundManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 18:17   #1295
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,735
Thanked: 414 Times
Thumbs up Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
My 40 years of experience jibe was at your freind Vivek who had posted this above. This is personal and has a lot of sarcasm. Rest Sam, what I have in my car, or what I advocate is nothing to do with you. I have a free will and can make my own decisions. Advise from you is like going through a JBL price list, my advise is unbiased. I am not making money by selling JBL on this forum. I have no vested interest, my advise is for the people to read, if they like it they can listen to it, else they can listen to you.
You might have 16 years of experience, but dont be so insecure about yourself. Everything you have written so far about me is in a very bad taste.
I wanted to bring to attention of fellow BHPians that everything I had written above was out of anger and short sightedness. After reading what Sam had to say about me, I became trigger happy and wrote whatever came to mind, just like any human being would react. I hope the members of this forum and Sam are kind enough to forgive me for my outburst.

I think I have said it many times before and I have no problems reiterating it; Sam is a great guy. He is an asset to all of us here in this forum. We all benefit from his advise. Even my own system was based on his advise, so you know how much I value his suggestions. Sam helped me personally in settling a dispute with JBL seller, he was also the only one to wish me on my birthday in this forum.

Off late we had been debating a lot over my newly acquired knowledge and his years of wisdom. I think this led to a lot of friction between us, and it finally boiled down to a point where we both exploded. This was totally uncalled for; I feel we all have the right for a healthy discussion over any topic. Knowledge is best when shared, discussed and debated, as this leads to newer ideas. Thats what I was taught and I am sure Sam will agree to this as well.

Lastly I didn't mean to bring any harm to JBL brand image in this forum. We all here agree that one should buy speakers in brands that specialize in making speakers. JBL makes some quality speakers and are easily available in India. They are a little towards the brighter side for my taste, however most people like their bright sound. I would happily recommend JBL to any of my freinds, as I know I will be recommending them a quality product.

Last edited by aseem : 8th September 2005 at 18:22.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 18:25   #1296
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,963
Thanked: 3,504 Times
Default

Geez, Aseem. lets not bring this up anymore. ok! pleeeeeeeze!
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 18:25   #1297
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,985
Thanked: 1,366 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundManiac
Notice that Sam is online... might as well get to other queries.

My budget for speakers/amp/sub et all is another 12,000/- bucks.
This is what I had in mind.
1) JBL 606 compos for the front doors of the swift 6000/-
2) JBl 936 e for the rear. 4750/-
NO amp, no sub as no budget!

So, would this be fine? or I will need an amp for the setup?
Saw something similar posted b4, but wanted Sam's and/or Navin's
comment on this.
It will sound good amigo, but much much better when you get an amplifier. Maybe not now, maybe later. Even a low budget 4 channel amplifier will make a world of a difference.
Even this is a good setup (which car?) but aim for an amp eventually.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 18:26   #1298
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,985
Thanked: 1,366 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Off late we had been debating a lot over my newly acquired knowledge and his years of wisdom. I think this led to a lot of friction between us, and it finally boiled down to a point where we both exploded. This was totally uncalled for; I feel we all have the right for a healthy discussion over any topic. Knowledge is best when shared, discussed and debated, as this leads to newer ideas. Thats what I was taught and I am sure Sam will agree to this as well.
Couldn't agree more. Peace.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 18:29   #1299
BHPian
 
SoundManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 163
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

[quote=Sam]SM, see whats happening to Camry. He feels secure because his unit is under B&W. If you buy one without and you get a similar problem, then what will you do?[quote]

Thats a 'grey' area! But i've been taking systems of the grey market for the past many years from this chap - and haven't had a problem till date. Once after 2 years of use, my sony cassette deck gave a minor prob but was rectified for 250 bucks! So, I Know I'm taking a risk but my budget drives me to it.

Also, I heard duplicate/fakes is a problem more prevalent in Speakers. In HU's I am led to believe fakes is not a problem, after sales service is. If my HU gives a problem then the Authorised sony service centres are always there - thought they might charge a lil extra. And as fakes is a problem in speakers, I Plan to go for JBL speakers with BIll & W.
SoundManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 18:38   #1300
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,985
Thanked: 1,366 Times
Default

If you're confident then go ahead, cos the price is killer!
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 18:46   #1301
BHPian
 
SoundManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 163
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
It will sound good amigo, but much much better when you get an amplifier. Maybe not now, maybe later. Even a low budget 4 channel amplifier will make a world of a difference.
Even this is a good setup (which car?) but aim for an amp eventually.
I'm planning it for the Swift.


I read you(Sam) recommending, in a post before, JBL 636 coaxials in the rear for Swift. I thought in my case, where i'm not planning to go for a sub, 936 would give me more bass and hence more suitable (for my case). Am I right in this above Perception or would you say 636 will do the needfull for the bass?
SoundManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 18:50   #1302
Senior - BHPian
 
k_ajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,152
Thanked: 443 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundManiac
Notice that Sam is online... might as well get to other queries.

My budget for speakers/amp/sub et all is another 12,000/- bucks.
This is what I had in mind.
1) JBL 606 compos for the front doors of the swift 6000/-
2) JBl 936 e for the rear. 4750/-
NO amp, no sub as no budget!

So, would this be fine? or I will need an amp for the setup?
Saw something similar posted b4, but wanted Sam's and/or Navin's
comment on this.
I have a similar setup on my Indica. Just have the 506 components.. They sound excellent, and when I heard them with a clarion amp [for testing], they sounded .... ummmm, what can I say? Brilliant....

I had a similar budget such as yours, and I too recommend you add an amp, sooner or later. You'll only be too glad you did. The Clarion had good power. So does JBL and better power. [CS50.4, as suggested by fellow bhpians].
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 18:57   #1303
BHPian
 
SoundManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 163
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
If you're confident then go ahead, cos the price is killer!
Thanks man!

Now for the speaker placement queries.

1) the swift doors have a plastic grill for the speakers. Do the JBL 606 compos fit in them or do we need to cut the grill Off for better sound?

2) Where to place the tweeters? On dash or side pillars? or elsewhere?

3) How about the Rear speakers, Parcel tray/boxes/rear doors? Guys have been giving plywood trays and plywood boxes. Are these ok?


PS just coz i've addressed Navin and sam doesn't mean others can't chip in. Aseem waiting for your comments too. Just chill man. We love you just as much!!!
SoundManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 19:02   #1304
BHPian
 
SoundManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 163
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay
I have a similar setup on my Indica. Just have the 506 components.. They sound excellent, and when I heard them with a clarion amp [for testing], they sounded .... ummmm, what can I say? Brilliant....

I had a similar budget such as yours, and I too recommend you add an amp, sooner or later. You'll only be too glad you did. The Clarion had good power. So does JBL and better power. [CS50.4, as suggested by fellow bhpians].

Thanks Ajay!!

I will think of adding an amp at a later date but what if I don't?

Just want to be sure that the setup will work fine even if I dont' add an amp at a later date!!!
SoundManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 19:04   #1305
Senior - BHPian
 
aseem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,735
Thanked: 414 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundManiac
Thanks man!

Now for the speaker placement queries.

1) the swift doors have a plastic grill for the speakers. Do the JBL 606 compos fit in them or do we need to cut the grill Off for better sound?

2) Where to place the tweeters? On dash or side pillars? or elsewhere?

3) How about the Rear speakers, Parcel tray/boxes/rear doors? Guys have been giving plywood trays and plywood boxes. Are these ok?


PS just coz i've addressed Navin and sam doesn't mean others can't chip in. Aseem waiting for your comments too. Just chill man. We love you just as much!!!
I have the following setup in my Swift:

The 606 Components in the front door panels. no need to cut the grill, they fit perfect.

I have placed the tweeters on the sideview mirrors. It looks as good as a custom job. I made a small hole on the plastic panels that house the internally adjustable sideview mirrors, and attached the tweeters there (I am not sure how to explain this properly, do you get what I am trying to say???)

I have JBL 636 in my rear doors in factory provided location for speakers. They fit nicely. I advise against the use of tray, as Swift is already cramped for space in the trunk, you dont want to minimize it further by putting a tray. On top, if done incorrectly, the tray can vibrate and lead to cabin noise.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
sub enclosure advice from audio gurus clipto333 In-Car Entertainment 22 4th January 2007 11:29
Please Read This Thread *Before* Posting in the "What Car?" Section adya33 What Car? 0 12th July 2006 19:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks