Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > In-Car Entertainment


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2016, 14:44   #13351
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,544
Thanked: 780 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
When I checked the Havells site it showed 16 and 25 but no 20mm. Which one is the exact equivalent of 4ga? And are these 100% OFC?
yup you're right, it seems there is no common 20sq mm = 4ga power cable

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ick-wires.html (So.... why do we need those thick wires??)

for more info
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 18:39   #13352
BHPian
 
sai_ace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CBE-BLR
Posts: 263
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

After much deliberation and thinking I have dropped the idea of going heavy on my Linea's audio upgrade. As of now I just want to upgrade the stock speakers for a little bit more bass. So looking at the least expensive speaker upgrade for my Linea and that would be driven by the stock HU.

Front - I was looking at the Blaupunkt 65.2 Components (@Rs2839) or Blaupunkt VC 652 comps (@4098)

Rear - Polk db 651 coax (@2939).

I have tried finding reviews and i couldnt find any. Request the members here to shed some light on the choices I have made.

Cheers!
sai
sai_ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 19:44   #13353
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,859 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
When I checked the Havells site it showed 16 and 25 but no 20mm. Which one is the exact equivalent of 4ga? And are these 100% OFC? ...
4ga / 4AWG is 21.15 sq.mm. The nearest Indian equivalent is 20sq.mm.

What is the rating of your amp? At a pinch, you can actually use 16sq.mm. without being anxious about voltage drop over that short length of cable. 25sq.mm. would be an overkill both in terms of stiffness and crimp lugs.

OFC is associated with speaker cables, not power cables which only carry DC.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 20:08   #13354
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,859 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
... If you are ever in Delhi we can see it together!
The last I had tried, and found that it has no effect, was in 2007. I anyhow don't use equalizer or any other modifiers, neither in the iPod nor on the HU (Kenwood Excelon).

Alas, I was in Delhi for a couple of weeks in October - would have been nice to meet up. Maybe next time!
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 20:12   #13355
Distinguished - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,063
Thanked: 2,859 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
... Front - I was looking at the Blaupunkt 65.2 Components (@Rs2839) or Blaupunkt VC 652 comps (@4098) ...
The VC series is far better in terms of midbass and highs (neutral, not bright).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
... Rear - Polk db 651 coax (@2939). ...
Please audition it in a car. Polk DB series can be shrill / bright for many. You shouldn't be disappointed after buying.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2016, 21:01   #13356
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gurgaon, HR
Posts: 169
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
After much deliberation and thinking I have dropped the idea of going heavy on my Linea's audio upgrade. As of now I just want to upgrade the stock speakers for a little bit more bass. So looking at the least expensive speaker upgrade for my Linea and that would be driven by the stock HU.

Front - I was looking at the Blaupunkt 65.2 Components (@Rs2839) or Blaupunkt VC 652 comps (@4098)

Rear - Polk db 651 coax (@2939).

I have tried finding reviews and i couldnt find any. Request the members here to shed some light on the choices I have made.

Cheers!
sai
Both Blaupunkt and Polk Audio are very bright in my opinion, having had both brands in my car over the years. I would suggest the Hertz ESK series, as I found it easier on the ear. While I understand you have budgetary constraints, I would suggest you up your budget some and look seriously at the Rainbow EL C5.2. These are superb quality and available on motorheader.com for Rs. 11,690. The experience will be vastly different from what you're used to with the usually available brands (Blaupunkt, Hertz etc). You can buy something very basic for your rear fill speakers, but I'm a firm believer in investing well on the front components, to avoid "upgraditis"

Last edited by HighwayofLife : 16th November 2016 at 21:03.
HighwayofLife is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 11:03   #13357
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gurgaon, Alwar
Posts: 447
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Need your help.

I have been trying to design pods for dayton audio dc28f.

The issue is, I am trying to mount the tweeters on the a-pillars utilising pvc pipes cut to shape so that the tweeters face the headrests diagonally.

However, I have no idea as of now on how to mount these pods on the a-pillars.

Pls suggest solutions.

Attaching the pics for reference.Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_6787.jpg

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_6802.jpg

Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_6801.jpg

The other option is that I attach soehow these pods on the dashboard, somewhat like this:
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_6790.jpg
Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!-img_6791.jpg
deepfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 11:18   #13358
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,544
Thanked: 780 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

I think using something spherical might make more sense. a cricket ball cut in two or 2/3d?
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 12:52   #13359
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gurgaon, HR
Posts: 169
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Need your help.

I have been trying to design pods for dayton audio dc28f.

The issue is, I am trying to mount the tweeters on the a-pillars utilising pvc pipes cut to shape so that the tweeters face the headrests diagonally.

However, I have no idea as of now on how to mount these pods on the a-pillars.

Pls suggest solutions.

Attaching the pics for reference.Attachment 1576081

Attachment 1576082

Attachment 1576083

The other option is that I attach soehow these pods on the dashboard, somewhat like this:
Attachment 1576084
Attachment 1576085
Is it possible to separate the tweeter from that massive base-plate? If yes, I can share pictures of my custom aluminium pods, if you can PM me your number. If you can't separate them, then you need to do some fibre-glass fabrication on your A-pillar trim.

This is routinely done by both Driven and Motor Concept in Delhi, for mounting the mid-bass unit of three-way components. This doesn't appear to be much larger than those.
HighwayofLife is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 13:46   #13360
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 21,596
Thanked: 3,274 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
Attaching the pics for reference.Attachment 1576081
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
Is it possible to separate the tweeter from that massive base-plate? .
It should be. Parts Express sells a truncated base plate for the same tweeter

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...eters--275-138
navin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 14:09   #13361
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gurgaon, Alwar
Posts: 447
Thanked: 115 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I think using something spherical might make more sense. a cricket ball cut in two or 2/3d?
I have been looking for some small desktop/laptop speakers so that I could use their body to fit in these tweeters and mount them on the a pillars using nuts/screws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
Is it possible to separate the tweeter from that massive base-plate? If yes, I can share pictures of my custom aluminium pods, if you can PM me your number. If you can't separate them, then you need to do some fibre-glass fabrication on your A-pillar trim.

This is routinely done by both Driven and Motor Concept in Delhi, for mounting the mid-bass unit of three-way components. This doesn't appear to be much larger than those.
I have PM you my number.

I am not competent enough to separate the flange from the tweeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
It should be. Parts Express sells a truncated base plate for the same tweeter

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...eters--275-138
THanks. I am going to give it a try. But I do not know how to separate the flanges from the body.
deepfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 14:32   #13362
BHPian
 
invincible7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 633
Thanked: 125 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

You can get them fiber glassed by someone for a better symmetrical shape with A pillars and also aim them better. Just my 2 cents, it wont cost that much as well and should look way better.
invincible7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 17:36   #13363
BHPian
 
sai_ace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CBE-BLR
Posts: 263
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The VC series is far better in terms of midbass and highs (neutral, not bright).

Please audition it in a car. Polk DB series can be shrill / bright for many. You shouldn't be disappointed after buying.
Thank you for the reply! I have heard the polk db 651 comps+coax combo (with an alipin cda117) and it is quite bright but had nice punch as well. Thought that the brightness was due to the comps up front. My idea was to compensate for the lack of bass with these polk coaxs at the rear. Whereas the comps up front will be neutral but clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
Both Blaupunkt and Polk Audio are very bright in my opinion, having had both brands in my car over the years. I would suggest the Hertz ESK series, as I found it easier on the ear. While I understand you have budgetary constraints, I would suggest you up your budget some and look seriously at the Rainbow EL C5.2. These are superb quality and available on motorheader.com for Rs. 11,690. The experience will be vastly different from what you're used to with the usually available brands (Blaupunkt, Hertz etc). You can buy something very basic for your rear fill speakers, but I'm a firm believer in investing well on the front components, to avoid "upgraditis"
Thank you for your reply. I would defintely try looking at the Hertz but the rainbow is clearly over my budget. That said, another reason for me to go basic is also that the speakers would be limited by the Stock HU. Beyond a point I thinkthe speakers arent going to deliver anything significant thanks to the HU.
sai_ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2016, 19:04   #13364
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gurgaon, HR
Posts: 169
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Beyond a point I thinkthe speakers arent going to deliver anything significant thanks to the HU.
That's not right. I've found that speakers are what counts when it comes to sound quality, even if you don't connect an amp within the setup

My point is more around investing on the right hardware once and sticking to it after. This is a lesson I learnt after spending incrementally on upgrades (and I spent a lot more than I realized incrementally) and not getting desired results. And if you love music in your car, like I do, you'll get upgraditis, unless you get stuff that satisfies what you're looking for
HighwayofLife is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2016, 13:15   #13365
Senior - BHPian
 
straight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,288
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
4ga / 4AWG is 21.15 sq.mm. The nearest Indian equivalent is 20sq.mm.

What is the rating of your amp? At a pinch, you can actually use 16sq.mm. without being anxious about voltage drop over that short length of cable. 25sq.mm. would be an overkill both in terms of stiffness and crimp lugs.

OFC is associated with speaker cables, not power cables which only carry DC.
The terminals don't seem to be big enough for 4ga but I can use gauge reducers for that.

Here are the specs of the amp:-

Power Specifications - Full Range Channels
RMS Power @ 4 ohms 50 watts x 4 channels
RMS Power @ 2 ohms 100 watts x 4 channels
Bridged RMS Power 200 watts x 2 channels
Power Specifications - Subwoofer Channel
RMS Power @ 4 ohms 200 watts x 1 channels
RMS Power @ 2 ohms 400 watts x 1 channels
Amplifier Specifications
Amplifier Class AB
Number of Channels 5
Total Peak Power Output 1400 watts
Total RMS Power Output 800 watts
Maximum Input Gauge Size 4 AWG
Minimum Impedance Unbridged 2 ohms
Minimum Impedance Bridged 4 ohms
THD at Rated RMS Power .05%
Speaker Level Inputs No
Preamp Outputs No
Built-in Crossover Low-Pass (LP)
High-Pass (HP)
Full (AP)
High-Pass Crossover Frequency 40 - 250 Hz
Low-Pass Crossover Frequency 40 - 250 Hz
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 94 dB
Bass Boost 0 - 18 dB
Bass/Gain Remote Optional (Accessory required and sold separately)
Fan Cooled No
Fuse Rating 30A x 2
CEA-2006 Compliant No
Amp Bluetooth Connectivity No

I checked out the Polycab 25 sq.mm cable and it was very flexible but it had just one layer of pvc on top of the copper.

Last edited by straight6 : 18th November 2016 at 13:30.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
sub enclosure advice from audio gurus clipto333 In-Car Entertainment 22 4th January 2007 11:29
Please Read This Thread *Before* Posting in the "What Car?" Section adya33 What Car? 0 12th July 2006 19:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks